Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That moment when you realize the host turned up his torrents in Wave 6

http://i.imgur.com/37izr8f.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's ok at X if you spec a Turian soldier for accuracy and use an ammo mod. Eventually, it gets to the point where you can use it as a mid-range rifle and just aim at the crotch because the 'pull' stops after rising a couple inches.

Please don't doxx how I masturbate

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

That's a lotta investment in a crap gun though.

Same build works with Revenant, Ghost, and Soned. It's more for when you're unlucky and max out a poo poo weapon first. Might as well get the challenges knocked out!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One change they did that I do really like is that if you join in mid-match and extract you get full credits/xp even if you legit joined at the end of wave 6

It really incentivizes creating games with only 2 or 3 people because people ALWAYS join mid-match

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So a little tip for you guys that don't already know this, but the human kineticist is GOD MODE!!! Max out ascendency first then go barrier for some more shields then GO TO TOWN!!! Always try to get ascendency up first. When it's maxed out you can get it up in only 3 kills. General strategy of mine is to tap pull and lance weaker enemies in the air. Pulling and throwing dudes off cliffs is fun but can get tedious and isn't as effective as creating biotic explosions all the time. For the stronger enemies just lance them to death. Once you get your GOD MODE on you can start doing some really fun stuff! Infinite pulling and lancing dudes for explosions is fun, as well as infinite lancing shielded and armored targets. Always, always, ALWAYS keep an eye on your shields. Once your shields go out you'll lose ascendency so play conservatively and don't spam powers when your shields are low. With full barrier you can keep your shields up easier and your powers only drain about 10% of your shields so go nuts with the powers!!!!!

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 27, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another thing to remember about the Kineticist is that in Ascendency you get DR so she can actually make the switch to a run-and-gun style against enemies that are Shielded or Armored.

She's one of the few UR classes that seems like it can be great even without maxing character cards because maxing her two Passives is the most important thing by far for making her Godlike and you can do that just by getting her to level 11 or 12.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Outlaw completely screws Kineticist though. 5x armoured enemies (Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan and Hydra). On top of that you have those bastard snipers who will 100 to 0 your shields if you get hit, so you have to play like a super pansy when theres a laser sight on you.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

WanderingKid posted:

Outlaw completely screws Kineticist though. 5x armoured enemies (Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan and Hydra). On top of that you have those bastard snipers who will 100 to 0 your shields if you get hit, so you have to play like a super pansy when theres a laser sight on you.

Take the melee restores barriers ability then just punch everything to death in ascension. With all your DR you're super hard to kill and can basically melee tank multiple berserkers.

(until the lag hits and suddenly you're just meleeing a wall 20 feet away and then an adhi comes and kills you)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Outlaws are the reason you throw Juggernaut Shield and a shotgun on your Kineticist.

"Thought I was harmless, did you?"

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
What's the closest thing I can get to a phaeston? the X5 is garbo at rank 1 and the thokin does not have enough reserve ammo.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The charger or the revenant, pretty much. Maybe the cyclone? It was buffed recently.

The real best full-auto AR is the raptor, but it has a pretty small mag size.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Man, once you get six Strike Teams up and going, you can really farm out the mission funds needed for EXP III Enhancers. Life is so better when you're earning, at minimum, a level per a run at Silver or higher.

The app is semi-atrocious but once you figure out where everything is, you can run strike missions like clockwork.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tasoth posted:

What's the closest thing I can get to a phaeston? the X5 is garbo at rank 1 and the thokin does not have enough reserve ammo.

The X5 is very similar to the Phaeston, it seems to me, but I have it at rank 3 and have a ton of Assault Rifle amps leftover from when there was no assault rifle worth using.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

So, I earned some credits and opened a lot of packs.

110 of them to be precise. Most of them the premium ones.
Wrote down every drop into a spreadsheet, now someone else can analyze and do magic:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19FoykHFfKOd_1x5K01GIwFQ9FPKez487aJF7mFmUVTg/edit?usp=sharing

First sheet is what I input, second sheet is colour coding it according to rarity and stuff. Those two are locked, but third sheet and on is open for anyone to edit. Make me some nice graphs or whatever, if you want to. I can't comment on what pack to buy, I am really bad at figuring out those kind of things, which is why I post it here, hoping someone else can do the magic.

