Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, I love all kinds of trash media, it's not like I set the bar all that high. But even if we're just talking about Neil Gaiman in particular then Sandman and his short stories are much better than any of his full-length novels.

e: sandman's kind of apples to oranges of course but then again that's also why it works

That doesn't answer my question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shooting Blanks posted:

That doesn't answer my question.

Sure it does.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I've never understood why there's a need on this forum - whether it's with books, films, trailers, whatever - to classify such a large percentage of stuff as "bad". When I see the line parroted multiple times that American Gods is "bad", I have to say I've read bad - I know bad. American Gods is not "bad." I mean, if you truly believe so, thank your lucky stars that you've somehow missed the huge swaths of truly awful dreck that's been written.

The LA Times TV Guide used to rate movies from one to four stars. Two stars had the description, "flawed, has moments." I always thought that was a good way to classify stuff that wasn't great, but wasn't bad. "Bad" is the one-star poo poo.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

achillesforever6 posted:

The opening for this episode is going to piss off so many shitheads

It's insanely good

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wizchine posted:

I've never understood why there's a need on this forum - whether it's with books, films, trailers, whatever - to classify such a large percentage of stuff as "bad". When I see the line parroted multiple times that American Gods is "bad", I have to say I've read bad - I know bad. American Gods is not "bad." I mean, if you truly believe so, thank your lucky stars that you've somehow missed the huge swaths of truly awful dreck that's been written.

The LA Times TV Guide used to rate movies from one to four stars. Two stars had the description, "flawed, has moments." I always thought that was a good way to classify stuff that wasn't great, but wasn't bad. "Bad" is the one-star poo poo.

No, it's actually rather bad. It's more than 'flawed,' its writing is dull, plot uninteresting, and it's a failure in its conception of American faith and folklore

e:

Zaphod42 posted:

Also there's no way its worse written than anything pre-20th century. Old school writing, with the sole exception of Shakespeare (because he was writing plays, not books) is so loving painfully dry.

loving lol

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 4, 2017

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

:same:

Also there's no way its worse written than anything pre-20th century. Old school writing, with the sole exception of Shakespeare (because he was writing plays, not books) is so loving painfully dry.

quit being a loving child and read moby dick

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This episode was loving incredible. Easily the best of the series so far and totally selling me as a roadmap of what a longer-form version of this story will be like and how the new gods Fuller and his crew are creating will work. I can't wait for this episode to air!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Where the gently caress is my Mr.Nancy

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

achillesforever6 posted:

It's a shame we didn't get a Coming to America segment about the Romans who came to America to bring Vulcan to this world.
If Egyptian gods are roaming around because of some Muslims telling stories to children then the Greco-Roman pantheon isn't a stretch

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, I love all kinds of trash media, it's not like I set the bar all that high. But even if we're just talking about Neil Gaiman in particular then Sandman and his short stories are much better than any of his full-length novels.

e: sandman's kind of apples to oranges of course but then again that's also why it works

Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen any comic writer translate into a really good long form prose writer. It's an entirely different set of mental muscles and it's hard to shake the bad habits you pick up writing comics because you can get away with certain things you can't in prose.

I'd never say Gaiman isn't an excellent writer, it's just that novel length prose isn't his strong suit.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elotana posted:

If Egyptian gods are roaming around because of some Muslims telling stories to children then the Greco-Roman pantheon isn't a stretch

The egyptian gods have arrived during some ancient egyptian migration thousands of years ago.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I wouldn't call Gaimans books amazing, but they're definitely fun reads. Neverwhere and Stardust are two of my favorites, they're definitely not Pulitzer prize winning books but they're not utter trash.

Sandman is still his best material, he's definitely far better with visual assistance. But I've read all of his stuff and very rarely do I regret the time spent. They're quick reads with some great ideas. Though I will say I didn't enjoy Norse Mythology all that much, but I suspect that's largely due to already knowing the stories and not getting enough new content out of them (and to be fair he says all he was doing was retelling old stories).

It's been years since I read American Gods but I think overall I just really liked the concepts it had. I'm enjoying the show but I definitely think the concept allows for an anthology series after the main story is told - they can complete the novel arc and there's no reason they couldn't tell the stories of other Old and New Gods that are trying to remain relevant.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Haven't watched the newest ep yet. But I'd like to just brag that I spent the day at The House On The Rock today. The Carosel and Mikado are particularly striking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

I wouldn't call Gaimans books amazing, but they're definitely fun reads. Neverwhere and Stardust are two of my favorites, they're definitely not Pulitzer prize winning books but they're not utter trash.

Stardust is very well-written - tight plotting, pacing, great characters, it has it all. That, Coraline, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane are his unqualified successes. Anansi Boys is great too.

This episode totally restored my faith in this as a TV show though. God drat, now we're talking!

...there's only 2 episode left, where are Mr. Nancy and American Jesus?! I assume we're getting Jesus next episode.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo. I was completely floored by what happened in the Coming to America segment after what we saw in the YouTube clip.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Holy poo poo. I was completely floored by what happened in the Coming to America segment after what we saw in the YouTube clip.

Same. That was very, very clever marketing.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I wonder if Shadow's experience with Vulcan will lead to him catching on to Hinzelmann faster.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This week's coming to America. I called it as soon as it started by I was flooded by the ending.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

I wonder if Shadow's experience with Vulcan will lead to him catching on to Hinzelmann faster.

Or at least the audience catching on faster, i'm glad i'm not the only one who caught some some vague whiffs of Lakeside in Vulcan's town, i was worried i was overthinking it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Democratic Pirate posted:

Casting PewDiePie as techno god would have been some sweet meta poo poo.

Didn't PewDiePie get in trouble for sponsoring racially insensitive stunts recently, and it led to his YouTube show being cancelled? I wonder how much of the adaptations to Tech Boy were inspired by that

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen any comic writer translate into a really good long form prose writer. It's an entirely different set of mental muscles and it's hard to shake the bad habits you pick up writing comics because you can get away with certain things you can't in prose.
I'm reading Alan Moore's Jerusalem and while I'm not far enough in to make any grand judgement, so far it's really good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope we get to see the Jesus from Revelation in this book. Maybe during a 'backstage' segment so they can go hog wild with CGI.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

Didn't PewDiePie get in trouble for sponsoring racially insensitive stunts recently, and it led to his YouTube show being cancelled? I wonder how much of the adaptations to Tech Boy were inspired by that

he wore a nazi hat when he was playing wolfenstein or company of heroes or something

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Normal Adult Human posted:

he wore a nazi hat when he was playing wolfenstein or company of heroes or something

In my experience in historical gaming communities, anyone who likes the nazis enough to own and publically sport a piece of nazi gear is almost certainly somewhere around "border militiaman" or further extreme in terms of their racial politics.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Also, paid two dudes to carry a sign saying "death to all Jews." Because comedy or something.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Didn't Neverwhere start off as a shoe before becoming a book?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

angerbeet posted:

Didn't Neverwhere start off as a shoe before becoming a book?

Yes it was inspired by Air Jordans. :)

It's a bit of a weird one - it was a show, but Gaiman wrote the book parallel with it.

Despite loving the book, not a huge fan of the show.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The show had the usual BBC budget problems and unlike other shows, high concept fantasy does not work well with the low budget charm.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Medullah posted:

Yes it was inspired by Air Jordans. :)

It's a bit of a weird one - it was a show, but Gaiman wrote the book parallel with it.

Despite loving the book, not a huge fan of the show.

I think he wrote the teleplay too? As far as mediums go tv is pretty close to comics, it's why you a fair bit of crossover between the two.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The recent radio adaptation was pretty good, and had a phenomenal cast. Worth taking a look at IMO.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

...that was a weird re-interpretation of Mr Wood.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

i would imagine the us army would dicksuck about how epic and ftw the missile sattelite is, like they do with all military technology.

I wonder what deal was made with Moloch to give the Mother Of All Bombs that acronym...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it just me, or was the decapitation horribly directed? Bad editing, camera work, nonexistent special effects

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Is it just me, or was the decapitation horribly directed? Bad editing, camera work, nonexistent special effects

I hated that they did the trope of slash, head slowly falls off. That works with a razor thin katana, not with a giant loving broadsword.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Medullah posted:

I hated that they did the trope of slash, head slowly falls off. That works with a razor thin katana, not with a giant loving broadsword.

It's what he believed would happen. :haw:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Steve Yun posted:

It was goofy as gently caress but seeing Vulcan's head melt into the fire was kinda cool even if goofy

Also the loving look on Ian McShane's face :allears:

Somebody make an animated gif of Wednesday pissing on the forge PLEASE

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 6, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I hope Vulcan does recover, Corbin Bernson needs more good roles. Plus it makes a nice bookend if makes a surprise entrance holding the gun at the parley.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm not clear on how Wednesday knew Vulcan sold him out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I imagine there's a bit of playing the odds involved. The gods who have the least to gain from his little war are the ones who are most likely not to support him, after all, and Vulcan has little to gain that he doesn't already have.

If Wednesday's wrong, well, he still ends up getting Vulcan's help in addition to a sweet sword out of the trip.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm not clear on how Wednesday knew Vulcan sold him out.

He read him, asked, and Vulcan confirmed it. If he was wrong, no harm no foul. Wednesday seems like a good poker player.

Could also be some supernatural thing like the ravens were spying and found out people were coming or something, but I think he just got a bad feeling from the way Vulcan was going on.

If Vulcan was smart he would have told them to just piss off in the first place, but he couldn't resist making another weapon. By staying "neutral" he was probably hoping Wednesday would go down fighting with his weapon, thus granting him further sacrifices. He got greedy.

• Locked thread