Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Today's episode of My Hero Academia was amazing so anime is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been fooling around a bit with Civ VI today, and I came to a realization: my favourite parts of those games are when I unlock ocean travel and start exploring, and then settle cities on uninhabited islands. Is there a game whose whole shtick is exploration and colonization? (Meaningful exploration that is, not just No Man's Sky poo poo)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anno 1404

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

I've been fooling around a bit with Civ VI today, and I came to a realization: my favourite parts of those games are when I unlock ocean travel and start exploring, and then settle cities on uninhabited islands. Is there a game whose whole shtick is exploration and colonization? (Meaningful exploration that is, not just No Man's Sky poo poo)

neo atlas :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Europa Universalis IV

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does the ":v:" mean you're joking or what

I looked at its Steam page and it seems cool if rough?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anno 1404 might be called dawn of discovery on steam by the way. also it rules

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I'll try it, thanks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A friend of mine is trying to get me to watch Parasyte and I don't wanna because it looks interesting but grody

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

gently caress you horatio

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Dr N. Gin is my aesthetic

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

A friend of mine is trying to get me to watch Parasyte and I don't wanna because it looks interesting but grody

The manga is better but the anime is decent outside of some poor soundtrack choices. It's pretty much anime + The Thing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

It will never be safe for your to change your avatar back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LawfulWaffle posted:

It will never be safe for your to change your avatar back.

I gotta admit if it weren't for the redtext that'd be an incredibly amusing avatar anyway

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just got back from seeing Wonder Woman, best super hero movie to date. Now to go play Injustice 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Just got back from seeing Wonder Woman, best super hero movie to date. Now to go play Injustice 2.

Collect her epic gear set!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What if humanity agreed to erase the word epic

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Help Im Alive posted:

What if humanity agreed to erase the word epic

Erase the word misandry instead.

Or ephebophile.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Epic" in the game at least serves as a useful categorization, it's not like it's "iconic"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/michaelasuxxx/status/870807746718965760

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I just...I just wanted to talk about .hack

I think net slum's equivalent would be more like those random 3D chat rooms where there was just sorta random poo poo, but are now left abandoned.

Stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO2h5o9edp4

Also, I stand by my belief that .hack//sign had one of the best portrayals of relationships online (romantic, platonic, or otherwise) and, end spoilers, a pretty great portrayal of a lesbian relationship without it coming off as fanservice like what other media tends to do

e: swapped the vid link for the better, reuploaded, unmuted version

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 3, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

The manga is better but the anime is decent outside of some poor soundtrack choices. It's pretty much anime + The Thing.

Update: It is pretty cool. Anime sure does love its incredibly violent gore doesn't it

edit: Anime characters are like plastic bags that are filled with blood and brain meat

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, I stand by my belief that .hack//sign had one of the best portrayals of relationships online (romantic, platonic, or otherwise) and, end spoilers, a pretty great portrayal of a lesbian relationship without it coming off as fanservice like what other media tends to do

:yeah:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Stellaris, if you're ok with it being sci-fi exploration and colonization

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Training posted:

Guilty Gear's is good.

Injustice 2 has a really nice and detailed practice mode with all sorts of configurations and stuff like frame info but if you just memorized the movelist you would never understand how the game is all about stringing combos together or knowing what initiators are safe vs. unsafe or any other number of things. You still have to go to TYM or some other external source to see what each character's BnB strings are unless you're just so naturally talented at FGs that you could figure it all out yourself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

Update: It is pretty cool. Anime sure does love its incredibly violent gore doesn't it

edit: Anime characters are like plastic bags that are filled with blood and brain meat

The golden age of hyperviolent anime ended with the 90's (which is when the Parasyte manga was written), stuff like that is relatively rare nowadays.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Injustice 2 has a really nice and detailed practice mode with all sorts of configurations and stuff like frame info but if you just memorized the movelist you would never understand how the game is all about stringing combos together or knowing what initiators are safe vs. unsafe or any other number of things. You still have to go to TYM or some other external source to see what each character's BnB strings are unless you're just so naturally talented at FGs that you could figure it all out yourself.

Injustice 2 having the frame data in it is great and I wish every game had that. Their character specific tutorials aren't great though, yeah.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/aaronlinde/status/870801137766510592

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Truly a hellish dystopia.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope everyone who walks past changes the number

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope everyone who walks past changes the number

you're right, it should also have 6 on there to show that 6 was also the best one

perhaps it could even say 69

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

really it should say 14.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Raxivace posted:

What happens is that they're both playing the same MMO without realizing it, and end up partying with each other in the game without realizing who the other is. She ends up with a crush on him until she realizes he's her stepbrother, and both are freaked out afterwards.

If I were to be extremely generous I'd say its a comment on internet anonymity and the dangers of it- the sister character is even set up as a foil to the heroine of the first arc who is noted as being unusual in actually using her real name in an online game. Even with that all in mind I don't think its executed well at all.

Like its basically a bad riff on the movie The Shop Around the Corner.

Uhh, no, she is very much in love with her brother. The accidentally partnering up with someone that ends up being her brother is true, but the creepy incest angle is not a wacky misunderstanding.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

perhaps it could even say 69

You mean LXIX

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

really it should say 14.

Well, really it should say Final Fantasy 1 is the Best One.

However Final Fantasy 4 is the best Two and Final Fantasy 6 is the Best Three.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone here play through Human Resouce Machine? I'm having trouble understanding something with puzzle #16. Specifically, why is this solution:

slower than this solution?:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Injustice 2 having the frame data in it is great and I wish every game had that. Their character specific tutorials aren't great though, yeah.

In terms of getting a good sense of what all the characters do and the most common moves you're going to run into, at least they give you that so you can go into a fight with at least some kind of gameplan. Like, I have a good sense of what I'm going up against with all 30 characters and that probably took me maybe a couple hours in tutorials. I feel like for Tekken that will at least be 20 hours just to get the character archetypes straight

I am jealous of Guilty Gear's training mode, from what I've seen in videos, though

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 4, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Parasyte anime is really good outside of the somewhat tropey first episode (gotta make sure theres an accidental grope misunderstanding!!! wheee!!!!!)

someday I'll play FF14 and there's no hurry because I think FF11 is still going even today

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Parasyte anime is really good outside of the somewhat tropey first episode (gotta make sure theres an accidental grope misunderstanding!!! wheee!!!!!)

someday I'll play FF14 and there's no hurry because I think FF11 is still going even today

FF11 is apparently like one of S-E's most profitable games ever and the most profitable FF ever. It's kind of crazy despite the fact that it never actually got *huge* like WoW it just kept going at a really steady pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Why did it even do that. I don't get it

I like it so far but the kid's mom may as well have a giant countdown clock over her head like that one Nickelback song music video because she is absolutely not making it out of this series alive. come on now.

• Locked thread