Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bass Bottles posted:

I really like the idea of Larry Wilmore getting the show.

Ah yes, someone who, like Bill, isn't funny, but is also generally terrible at the panel format, excellent choice.

Can Real Time with Larry Wilmore also have Larry playing air guitar in a bathroom? That bit of the intro really summed up the nightly show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

Muslim extremists want to kill us all and have no power to do so. American Nazis want to kill us all and have all the loving guns.

:lol:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

coyo7e posted:

Larry Wilmore has a podcast now, and it's generally mostly excellent. It's called "Black on the Air" and most of his guests and interviews have been amazeballs https://theringer.com/larry-wilmore-black-on-the-air-podcast-d9c4bfa76be6

Oooh, I will check this out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

He constantly invites people from the other side on to his show, yet refuses to actually engage with their ideas. He'll just say "no, no, no..." and try to get them to repeat his pre-scripted talking point. What's the point? I often come away from his interviews thinking the right-winger came across as the more intelligent person. That's how bad he sucks at this.

he also just treats em with kid gloves. never called out that trump supporting lady for tone policing which makes her the biggest hypocrite and was super nice to jeffrey lord who's the most annoying troll on planet earth.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

he also just treats em with kid gloves. never called out that trump supporting lady for tone policing which makes her the biggest hypocrite and was super nice to jeffrey lord who's the most annoying troll on planet earth.

Yeah, it's jarring because he'll call some conservatives every name in the book until said conservatives appear as guests. I understand that they wouldn't show up at all if Bill was just going to call them loving idiots on live TV but he barely engages them at all and likes finding lovely things to agree with them with.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Aves Maria! posted:

the truth isn't really that funny

Apoplexy posted:

Muslim extremists want to kill us all and have no power to do so. American Nazis want to kill us all and have all the loving guns. You really think 'lol' means anything other than 'I'm just racist against brown-skinned people' here?

Groovelord Neato posted:

right wing extremists literally control the government.

coyo7e posted:

Recently in a city less than 2 hours drive away from me, two white people were stabbed to death by a racist white guy, and a third got his throat cut the gently caress open as well... By a white dude shouting about his right to free speech.

A couple days later, another racist white guy attacked a TriMet driver while shouting racist bullshit.

The only "lol" that ought to be included here, is the "lol, white people really still think that they are not part of the problem?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why did you quote me being right and follow it with lol? i need this explained to me. thanks.

it might be you're an idiot since you sub to hbo for real time and got when westworld is a hundred times better than either one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did you quote me being right and follow it with lol? i need this explained to me. thanks.

it might be you're an idiot since you sub to hbo for real time and got when The Leftovers is a hundred times better than either one.

Ftfy because Westworld is insanely bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not but even if you wrongly think so it's still better than both real time and got so my post is right either way.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wahhabism/right-wing Islam is arguably the most well financed extremist ideology on this planet, and the American military has been doing their dirty work in the Middle East on behalf of their oil for the last sixty years. Meanwhile, Richard Spencer gets his rear end beat in public by hippies wherever he goes.

Forgive me if I find the former more alarming.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RedSpider posted:

Wahhabism/right-wing Islam is arguably the most well financed extremist ideology on this planet, and the American military has been doing their dirty work in the Middle East on behalf of their oil for the last sixty years. Meanwhile, Richard Spencer gets his rear end beat in public by hippies wherever he goes.

forgive me if I write you off as a dumbass who has no idea how white supremacy has infested every level of government (and now is seen as acceptable enough to inspire dozens of killings/beatings) and generally makes the lives of minorities terrible

but you're right, it's muslim extremism that kills/oppresses black people on a daily basis

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 4, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Both can be and are bad, y'all.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Aves Maria! posted:

but you're right, it's muslim extremism that kills/oppresses black people on a near daily basis

Capitalism is responsible for that, actually.

Matt Zerella posted:

But this viewpoint doesn't get you airtime or ratings on CNN and FOX.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RedSpider posted:

Capitalism is responsible for that, actually.

lol yes, it's capitalism that makes white people afraid of black people. not racist ideology

Matt Zerella posted:

both are bad, but in terms of what's more of a threat to the US? it's right-wing extremism. mostly bc you have permissive idiots like the above

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Aves Maria! posted:

lol yes, it's capitalism that makes white people afraid of black people. not racist ideology

Capitalism is the primary force behind it. Perhaps you've never heard of private prisons and the militarization of the police.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aves Maria! posted:

both are bad, but in terms of what's more of a threat to the US? it's right-wing extremism. mostly bc you have permissive idiots like the above

I'm not disagreeing with you. Pre 9/11, the worst terrorist attack on US soil was carried out by white supremacists.

But on a global scale, of which we are a big part of, Wahhabism is a huge problem considering we're fighting them on multiple fronts in the Middle East right now.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RedSpider posted:

Capitalism is the primary force behind it. Perhaps you've never heard of private prisons and the militarization of the police.

private prisons or police militarization aren't the reason jeff sessions is a ghoulish racist who is specifically targeting minorities, nor is it the reason republicans target minorities for voter suppression, nor is it the reason white people always find a reason to make sure white police officers aren't guilty for killing black children

capitalism is bad, but it isn't the reason for all the world's woes

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't think anyone should say racist things and if you do you should retract and apologize and try to be a better person

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RedSpider posted:

i said right wing extremists run our government and that's correct. you lolled at it. i didn't say anything about literal nazis.

also why was isis able to grow? why does any extremist group get a foothold over there?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RedSpider posted:

You do know there are literal nazis like Richard Bannon in the Whitehosue influencing the fickle idiot-child president right? I worry more about being nailed by a drunk driver than I do a nutter muslim with a gun or a van. I worry FAR more about the freedom caucus aka the American Hamas, or all the literal nazis influencing Trump. To say nothing of Trump himself trying to burn down the world because the european leaders didn't coddle his balls like the saudis letting him touch their orb. So yes it's both but holy poo poo can we not diminish the one actually IN our government?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Trump isn't even stopping the terrorists he promised to stop. ISIS keeps blowing people up and he's still sitting on the nukes. Sad! Trump is president and he has thousands of nukes at his disposal but he still decides to sit at a computer and send out ineffectual tweets.

NOTE: I'm not calling for Trump to do this. This is called satire.

IRQ posted:

Well it's not hard for Bill to find common ground when the dumb rear end in a top hat in question just blindly hates young people (or muslims) as much as he does.

Interestingly, I've heard three or four conservative guys on TV recently start calling millennials "Peter Pan." Yes, all those people just graduating with tens of thousands $$$ in debt that are struggling to find work even in min. wage temp. jobs in some areas are now Peter Pan.

When Obama was in office it was about how all the jobs being shipped overseas but now that benevolent Trump is in office it's all about self-determinism again. This is, of course, in the midst of Trump/Fox News doing the predictable 180 degree change on the economic measurements. Trump was shouting about 20%+ unemployment all last year and now Fox News is touting the amazing Trump 4.3% unemployment rate.

Oh Snapple! posted:

...bill maher...never met a muslim he didn't want exterminated

Irshad Manji may be the only one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

satire died on november 8, 2016.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

also why was isis able to grow? why does any extremist group get a foothold over there?

ISIS pays a salary (which is not much, but more than they'd earn doing menial tasks) to disaffected young'uns and adults who can't get gainful employment anywhere else, and let them rape whomever/whenever they like which takes care of their repressed sexuality and not only adds compensation as a motivator, but sexual pleasure. Also, killing people is a whole lot more engaging and interesting than sitting around getting hosed over by ultra-corrupt governments.

Saudi Arabia has counteracted a lot of youth loss to ISIS by giving their (male) youths government-sponsored places to go after school to play video games and soccer in the hope they'll make it through their adolesence without picking up an AK.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 5, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

satire died on november 8, 2016.

We still have Hillary in denial about losing to a flamboyant billionaire buffoon.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Saudi Arabia has counteracted a lot of youth loss to ISIS by giving their (male) youths government-sponsored places to go after school to play video games and soccer in the hope they'll make it through their adolesence without picking up an AK.

which is like repeatedly stabbing someone then giving them a snoopy bandaid to stop the bleeding

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Wow, the discourse in this thread really took a nose dive and hit rock bottom around the time Groovelord Neato thought it was an epic burn to insult people's taste in cable TV rather than make a coherent argument.

Maher is a old crank, for sure, but I don't think he's a racist. And the context of that joke was not disparaging to black folks; it was poking fun at the warped anachronism of his guest. He hosed up; and then he rightly apologized. People will say he doesn't actually feel remorse and never would have apologized if not for the backlash; but saying politically incorrect things is literally his gimmick.

His comments on Islam over the last decade are troubling, but I always thought it had more to do with his distaste for organized religion than anything else. He thinks all religions are dumb and that they hold back free thought and liberties so much that he made a documentary about it (which I've never seen, actually). He harps on Islam because so many people commit acts of violence in its name. And then he parrots a bunch of statistics about how a lot of Muslims are in favor of death by stonings, or whatever. Repeat since 2010. He makes valid points that there are cultures that allow for some pretty ugly acts like honor killings, but his hang ups on religion takes him to weird logical leaps about all people of this faith.

As for his interviews and panels, he has reasonable, soft spoken dialogues with his guests. Most often he has to end it quick and say we disagree, but I appreciate these talks at a time when most of cable news is shouting and cutting off mics.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think that line is from an old movie or Eddie Murphy skit..........

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Racism isn't a binary of yes/no, this person is racist/this person is not racist. It's woven into the fabric of every element of our every day lives, and Bill's commentary on Islam is too often more poison in the well.

I don't think he's a bad person by the standards of our time, but he really should not have said what he did. The heat he's getting is totally deserved.