Edit: Opened some more crates, added and colour coded. Also put what the different colours mean at the top. Ammo is separate, so you can see how common it is. If someone more knowledgeable about google sheets then me can do a thing where characters and weapons have some way to tell apart, please do. Just copy the whole thing to another sheet and go for it.

I will also stop adding to it unless someone (anyone) tells me I should continue. If no-one cares, I won't bother. All this data might be out there already, I don't know.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 29, 2017

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I have all my basic characters and weapons at X and most of the mods, should I move up to the 20K pack or just hop onto the 100K ones?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

A lot of the 20k characters and weapons are decent but it depends on whether you want to hope you get a specific Rare/URare or just churn through a few golds and max out the uncommons. I did and don't regret it. Stop at the chars/weapons though. The weapon mods at that level aren't great so I didn't bother with them once i had the chars/weapons at X.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to get my kinectist and duellist more cards, but both are ultra rare so lol I guess

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rare weapon mods are the absolute worst. Doing some quick math, I have all Rare characters maxed, several Rare guns nearly maxed and most between 3 and 5, and have gotten around 20 or 30 UR drops.

I don't have a single Rare weapon mod higher than 3. THREE. And still have 3 UR characters not even unlocked (I must be really unlucky because the RNG is supposed to favor character cards over weapons).

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, you'd think they would just provide an option to pay an exorbitant amount of Mission Funds to upgrade cards you already have.

Like if it was:
200 for Ultra Rare
150 for Rare
100 for Silver

Then you could get about two UR upgrades a week on top of box unlocks. Which won't let you max out immediately but at least provides an upgrade path for when you hit the wall.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

precision posted:

Rare weapon mods are the absolute worst. Doing some quick math, I have all Rare characters maxed, several Rare guns nearly maxed and most between 3 and 5, and have gotten around 20 or 30 UR drops.

I don't have a single Rare weapon mod higher than 3. THREE. And still have 3 UR characters not even unlocked (I must be really unlucky because the RNG is supposed to favor character cards over weapons).

I went from sniper barrel 5 to 10 in 7 premium packs.

From 90 premium packs, I got 34 barrels.
Didn't get a single barrel from the 31 expert packs I opened.

Have a look in the spreadsheet I posted earlier, use CTRL + F and search for barrel or whatever.

In fact, looking at the drops from the various packs, I think the 100k Premium packs are the best ones to get.
Small sample size and all, but from 90 premium packs, I got 28 ultra-rares. From 31 expert packs, I got 3. 30% vs 10%.
For non-barrel weapon mods, premium and advanced packs seems the best as well. Overall, expert packs seems rubbish to me. You can all see my data that I am basing this on, please tell me if I am wrong.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 29, 2017

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
From spamming basic then advanced packs to max out my bronze and silver cards, it seems like the card priority goes: character cards -> weapon cards -> weapon mod cards. I didn't get a glut of bronze weapon mods until I had more or less maxed out all my bronze characters and weapons first. The same happened for silver cards. The only silvers I don't have at rank x is weapon mods, probably because I jumped to expert packs too early (now premium because rip expert pack pity URs).

Now gold weapon mods (barrels) are a bitch because theres a tonne of gold weapon cards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus, this morning it was absolutely impossible to find a full 4 party match on PS4. Yeah, RIP.

I mean, I'll keep playing because it's the only MP game I'm into right now, but man, the dropoff in players is crazy.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah I'm running into trouble getting a full four in lobbies prior to launching on PC. Now it's usually launch with 2 people and wait until the rest filter in. But while two more would typically join before the loading screen was done a while back, sometimes it takes until wave 3 before the game is filled now.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah I've dropped off playing a lot (on PC for reference) in the last month and every week or so when I come back it seems to get thinner and thinner out there. I'm wondering if they're just going to bury the whole project.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah gold games are either people with +10k apex score or 10 apex score

either way they're not going to ready up

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Experiencing this right now.

