Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Lost World is what happens when you try to make a Mario game with Sonic and somehow fail. Does anyone aside from our good friends at DeviantArt give a poo poo about the Zeti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not one single person.

Lost World and Generations both suffer hugely from not having any story to speak of, but still insist on having multiple cutscenes. If these are little vignettes like the two Eggmans talking about whether they'll ever defeat Sonic at the end of Generations then it's fine, and Colours had Sonic and Tails bounce off each other a lot so the cutscenes generally worked, but more than anything the cutscenes need to be brief and with a sense of purpose. That's why the current writing feels so tired.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

nerdbot posted:

The Archie Sonics are good to me for the same reason I think Mania is good thing: Sega bringing the franchise to really talented fans who care about Sonic more than anyone actually at Sega likely ever has. I don't blame anyone if for one reason or another you're still not interested in the Flynn comics but they're so filled with love for the entire franchise and it's the most anyone has ever managed to make Sonic's world Make Sense™ and it really appeals to me on that level.

Plus Archie Sonic is probably the springboard that launched Tyson Hesse into doing animations for Sonic Mania so we all have that to be thankful for

I remember enjoying them as a kid. I was 100% down with the Knuckles spin off and always wanted to hear more about the history of Mobius. I've been meaning to get around to picking them up again. Should I start from the beginning or skip ahead to when it changes writers?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
One thing really bothering me about sonic mania is that it has that chunky pixilated look that alot of genesis games had back in the day. I don't understand why they didn't go with the smooth, less pixilated look of Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix which is far superior. Were they just trying to be retro for the sake of retro?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mr President posted:

One thing really bothering me about sonic mania is that it has that chunky pixilated look that alot of genesis games had back in the day. I don't understand why they didn't go with the smooth, less pixilated look of Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix which is far superior. Were they just trying to be retro for the sake of retro?

Sonic CD, Chaotix and all the Genesis Sonic games run at 320x224

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Huh?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pyrocat posted:

I remember enjoying them as a kid. I was 100% down with the Knuckles spin off and always wanted to hear more about the history of Mobius. I've been meaning to get around to picking them up again. Should I start from the beginning or skip ahead to when it changes writers?

I have some bad news for you, friend. Basically all of that history, and the Knuckles spin off and all of the Echidnas therin, are straight from the mind of Penders. Flynn did some good work with that stuff once he got the reigns but eventually they had to scuttle all of it.

Mr President posted:

This is someone else's image but I took the liberty of adding the Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD sprite to the end of it.

They're the same size, It's just Knuckles has more colors to play with. Which they are doing with mania. But they're still just as pixellated. If anything Mania is still smoother than Sonic 3 (a little bit, on the spines).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Everyone yells at me for this but drat Sonic 3's will always be my fav :h:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm right there with you, I much prefer 3's sprites.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That Sonic Mania sprite is killer

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

beep by grandpa posted:

Same, Sonic 3 is the best Sonic

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm practicing individual level routes to improve my Sonic CD speed run. Collision Chaos 1's route is so hard to do perfectly (this video has 5 or so mistakes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH15xBLaBA

I think I'm going to try and get close to the current WR for this category. It's only a matter of time...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

i just preordered a sonic game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

have some Mania-style remixes of levels that probably wont be in Mania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uue4VdI1AE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p6cvYg2rsU

i like that hydrocity one a lot

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

have some Mania-style remixes of levels that probably wont be in Mania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uue4VdI1AE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p6cvYg2rsU

i like that hydrocity one a lot

Hydrocity is like the only good water level in Sonic history, and a large part of it has to do with the music. It's also really fast and has you literally running across water which is cool as gently caress.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hydrocity works because it mostly isn't a water level; you speed through most of the water sections, with only really the first half of act one involving actual underwater platforming.

Water Palace in Rush is also good, because the boost mechanic really helps out with keeping the speed up; same with Aquarium Park in Colours. Aqua Lake in 8-bit Sonic 2 works because act one has a cool water skipping gimmick, while act two keeps the regular physics despite being underwater.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Do people really not like Aquatic Ruin? I understand why people wouldn't like Labyrinth zone and Tidal Tempest and prefer Hydrocity, but Aquatic Ruin has a good mix of water/not water and I feel like it gets overlooked as a water zone.

