Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I am fine with the Atlas being an insanely armored behemoth. It's very fitting for it and makes it a real terror. It's not like they're gonna make it easy for you to field one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skoll posted:

I am fine with the Atlas being an insanely armored behemoth. It's very fitting for it and makes it a real terror. It's not like they're gonna make it easy for you to field one.

You get one for pre ordering.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

I thought that was a paintjob for some reason. But if it starts out in your hangar, then the rest of Skoll's post still fits unless it comes with a preorder deployment discount :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You get a paintjob and loadout, I don't recall seeing naywhere that they just gift you a free Atlas in the campaign, that would be retarded.

Also, the Atlas' job is to be the armored brick and king of the battlefield.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Battle report: 4 Hunchback 4P will wreck the poo poo out of everything in front of them.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Theres still the maintenance costs from singleplayer and the MV limit in skirmish limiting their use. Even at 25mv I dont think you can run two of them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

quote:

* A BACKER-ONLY VARIANT of the Atlas Assault 'Mech with an exclusive model and paint job.

You don't get one for free, just access to the backer-only variant.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

I agree that knockdowns should be less frequent but more impactful. They don't even do damage to the mech other than a pilot hit.

Standing up gives the enemy an accuracy penalty, knockdowns are pretty good.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Rocketpriest posted:

Centurions are the nice middle of the road okay at everything mechs they're supposed to be, and the Orion is Most of an Atlas, but you can bring two and a pair of Hunchbacks instead of just the one big skull man.

This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment and it's pretty good. Hunchbacks are great for mauling poo poo and distracting enough so the Orions can do their thing relatively unmolested. The Orions in this setup are amazing with the multi-target pilots, who are the highest gunnery pilots as well. For the AI I split my Hunchbacks and Orions so they go after the hunchbacks who maul their front while the Orions snipe their backs with AC10s.

e; just throwing it out there, but does anyone here think lights (and lights only) should be able to attack, then move? Just a choice between move->attack and attack->move.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 3, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am loving Jenners. In the 2 matches I took one I was able to flank and take out mechs from behind. Just gotta dance around and harvest that sweet, sweet butt meat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

School Nickname posted:

This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment and it's pretty good. Hunchbacks are great for mauling poo poo and distracting enough so the Orions can do their thing relatively unmolested. The Orions in this setup are amazing with the multi-target pilots, who are the highest gunnery pilots as well. For the AI I split my Hunchbacks and Orions so they go after the hunchbacks who maul their front while the Orions snipe their backs with AC10s.

e; just throwing it out there, but does anyone here think lights (and lights only) should be able to attack, then move? Just a choice between move->attack and attack->move.

Yeah, lights really need something to set them apart. Maybe move-attack-move, with reduced movement per gap, or maybe the option attack/move or move/attack. Right now I really don't see the benefit of them going early that much.

Maybe limit certain skills to certain chassis? For example maybe Evade can only go on light/medium mechs, while Bulwark only goes on heavy/assault. Right now it seems like the only reason to take a light is because you can't afford something better.

Maybe dramatically improve the hit penalties for moving?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah in the Shadowrun games I was a little peeved at HBS to-hit probabilities but in Battletech it's annoying as gently caress. Anything less than 95% won't hit 90% of the time. And even at 95% it'll miss 25% of the time. And I know for a fact they don't have evasion. :argh: Maybe I'm just a supremely unlucky motherfucker.

e; What famous Battletech battle would go well with the Burnt Ivory King track. Been playing this in most of my skirmishes so far.

e2; Anyone here get a multiplayer-related survey? :wtc:

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 3, 2017

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
My Battlemaster one shot a Orion by punching it in the face, it was then headshot by a Urbanmech killing the pilot as the next action. 10/10 GOTY

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

School Nickname posted:

This is a super fun build (Even if I’m not really using the multishot much), though it’s a shame that the “Two mediums, two heavies. Zero assaults” combo takes up every shred of budget at the max limit. Hell, you can’t even do three Hunchbacks and one Orion without it being at max value.

I know the Orion is the heaviest heavy on roster right now, so you can go 3 Hunch and one of the other Heavies for "Battle" size. But it’s still a bit awkward when “I downgraded one of my Heavies into a 25 ton lighter medium” still isn’t enough of a cut to play at the second tier. I wonder how stringent the campaign will be towards wanting to field x3 bog standard mediums, plus one good heavy as your lance of choice? Even if I keep any and all assaults permanently mothballed to save cash.

As for shoot and scoot for lights, I’d love the concept for single player, but it could end up being a real pain in the rear end from a Multiplayer perspective.

Unrelated: Knockdowns vs Assaults in close fights… Doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Sure they get shaken up and rack up injuries by the knockdown. But due to going last that means you knock them down with your heavy, the get back up, waddle over with their remaining movement and unload an alpha strike on you.

Which meant a comedy brawl where my pair of Orions would knock down an AI atlas, then he’d get up and maul one of my Orions further. Repeat while we can’t flank behind him lest their hanging back mech shoot OUR back. With the finish being the 3rd(4th?) knockdown at a point, I finally had at least one mech with a turn left to blow the left side of their body off with an alpha strike that put me a pixel under shutdown (So of course it was a hunchback headshotting his standing armless body that killed them :v: )

A Hunch may not run around as fast, but drat is it much more satisfying to have your :f5: sensor mech be something more hefty once it’s down to a hosed up brawl of errors, and your banged up squad starts hunting down the remaining pristine condition enemy Orion. A pair of dented Hunchbacks can screen a lot more while your letting your heavies cool off from constantly firing as many guns as possible.

My first match with zero deaths ended with the enemy orion seemingly out of ammo and trying to punch everything to death. So we responded in kind :buddy: Shitload of injuries from RNG headshots though. Early initiative order doesn't seem to do any favors for enemy lights. If they get to move up and shoot me first, that means I get to respond in kind with bigger mechs and very likely no penalties to my attacks by way of either Sensor locks or Precise shot. Note to self, use multishot more often to work on trying to finish off maimed lights while still focusing 90% of my firepower on enemies that matter.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 3, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, lights really need something to set them apart.

I just tried to use a light to extend out on the side with a sprint and come in behind the enemy lance and it worked beautifully. Little baby Commando got two CT killshots with its SRMs and laser. 20M lance engagement so it wasn't nothing. Didn't even have to spam sensor lock behind a hill.

It's hard to always take advantage of, perhaps, but that move distance they can cover is really, really nice.

School Nickname posted:

Maybe I'm just a supremely unlucky motherfucker.

I can almost guarantee you the problem is your brain trying to do pattern recognition on an inherently patternless RNG output. It's literally how humans are wired to work and totally alien to how RNGs produce output.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Psion posted:

With the caveat that I'm only "pretty sure" how this works ... no. If I'm right, sensor lock is best on lights because of the initiative system. Sensor lock lasts for the entire round and if you put it on your Atlas, which goes last, you get no benefit from the sensor lock because it expires immediately. And double no, because then the Atlas can't shoot that turn, which is a huge loss compared to a Commando or Locust or similar holding fire.

Meanwhile, if you put it on a light, which goes first, they can designate a target and all your mediums, heavies, and assaults can take advantage.

e: also I think you're hung up on this forward scouting thing a little too much. What do "real" scouts do when the main forces engage? get the gently caress out of the way, lest they get ground up in the middle. So with BT lights. Make contact, go wide. It's totally reasonable for both space 80s robots (what matters) and 'real' tactics with a wholly fictional robot, however you want to slice it.

Not really, you can reserve more than just lights. So reserve the trebs, move the atlas up, launch missiles and now you have a mech that will survive the spotting.

Also no, real scouts will sit in overwatch positions and call in strikes until the fights over, then move up to the next.

Zaodai posted:

Basically all of this.

JacksLibido, you seem dead set that you should be able to bull-rush lights in and have them not give a gently caress. For all the buffs lights have gotten, they should not be able to run into a lance of heavier mechs and laugh in their face. Scouting with lights works fine, but they need to stick out on the edges of the fight, where they still provide plenty of info, get their move mods and cover, and can use sensor lock normally to help the rest of the team.

Yes, if you want to run your mechs directly into brawling range and fight man mode, you don't want to bring lights. Because they are not and never have been built for that.

Not even a little bit? I want to be able to run my commando up 500m or so and just designate targets for my missile boats. Right now if I did that my commando would get spotted and insta hosed by the AI since he's the closest target. The only way I can make a light work is if I keep them BEHIND my lines and spot with them, which doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to get them into brawling range, I'm trying to keep them FROM fighting.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 3, 2017

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
How is the open beta? If I'm a jumpy gorilla with no impulse control should I get a steam code for it now? When does the full game come out?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Never mind this. I'll ask isildur first.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 3, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

I can almost guarantee you the problem is your brain trying to do pattern recognition on an inherently patternless RNG output. It's literally how humans are wired to work and totally alien to how RNGs produce output.

You can't fool me I've played all the Shadowrun games, anything less than 95% probability is done a d4 or higher dice, depending on the bracket. :downs:

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 3, 2017

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

EDIT- ... Dammit, I thought this was a new video. gently caress it, have some Duncan Fisher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls_Kv6qFM0g

Tried doing BabbyBowl. All Commando all the time. They die so drat fast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Standing up gives the enemy an accuracy penalty, knockdowns are pretty good.

You also get to make called shots. I've taken more than one mech from nearly pristine to dead in the span of a few Missiles and a called head shot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

JacksLibido posted:

Not even a little bit? I want to be able to run my commando up 500m or so and just designate targets for my missile boats. Right now if I did that my commando would get spotted and insta hosed by the AI since he's the closest target. The only way I can make a light work is if I keep them BEHIND my lines and spot with them, which doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to get them into brawling range, I'm trying to keep them FROM fighting.

In my experience, this has not been true at all. Don't know what to tell you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

How is the open beta? If I'm a jumpy gorilla with no impulse control should I get a steam code for it now? When does the full game come out?

I dont have it, but from reading this thread: Its pretty drat good, but its still just (good and fun) skirmishes against the AI. Multiplayer should be along soon. People have reported getting 4-5 hours of fun out of it, and noone has said they are bored and putting it away. They are also soliciting a lot of feedback by surveys after each game.

Probably worth it if you want to join the conversation and have very poor impulse control, I'm waiting because I have too many unplayed games already.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Several games in and I still have no idea what the "inspire" button does.

School Nickname posted:

You can't fool me I've played all the Shadowrun games, anything less than 95% probability is done a d4 or higher dice, depending on the bracket. :downs:

The hit probability in this game is drat lies. It doesnt seem to include things like the enemies cover, movement, or evasion from sprinting or skills.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

The hit probability in this game is drat lies. It doesnt seem to include things like the enemies cover, movement, or evasion from sprinting or skills.

That's a good point, the UI should really really factor in the 50% dodge from Evasive in to your to hit percentages.
It definitely includes the other stuff like movement and so on though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Great Beer posted:

Per the manual:

Morale is the blue bar to the left of your team's status. When it's full, you can make one mech Inspired, which is 'When attacking, this unit ignores COVER, GUARDED, and EVASIVE, and all attacks gain a 95% chance to hit, except for long-range weapons that are inside their minimum range band.'

Every time anyone uses Inspired, the bar fills faster for both people from then on, presumably to help end deadlocks.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
^^^^^
this. the mechanic was something I suggested because I really liked the Escalation Die in 13th Age. So it makes fights end.

1) the dice rolls are legit, but humans are bad at judging probabilities. I've proposed a thing that tweaks your expectations over time, and that might help, but we'll see if anyone thinks it's worth it.
2) that said, evasion is a second roll, a straight up miss chance, so... don't shoot at evading dudes ok?
3) multiplayer in the survey is because we made the survey before we decided MP wasn't stable enough to ship.
4) inspiration: the inspired dude has 95% to hit no matter what, with everything. put a guy on the ground, inspire your Hunchback, obliterate guy.
5) i'm so loving tired right now

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Sooooo I did a thing:

.jsons are fun!

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

.jsons are fun!
looks exactly like a stalker too!

(turn on the firestarter and you can see how loving op it is)

Color is because I wanted to be sure we wouldn't forget which mech art was placeholder.
vvvvvvvv

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Sooooo I did a thing:

.jsons are fun!

Purple Atlas Stalker! Is that color some kind of error, or intentionally that you could select the color?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Purple Atlas Stalker! Is that color some kind of error, or intentionally that you could select the color?