The collapse was pretty sudden. It was fine up until 2 weeks ago.

Now I just spend 6 or 7 minutes in the lobby watching people leave and join and votekick level 5s before I alt+f4 and do something else.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I play at 2-3 AM pacific time on PC and I always seem to find gold games relatively quickly.

Maybe it's big in Asia?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They dropped five new guns today. They're literally reskins of the four starting weapons, with the only difference being that they do more damage. All other stats are the same. Here's the Viper S at rank X with a Viper X equipped (taken from reddit):

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I'm done. I wasn't really playing much but that's about as blatant as you can get.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Now I'll never get a Crusader...

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I guess at least they're pretty good all around guns without gimmicks that you can take into gold matches. Seriously, every assault rifle has a goddamn gimmick.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

IcePhoenix posted:

They dropped five new guns today. They're literally reskins of the four starting weapons, with the only difference being that they do more damage. All other stats are the same. Here's the Viper S at rank X with a Viper X equipped (taken from reddit):

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I'm done. I wasn't really playing much but that's about as blatant as you can get.

Lol. I feel like just re-skinning the common weapons to be rare isn't a good sign of the quality of additional content this thing is going to get.

Regarding the player counts that people were discussing earlier, I haven't played in two weeks but when I was playing I didn't really have any issues finding full games on PC. A sudden drop off?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Also just saw that large DLC drops like those from ME3 weren't ever, and certainly not now, part of the plan. The small 1 character or a weapon at a time drop was the plan. Which is a bad plan that fails to reengage players that have dropped off. ME3 was revitalized for weeks every time they dropped a set of maps, 6 characters, and a set of weapons. MEA is just a quick death, I guess it did better than Evolve or Battleborn.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think their idea is that people will know to check back every Thursday for new content, instead of it being every few months, but you'd think that plan would include something more exciting than re-skinned common weapons and the same few Apex missions that nobody cares about over and over again. Some guy is gonna come back after a month away and unlock the Viper, except it does slightly more damage and it's black, and go hell yeah, I need to get back into this poo poo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just want the game to have more OOMPH, feel more exciting, it felt good when you went all destroyer mode on a pack of dudes, popped tech or biotic combos, in MEA the impact of everything feels so anemic.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I just want the game to have more OOMPH, feel more exciting, it felt good when you went all destroyer mode on a pack of dudes, popped tech or biotic combos, in MEA the impact of everything feels so anemic.

It might be far too late for that

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Alteisen posted:

Agreed. A distinct dearth of oomph. I miss grabbing!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BBQ Dave posted:

Agreed. A distinct dearth of oomph. I miss grabbing!

Insert batarian falcon punch gif here.

Or volus if you're feeling frisky.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Lol. I feel like just re-skinning the common weapons to be rare isn't a good sign of the quality of additional content this thing is going to get.
Pretty sure they've already said that 90% of the MEA team have been tossed onto other projects, so I imagine it's a skeleton staff left to try and drag things out.

Anyway, a transparent attempt to widen the rare drop pool to make the more interesting weapons harder to get is pretty poo poo.

AngryBooch posted:

Also just saw that large DLC drops like those from ME3 weren't ever, and certainly not now, part of the plan. The small 1 character or a weapon at a time drop was the plan. Which is a bad plan that fails to reengage players that have dropped off. ME3 was revitalized for weeks every time they dropped a set of maps, 6 characters, and a set of weapons. MEA is just a quick death, I guess it did better than Evolve or Battleborn.
I imagine that having the first few weeks of launch where you basically couldn't finish a single match, due to random crashes didn't help either. It's a hell of a way to alienate new players, and certainly not going to encourage them to buy MEA funbux.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IcePhoenix posted:

This is absolutely loving ridiculous and shameful, enjoy your Rare pool now being diluted by fifty new cards :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got like fifty hours of MP out of this, time to finish up the singleplayer and call it a day. Oh well.

• Locked thread