Paul.Power posted:

I dunno. There's definitely potential to give games reasonable stories that fit within the whole Sonic thing, even if it's the usual huge balancing act. Maybe Sonic Forces will pull that off?

I dunno, I feel like that might be difficult to do well given they already have to deal with doing time travel again to bring in classic sonic again. It worked for Generations because that game was very loose and didn't have a serious story. If Forces did have a serious story, it'd have to take those elements again and do them seriously, and I don't have much faith in Sonic team doing time travel stories right.

Spiderdrake posted:

Level design does look a little busy, so I guess that could get really bad?

Yeah, lots of sections in Mirage Saloon and Studiopolis seem to have CD levels of clutter but with 3&K sized levels.

Though from the footage presented so far, none of the stage gimmicks or paths seem to the same type of trappings as CD levels did. Which makes me think that Mania might not end us as frustrating as CD could be, so maybe it will be okay? An early section of Studiopolis act 1 had a wonky section of circle star plates/bumpers/springs/whatever they really are that seemed like it could be annoying but it wasn't present much in the rest of the act.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think S3&K's death egg zone is probably the best place to be in terms of Gimmicks, in that most of them in act 1 are flashy traversal methods, the only one that isn't is the engine room thing and they ease you into that before hand. And Act 2 is just one gimmick by itself with the gravity.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hydrocity is less water level and more water park.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Hydrocity is less water level and more water park.

Hydrocity would actually be a pretty viable water park name.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't stop pronouncing it as 'Hydrocity'

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Andre Banzai posted:

Hydrocity would actually be a pretty viable water park name.

It sounds like a brand of leave-in spray conditioner, I mean if you pronounce it like High - Dross - Ity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ventana posted:

Do people really not like Aquatic Ruin?
I used to dread Aquatic Ruin as a kid, but having gotten decent at it as an adult it's nice. It has a fantastic color palette and is a much better water level than the previous games representation.

Does anyone else really hate the water bits in Carnival Night? I don't understand why it's there, the level is already drowning in gimmicks. I feel like someone got really excited about air bubbles in balloons and just forced it in.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hydrocity works because it mostly isn't a water level; you speed through most of the water sections, with only really the first half of act one involving actual underwater platforming.
Oddly, having never gone this route before, there's a pretty hefty underwater path that takes you to the act 1 boss really quickly. I was trying to explore the level for giant rings - I know you can look it up, but it is nice to find them yourself - and suddenly the level was just over.

Also like Aquatic Ruin I think it works because the reward for good play is getting out of the water, which has a good carrot/stick feel to it. No one can say they didn't love the first time they hit that water at top speed and zoomed over the top, avoiding it unexpectedly. (I think you can do that in CPZ and Aquatic Ruin but it's a set piece of sorts in Hydrocity)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/870697057761214464

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My wallet. It cries.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I kinda like the water in Carnival Night, it helps with the whole feeling of "broken down lovely carnival".

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Does anyone else really hate the water bits in Carnival Night? I don't understand why it's there, the level is already drowning in gimmicks. I feel like someone got really excited about air bubbles in balloons and just forced it in.

I do. Actually, I really can't stand that level. I think it's annoying in general, and the water bits are even worse, but what I really hate in that level is the music. It is detestable. What an obnoxious, insufferable tune. The level is even home to the infamous "Barrel of Bewilderment". My least favorite Sonic level by far (I even prefer Labyrinth Zone..... actually I kinda really enjoy Labyrinth Zone, I really like the song).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Spiderdrake posted:

For Carnival Night itself, yeah, but I like some of the other stages that have small water bits even though they aren't full water levels. Like Icecap, Leaf Forest and a bunch of Rush Adventure stages.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

I kinda like the water in Carnival Night, it helps with the whole feeling of "broken down lovely carnival".

