Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also I noticed that Himself's speech bubble managed to bridge the white between panels. We ever see something like that before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the box is himself's mask.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Motherfucker posted:

the box is himself's mask.

i was thinking something similar; an unbound devil given shape by different means

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

A big flaming stink posted:

Also I noticed that Himself's speech bubble managed to bridge the white between panels. We ever see something like that before?

Vladok grabbed Cio out of one panel while he stepped into another one right after he revealed his true form

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm more concerned by how his voice's origin keeps switching between the top and bottom grates.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Himself having an eye actually seems surprisingly mundane to me.

Dead Reckoning posted:

More likely he knows and experiences everything that lesser devils know and experience, and may not be meaningfully distinguishable from them. Masked devils, although appearing to be distinct entities, are merely innumerable heads of the hydra that is the dark flame. (Lesser devils may not even be aware of this fact, believing themselves to be conscious and free willed; freeing His consciousness from his last name made Himself aware of it.) Hence he imprisons Himself, and his imprisonment is merely a formality. Also why His permission is needed to take lesser devils on a robbery with serious ramifications.

Himself has only definitively stated knowledge of Cio's mind; Allison's thought process was pretty easy to guess just by loking at her face.
Came here to post this. Now if he talks about something Allison did on Earth, that will be a full on oh poo poo moment. Regardless, I think it's safe to say Himself is up there with Zoss and Metatron as entities without comparison in the present day K6BD universe.

Archenteron posted:

Vladok grabbed Cio out of one panel while he stepped into another one right after he revealed his true form

Yeah and it owned.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Himself having an eye actually seems surprisingly mundane to me.

"And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

It's a visual reference to Nietzsche, in the same panel he proclaims himself the Abrahamic God.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 31, 2017

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Schwarzwald posted:

"And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

It's a visual reference to Nietzsche, in the same panel he proclaims himself the Abrahamic God.

I still think it's kind of boring that he has an eye if it turns out he sees everything all devils see. And I think that quote is less about the specific Abrahamic god and more about a singular creator god - if Himself is effectively the black flame, that's as direct a manifestation of Yisun as we're likely to see.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I still think it's kind of boring that he has an eye if it turns out he sees everything all devils see. And I think that quote is less about the specific Abrahamic god and more about a singular creator god - if Himself is effectively the black flame, that's as direct a manifestation of Yisun as we're likely to see.

That eye is not for seeing.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Mr. Lobe posted:

That eye is not for seeing.

It's for eatings!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Himself can have as many eyes as Himself wants, if you're bored by them I'm sure he can also have plenty of other things

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Now if he talks about something Allison did on Earth, that will be a full on oh poo poo moment.

It'd just lead to endless debates about art errors that suggest one of her roommates is actually a devil.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

It'd just lead to endless debates about art errors that suggest one of her roommates is actually a devil.

Oh wait

lol she's hosed

yonah
May 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i think himself looks like a perfectly normal human inside the box

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Himself is actually the box. That eye? It's just a pet.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oh wait

lol she's hosed

"Allison that was really gross, lol"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Tastes just as good going back down as it did coming up.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery

Oxxidation posted:

I'm more concerned by how his voice's origin keeps switching between the top and bottom grates.

So you're OK with multiple eyes but not multiple mouths?? You ocular-auscular fascist.

I thumb my nose in your general direction.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

oh but when a demon eats a human it's gross and uncool, huh Allison?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hey now, that devil didn't vomit those humans into existence, he has no right!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jormagund posted:

So you're OK with multiple eyes but not multiple mouths?? You ocular-auscular fascist.

I thumb one of my many noses in your general direction.

Fixed it.

...Also I'd like to see the take down of Rothfuss.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
my theory: since the identity of devils is tied partially to their masks, Himself is a devil mask - perhaps the first - which, when a devil uses it, subsumes their previous identity entirely, but since identity is mutable to devils they don't really care that much and are entirely willing to wear it to get the power associated with the lord of devils

it's not boxed up to imprison it, it's boxed up so the other idiots don't try and rip it off its current wearer and put it on themselves, which Himself finds to really be quite a bother

President Ark fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 1, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
my theory: the box is a port a potty that the devil's court just kind of formed around for some reason. himself doesn't want to come out because he doesn't want people to know that he's just been phone-making GBS threads and creeping on facebook all day

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
The way the demon king keeps referring to himself in specific personal pronouns (Myself, I, etc) in my opinion matches up really closely with one of the previous stories in the literature regarding Aesma when she asks what Yisun's true name is.

