Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Basebf555, how did you watch The Resurrected? DVD/Blu-Ray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

24. The Resurrected

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm really kind of baffled that this one isn't more widely known; as you said, it's definitely my favorite non-Gordon Lovecraft movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Basebf555, how did you watch The Resurrected? DVD/Blu-Ray?

Sorry, forgot to mention. There's a pretty nice version on youtube, which I streamed with the PS4 youtube app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epcJSlwuZ08

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm really kind of baffled that this one isn't more widely known; as you said, it's definitely my favorite non-Gordon Lovecraft movie.

Ah, yea thanks for the recommendation! Sorry for the double post, meant to edit.

It really is bizarre that a fairly faithful Lovecraft adaptation directed by O'Bannon wouldn't be a cult classic. I just don't get it, but a horror fan could easily go their whole life without knowing it exists unless they frequent a horror thread where people know about obscure poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah. It also made me really appreciate Amazon Prime, which up until now I thought was superfluous with Netflix's catalog. Searching for horror movies made me find a bunch of titles I really need to watch. Their interface is just lovely for finding titles.

I was looking at your Letterboxd, and I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia because I can't devote 4 hours to a movie. I think I might try, though.

Not only is their interface poo poo they miscategorize horror movies. Hulu has a even worse interface now. You can't even scroll through the whole collection it's such a bullshit thing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Back in the days of old school Netflix (circa 2004 or so), they had a comprehensive search function where you could find movies by director, year, actor, etc. They did away with that in favor of the disorganized mess of "here's what you will watch next" tiles. Netflix is such a bad service for people who don't want to be hand held in making their watching decisions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well I didn't even come close to 13 because I spent this month playing video games and watching X-Files and The Real Ghostbusters (and being incredibly sick). I regret nothing, except choosing to watch a bunch of stupid sequels on netflix.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Review batch 2/3:

Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964):

Lewis' movies have been a weird blind spot for me considering he's basically the granddaddy of both gory horror movies and also backwoods-flavored horror (from what I've heard, Texas Chainsaw Massacre probably wouldn't exist without his influence). This wasn't a particularly good movie, but it was interesting - you can tell it's experimenting with just far to lean into the silliness, and as a result it doesn't quite stick the landing as either a horror movie or a dark comedy. The deaths were fairly creative and surprisingly brutal for the 60s, and that seems to be the film's central draw, but they are spread out pretty thin and there isn't really enough substance to the filler in between - characters are thinly sketched, the acting is mostly terrible (though a few people are having a lot of fun with it), and there is impressively little tension. Making most of the score diegetic was an interesting choice that I think mostly worked - it definitely aged better than a lot of the music from low-budget horror movies of the era. An interesting piece of history, but probably a bit too slow and not quite campy enough to make up for it for most people. There's also a completely unnecessary twist that could have been interesting, except it shows up in literally the last 5 minutes when the plot has already been resolved, so.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Blood Feast (1963):

Another Lewis film with a goofy premise that I sorta have to admire - a creepy old shopkeeper named Ramses is murdering young women and taking parts of their bodies as sacrifices for the blood feast of the goddess Ishtar, who is Egyptian here for some reason. He also has a really bad limp, yet somehow manages to keep sneaking up on his victims. The actor playing Ramses is pretty much the only one having any fun with their role, and is basically holding the entire movie on his shoulders. The acting otherwise is godawful (worse than Maniacs), the writing is just as bad, and the soundtrack here is pretty distracting. The makeup work for the gore is pretty good for its time, but unlike Maniacs, there isn't a whole lot of creativity to it - mostly he just walks up to people and stabs them. The only real exception is a pretty funny death by garbage truck. Lots of glaringly bad cinematography here - messy composition, weird angles, etc. Another movie that isn't quite campy enough to be enjoyable, but not competent enough to be taken seriously.

:spooky::spooky:.5

A Field in England (2013):

I didn't realize until afterward that this was directed by the same guy who did Kill List, but it immediately made perfect sense. I'm also surprised there isn't more horror that mines this particular period in history, because there's a lot of potential. A small cast, but they all put in great performances - Shearsmith and Smiley in particular. Shooting it in black and white was a good choice, I think, and there are a lot of pretty shots. Some of the really strobe-heavy sequences were a bit excessive for me, and I could see them putting someone off completely since in a couple places it feels kind of amateurish and irritating, but I think the overall effect hits the mark they were going for. Favorite scene is probably Whitehead getting turned into a human divining rod - his expression and body language were just creepy as hell to me for some reason. Interesting ending, with a few different possible interpretations.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Alien: Covenant (2017):

Wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but I ended up liking it for the most part. I like that Scott is totally up for experimenting even in a huge studio film, and there's still quite a bit of thematic connective tissue between this and Prometheus even though it feels like a much different movie in places. My favorite scene is probably the opening, but there are a lot of really pretty, well-composed shots, which isn't really a surprise. I do think Scott struggles a bit with really kinetic scenes in open spaces - the editing feels a little off in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. Fassbender is great as usual, but really the whole cast is pulling their weight here. I'm not entirely sold on how many contextual plot elements occurred off-screen - even though it's mostly pretty easy to imply / make an educated guess as to what is going on, it took me out of the movie in a couple places because I was trying to figure out if I had blanked out some scenes from Prometheus or something. My opinion will probably change as time goes by and I digest more of it, but I think Prometheus might be slightly more interesting but also a bit less entertaining.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
20. Demons 2

I'm amazed at the sheer lunacy of this film. It's like the Gremlins 2 of the Demons franchise, though played a little more straight. This movie took a lot of my expectations and threw them down the stair well.

My friend who watched TCM with me yesterday (we're going to call him Savvy for now on) came over again asking for another horror movie, but he wanted something "crazy and 80's". I think he put it best when he said, "These movies are loving insane, man. They just keep throwing punches. First everyone dies, then the kid dies and becomes a demon, and I'm like, drat, this movie goes hard. Then of course the kid gives birth to a baby demon. Of course it does. I don't know why, but it does. So now I'm trying to deal with that poo poo and then the baby demon starts chasing the pregnant lady. It just keeps going. I won't sleep for weeks."

I think that the first movie's intimacy of a small movie theater is more tense, but this movie definitely deserves to stand alongside it. I'm a little disappointed that there aren't as many coked out punk rockers--they're kind of there just to be there, an audience distraction and subversion of expectations.

This movie's soundtrack was killer. I wasn't expecting to rock out to The Smiths and Love & Rockets. This soundtrack is good enough for a party mix.

Also, this is now one of my favorite horror movie effects, a mix of Videodrome, and the famous wall scene from Nightmare on Elm Street:

Overall, a wild ride and one of the best ways I could have ended the challenge.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think the losers all have to watch Night Train of Terror or Deadtime Stories

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 1, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think that's an excellent idea.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Definitely Night Train

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I could do a stream where we all watch it together.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think that's an excellent idea

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm in. I watched mine but didn't post them up. :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Suuuure you did.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Review batch 3/3:

Inland Empire (2006):

The last film I needed to check off my list to have officially seen all of Lynch's stuff. This is a surprisingly hard movie to track down, couldn't seem to find it streaming or for rent anywhere. I think this might be in my top 3 favorites of his now - it's both purestrain Lynch and purestrain cinema, with layers and layers of recursive imagery, symbolism, and narrative beats. Dern is awesome, and definitely the best performance here, but there are a lot of bizarre little bit parts that really bring everything together. I can definitely see why the really smeary digital look would turn some people away, and I think there are a few shots where it looks amateurish in a way that doesn't entirely lend itself to the scene, but I thought it was an interesting choice, especially in a movie where filmmaking itself is such a cornerstone element. This movie is definitely long and not an easy watch, but I think it's pretty rewarding. Really wish I could have caught this in a theater when it was released.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5

Black Christmas (1974):

Is this the first slasher movie? I guess you could probably make a case for Eyes Without a Face, but this feels more prototypical. Also maybe the first movie to do the "calls coming from inside the house" thing? Either way it's a pretty fun movie - the acting is a little hit or miss, and most of the bit parts are honestly more memorable that some of the main cast, but I think the decision to focus most of the movie on the female lead instead of the killer gives it a lot more depth and makes more a punchier, tenser time. Ending was a little predictable, though probably much less so at the time, but there was still a surprising amount of restraint with the script and direction. Definitely a classic for a reason.

Belladonna of Sadness (1973):

This was certainly something else. Really gorgeous artwork throughout, the style combined with the score give it a really cool psychedelic vibe. Tons of interesting imagery, and a pretty neat depiction of the devil. I was totally unprepared for the movie to go completely off the rails and become an acid trip for like 10 straight minutes, but it was amazing. I had to keep pausing because there were so many crazy things going on that I couldn't pay attention to them all. The ending is really interesting, but I'm not sure I've fully digested this movie yet.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5

Carnival of Souls (1962):

This was a rewatch, because the last time I saw it was with other people and while I enjoyed it, I didn't pay it as much attention as I wanted. I'm glad I did, because this is definitely a movie to watch alone with the lights out. I love how it just starts right away without any title cards or studio info or anything. The atmosphere that it builds is really thick, and the organ-music score was an inspired choice. Interestingly, some of the things that call attention to the fact that it's a film - the harsh lighting, heavy makeup, and brusque editing, etc. - make it even more disorienting (similar in some ways to how I felt about Inland Empire). Lots of great shots and interesting composition throughout, and overall absolutely worth a watch for anyone with even a passing interesting in horror.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Repulsion (1965):

It's crazy to me that Polanski could make a movie like this and then do what he did. It's a bleak, unpleasant movie with a lot of psychological depth, and it does a very effective job of externalizing Deneuve's interior traumas (though there are lots of minor physical cues that do a lot of work too, like the way she starts taking on little rabbit-like ticks juxtaposed with the rabbit carcass rotting on a plate). The hallway scene is powerful, even knowing about it beforehand. There is just a really oppressive atmosphere throughout the movie - it's really impressive how it manages to feel claustrophobic and even dangerous outside in broad daylight. I do kinda feel like that atmosphere slips a bit in the end when it all devolves into violence, even though it makes thematic / narrative sense. An uncomfortable movie, but a great one.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

I also watched a couple short films as a bonus but I'm not counting those.

edit: is there a limit to the number of :spookies: in a post or something?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's an insane list. Were these all first time views?

Glad to see Belladonna of Sadness on there, it's certainly overwhelming and dense. There's a lot to unpack there. Horrendous and fascinating, ironic and somehow a little optimistic. It's hard to recommend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm gonna do the Night Train stream saturday at 8 EST. Is that cool with all you other shameful not-enough-horror watchers?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

That's an insane list. Were these all first time views?

Glad to see Belladonna of Sadness on there, it's certainly overwhelming and dense. There's a lot to unpack there. Horrendous and fascinating, ironic and somehow a little optimistic. It's hard to recommend.

All aside from Carnival of Souls, which I tried to watch with some other people and didn't end up paying very close attention to.

BoS was very bizarre, and I probably wouldn't have ever found it if not for people in genchat talking about it a while back. I am definitely going to be thinking about it for a while.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in knowing what everyone's favorite watches were for the challenge.

If I had to pick one...I think I had most fun watching The Church. I had a friend over, and our reactions were just escalated excitement throughout.

For best movie, I think I'll give it to Opera, since it was new to me, but I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Eyes of My Mother are almost perfect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean with the selection I had it's not really fair, obviously it was Army of Darkness.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I'm interested in knowing what everyone's favorite watches were for the challenge.

If I had to pick one...I think I had most fun watching The Church. I had a friend over, and our reactions were just escalated excitement throughout.

For best movie, I think I'll give it to Opera, since it was new to me, but I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Eyes of My Mother are almost perfect.

Horror Express and Pieces were probably the most fun I had during watches thanks to watching them with friends. Just so many funny lines in those movies.

A Lizard in A Woman's Skin was my favorite though. I'm such a Fulci fanboy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would have a really hard time choosing a favorite, because there were 3 or 4 that were real standouts.

The Burning turned out to be one of the most consistently entertaining slashers I've ever seen, Tourist Trap actually terrified me at certain moments(that almost never happens anymore), and Fright Night was just soooo much fun to watch.

Also major shout out to The Resurrected, because adding another awesome Lovecraft adaptation to my go-to list is a great thing for my annual October marathon.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That's tough, looking back over my list. I enjoyed the vast majority and there were several that did some really cool unusual stuff. I think overall I had the must fun with The Rambler followed closely by The Evil Within. That feels really weird to type with multiple Cronenberg/Cohen entries on the list, but I I stand by it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I find it interesting that limiting the number of films from 31 to 13 caused a consistently good to great line-up for me, and it seems that way for most of the participants (sorry Lurdiak).