I always thought that water was impossibly filthy

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Like the stage and music better in Aquatic Ruin Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhHa7ph5GLg

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Personally, I like it when my silly cartoon games have silly cartoon plots. Loony Tunes didn't have serious storylines, dark edgelord antiheros, nor did anyone die (including villains) despite blowing up a billion times. All I need and want is the main bad guy (Elmer Fudd, Wile E. Coyote, Dr. Robotnik, King Bowser, Dr. Wily, etc.) is back at it again doing their thing (huntin' wabbits, chasing Road Runner, turning forest animals into goofy robot monsters, kidnapping the princess, building eight more rear end in a top hat robots, etc.) and that's it. That's why I never cared for "New Sonic" (characters dying, dumb edgy characters, human love interests) or Mega Man X (robots catching robot viruses killing them off or making them murderous psychobots, also the moral question of "are the humans the real bad guys for making robot slaves?"). The gently caress outta here with that. Even at 13 I didn't care for that stuff.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Ideally a lighthearted adventure-based story should keep the serious moments in small, carefully-placed doses. A dramatic moment is all-the-more dramatic when it contrasts just enough with the fun times. Not enough to be totally jarring and unfitting, but enough to make you care.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It more or less comes down to the fact it can be done well, but in twenty or so years, Sonic hasn't done it well so maybe they should just leave well enough alone.

And "hasn't done it well" is a bit of an understatement. Actually it's a massive understatement. Like you can bring up other franchises but most of them don't have roaring tire grease fires that still burn so bright the storyline is remembered for being poo poo ten plus years ago.

Besides, Japanese productions that go edgy just end up feeling like shonen anime which doesn't do serious well very often at all.

Andre Banzai posted:

I do. Actually, I really can't stand that level. I think it's annoying in general, and the water bits are even worse, but what I really hate in that level is the music. It is detestable. What an obnoxious, insufferable tune. The level is even home to the infamous "Barrel of Bewilderment". My least favorite Sonic level by far (I even prefer Labyrinth Zone..... actually I kinda really enjoy Labyrinth Zone, I really like the song).
Labyrinth Zone's tune is excellent, but man it runs like crap in the mega drive hub for some reason. The mobile ports fix the slow down, right?

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Personally, I like it when my silly cartoon games have silly cartoon plots. Loony Tunes didn't have serious storylines, dark edgelord antiheros, nor did anyone die (including villains) despite blowing up a billion times. All I need and want is the main bad guy (Elmer Fudd, Wile E. Coyote, Dr. Robotnik, King Bowser, Dr. Wily, etc.) is back at it again doing their thing (huntin' wabbits, chasing Road Runner, turning forest animals into goofy robot monsters, kidnapping the princess, building eight more rear end in a top hat robots, etc.) and that's it. That's why I never cared for "New Sonic" (characters dying, dumb edgy characters, human love interests) or Mega Man X (robots catching robot viruses killing them off or making them murderous psychobots, also the moral question of "are the humans the real bad guys for making robot slaves?"). The gently caress outta here with that. Even at 13 I didn't care for that stuff.

Agreed, 100%.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

beep by grandpa posted:

same, he's got some tude

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Agreed, he just looks drat sharp in that game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Two Beans posted:

To this day I sill cannot fathom that Loonatics Unleashed actually exists.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ventana posted:

For Carnival Night itself, yeah, but I like some of the other stages that have small water bits even though they aren't full water levels. Like Icecap, Leaf Forest and a bunch of Rush Adventure stages.

Marble Garden is the only Sonic 3 level without water.

Spiderdrake posted:

It more or less comes down to the fact it can be done well, but in twenty or so years, Sonic hasn't done it well so maybe they should just leave well enough alone.

And "hasn't done it well" is a bit of an understatement. Actually it's a massive understatement. Like you can bring up other franchises but most of them don't have roaring tire grease fires that still burn so bright the storyline is remembered for being poo poo ten plus years ago.

I don't think this is true. Both the Adventure games had semi-serious stories that were, while not masterpieces, suited the games quite well and were perfectly adolescent cool.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 2, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
doublepost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

To this day I sill cannot fathom that Loonatics Unleashed actually exists.

I was going to say that Sonic the Hedgehog should just be like a Bugs Bunny cartoon (and the original animated series was in fact like this), but then you mentioned that a dark, edgy Bugs Bunny cartoon actually existed

I've felt for a long time that Sonic needs another redesign, and I feel like he should be made to look like an old timey cartoon character:

Which, to be fair, is how he looked like in the first place, honestly.