Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Candlelight Virgil posted:

So I hit a deer with my GTI. I have full coverage, but my insurance company appraised it using the prices for aftermarket poo poo parts and my body guy told me to call the insurance company and bitch...Do I have a chance at getting them to fork over more money for OEM parts?

How old is your car? You might be SOL. Some policies only allow for OEM parts for the first couple years the car is new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I've really liked my r4s porterfields. They definitely bite quicker than my stock veloster turbo brakes and at 22k miles almost 0 wear. I do live in a more rural area. If not I'd look at Hawk ceramics for what you guys are asking for or ebc blues.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

veedubfreak posted:

How old is your car? You might be SOL. Some policies only allow for OEM parts for the first couple years the car is new.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

whatspeakyou posted:

What's the general consensus on Sport Edition rims? I really like the look of their a15s but I also don't want to be putting garbage on my new GTI. Thoughts?

I rock the A10s on my 2016 kona blue and they look fantastic. Very happy with them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Candlelight Virgil posted:

So I hit a deer with my GTI. I have full coverage, but my insurance company appraised it using the prices for aftermarket poo poo parts and my body guy told me to call the insurance company and bitch...Do I have a chance at getting them to fork over more money for OEM parts?

VW publishes several collision parts position statements that are of use. I would also get it taken to an actual VW certified collision repair center - they have a bit more pull with insurance regarding VWs.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

edit2, an on-topic comment:// I found this back in April, here are details on the 2018 Fiesta (including ST). http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2018/2018_Fiesta.pdf. Shock of shocks, we aren't getting the updated model here in the US. My guess is we'll get skipped entirely, like the Mk2 Focus.
On the positive side, this means parts availability for the Fiesta shouldn't be an issue for a while. On the negative side, I was curious how the new ST would be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pr0craztinazn posted:

On the positive side, this means parts availability for the Fiesta shouldn't be an issue for a while. On the negative side, I was curious how the new ST would be.

Why would parts availability be an issue?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Any ST goons headed to Ford Nationals next weekend? I'm bringing mine up from Bmore, was wondering if I'd see anyone there.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The SVT Focus started suffering from brake (rear caliper brackets) and transmission (synchros and some other internal bits) parts shortages within a couple of years after its demise, which is one of the primary reasons I stayed out of one. My OBS F250 suffers from a similar problem, despite Ford building at least an additional million of them over the SVT Focus.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

pr0craztinazn posted:

The SVT Focus started suffering from brake (rear caliper brackets) and transmission (synchros and some other internal bits) parts shortages within a couple of years after its demise, which is one of the primary reasons I stayed out of one. My OBS F250 suffers from a similar problem, despite Ford building at least an additional million of them over the SVT Focus.

If I had to guess, the only parts that may become hard to get are transmission. Its not a commonly used gearbox.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

If I had to guess, the only parts that may become hard to get are transmission. Its not a commonly used gearbox.

Clutches were an issue too if I remember correctly from when I owned one. Like straight impossible to find for a bit until someone offered one aftermarket or something along those lines.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

the spyder posted:

Fiesta ST owners (or any of the cross compatible vehicles): Recommendations for brakes? Or ones I should avoid? Wifes car needs new pads and I keep jumping back and forth between OE style replacements and Hawks...

I've always used OEM and am happy with them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Funny you say this because for the first year finding brake pads for the FiST was impossible. Dealerships said they were on "national back order"

Finding rotors a year or more ago wasn't fun. Rockauto had quite a selection, but what they sent was for the base fiesta, and when I contacted them they weren't even aware that the FiST used larger, unique rotors. I found one set at a dealerhip 2 hours away, and they only had them because some guy ordered them and never picked them up

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 29, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

Clutches were an issue too if I remember correctly from when I owned one. Like straight impossible to find for a bit until someone offered one aftermarket or something along those lines.

That Getrag box was really, really weird.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I've always used OEM and am happy with them.

Funny you say this because for the first year finding brake pads for the FiST was impossible. Dealerships said they were on "national back order"

Finding rotors a year or more ago wasn't fun. Rockauto had quite a selection, but what they sent was for the base fiesta, and when I contacted them they weren't even aware that the FiST used larger, unique rotors. I found one set at a dealerhip 2 hours away, and they only had them because some guy ordered them and never picked them up

Eh at least for wear parts you don't really need to use OEM if things get bad.

I just find the availability questions funny when I'm poking around sketchy Italian forums for Girling calipers for the Fulvia. It's a new mass market car, availability problems are minor.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So my car has been done since last Thursday. I can't get it though because my insurance company and the shop are having issues over documentation of the repairs. The shop apparently didn't take pictures during all of the processes like asked and my insurance is worried about being able to withhold payment from the original shop because of it. Four different adjusters as well as some of their managers all concluding that the car was hosed up are apparently not enough? So I'm still paying for a rental that I've had for a month now out of pocket, and now they're telling me that I may not get reimbursed for all of it since the other guy's insurance may only see themselves as being obligated to pay for the rental during the original repair period. Awesome poo poo.

e: check out the emails I got this morning!

body shop posted:

Ms redacted insurance lady

Will not pay our bill due to the fact I put your car in ahead of other cars. Due to you paying rental out of pocket. We agreed that the core support needed to be removed to address the headlamp not matching the hood or fender. I was up front and did not lie as we did not pay attention to your demand of photos. My priority was to restore your vehicle.
Car will not leave as we did the work required to restore this vehicle. As AAA’s drp did not return this vehicle back to pre loss condition.

insurance lady posted:

Please do not provide false information to our insured. I clearly instructed what AAA needed in person with you, in email documentation, and on the estimate provided to the shop. This would be handled as any supplement for any claim – photo documentation is needed to support the additional damages. I will be calling to speak with the management there.

I have also included other AAA management and the adjuster on this email chain.

:suicide:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 31, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So uh, they're holding the car hostage?

Also, what the poo poo is this?
http://jalopnik.com/now-is-your-cha...dium=socialflow

quote:

The Ford Focus RS will likely go down in the history books as one of the greatest performance hatchbacks of all time. Unfortunately, its production run will come to an end after 2018, but Ford is sending it out with a bang—and even more grip.

Ford has announced that for 2018, it will bring just 1,500 Limited Edition Focus RS models to the American market. This is the last batch of the current-generation Focus RS, ever.

So that's that for the RS?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's it. It was always intended as a limited run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

That's it. It was always intended as a limited run.

So much for finding a cheap one some day! That certainly makes the next car purchase decision easier.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
And with Ford's CEO getting the axe that probably means the death of the Fiesta and Focus especially with the incoming bubble burst on leases people keep talking about.
Death of the ST twins too?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

And with Ford's CEO getting the axe that probably means the death of the Fiesta and Focus especially with the incoming bubble burst on leases people keep talking about.
Death of the ST twins too?

I'm sure they will continue in the rest of the world, since hot hatches are still very popular in Europe and Australia

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

So uh, they're holding the car hostage?

Correct. Insurance is supposed to be calling me today to explain the issue. I've already talked to the body shop and it's over $600. Meanwhile, I have to go by the rental car place today because their contracts only last 30 days! :suicide:

e: I've talked to both and they're obviously blaming the situation on each other(both have fault from my point of view) while I sit here without a car I'm about to make another payment on that I haven't driven since the last one was made. While I also pay for my rental out of pocket that they can't assure me the other guy's insurance will reimburse me for. I guess I might need to talk to a lawyer?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 1, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You'll end up paying more for the lawyer. There isn't an injury claim so they can't get their 1/3 out of any real money, so they'd charge you a fee.

Start raising hell at your insurance company. Escalate up the chain. Get a director at a minimum. Your car will be out this afternoon.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got the car back :toot:

Getting a little testy with the local lady handling might have helped? Now I get to deal with getting reimbursed for this second rental!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nice! Sometimes you've got to crank up the testiness, if you know what I mean.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My 2016 FiST has almost 10k miles on it now. When I bought it last August, I was determined to keep it pretty much stock, then...

Short shift plate adapter
Panel filter/airbox mod
Catback exhaust
AP w e30 tune
Fmic upgrade
Clutch spring delete
Symposer delete
Mud flaps
Roof wrapped gloss black
Sync3 update w USB upgrade for iPhone
16x7 RPF1 w firehawk summer tires (arriving next month)

Oops.

At this rate I'll be big turbo/LSD/water meth by end of summer. The car is so good, no issues whatsoever other than some sticking rear caliper pins.

I have a group of car pals who are great guys but vicious, crippling enablers. Here's us at a local trackday. My wallet :/

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 2, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice! Sometimes you've got to crank up the testiness, if you know what I mean.

I'm gonna get really testy when they tell me I'm not going to get reimbursed for the rental for the last month.

Total bill for this round came up to $4200. So almost $22k in repairs total. So pretty much a $50k GTI at this point.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

I'm sure they will continue in the rest of the world, since hot hatches are still very popular in Europe and Australia

I really wouldn't be surprised if they do a Mazda and go focus on making the boring models best in class (or at least better than they are now)

When I was (not hot) hatch shopping it was amazing how much further the dealer was willing to move on Ford pricing v Mazda (the dealer has both franchises) - they just had to to get people to even consider the Ford options.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PTU Seal leak was discovered this morning during oil change. Considering Ford doesn't have a real solution to this yet and the amount of tear down that goes into it for it to likely happen again, I might just get the fluid and top it off if necessary every oil change since the leak is incredibly slow. I'm going also start doing my own oil changes because gently caress paying 100 bucks and waiting an hour.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

PTU Seal leak was discovered this morning during oil change. Considering Ford doesn't have a real solution to this yet and the amount of tear down that goes into it for it to likely happen again, I might just get the fluid and top it off if necessary every oil change since the leak is incredibly slow. I'm going also start doing my own oil changes because gently caress paying 100 bucks and waiting an hour.

Does this effect the FoST?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

I'm gonna get really testy when they tell me I'm not going to get reimbursed for the rental for the last month.

Total bill for this round came up to $4200. So almost $22k in repairs total. So pretty much a $50k GTI at this point.

Nice I'm driving a 53k R :)

Still out 600 atm because the little fucker went on the lam and didn't go to his next court date and stopped paying me.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KidDynamite posted:

Ford does have a solution, and it is replacing the entire PTU assembly. They figured out that the Saarlouis factory was seating the shaft seal too deep and not in proper spec, hence the leaking PTUs on a lot of the earlier MY'16 cars. Your service writer should be able to contact Ford and verify the issue and the fix.

Personally I'm kinda sad my '17 RS probably won't leak on me. I wanted an excuse for them to have to tear it apart so I could have them install a limited slip diff while they had it apart.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Does this effect the FoST?

No. The PTU seal leak is on the power transfer unit, which is what powers the drive shaft to the rear wheels.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Got off my rear end and washed the car before going to the movies. Of course it rained while I was in the movie. Womp womp.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

Ford does have a solution, and it is replacing the entire PTU assembly. They figured out that the Saarlouis factory was seating the shaft seal too deep and not in proper spec, hence the leaking PTUs on a lot of the earlier MY'16 cars. Your service writer should be able to contact Ford and verify the issue and the fix.

Personally I'm kinda sad my '17 RS probably won't leak on me. I wanted an excuse for them to have to tear it apart so I could have them install a limited slip diff while they had it apart.

No. The PTU seal leak is on the power transfer unit, which is what powers the drive shaft to the rear wheels.

Oh god drat that is a perfect idea. Also I need to reach out to service writer and Ford, because she said they were just going to reseat the seal.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Rhyno posted:

So much for finding a cheap one some day! That certainly makes the next car purchase decision easier.

What a bummer though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Oh god drat that is a perfect idea. Also I need to reach out to service writer and Ford, because she said they were just going to reseat the seal.

LOL if they're going to tear it apart the least they could do is put in a new goddamn seal.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fun runs after autocross is over are hilarious.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xm5R9FqXqDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm5R9FqXqDU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Does an aftermarket exhaust even exist for Honda that doesn't make it sound like complete poo poo?

That Ford sounded nice though. Is that an RS?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Does an aftermarket exhaust even exist for Honda that doesn't make it sound like complete poo poo?

Obviously all opinion, but yes. There are multiple for my s2000 that I like but anything that actually makes power is some giant single exit that usually sounds pretty lovely and drones like a mother fucker. Still better than any exhausts I've heard on any of VW's turbo 4's. I'm just not a fan of the noises they make at all.

not quite fake edit:

tehk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qayrFqklgFA

So I got her running. Now to grow the balls to put it into first gear.

Just listen to that ;)

real e: The first time I "got" the sound a Honda makes was following a friends 6th gen Civic SI through some tunnels in the early 2000's. It was nice.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 5, 2017

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

That Ford sounded nice though. Is that an RS?

Yeah I'm in an RS that was a drift mode fail.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Damnit, I keep forgetting Honda made the s2000. I guess its all the fart canned Civics and Accords that I see day in and day out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One of my DRL's is now not working properly. The dealer looked at it and won't touch it under warranty because of the accident so now I get to call my insurance company tomorrow to see what I have to do!