Given that the answer ends up being just "I", and nothing more, it makes me think that the king has somehow managed to free himself of all names and now exists as just a part of the universe in some way or as a part of UN, which is basically the same thing I guess. This would explain how he knows what's been said and what has happened so far.

All I can really say for sure though is that I hate waiting for updates on this comic.

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 1, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

White Coke posted:

...Also I'd like to see the take down of Rothfuss.

It's not obscure.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122#post458895404

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

The way the demon king keeps referring to himself in specific personal pronouns (Myself, I, etc) in my opinion matches up really closely with one of the previous stories in the literature regarding Aesma when she asks what Yisun's true name is.

Given that the answer ends up being just "I", and nothing more, it makes me think that the king has somehow managed to free himself of all names and now exists as just a part of the universe in some way or as a part of UN, which is basically the same thing I guess. This would explain how he knows what's been said and what has happened so far.

All I can really say for sure though is that I hate waiting for updates on this comic.

"Himself" would arguably be part of YIS or whatever, actually, since, you know, black flame and all.

Which, tangent, reminds me of a small idea I had that "Himself" isn't really male, that's just what everyone assumes because, well, as we've seen the people in this comic tend to assume things re: Gender. But when talking about himself, "Himself" personally never makes any references to gender and in fact specifically says "Myself" when making introductions, and is also, well, pure black flame contained only by that cage. Being above and beyond so much else, including possibly physical form, why not be beyond gender too?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the gender is important. If a devil's name places restrictions on what they can be, then Himself's name conveys one last piece of information about him that he has not shed. One last level of power he can accrue, though perhaps at the cost of his individual existence, as if nothing defines a being, does it exist at all?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I kind of wonder if he might be the Red Eyed King. He seems a bit more relaxed, but a jillion years of imprisonment could do that to a devil.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Here's Myself. We know who I is. All that's unaccounted for is Me.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

thatbastardken posted:

:perfect:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

thatbastardken posted:

Eating a devil merely returns it to the hot black flame, humans have no such luxury. The Sanctioned action is to CONSUME

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

AtomikKrab posted:

Eating a devil merely returns it to the hot black flame

Does it? I'm actually asking since I didn't read that bit, I thought devils actually die when they're killed or lose all their memories and die ego death or something bad, otherwise beheading Yab wouldn't really be a feasible solution.

Also I think the whole speech bubble wavering around, coming from the bottom grate and the tail wrapping around stuff is just a visual metaphor for his creepy voice, plenty of artists do it.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 2, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

Does it? I'm actually asking since I didn't read that bit, I thought devils actually die when they're killed or lose all their memories and die ego death or something bad, otherwise beheading Yab wouldn't really be a feasible solution.

Also I think the whole speech bubble wavering around, coming from the bottom grate and the tail wrapping around stuff is just a visual metaphor for his creepy voice, plenty of artists do it.

We've seen a bunch of devils 'die' (Cio, Princess, the two creepy daughters), they all seemed to come back with partially reconstructed memories and altered personalities when they were put back together. Their personalities also shift a bunch between names, but none of the devils seem to consider it 'dying' when they level up. P sure their personhood is a form the masks impose on the hot black flame, which is truly immortal; if the magic that holds a particular devil together is destroyed they're effectively dead but you can put all the same component parts back together and get the same devil, or most of them together and get mostly the same devil.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 2, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ZeeToo posted:

That is a king who is very fond of his first person pronouns.

when one is only oneself one grasps the important of asserting oneself's oneselfness

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Strictly speaking there's a significant chance devils aren't actually alive in the first place.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
going by the universe's metaphysics you can totally make the argument for anything with a soulflame in the ksbd universe not really being a person

i prefer to think everybody is and isn't really a person

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

In which a surprisingly reasonable offer is made.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That is a pretty decent deal with an actual literal devil, considering she very well might die-or-worse if they fail anyways.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I wonder how it will alter the cool heist dynamic to know that every other member of the group has, at some point, killed and eaten a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Oh yeah, c'mon. Everyone knows how sympathy for the devil ends up.

I'd instantly accept anyway.

A completely unrelated thing: Satan is my favorite bible guy. The Job-style version, I mean. Meeting dudes in deserts, etc. Testing. Proofing people. Whatever these masked things are, they're not like that.

When Allison conquers all universes she should flip it backwards and make him the one who's ended up with an ironic devil deal.