I think it's related to the "impostor material" listing? Though I'd have chosen nuclear purple regardless.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

JacksLibido posted:

Not really, you can reserve more than just lights. So reserve the trebs, move the atlas up, launch missiles and now you have a mech that will survive the spotting.

Also no, real scouts will sit in overwatch positions and call in strikes until the fights over, then move up to the next.

mmmm let's go with, respectfully, this isn't universally true, it's irrelevant to a game about giant stompy robots, and as such isn't really a compelling argument even if it were universally, 100% correct IRL because of that. Play BT how it plays, not how you want it to play based on a comparison that doesn't really apply.

Also, Atlas + 2 Trebuchets is a stupid weight of metal out of a cap so I still argue putting sensor lock on an Atlas, while it may work with your reserve idea, is a huge waste of your units. I've literally had the problems you're having keeping scouts alive and sensorlocking once, and then I learned to play smarter. Keep the light behind cover and keep enemy attention fixed on my heavies, keep the light wide and ...keep enemy attention fixed on my heavies...

and then my lights end up backshotting mediums and heavies :getin:

Specifically,

JacksLibido posted:

I want to be able to run my commando up 500m or so and just designate targets for my missile boats. Right now if I did that my commando would get spotted and insta hosed by the AI since he's the closest target. The only way I can make a light work is if I keep them BEHIND my lines and spot with them, which doesn't make sense.

You have a huge sensor range, you don't need to be that close, you flank and get them from the sides and they won't turn to engage if they have a better target forward, like a blocker medium/heavy giving the AI a reason to push up instead of a reason to find and murder your scout. Maybe the problem is how you play is incompatible with how BT works? Flank them 24/7 with that movement bonus. Flank wide because you can do so without losing target designation capability.

tl;dr you can be further out than you think, try that, abandon this idea that you need to be "in between" two forces which routinely close to literally melee range

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 3, 2017

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

In every game I play, my scout is the one mech that is almost undamaged by the end of the fight, even if it's a locust.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The problems you're going to have are trying to play lights like you would in TT, basically. In 3025 with average IS pilots (so gunnery 4, no pulse or LBX), you can run a Jenner or Spider around at medium range forever and make sure that anything that wants to shoot it needs at least an 11. Maybe 9 if they stand still.

11s give you really lovely chances to hit, only 8-9%, which is far far lower than anything shooting at a light running around in medium range will have in this game.

That's fine, it just means you have to make sure and use initiative to not get shot, or to be evading + in cover when you do.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Prism posted:

Per the manual:

Theres a manual? :monocle:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

isildur posted:

1) the dice rolls are legit, but humans are bad at judging probabilities. I've proposed a thing that tweaks your expectations over time, and that might help, but we'll see if anyone thinks it's worth it.

I don't think it will work since there are negative modifiers whenever a target has moved.

Also, yeah include factors such as cover in the to-hit probability since that's the most obvious explanation. Explains a huge amount of Shadowrun. "But Duncan was supposed to miss 4-5/6 of his 99% shots in two turns because maths."

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 3, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Great Beer posted:

Theres a manual? :monocle:

:laugh: someone didn't read the email

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

isildur posted:

(turn on the firestarter and you can see how loving op it is)
vvvvvvvv

:wtc: Four flamers and two machine guns, all of which you can use as part of a melee attack? This is a terrifying metal baby.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Evasive isn't a to hit malus, it's a chance for the targeted 'mech to Dodge the shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think the hit and evade numbers are two separate rolls, which is why they don't show. Like, firing at an evasive mech you've got say 90% to hit, but they dodge 50% of the hits. If you miss it says miss too, dodge and miss show separately, so you can tell which thing is loving you up.

Just as an FYI, making a melee attack disables evasion on the target for the rest of the turn. It's a good alternative to sensor locking if you have something tough to get in there and punch with. I think it also breaks Guarded, but I might be wrong there.

I'm finding the Awesome with PPCs is actually better than I thought. Paired with the Orion (which tanks as well as an assault) to give LOS, it punches holes really well. Nothing likes taking 150 damage in big chunks from too far away to engage. Trebs are great for their cost with the crazy missile knockdowns, but they are really fragile.