I'm excited for the October challenge, even though I can't seem to stop watching horror movies now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I find it interesting that limiting the number of films from 31 to 13 caused a consistently good to great line-up for me, and it seems that way for most of the participants (sorry Lurdiak).

Hey, blame Netflix's largely terrible selection, or god.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I'm excited for the October challenge, even though I can't seem to stop watching horror movies now.

I did a really good job exercising will power so that I didn't just rewatch every classic that typically goes into the October marathon. By sticking to new stuff it means when October rolls around I'll still be plenty excited to watch all my old favorites again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, blame Netflix's largely terrible selection, or god.

I agree, Prime has a better selection even without Shudder, but the Netflix list in the OP is still decent to great. And God's not real.

Basebf555 posted:

I did a really good job exercising will power so that I didn't just rewatch every classic that typically goes into the October marathon. By sticking to new stuff it means when October rolls around I'll still be plenty excited to watch all my old favorites again.

Yeah, I'm excited to finally re-watch An American Werewolf In London and Halloween this year, after avoiding them for a few years now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hulu actually has a decent selection of Horror but they also got The Outer Limits and Night Gallery , Dark Shadows etc..

They have a good selection of Horror TB series.

Just wish we'd get a streaming service to add Tales from the Crypt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just a reminder that my Night Train to Terror stream is at 8 EST tonight. Everyone who failed the challenge is welcome to tune in for redemption.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The pre-stream is starting. Live in 25!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Where the heck is everyone. I made a medley and everything.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I didn't get home until 10:30, but I showed up for the Ghostbusters episode. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

I didn't get home until 10:30, but I showed up for the Ghostbusters episode. :(

I highly recommend seeking out the film on your own.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I highly recommend seeking out the film on your own.

I agree, there's some technical elements like editing and cinematography that are pretty bad, but who cares when a movie is as batshit insane as that one is?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm ashamed I didn't finish the challenge (I did get in some more movies, but not 13), and doubly shamed I missed the redemption viewing (although I've already seen night train to terror).

As penance if people want, the dudes who finished can pick 3 movies that I'll watch and do a minimum 500 word writeup about each. Only requirement is they're up on streaming (amazon prime, shudder, hulu, netflix, youtube). If this thread gets unstickied/disappeared, i'll post in the main horror thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

I'm ashamed I didn't finish the challenge (I did get in some more movies, but not 13), and doubly shamed I missed the redemption viewing (although I've already seen night train to terror).

As penance if people want, the dudes who finished can pick 3 movies that I'll watch and do a minimum 500 word writeup about each. Only requirement is they're up on streaming (amazon prime, shudder, hulu, netflix, youtube). If this thread gets unstickied/disappeared, i'll post in the main horror thread.

I nominate(and obviously throw out any you've seen before):

The Eyes of My Mother(Netflix)
Baskin(Netflix)
Pieces(Shudder)
Dead and Buried(Shudder)
The Stuff(Shudder)

You have any problems with certain types of horror? If you're not into the more graphic blood and guts kind of horror then steer clear of Baskin.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Basebf555 posted:

I nominate(and obviously throw out any you've seen before):

The Eyes of My Mother(Netflix)
Baskin(Netflix)
Pieces(Shudder)
Dead and Buried(Shudder)
The Stuff(Shudder)

You have any problems with certain types of horror? If you're not into the more graphic blood and guts kind of horror then steer clear of Baskin.

I was actually gonna keep on things I'd seen before, just to make things easy. But it's probably more fun if I limit to new things.

So with that, The Eyes of My Mother is a nominee.

Baskin I actually didn't think was quite as graphic as some people make it out to be (I also thought the parts before they enter the facility and you get all the gore were the best, just a tense atmosphere)
Pieces is a fun movie, but I thought it was a bit uneven. Great for groups though.
Dead and Buried is one of my favorites and I've actually seen it a few times. Really deserves more of a following imo.
The Stuff is another of my favs I've seen a whole bunch (actually rewatched it again in May). For how goofy a lot of the goings on are, there's actually quite a mean edge to it. I also love the end where they show people still buying and selling black market stuff, even after it's shown to rot your insides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Because I want to hurt you for your failure and because we never talk about category 3 stuff in this the horror thread, I'm going to nominate The Untold Story (1993).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NevT4kH2luA

• Locked thread