Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I knew it was going to be a good episode just from those two bits of information. And I was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I knew a Dilbert Guy book would be insane, but not that insane.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It gets over used on the internet but Dilbert's Dad is as close to the personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect as you can get.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Engineers are wierd as gently caress

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The last I heard from Dilbert Guy, he was convinced that Hillary supporters were planning to assassinate him for being a Trump dude, so he pretended to convert to the other side.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

YggiDee posted:

The last I heard from Dilbert Guy, he was convinced that Hillary supporters were planning to assassinate him for being a Trump dude, so he pretended to convert to the other side.

You missed the part where he, as a master hypnotist, sees how Trump is hypnotizing people (but it's good), and that because he doesn't see how Donald Trump is a fascist, anyone who claims he's a fascist is literally hallucinating.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked that period of time where he was cleverly trying to "persuade" people on Twitter by pretending that he was feeling bullied by Clinton supporters.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
https://twitter.com/IDEOTVPod/status/870308471102623744

Any guesses, also Lol:

https://twitter.com/Montrith_Yaknow/status/870335768715198464

https://twitter.com/cfCollision/status/870358897843855360

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

How to Clean a Mirror?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Drunkboxer posted:

Dilbert's Dad

Thank you for referring to him by his proper title

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aGc0nOWWF0k

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I thought he'd be fatter. I guess he just has a heavy voice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

It gets over used on the internet but Dilbert's Dad is as close to the personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect as you can get.

Dilbert was fine back in its first five years or so when it was directly parodying toxic work cultures. Then Adams stopped working a day job, the Internet took off, and he became more and more unhinged.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There's two good articles I've read on Dilbert Guy's terrible philosophy: https://thebaffler.com/this-american-carnage/dilberts-revenge-adams-gais and the influence that Dilbert has had on the workplace and how it fits into a broader trend of trying to make corporations seem 'personal': https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-gaudy-and-damned-no-2

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought he'd be fatter. I guess he just has a heavy voice.
He's had a decent picture on his F+ reader page for a while.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man he looks like a guy who will talk your ear off about Rush on a bus ride

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
He looks like a line cook who's been fixing a Honda Goldwing in his carport for the last half-decade

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's a pretty solid look, honestly. It's the look of a man with a bunch of Camel Cash.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Djeser posted:

There's two good articles I've read on Dilbert Guy's terrible philosophy: https://thebaffler.com/this-american-carnage/dilberts-revenge-adams-gais and the influence that Dilbert has had on the workplace and how it fits into a broader trend of trying to make corporations seem 'personal': https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-gaudy-and-damned-no-2

These were great reads, thanks!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man he looks like a guy who will talk your ear off about Rush on a bus ride

I think thats the best part about Collision

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

He looks like a line cook who's been fixing a Honda Goldwing in his carport for the last half-decade

Collision does strike me as Human Lyle, yes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I read God's Debris when I was young and stupid, probably at the age Scott Adams said shouldn't read it because it would blow their minds too hard.

It seemed like a dumb stretch even then, though I'll be mildly controversial and say that as far as extended lectures by crazy people books go, it's still better than Ishmael by Daniel Quinn though it's a "getting a bad cold vs getting a bad flu" kind of thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I knew a Dilbert Guy book would be insane, but not that insane.

By favorite bit of Scott Adams banal insanity is his argument that he can cure cancer with his mind powers because once he felt a lump on his throat and he hoped really hard that it wasn't cancer and then when a doctor finally looked at it it turned out that it wasn't cancer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know if they coined the phrase "book-like object", but IDEOTV are the ones who brought it to my attention, and I thank them for it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Ep out on Traveler #5: Road War

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good episode. I'm glad they did another good ol' crappy pulp novel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good episode. I'm glad they did another good ol' crappy pulp novel.

I kind of want to read it now.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It was pretty funny that they gleefully compared it to Robocop, and then said they were weirded out that an anti-violence book featured so much violence.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The early Andy Capp comics are not nearly as horrifying as these podcasters make them out to be. I mean, they couldn't and shouldn't be published in newspapers today, but you'd have to be pretty sheltered to find them shocking when you consider other media of the time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you like hearing Jay and Chris discuss "toxic masculinity", then you'll love this week's I, The Jury episode!

They're not actually wrong.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Engineers are wierd as gently caress

iirc he's not an engineer at all. I remember some interview where he just "worked alongside them."

cobalt2009
Dec 31, 2008
HUBA BUBA

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tiggum posted:

The early Andy Capp comics are not nearly as horrifying as these podcasters make them out to be. I mean, they couldn't and shouldn't be published in newspapers today, but you'd have to be pretty sheltered to find them shocking when you consider other media of the time.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Still better then The Lockhorns

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Famethrowa posted:

Still better then The Lockhorns

The Lockhorns is the best stuff getting printed in newspapers these days

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
The first episode for July is You've Been Warned, a work by the one and only James Patterson.

Since it seems pretty clear that they're into the special flavor that is Patterson writing now, maybe we'll get lucky and there will be an episode on Zoo in the future. :allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Jay loving Undertale was awesome and also completely unexpected.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Jay loving Undertale was awesome and also completely unexpected.

Why are you surprised? It's a great game, I haven't met anyone who played it and didn't love it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hoobajoo posted:

Why are you surprised? It's a great game, I haven't met anyone who played it and didn't love it.

Gary from Watch Out For Fireballs and some angry libertarians on tumblr.

That's pretty much everyone I have seen dislike it in any capacity, and Gary was just lukewarm, not actually negative.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

hoobajoo posted:

Hi, we exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hi, we exist.

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU