Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Flunchy posted:

That is the fakest reason I've ever heard. You can't just take down a major corporate datacentre for two days by unplugging the power and if you could the board is negligent for lovely IT practice.

I'm betting they got hacked and don't want to admit it.

Depends if you choose to believe "contractor" was some IT nerd that pulled a plug or "contractor" was an electrician that took down the whole grid and it took two days fix whatever he pulled out and power everything back on and validate all the data.

I've worked in some pretty major sized datacenters with walls of batteries and multiple generator backups that could still be unceremoniously blapped by a guy with a blowtorch cutting the wrong bundle of cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
When I got my first adult job, it took me a while to come to grips with the fact that you always lie your rear end off to everyone not directly in your dept: clients, collaborators, higher-ups, it's just straight up blatant word dressing to avoid any blame or consequences

it's kind of bizarre how socially acceptable this is, hell my last bosses have lied about having a college degree for over two decades and as far as I can tell, this has not hampered their careers in any way, shape, or form

"people don't give a poo poo that I lied to them as soon as they see that I can do the work and am in fact a good hire"

Well, alright then?

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Mr. Flunchy posted:

That is the fakest reason I've ever heard. You can't just take down a major corporate datacentre for two days by unplugging the power and if you could the board is negligent for lovely IT practice.

lovely IT practice is like SOP for airlines. You're dealing with legacy applications written during the 80s and were never designed for their current workload and environment. My guess is their system that wasn't designed to be shut down like that, and starting it up probably caused all kinds of nifty issues that no one had ever dealt with.

Don't forget all the airline computer problems that happened last year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pendragon posted:

lovely IT practice is like SOP for airlines. You're dealing with legacy applications written during the 80s and were never designed for their current workload and environment. My guess is their system that wasn't designed to be shut down like that, and starting it up probably caused all kinds of nifty issues that no one had ever dealt with.

Knowing how ancient all that software (and harware) is they're probably on some 10base5 token ring and nobody has any idea wtf a vampire tap is

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pendragon posted:

and on top of that, most of the current US carriers are the result of a few mergers, so they're possibly integrating multiple different systems

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
When I was doing some volunteer work in South America, someone heard that I "knew computer stuff". So one day some guy comes to pick me up, says he has work for me, and then proceeds to drive me to the airport. When they get their, their IT guy looks at me and goes ".... can you fix the entire airports computers systems and network?!?" Apart from kind of being horrified, I was a little curious, so I let him show me around. It was some terrible mish-mash of lowest of the low end PC's, riddled with every piece of malware and viruses you could imagine.

Not being qualified for any of that, all I could do was run my little "fix-everything" program on a flash drive on the various computers. While not fixing their overall computer and network problems, it still was a huge change for these guys running near useless computers. The funny thing too, no one questioned or stopped me as I ran around the airport through security checkpoints and customs queues. At most someone might go "Uhhh, hey!" and then I'd hold up my laptop and mumble about being the computer guy, and then they'd lose interest.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

English guy drives like idiot and nearly flips car, gets scolded by woman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqP3IdAVaEo

Why are people swearing in an English accent the best thing ever? I want to marry that lady.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Platystemon posted:

Sounds like a race condition, which is a very bad thing to have in your system.

What's a race condition? I'm enough of a computer person to realize I'm not nearly smart or patient enough to be in IT, so hearing about goon experiences in it is fascinating.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What's a race condition? I'm enough of a computer person to realize I'm not nearly smart or patient enough to be in IT, so hearing about goon experiences in it is fascinating.

It's an asynchronous code problem. For a while a program was just a set of instructions executed in order. A lot of programs are still that way; just one thread. Flow control can make it bounce around but there's still only one set of instructions being done in order. In this case a race condition is impossible because there's no racing. It's one thread just doin' it's thang. Nothing is ever happening at the same time as anything else.

Multi-threaded programs have multiple sets of instructions going on at once. Here you have multiple things going on at once. As programs get more complex this is becoming more and more common. It's also quite the pain to deal with. Parallel processing introduces so much bullshit the best policy is "only do it if you have to." Short of it is that a "race condition" has multiple threads accessing or manipulating the same data. The end result will vary depending on which thread gets there first.

