Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Xander B Coolridge posted:

This is simultaneously one of the funniest episodes yet, and the one that I had to stop watching out of frustration. Russ is so terrible at this game.

is Russ still the cameraman, because I almost couldn't get through last week's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DoctorWhat posted:

oh yes, people with anxiety are never worth talking or listening to and can never have a valid point

jackass

Like I don't even buy into their arguments, really, but you're attitude is real bad about Literally Depressed Teens

:chillout:

it's a joke and is centered among one specific responder who is claiming it's not diverse enough and that green taakos are racist and black merle is bad because he's a deadbeat dad and at some point you just become somebody who is looking to be sad about everything and actually should be ignored on a 'grand scheme of reponses' level, not individually

The anxiety part was a lovely comment though, I def didn't mean anything like that and I'm sorry.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
it's SO EASY to get into the mindset that all complaints are bad-faith bullshit - it means you don't have to think too hard about rough stuff! - but giving into that impulse can harden your heart and make you a less caring, less kind person.

It's what MAGA CHUDs and other shitheads do all the time and it's an impulse that needs to be resisted.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I do think it's not a great look when you say you're going to re-evaluate the racial representation of your main characters, and then part of your solution is to turn one of them blue. I don't think blue Taako is a bad or racist idea in itself, but in the context of what they promised fans they were doing with the character designs, it's a bit of a faceplant.

Black Merle seems fine to me, though.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Surely having your dark-skinned character named Taako is a sucky option too?

I wonder just how much they wished they'd just called him goddamn Jeff at this point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kenny Logins posted:

The fact that something is not high concept is not an indicator of a lack of quality, any more than something being high concept is any indication as to whether it's good.

I don't really know what you mean by 'high concept' here. I wouldn't watch a movie or a TV show that I had no idea what it was aside from "people talk about things".

Is mbmbam high concept? Is cool games Inc high concept? I just like podcasts with some kind of uniting framework like "we give advice" or "we talk about action/sci-fi movies" rather than "some people have a conversation".

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

dmboogie posted:

is Russ still the cameraman, because I almost couldn't get through last week's

Naw, it's Pat. Russ just got d/c after accidentally throwing a grenade at Griffin.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kojiro posted:

I wonder just how much they wished they'd just called him goddamn Jeff at this point.

Or that they hadn't suggested doing a graphic novel of TAZ. No depiction of them could possibly satisfy everyone.

e: Unless maybe they just drew the characters to look like J/T/C in cosplay or something.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Or that they hadn't suggested doing a graphic novel of TAZ. No depiction of them could possibly satisfy everyone.

Despite some of their lovely fans, I'm sure it brings the McElroys joy to see their characters/ideas put into graphic novel form. I hope they're able to enjoy it for what it is! I know I will, it looks great!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

SpacePig posted:

e: Unless maybe they just drew the characters to look like J/T/C in cosplay or something.
No, then people would be complaining about all of them being white.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

SpacePig posted:

I don't think "we can't satisfy everyone so we just won't do it at all" is the right attitude either. I think their attitude of "we can't please everyone but we'll do our best to do the things we want to do the right way" is the best possible approach, even if it makes some people unhappy.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

purple death ray posted:

I don't really know what you mean by 'high concept' here. I wouldn't watch a movie or a TV show that I had no idea what it was aside from "people talk about things".

Is mbmbam high concept? Is cool games Inc high concept? I just like podcasts with some kind of uniting framework like "we give advice" or "we talk about action/sci-fi movies" rather than "some people have a conversation".
Many good podcasts are hard to sell people on by succinctly describing them (one or two sentences). There are some that are easy to sell which also happen to be good but it seems fairly rare at this point. Easy sales pitches can translate into success/popularity but not all successful/popular things are good.

I find this to be particularly true of podcasts these days. All the stuff I really and truly like is based on trying it for at least a few eps but often closer to several; I've never had a single ep of anything sell me on it. It's a problem that links to ads too.

Podcasts are a hard sell.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I do think it's not a great look when you say you're going to re-evaluate the racial representation of your main characters, and then part of your solution is to turn one of them blue. I don't think blue Taako is a bad or racist idea in itself, but in the context of what they promised fans they were doing with the character designs, it's a bit of a faceplant.

Black Merle seems fine to me, though.

Actually if you read the Twitter comments, it's ~PROBLEMATIC~ that the deadbeat dad character is black.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Stroop There It Is posted:

No, then people would be complaining about all of them being white.

Yeah, but the people they're depicting are also white. You could also still just change their skin colors.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don't think "we can't satisfy everyone so we just won't do it at all" is the right attitude either. I think their attitude of "we can't please everyone but we'll do our best to do the things we want to do the right way" is the best possible approach, even if it makes some people unhappy.

I agree, honestly, but I also think that's what they're doing. The first draft had them all as white guys, and people understandably complained. So they changed Taako's skin color, nominally, but he's an elf, so there's not a whole lot you can do with that. And the updated Merle does have some stouter/wider facial features, but I'm not sure. But it's 3 characters, there's only so much representation you can get from them. Once Carrie and Killian and all of them start showing up, I'm sure we'll get way broader representation. Hell, the popular depiction of Angus these days is a black kid, which the GN will probably go with, which is cool. But I'm a white guy, so I honestly can't speak to what it must feel like to not get representation by major actors in basically all media.

