Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a ~5x7 rug that works with this and a Geek Chic Envoy Coffee Table. (Nothing else out-of-frame that would influence the decision, the room is pretty bare).

I like this FLOR rug but I'm not sure about piecewise rugs. I like that it's simple, geometric, and asymmetrical.

I'm a big fan of Unique Loom. They're a great way to break out of the IKEA/Target rut without paying too much more. But your budget is in my "fantasy dream shopping spree" range so let's get wild.

This excellent high-end rug store near me is having a sample sale and they'll do free shipping, which is nuts. Not sure if they have anything as geometric as you're looking for though.

This one is sort of dark and complicated and modern, but not as starkly geometric as the one you linked.

This one is wool and I think would pair nicely with your Eames chair, but there's no color.

And this one almost certainly isn't your taste, but it's definitely mine so :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Facebook Aunt posted:

One of mine spent at least 20 minutes of perching on top of the garbage can staring at me intently, and she probably would have enjoyed a nice comfy chair instead. Unfortunately there is no room for a chair in my bathroom unless I replace the garbage can with a bar stool. But if you're going to have a hundred square feet of bathroom space you might as well have a cat chair in there too.

Haifisch posted:

So what you're saying is that if I make overpriced chairs patterned with fish skeletons and paw prints, I can make millions selling them to overindulgent cat people(whose cats will then refuse to use the chairs).

Make a nice looking garbage can with a padded stool seat/lid that's actually strong enough to sit on and you've got it covered both ways.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm a big fan of Unique Loom. They're a great way to break out of the IKEA/Target rut without paying too much more. But your budget is in my "fantasy dream shopping spree" range so let's get wild.

This excellent high-end rug store near me is having a sample sale and they'll do free shipping, which is nuts. Not sure if they have anything as geometric as you're looking for though.

This one is sort of dark and complicated and modern, but not as starkly geometric as the one you linked.

This one is wool and I think would pair nicely with your Eames chair, but there's no color.

And this one almost certainly isn't your taste, but it's definitely mine so :allears:

I like the LA rugs, but I wish they had a bit larger pattern geometry. The abstraction is nice but It feels slightly too busy for the room.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What about something quieter? Distressed traditional rugs ("transitional" in rugspeak) are a big trend right now and this one could give your game room a kind of worn-in warmth.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Put together a design board for overhauling my living room. I got the wallpaper sample today and will start matching paint colors and paint soon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

cheese eats mouse posted:

Put together a design board for overhauling my living room. I got the wallpaper sample today and will start matching paint colors and paint soon.

Merry Christmas!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cheese eats mouse posted:

Very Dorothy Draper! Are you reusing any existing pieces or will it be all new?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Very Dorothy Draper! Are you reusing any existing pieces or will it be all new?

Keeping my red leather sofa and some poster sized black and white movie stills of my favorite actresses and that's about it. I found a sweet mid century modern pod chair that pairs nicely with it and fits with everything else on Craigslist and have been eyeing a gold medusa lamp at a vintage shop.

I'm selling an IKEA rug, side tables, sleeper sofa and part of a malm bed that I used as a console table and putting that towards paint and the wallpaper. I plan to sew my own curtains and try my hand at making my own pillow covers and reusing my not matching pillows to stuff them. Also stalking Craigslist for a black and white rug.

The board is very Christmas but there's going to be more green than red in the room and it should really brighten what is usually a super dark room. I feel like so many people shy away from green and red combo because of Christmas but the green feels super fresh while everyone else is on a turquoise binge.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I just read the first post, and I've got a question. Why the gently caress would you rip out granite counters? They're still incredibly popular around here. Now, poured concrete counters have gone out of fashion somewhat, but granite is still in. IMHO, it still looks amazing.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

sharkytm posted:

I just read the first post, and I've got a question. Why the gently caress would you rip out granite counters? They're still incredibly popular around here. Now, poured concrete counters have gone out of fashion somewhat, but granite is still in. IMHO, it still looks amazing.

Some people think they're ugly, but it's more about how they're a very visible trend from a distinct period of time, which means they're guaranteed to look dated eventually.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think most granite is really ugly, but I prefer solid coloured / no patterns for my countertops. A kitchen counter is not a public transit seat, it shouldn't hide dirt. Give me a solid light shade of something so I can always see it's clean and hygienic.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A tumblr I found full of deliciously vintage interior designs. http://supremeinteriors.tumblr.com/

Some of it's pretty good. Like, I would live here:

And mayb here. It looks like Local Church meets Star Trek. [I'm the color coordinated orbs on the table]

Do you want to walk into a room and wonder if you've gone colorblind but only for every color but green?

