Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Timby posted:

The last season was pretty good, at least. But, yeah, "On the Beach" is a perfect place to stop watching the show.

It's either that or when Carter leaves since when you look back, isn't a lot of the show about Carter? Who's left to care about after that? On the Beach would be a great series finale but I haven't actually seen anything past season 10 or so.

Still one of my favorite shows. God drat Romano is a sexist rear end in a top hat. Dr. Doyle's gay and wouldn't return his advances so she left and joined CSI over in Vegas instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Quarry has been canceled. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The gently caress is Quarry?

I guess I know why it's cancelled, whatever it is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cinemax is moving towards a different kind of television, if they're sticking with original drama at all. It's the same thing that happened to The Knick, and probably Outcast. No idea what's going to happen to their new shows now, either. Probably the same thing that happened to the new shows on WGN (a cot death).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arist posted:

I watched Speed Racer again this year and that movie's way better than I remembered.

That movie is great fun, but one of the abiding memories I associated with it is people on the Internet at the time complaining that it wasn't the "darker, more mature" story that long-time fans apparently "deserved", which was just so much bullshit. It came out the same year as The Dark Knight and that attitude wasn't uncommon.

Can you imagine how unremittingly miserable an "adult" version of Speed Racer would be?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

less laughter posted:

Quarry has been canceled. :(

At least it got a halfway decent ending.

Weird that the show didn't fit into their rebranding which I read centers around action-dramas.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

X-O posted:

Shyamalan laughing-stock territory

In all honesty: give them a 5-10 year cooloff period like he got and they'll get another shot, guaranteed. And it led to the dude's best work in ages.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As much as I dislike Shyamalan's movies in general, The Visit and Split were both absolutely fantastic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Niwrad posted:

Weird that the show didn't fit into their rebranding which I read centers around action-dramas.

I think they're going for a "pint and curry" genre of action show, rather than anything more cerebral. Think a lot of TNT's brand over the last few years -- SouthLAnd, Animal Kingdom, The Last Ship, Good Beaviour -- or early STARZ. So something like Banshee would work, for the most part, but not Quarry or The Knick. (Ironically The Knick would be perfectly at home on STARZ these days. Shame.)

Presumably that's why they're bringing back another reboot of Strike Back.

Hopefully Warrior and The Boys still go to series, since both could probably work.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Y'all can still watch Quarry, it's only a few episodes and it's really good and more or less self-contained. I really like the setting and time period.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

The Visit and Split were both absolutely fantastic.

true true

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh really @ s3? I was gonna binge it soon.

The performances are still good and Regina King is still phenomenal, but they missed their mark pretty big. Thematically, they had a good idea, but they spend more time worrying about the problems of the white people than the actual victims and it just came off bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I don't think the best editors in the world could have salvaged Cloud Atlas.

I'll take books that don't work as movies for a thousand, Alex.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

That movie is great fun, but one of the abiding memories I associated with it is people on the Internet at the time complaining that it wasn't the "darker, more mature" story that long-time fans apparently "deserved", which was just so much bullshit. It came out the same year as The Dark Knight and that attitude wasn't uncommon.

Can you imagine how unremittingly miserable an "adult" version of Speed Racer would be?

Isn't that basically what the Fast and the Furious is?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Specifically the 4th film, Fast and Furious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Specifically the 4th film, Fast and Furious.

That's the second worst movie in the franchise, so I"m not sure what you're going for here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm saying that's what a darker, more serious speed racer would be like. Aka terrible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I'm saying that's what a darker, more serious speed racer would be like. Aka terrible.

Oh well that tracks then, except the scene where Vin Diesel makes the car pop a wheelie and smooshes a dude. That was real Dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJRJ4okP0po&t=40s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Shaymalan, his Tales from the Crypt reboot isn't going forward. Going by a statement from TNT it sounds like the recent legal issues killed it as it was taking too long to get off the ground.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

See I really enjoyed Cloud Atlas (admittedly some of the stories much more than others), but Jupiter Ascending was genuine trash. Just awful on every level.

Jupiter Ascending at least looks amazing, even if the plot could best be described as a wet shart.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Shaymalan, his Tales from the Crypt reboot isn't going forward. Going by a statement from TNT it sounds like the recent legal issues killed it as it was taking too long to get off the ground.

good. didn't think a tnt TftC would work

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The gently caress? I don't even know what a "darker, more mature" Speed Racer would look like. Speed Racer is about a kid who races cars with his family and a monkey as his pit crew and frequently other cars explode during the races. The movie had all those things and more. What else would you need?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

As much as I dislike Shyamalan's movies in general, The Visit and Split were both absolutely fantastic.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

raditts posted:

The gently caress? I don't even know what a "darker, more mature" Speed Racer would look like. Speed Racer is about a kid who races cars with his family and a monkey as his pit crew and frequently other cars explode during the races. The movie had all those things and more. What else would you need?

The monkey would be an alcoholic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Speed Racer, Funimation has announced that later this year they're going to be putting out a box set that has both Speed Racer and the original Japanese version Mach Go Go Go. Also there was a packaging error on the recently released bluray of just Speed Racer that says it has Japanese audio/English subtitles but its a misprint.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

https://twitter.com/GreenGiant_es/status/575008266083778562

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm rewatching seasons 3 & 4 of OITNB in preparation for the new season, and I gotta say, I really hope Piper Chapman dies in season 5.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I will watch Season 5 for every reason that isn't Piper.

Although I did appreciate that at some point they realized she was terrible and just started leaning in. Even if they then tried to spin it around to sympathize with her which just wasn't working at all.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 3, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

I'm rewatching seasons 3 & 4 of OITNB in preparation for the new season, and I gotta say, I really hope Piper Chapman dies in season 5.

I hope the whole show dies after that loving embarrassing subplot with the PTSD guard in the last season.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is the first two hours of Adult Swim reruns of Fox shows? Surely playing a block of classic 90's Cartoon Network shows like Dexter's Lab/Courage/Ed Edd & Eddy/Samurai Jack would get them a larger audience.

Also I'm tired of changing the channel at 9 every night when Cleveland Show comes on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox shows get huge ratings for Adult Swim, see how AS re-runs were part of what got Futurama and Family Guy brought back from cancellation.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are the ratings for the 8-10 rerun block posted anywhere online? The only Adult Swim ratings info I could find were for the original programming.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Huh...those reruns used to finish within the top 10 for any given night. It would appear that ratings reports stopped including syndicated shows/repeats, because looking at a wide variety of sources I see no AS at all, nor do I see Big Bang Theory repeats on TBS, which are (obviously) some of the consistently highest-rated programs on cable television.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Before Adult Swim turned their Saturday night block back into Toonami they used to give ratings for their shows and Family Guy was consistently higher than all of their first run shows.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Speed Racer is a great and underwatched movie. Perfect for a family gathering where you think you couldn't possibly find a movie everyone under 60 would like but nobody has seen. I was one of those people who was too skeptical to give it a chance at the time, but it's great fun and visually insane.

I'm sad Sense8 was canceled. I didn't watch the second season yet but it had a lot of potential. The first season is kind of like Unbreakable, where in a way it's all just Act One of a superhero movie.

This season of Fargo is underwhelming but still alright. One of those things where you're still waiting for it to reach its amazing potential 7/10 episodes in.

The newest American Dad was pretty good. A lot of the new episodes aren't as good as the good ol' days but this one made me laugh a lot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Fox shows get huge ratings for Adult Swim, see how AS re-runs were part of what got Futurama and Family Guy brought back from cancellation.

While this may be technically correct (the best kind of correct), I would not lump Futurama in with that loving trash Seth Macfarlane shits out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have no clue what this is, but I'm interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCYhtlvmZc

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

X-O posted:

I have no clue what this is, but I'm interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCYhtlvmZc

That's one way to cut production costs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bottle episode, the TV series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Saw Duplass Brothers and turned it off

• Locked thread