Let's say a program has two threads running at once. Thread one is making a decision based on if something is true or not. It starts false; the other thread will be flipping that to true. If thread one checks that before thread two updates it you'll get a different result than if thread one checks it after thread two flips it to true. Hence calling it a "race." A different thing will happen depending on who gets to the variable first.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Jun 3, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wikipedia’s definition is better than I could give off the cuff:

quote:

A race condition or race hazard is the behavior of an electronic, software, or other system where the output is dependent on the sequence or timing of other uncontrollable events. It becomes a bug when events do not happen in the order the programmer intended. The term originates with the idea of two signals racing each other to influence the output first.

My theory is that “rebooting too fast” really means “rebooting too early”, before other systems on which the rebooting system depends are online.

Say there’s a program that queries a database, and it’s poorly coded so that it locks up or even corrupts data if the database is inaccessible. If that system reboots before the system that runs the database, BA has problems. But the cause isn’t really “rebooting too fast”. That shouldn’t be up to operators.

The Therac‐25 is the classic example of a race condition, and it’s a doozy. It was a radiotherapy machine that worked okay, till the doctors got familiar with the interface and started keying in commands faster.

When that happened, a different part of the machine won the race inside and people got overdosed by a factor of 100, causing death or severe injury.

Here’s an extensive PDF on the Therac‐25 problems.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Behold, the product of superior genes and racial superiority:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Is that a white power chemo version of Col. Sanders in the back?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

meth is a gene, right?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

perfection :pray:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Its hard to be in the 4th Reich when you cant count that high.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Do we even need to post that frame from Preacher?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Testekill posted:

Do we even need to post that frame from Preacher?

To be fair, he has a pretty pronounced chin. He pronounces it "ahDURRRRR".

Zombear
Dec 4, 2007
Catchphrase!

repeating posted:

you're like schadenChrist or something.

SchadenChrist died for your amusement.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Zombear posted:

SchadenChrist died for your amusement.

Attempting a kickflip off his new skateboard, SchadenChrist thought that breaking his fall with his neck would save him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Attempting a kickflip off his new skateboard, SchadenChrist thought that breaking his fall with his neck would save him.

Poor SchadenChrist, thought of kickflips and died.

Zombear
Dec 4, 2007
Catchphrase!

Poor SchadenChrist, thought of kickflips and died.

Leavemywife posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zbXfIiVwg Jesus wasn't that good on a skateboard.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pendragon posted:

I dunno if it's still the case, but at least in the 2000s the baggage handling programs were the results of a series of upgrades that required full compatibility with legacy systems on the new computers

The way they did that was by just emulating the old system and porting that over. By which I mean running it in an emulator.

They did that multiple times.

Why is every data field of the baggage tracker limited to 80 characters? Because the system is a Matryoshka Doll of legacy systems, and at the core is a loving punch card reader.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zombear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zbXfIiVwg Jesus wasn't that good on a skateboard.

Bet he was a good water skier though

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What's a race condition?

That about wraps it up

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/JayGatsby5x0/status/869978085436694529

Link here if this gets taken down.

Memento has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Jun 3, 2017

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

"roll for agility"
*1*

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Sieg HEEY YOUUU GUUUYYYYYS

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Maybe you can be pro-eugenics while recognizing you're not of breeding caliber?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chichevache posted:

That's a thread of self awareness that most neo Nazis wouldn't be able to grasp.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Chichevache posted:

"If we don't use eugenics, we end up with... *whips kkk hood off* ME! *gasps of horror*"

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Sieg HEEY YOUUU GUUUYYYYYS

:five:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://i.imgur.com/6OkPyU7.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/KDbwl1B.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/SXlARAH.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/WVEw979.gifv

Almost nailed it
https://gfycat.com/singleweirdbandicoot

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The schadenfreude is that I can't pet this doggo :woof:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm betting they got hacked and don't want to admit it.

Hit the EPO button and watch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's half an hour of kids and pets being idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFUtzKppsz4

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I wonder if he's related to this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuNuqIev8M

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pure Aryan skull shape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sure mate, it's the fault of blacks and Jewish people that you can't get a job or get laid. Sure thing.

Unrelated:

http://i.imgur.com/agnlrN8.mp4