McMansionHell voice: BEIGE BEIGE GLORIOUS, ENDLESS BEIGE ....with some tibetan An Art to spruce things up.

Zounds! Houndstooth, inspired by four? dogs? I'm not sure, I keep looking for more dogs but my eyes wont stop sliding everywhere

For when you're tripping balls and the walls are legit melting before your orbs of seeing.

*in an extremely metal gear solid voice* 'plywood.... plywood walls never change....." Bonus: the ceiling opens up for hanging more towels, I guess???

Flowers in the Attic by V C Andrews

pfft look at this loving tub. Where's the rocks?? The moss walls??? Are you going to turn your head constantly to watch your soaps? And where does that door lead to?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That's an old school washing line in the plywood bathroom, hang up clothes, water drips into the bath.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

value-brand cereal posted:

Do you want to walk into a room and wonder if you've gone colorblind but only for every color but green?

Suddenly I find myself wondering what my grandparents' bedroom looked like in past houses. This is like TOILE but a different decade. (needs more antiques though)

Also, is posting an image from tumblr without rehosting not hotlinking? If so this will save me some minor hassle when posting in the future.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Also, is posting an image from tumblr without rehosting not hotlinking? If so this will save me some minor hassle when posting in the future.

Tumblr's CDN should be fine. I'm not sure if they can be deleted by the user, though (often not, it can be a fair bit of work).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

sharkytm posted:

I think a part of it also dependents on the coloring / veins found in the granite itself. I like a more subdued look, but some people like as much patterning in the stone as possible. I personally think that the less crazy granite or quartz will stay in style for longer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
In general the less flashy/in your face something is the better it will age, even as the trend passes. That's why I think stainless steel appliances will still be okay in the future, even though they'll definitely have a "yep that's from the 2010s" vibe to them.

That doesn't mean future buyers won't rip it out because "EWW, OLD", but it'll still look okay.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Haifisch posted:

That doesn't mean future buyers won't rip it out because "EWW, OLD", but it'll still look okay.

That's why the first thing I do when I get a nice new stainless appliance is to take a rattle can of fire engine red to it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My appliances are all white because it's easy to see if they are dir...

Actually it's because I'm poor and they are cheap.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
That tumblr rules, I loving love 60s-70s design.

Look at that tin ceiling!! Do people even like these anymore? My parent's house has that in the kitchen, I think they're original (it was built in the late 1800s) and I always thought it was the coolest drat thing because I'd never seen anything else like that before.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think a part of it also dependents on the coloring / veins found in the granite itself. I like a more subdued look, but some people like as much patterning in the stone as possible. I personally think that the less crazy granite or quartz will stay in style for longer.

Oh, ok. I've got very basic black granite. It was cheap, I think the look is always acceptable, and it was cheap. Our coffee bar/dining room cabinets have black quartz with a subtle blue metal fleck, which was a $25/sqft remnant and I liked that it was very similar and yet different than the granite in the kitchen.

I totally agree about the veiny or wildly patterned granite or marble. It looks great in a brochure, but is awful to live with. My mother has white granite with black and pink granules, and I think it's awful; hides dirt and water, clashes with the cabinets because the whites don't match but are close enough to be ugly, and it's impossible to clean because you can't see where you've been. Some of the places she looked at had green granite with veins of white and pink quartz. :barf:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Look at that tin ceiling!! Do people even like these anymore? My parent's house has that in the kitchen, I think they're original (it was built in the late 1800s) and I always thought it was the coolest drat thing because I'd never seen anything else like that before.

There some tin ceilings in a few old multi family houses here and some bars. They've always seemed pretty rare to find in good condition. I think they're pretty to look at in a restaurant I don't know if I could live with one, but if I had one I would find a way to work with it. Definitely in turn of the century buildings here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Jesus christ

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I Can't Believe It's Not China!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

That's a (possibly imitation) pressed tin ceiling! They were more common in commerical spaces than domestic ones, I think. I love them - the butcher shop we went to when I was growing up had one in perfect condition and I loved how shiny it was. They're great for restaurants too, since they really come alive in candlelight.