I also think he has a lot of flaws as an interviewer (less so as a moderator) and that the show would be better served by him stepping aside, but that's most likely not going to happen.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Except there is no problem with him saying that joke. It's a joke.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

Wow, the discourse in this thread really took a nose dive and hit rock bottom around the time Groovelord Neato thought it was an epic burn to insult people's taste in cable TV rather than make a coherent argument.

Maher is a old crank, for sure, but I don't think he's a racist. And the context of that joke was not disparaging to black folks; it was poking fun at the warped anachronism of his guest. He hosed up; and then he rightly apologized. People will say he doesn't actually feel remorse and never would have apologized if not for the backlash; but saying politically incorrect things is literally his gimmick.

His comments on Islam over the last decade are troubling, but I always thought it had more to do with his distaste for organized religion than anything else. He thinks all religions are dumb and that they hold back free thought and liberties so much that he made a documentary about it (which I've never seen, actually). He harps on Islam because so many people commit acts of violence in its name. And then he parrots a bunch of statistics about how a lot of Muslims are in favor of death by stonings, or whatever. Repeat since 2010. He makes valid points that there are cultures that allow for some pretty ugly acts like honor killings, but his hang ups on religion takes him to weird logical leaps about all people of this faith.

As for his interviews and panels, he has reasonable, soft spoken dialogues with his guests. Most often he has to end it quick and say we disagree, but I appreciate these talks at a time when most of cable news is shouting and cutting off mics.

Groovelord neato was right though

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Except there is no problem with him saying that joke. It's a joke.

Bill himself disagrees with you

White people don't get to make that joke

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Yeah, I agree that Maher is getting a bit old and that he should maybe choose a successor to keep the show going. I do still enjoy this show because I don't think there's anything else like it. I just don't want another disaster succession like the Daily Show. Trevor Noah is as intellectually unstimulating as he is unfunny. Someone similarly outspoken and brazen like Hannibal Buress would be good.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I like Trevor Noah. 🤷‍♀️

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Bass Bottles posted:

Bill himself disagrees with you

White people don't get to make that joke

Yes. They do. Everyone does. Are you an anti-dentite for making a dentist joke? No. It's a loving joke. Everyone can make any joke they want.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I watch the show on and off but as of late I really don't like it. Any real discussion is sidelined by bad joke segments and bad guests that hock their books in the middle of them having any actual discussion. And he supposedly hates all organized religion but it's become painfully clear he has a crazy rear end bias against everyone who follows Islam instead of the very small comparative non extremists portions. If you're going to feel that way of Islam then you need to direct that crazy to other religious extremists too. They really should get someone that will have real discussions and not 10 minutes of bad talking points sandwiched between a bunch of godawful jokes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Yes. They do. Everyone does. Are you an anti-dentite for making a dentist joke? No. It's a loving joke. Everyone can make any joke they want.

How could I forget this country's tragic history of anti-dentist oppression, the consequences of which, invisible and unrecognized by large swaths of the population, remain devastating to this very day.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Bass Bottles posted:

How could I forget this country's tragic history of anti-dentist oppression, the consequences of which, invisible and unrecognized by large swaths of the population, remain devastating to this very day.

That's it, we as a society can never talk about any sensitive subjects ever lest you be hurt beyond repair. It was a loving joke.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

You can talk about them, you just can't trivialize them.

The whole problem with modern racism is how invisible it is to the majority of the population. That's how it still has such power, and that's how jokes like Bill's that trivialize it are actively harmful.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Super Deuce posted:

Indeed, everyone can make any joke they want. That doesn't give everyone a pass to say whatever they like, in the context of a joke, without any criticism for it ever.

George Carlin said the n-word. Louis CK had a bit about how "the n-word" was itself bullshit, because it makes you think about the actual word when you hear it (and he did say the actual word during that routine). I think they're both very funny comedians, and I don't think they're racist just for using that word*. Bill said that word, whilst making a joke about slavery; it was not a particularly funny joke, and it certainly could offend people. He's admitted that, and apologized for it. I don't think he hates black people, and I don't think he needs to be fired, but I can very easily believe both of those things while still admitting he shouldn't have said what he said.

I will also say this: I've made bad jokes of a racist character before in the heat of the moment, such as it is, and two things are true: yes, it's easy to get carried away without realizing it until it's too late, and, yes, you need to loving own it and apologize for being offensive. It shouldn't be the end of the world, but obviously the people who you offended should be satisfied that you're actually sorry for saying the thing you said, and not just sorry that you got caught. You don't get a pass for being offensive just because you were attempting humour at the time.

* Theoretically speaking, I personally would have no problem with saying the n-word in the context of a quote, or discussing the usage of the word, or singing along with rap songs, because I think saying the word is different from using the word; however, it's really not my place to set standards for the usage of racial slurs, and the people against whom those slurs are used say, for the most part, "don't say it ever" whether as a joke, or in a discussion of the word itself, or in the context of a quote, so I'm just not going to do it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Bass Bottles posted:

I like Trevor Noah. 🤷‍♀️

Trevor Noah is hot garbage who's never had an original thought in his life.