Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Balloon Fight :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

$20 a year is fine. I hope the "compilation of games" is all at once while you're still a subscriber. I'm excited to play VC games online. Balloon Fight is gonna own online.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It comes with a VC subscription, presumably with multiple titles to select from at a time. I like this idea.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

They pushed back the paid time till 2018.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Does this mean VC as a subscription service? If so then $20/yr is a loving steal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mega64 posted:

Does this mean VC as a subscription service? If so then $20/yr is a loving steal.

Yeah I wouldn't get your hopes up, it'll be like 'pick one game to play for a month' or something, just watch.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is absolutely incorrect. Even without physical pre-orders "pay for the game in advance so that you can play it immediately at the stroke of midnight rather than buy and start downloading it, if our servers aren't on fire (they will be), at the stroke of midnight" would've been a pretty easy sell to consumers. You're severely underestimating just how big a deal convenience is to some people.

You might be correct that I'm underestimating people's talents at getting absolutely hosed because they can't stand the thought of waiting half an hour's worth of download time. And to think it was dubious as hell to begin with when we were talking weeks worth of waiting.

Anyway, the Splatoon mic thing. Since people don't know why Nintendo decided to take that decision besides "they're probably lazy or idiots or something!", and think that they should have supported voice-chat natively: If it meant a permanent small hit in in-game resolution, would you still be okay with the decision?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I hope it's a Netflix like service where the library is constantly expanding, because that would be dope.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Wait... DOES THIS MEAN VC IS CONFIRMED AND COMING? Need super MARIO WORLD online

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Previously the official word was that the subscription would give you one VC game a month, but the wording here about "downloading a compilation" seems like that plan might have changed. If the subscription gives you full library access and they make that library robust, then that's fantastic. If it's still a rotating monthly game, then snooooze.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I predict E3: no Metroid, no virtual console, no F-Zero. You'll have the two Mario games for Switch, the Superstar Saga remake for 3ds, the surprise announcement that Xenoblade 2 really is coming out this year, Fire Emblem Warriors, Monster Hunter XX, and the debut of a new generation of Animal Crossing, as well as a plethora of amazing indie games. Absolutely minimal surprises and mostly more details on games we know about. No virtual console. No Smash port.

They may announce Nintendo Network is delayed and online play will continue to be free until "Spring 2018".

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think you're way wrong, the online system and app will be delayed until "2018". It can't fail this summer because it won't be out.

loving CALLED it bitches!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I wouldn't get your hopes up, it'll be like 'pick one game to play for a month' or something, just watch.

Definitely sounds too good to be true, but the way they worded it certainly makes it seem like it.

It'll probably be NES games only and you'll still have to buy later-gen games, which seems reasonable to me.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Sakurazuka posted:

They initially said it would be one specific game free each month, only for that month. The reasoning was that if they release say, online Balloon Fight, it'll be easier to find other players if everyone has the game that month vs buying it a couple of months after release and nobody's playing.

There was also talk of buying them to keep afterwards, so they won't just vanish forever.

Of course, that was all the initial stuff, so it may very well have changed by now, or by release. It would be nice if they did a PS+/Live Gold thing where you get to keep it as long as you're subscribed.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Supercar Gautier posted:

Previously the official word was that the subscription would give you one VC game a month, but the wording here about "downloading a compilation" seems like that plan might have changed. If the subscription gives you full library access and they make that library robust, then that's fantastic. If it's still a rotating monthly game, then snooooze.

The way it's worded makes me think you can download the library of just the online enabled VC games.

Edit: Also it didn't specificy just online nes/snes games this time either. So maybe online N64 games?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm seriously excited for online play for old games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

So this is why people want a Vita successor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gimbal lock posted:

You might be correct that I'm underestimating people's talents at getting absolutely hosed because they can't stand the thought of waiting half an hour's worth of download time. And to think it was dubious as hell to begin with when we were talking weeks worth of waiting.

Anyway, the Splatoon mic thing. Since people don't know why Nintendo decided to take that decision besides "they're probably lazy or idiots or something!", and think that they should have supported voice-chat natively: If it meant a permanent small hit in in-game resolution, would you still be okay with the decision?

It wouldnt mean that.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I wouldn't mind having ready access to a steady flow of random internet people jumping into a match of Metal Warriors. :hellyeah:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Real hurthling! posted:

It wouldnt mean that.

It's more likely than one might think. There's a cost to do that and the console isn't exactly a powerhouse. They aren't sacrificing half a gig of memory or a whole CPU core just to manage the OS like Microsoft or Sony are doing on their consoles. Regardless of the technical reasons why this could happen -- if it were the case, would Nintendo be doing the right thing by doing their weird phone thing?

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 2, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guy Goodbody posted:

You can get it on PS4 too

I have both.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gimbal lock posted:

It's more likely than one might think. There's a cost to do that and the console isn't exactly a powerhouse. They aren't sacrificing half a gig of memory or a whole CPU core just to manage the OS like Microsoft or Sony are doing on their consoles.

