Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Seriously. If you play team games by yourself, you're doing it wrong.

Visit the Call of Duty thread for more information.

Mays, I don't think this is a good example as we all hate each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I use Mumble or discord. In game voice chat always sucks.

Not a single one of my friends plays computer games or even knows what Mumble or Discord is. There's no way the average console gamer is going to have a computer hooked up, then download and use new programs when there's literally a voice chat built into their console. I've never had an issue with Xbox Live voice chat. It's completely fine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mays, I don't think this is a good example as we all hate each other.

But we also win all the time, and victory heals all wounds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RCarr posted:

Not a single one of my friends plays computer games or even knows what Mumble or Discord is. There's no way the average console gamer is going to have a computer hooked up, then download and use new programs when there's literally a voice chat built into their console. I've never had an issue with Xbox Live voice chat. It's completely fine.

Xbox voice chat used to have some weird splitting issue where half the people in game couldn't hear the other half and you'd only hear half the conversation. The other half was a garbled mess. Total garbage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RCarr posted:

But the average gamer will have a phone, and if everyone on their system had to use it, would result in better voice chat quality.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The average gamer has the exact same voice chat preferences as me.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Spellman posted:

Those idiots don't realize you can attack the other player on the map screen at any time and steal their goal cards

To be fair, the player 2 coop mini games were fun in Mario 3. But I don't know how they'd implement that online.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
in game voice in overwatch is insanely good, which can't be said for the actual game :grin:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
So, good news on the subscription for VC games. Hopefully they have a lot of them. And it's good they are listening to feedback from the community (This is why we Bitch about it folks... things change for the better so let's remember that instead of white knighting every drat thing, up to and including voice chat/lobby on the console)

Some other improvements/announcements should either be cloud saves/mem card/external storage save back ups, and to back down on the Nintendo policy of "Digital must be the same price as Physical". They really need to also work on having the online system on the console itself. They also need to hold publishers in check with legacy titles being ported to thew switch. Indie game #103, which has already been out for 3 years, shouldn't be double the cost as publishers take advantage of Switch users without providing any value in the edition of said game. Not sure what Nintendo can do here, but they can at least try to offset it with allowing digital games to sell cheaper since it is more expensive to produce the cartridge based format.

With that said, the online subscription game catalog is a nice change in a positive direction.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

An 11 year old beat my rear end at Halo 2 when I was 17 on Xbox Live and then gloated about it with racial slurs.

I spent the next 11 years arguing that games don't need voice chat on behalf of everyone

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They actually do and are fundamentally better with voice chat. This is another one of those autism points Nintendo fans like to pretend doesn't matter but t does

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think they should add Dr. Mario to Puyo Puyo Tetris, then take out Puyo Puyo. They can call it "Tetris and Dr. Mario"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Empress Brosephine posted:

They actually do and are fundamentally better with voice chat. This is another one of those autism points Nintendo fans like to pretend doesn't matter but t does

Uhhh I dunno if you're aware but I think Spellman was being sarcastic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

None of my friends are aware of concepts, things

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

grand theft grotto posted:

I think they should add Dr. Mario to Puyo Puyo Tetris, then take out Puyo Puyo. They can call it "Tetris and Dr. Mario"

They released that Dr. Mario & Puzzle League collection for GBA, why not do it again but this time with the Puyo Puyo Tetris swap mechanic?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I prefer text chat to trying to decipher a bunch of idiots yelling over each other, but keyboard support in Splatoon is even less likely than Nintendo doing normal online stuff competently.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Spellman posted:

An 11 year old beat my rear end at Halo 2 when I was 17 on Xbox Live and then gloated about it with racial slurs.

I spent the next 11 years arguing that games don't need voice chat on behalf of everyone

That's awesome. You should have had voice chat when all us goons used to play Wolfenstien Enemy Territory together.

SA Online gaming with voice chat: "Take your safe space and shove it"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Splatoon had exactly as many chat options as any game needs

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I prefer text chat to trying to decipher a bunch of idiots yelling over each other, but keyboard support in Splatoon is even less likely than Nintendo doing normal online stuff competently.

You haven't played Rocket League have you...

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Keyboard support is good in downtime but it isn't helpful to stop shooting in the middle of a firefight to type "we're gettting flanked"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spellman posted:

So one could argue that if you'd been better at Halo 2 then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Could Nintendo enable voice chat for the public in say, Overwatch or is always restricted to friends? Not that I care I usually play with public voice off unless it's the rare moment I'm playing competitive.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just woke up to the great news that our man Whatley is never going to play Super Mario World on Switch.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

RCarr posted:

My 12 year old brother uses discord on his phone :shrug:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

bef posted:

My 12 year old brother uses discord on his phone :shrug:

It's pretty common for younger generations to know more about newer technology. My friends are all 30 years old, and have literally never had a reason to use a program like that because since we were in high school every console we have owned had voice chat.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

well why not posted:

*sets up voice chat*
*total silences as no one uses voice chat on consoles, let alone in splatoonimmediately hears a racist triade punctuated by slurs and the word cuck*
*quietly unplugs the headset, leaving it in a drawer forever*
ftfy

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Is Ventrillo a thing? We used that on PC back in 2004 or so.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Beastie posted:

It still is, I used that forever. I think Mumble has taken it over a bit. I dunno, I'm an old now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's all discord these days unless you are a weird nerd who runs his own mumble server or something.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Beastie posted:

A lot of people have moved over to Discord - it integrates well with other services, has the same lobby look and feel, chat is easier, and you can have a friends list. You can also join without downloading a client.

Discord is really where it is at now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Voice chat in games is sometimes good/useful and sometimes bad.

There probably should be built-in voice chat on the Switch but the app (or Discord or whatever you want to use) will probably be sufficient. But really who knows until the app is released.

Can we end this terrible discussion already?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just woke up to the great news that our man Whatley is never going to play Super Mario World on Switch.

I look forward to hearing about it over and over and over and over again. Again.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
No... NO super MARIO WORLD? and people are GLOATING over this? god, disgusting

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Here is how it will work:

I'll text my friend(s) "Hey do you want to hop online and play MK8, Spl2n, etc?

Friends will say "Yes let's hop on Discord/Skype"

We then play the game and it is fun, with friends.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Meridian posted:

I look forward to hearing about it over and over and over and over again. Again.

if he didn't post about it you wouldn't have anything to read when you're skipping the five thousandth voice chat non-debate.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Phantasium posted:

if he didn't post about it you wouldn't have anything to read when you're skipping the five thousandth voice chat non-debate.

This is true. Hopefully that'll run its course soon and the thread can get back to discussing important things like Mario Kart.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Buying Rime physical so I can taste Rime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Buying Rime physical so I can taste Rime.

Please post a detailed flavor profile.

• Locked thread