I think my biggest confusion is that green-skinned elf=antisemitism. That baffles me, but I'm also not Jewish.

e: I have seen a decent number of animations that show Taako as way more effeminate and more stereotypically gay, I guess, so that might also be an issue people are having.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 1, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah, I had literally never encountered the green elf = code for Jewish before. At this point they are reviving and spreading forms of racism that actual racists stopped using a million years ago

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

purple death ray posted:

Yeah, I had literally never encountered the green elf = code for Jewish before. At this point they are reviving and spreading forms of racism that actual racists stopped using a million years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFj5lFZCNdQ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Boy just when Awful Squad was starting to get a bit dull they introduce Mom Simone and make it gold

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The audience applauds hornily.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr E posted:

The audience applauds hornily.
I choose to believe it was mostly a holdover from that really great duck.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

purple death ray posted:

I saw somebody mention that Taako was coded as latinx and Jewish. So maybe they mean anti-Semitic in that Taako is drawn Jewish? It's still dumb, but a different, perhaps lesser kind of dumb.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Twitter was a mistake.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is this seriously gonna go right from 'hey guys controversial opinion but don't ads suck' to 'hey guys like three twitter eggs said this was bad boy howdy those people am I right',

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Who What Now posted:

I saw somebody mention that Taako was coded as latinx and Jewish. So maybe they mean anti-Semitic in that Taako is drawn Jewish? It's still dumb, but a different, perhaps lesser kind of dumb.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "coded"? Does it mean that's what people interpreted him as? Because I understand getting Latino from the name Taako, but I don't understand where people might be getting Jewish from.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

is this seriously gonna go right from 'hey guys controversial opinion but don't ads suck' to 'hey guys like three twitter eggs said this was bad boy howdy those people am I right',

You clearly didn't read the Twitter thread.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I didn't like this TAZ as much as the last one, but it was okay. Usually when non-comedy things happen, it's for the sake of drama, but this one was cute and sweet. I'm glad we got confirmation of the fact that the SB crew have grown much closer over the years, since so far we've only recieved glimpses of a few relationships. Graphic novel also looks good.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Pretty hosed up that the DM is yet another white guy imho

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SpacePig posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "coded"? Does it mean that's what people interpreted him as? Because I understand getting Latino from the name Taako, but I don't understand where people might be getting Jewish from.

Yes, "coded" is another way to say that a character is portrayed a certain way, usually by the way they act and talk as opposed to how they look. Like a male character that acts effeminate and makes a lot of puns about dicks can be considered to be coded gay. Moriarty in BBC's Sherlock is coded gay, for example.

As for where the Jewish thing comes from? Uhhh... Taako said "bubalah" once?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Pretty hosed up that the DM is yet another white guy imho

Personally, I think the McElroy brothers just aren't diverse enough, they should get rid of Travis and bring in a PoC.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He has nails of color, is that good enough?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

He has nails of color, is that good enough?

They're probably racist colors.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The sad thing about the TAZ fandom being crazy racist is that it's starting to spread to other McElroy Cinematic Universe products. Someone on the Rose Buddies page wanted Griffin to stop saying boy because there was a black person.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Someone mentioned interest upthread a bit in maybe a general Polygon video thread? I'm also very interested in somewhere to talk about the good stuff without this TAZ nonsense

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Fandoms are the literal worst.

Taako is an inhuman colour on the official artwork they've had since ep1, him being fully green or blue isn't a stretch.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CainsDescendant posted:

Someone mentioned interest upthread a bit in maybe a general Polygon video thread? I'm also very interested in somewhere to talk about the good stuff without this TAZ nonsense

if you make a dedicated polygon thread anywhere it will be absolutely swarmed with people hating on the site and you will quickly regret it, even to this day I sometimes get 'lol gently caress polygon and all the hacks on the site, didn't you see that Doom video' when i recommend watching stuff like car boys/touch the skyrim

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

if you make a dedicated polygon thread anywhere it will be absolutely swarmed with people hating on the site and you will quickly regret it, even to this day I sometimes get 'lol gently caress polygon and all the hacks on the site, didn't you see that Doom video' when i recommend watching stuff like car boys/touch the skyrim

Maybe clear thread rules could be made that would keep that at a minimum? I would hope mods would enforce thread-specific rules against threadshitting.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ojjeorago posted:

The sad thing about the TAZ fandom being crazy racist is that it's starting to spread to other McElroy Cinematic Universe products. Someone on the Rose Buddies page wanted Griffin to stop saying boy because there was a black person.

Yeah, it always feels like there's this group of people on the internet looking up the most esoteric, ancient, no-longer-used forms of racism throughout history who then use that knowledge to accuse almost anything of being racist, to the point where now people are accusing blue-skinned elf Taako as offensive to Jews, and Griffin of being racist because he says the word "boy" all the time. I think the shittiest thing it does is de-legitimize actual accusations of racism.

It makes it hard enough to describe people or characters in any medium, especially for the McElroys who are trying really really hard not to offend anyone, and whose fans seem to live off of this stuff.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Who What Now posted:

As for where the Jewish thing comes from? Uhhh... Taako said "bubalah" once?
Taako has been coded as Harry Ellis (i.e. sleazy yuppie beardo from Die Hard) this whole entire time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My opinion is that if green elves were really as prominent an anti-semitic symbol as this person says, we'd have seen a whole loving lot of them during 2016.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Scudworth posted:

Fandoms are the literal worst.

Taako is an inhuman colour on the official artwork they've had since ep1, him being fully green or blue isn't a stretch.

He looks pale. That's not exactly inhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What's up with the head sillouette in the background above Merle?