They have like 800 mb of ram reserved afaik

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

You can get it on PS4 too

I have both.

Why

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought the Vita version when it first came out but the load times are awful so I grabbed the PS4 one when I saw it on sale for £12.

I should really eBay the Vita copy or something

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gimbal lock posted:

It's more likely than one might think. There's a cost to do that and the console isn't exactly a powerhouse. They aren't sacrificing half a gig of memory or a whole CPU core just to manage the OS like Microsoft or Sony are doing on their consoles. Regardless of the technical reasons why this could happen -- if it were the case, would Nintendo be doing the right thing by doing their weird phone thing?

This is a pretty stupid hypothetical. Encoding mic audio and sending it to another person is something that handheld computers called cellphones have been doing since the 80's. And the Switch's Tegra X1 comes with a hardware MP4 codec, so it wouldn't even have to touch the CPU, and certainly not the GPU, which is the little piece of computer that's actually responsible for drawing the picture that shows up on your screen and would have nothing to do with voice chat.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

What if voice chat on Switch murdered your dad? NOW do you want it??

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
20 bucks a year for Switch Online is about what I would pay for.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hey...that's pretty good! mildly adequate.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 2, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

20 bucks a year for Switch Online is about what I would pay for.

In 2018... you can!!!!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Guy Goodbody posted:

:ssh: The switch is the replacement

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Real hurthling! posted:

They have like 800 mb of ram reserved afaik
The number has moved around depending on the date, but yeah, it's a pretty hefty chunk of both memory and cycles to get those "for free" services.

acksplode posted:

This is a pretty stupid hypothetical. Encoding mic audio and sending it to another person is something that handheld computers called cellphones have been doing since the 80's. And the Switch's Tegra X1 comes with a hardware MP4 codec, so it wouldn't even have to touch the CPU, and certainly not the GPU, which is the little piece of computer that's actually responsible for drawing the picture that shows up on your screen and would have nothing to do with voice chat.
Screen resolutions have been higher than 720 on pc for decades too but that doesn't stop a lot of modern hardware to not give a crap. A Switch is not a cellphone.
Splatoon 2 is unlikely to be GPU bottlenecked, it's almost assuredly CPU because of the network prediction model. Hardware MP4 is great and all but you're still dealing with the bandwidth of 4 sound channels regardless of the compression part being dealt with specialty hardware. If supporting 4-way voice chat meant a hit on visual quality, would you still be mad at the decision that they took?
(btw I'm talking visual quality outside of framerate specifically because a sub-30 fps would be the last thing ever sacrificed -- it would be make connections unstable. I guess that gives them space to go though because I think they're doing 60, right?)

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 2, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

So in 3 years you'll have played 30ish NES games for 60 dollars

Guess we know why they really discontinued the NES Classic...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

What if voice chat on Switch murdered your dad? NOW do you want it??

How much ram does that take?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gimbal lock posted:

The number has moved around depending on the date, but yeah, it's a pretty hefty chunk of both memory and cycles to get those "for free" services.

Splatoon 2 is unlikely to be GPU bottlenecked, it's almost assuredly CPU because of the network prediction model. Hardware MP4 is great and all but you're still dealing with the bandwidth of 4 sound channels regardless of the compression part being dealt with specialty hardware. If supporting 4-way voice chat meant a hit on visual quality, would you still be mad at the decision that they took?
(btw I'm talking visual quality outside of framerate specifically because a sub-30 fps would be the last thing ever sacrificed -- it would be make connections unstable.)

How would lowering the resolution take load off the CPU? That's all GPU. Why would it have to be 4 separate sound channels, rather than your teammates getting muxed into one channel by the server? And do you have any idea how small the bitrate needs to be for voice chat? It can be worse than the shittiest mp3 anyone ever downloaded on Napster and that'd be fine. And why in the hell would shuffling voice chat bytes from the internet to your ears have any impact on visual quality?

You do realize that the WiiU ran Splatoon and handled voice chat natively, and that the Switch is more powerful than the WiiU, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

He thinks 800 is less than 500 so its a lost cause

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
$20 for a YEAR of Switch Online? Nintendo...making a decision that is both palatable and logical from the consumer's standpoint? [Shakes head, looks at big jug in hand labeled "XXX," bugs out eyes, throws jug over shoulder]

Nintendo...unceremoniously dropping these details via social media on a Thursday evening just under two weeks before they're guaranteed to have a captive audience of millions in the E3 Direct? [Jug reforms, reverses arc, flies back into hand]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like THAC0 in classic DnD, lower number is better!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/870458277724860421
I'm all on board for this poo poo now. $20 sounds like a great deal.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
thats pretty awesome, depending on the library

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If Nintendo turns VC into a Netflix-style buffet, that'd be shockingly smart. Probably their smartest online decision yet, behind creating VC in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm all on board for this poo poo now. $20 sounds like a great deal.

Wow, Kotaku did a good thing for once!

• Locked thread