Lots of places sell pressed tin tiles, but vintage ones come in larger panels, which I think looks better. Look at all the colors they come in! My inner magpie loves this gold swirly one:

But this one comes in the color we're now calling "spa blue" and I think it would look great in a bathroom, especially with that understated pattern.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aaaaaa I'm watching Flea Market Flip on HGTV and it's like Prada Slut's house (you live there, right) in television form. Watch people buy beautiful antiques and spraypaint them! One team just bought a great looking drafting table that, given that they shoot at the Rose Bowl Flea Market, very possibly came from one of the studios, and built a clunky plywood top over it so it can't be used anymore. Another team attacked some perfectly good night tables with black spraypaint and didn't seal it, so it'll always be faintly sticky. Good job, guys.

I guess it's a less damaging fantasy than house-flipping though.

No, please...

AAAAAAAAA...

Gallery of Desecrations

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 6, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm following one of many DIY groups on Facebook and every now and then someone shows a nice older table, cupboard, dresser or whatever and asking if they should paint it. Of course the comments are always full of idiots cheering them on, and then a day later they post a picture where they painted it some hideous color and you can tell even from the picture taken with a smudged cellphone camera that they laid it on way too thick and there's both paint runs and orange peel surface. :(

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That is truly disheartening :(

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I will never understand people's fascination with having glass topped tables.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

10 Beers posted:

I will never understand people's fascination with having glass topped tables.

Noguchi motherfucker

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Noguchi motherfucker

At this point I'm kind of sick of seeing those in EVERY house. There's a bunch of companies making very similar knockoffs as well which compounds the problem.

I have one of these and I love it, except roomba keeps getting high centered on the two end legs:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ew my parents have a glass and steel dining table and my kid spilled milk and it flowed between the layers and you can see crusty milk and food crumbs under the glass forever :nutshot:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
You can't take the glass out?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Drape Culture posted:

At this point I'm kind of sick of seeing those in EVERY house. There's a bunch of companies making very similar knockoffs as well which compounds the problem.

I have one of these and I love it, except roomba keeps getting high centered on the two end legs:

Roombas also get caught in the legs of Aerons :negative:

E: I don't think a lot of houses have actual Nogucis, it seems more likely they just have some "Noguchi-inspired" wood/glass table. Like I rarely see actual Arcos, but I see a lot of cheap, similar designs.

The market for $2000 coffee tables is a lot smaller than $200 "inspired-by"s.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 6, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hate glass tables. I guess they're supposed to make the room feel lighter? But you're missing out on the visual appeal a nice stretch of negative space can be. But I also keep tables obsessively un-cluttered and a lot of people feel that dining table centerpieces and coffee-table bowl o'things are mandatory.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've seen the appeal to glass as it doesn't block line of sight and makes a room look less full, especially if you have a larger table. You lose the effect though if you just cram the top of the table full of poo poo as I've often seen.

In the case of the Noguchi or similar, the idea is that it shows off the carved base. I think its supposed to be more of a functional art piece.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a super simple glass coffee table because it was cheap. It's super easy to clean, its just a very simple black frame with a panel of glass on top, nowhere for dirt to hide.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I have a super simple glass coffee table because it was cheap. It's super easy to clean, its just a very simple black frame with a panel of glass on top, nowhere for dirt to hide.

But it sounds so uncomfy for putting your feet on.

Real talk, I analyze all potential furniture purchases on how well they'd stand up to the way I flop on furniture like a teenager.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a dull glass table story.

The dirt hides between the table top and the things it's bolted on to. I had an enormous glass 8 people dining table given to me, you needed 3 people to lift the top 6 inches off the ground, two people to drag it along the floor. It's really really weird eating with people and being able to see their bottom half through it. No sneaky farts for Grandad. Ended up being covered with a table cloth, not for protection or anything but because it took up most of the room and you couldn't store anything under it.

The day we moved house four of us flipped it onto it's side, removed the legs and got it outside. Then I called the council and paid them £15 in advance to take it away in the full knowlage that they wouldn't be expecting it to be so big, and that I wouldn't be around to help them drag it up a huge flight of steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hi thread, I own a Peggy sofa. I bought it two months or so before all the posts about it came out :suicide: