Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Double mutiny! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Clearly this whole arc has been building up to the Order dying/getting lost in the mountains and the plucky crew of the Mechane stepping up to save the world instead.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Calaveron posted:

I do not care about a single one of these people

Neither will the DM until they have a last name.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Shugojin posted:

Double mutiny! :argh:

Looks like they'll need two planks!

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
It's weird, because I don't really care about these characters but I totally DO care about the new NPCs in the Team Evil storyline. Is it because that storyline has fewer characters, so there's more space for them? Is it because they simultaneously serve to further develop the MitD's character and show its growth? Is it because they're just more novel and well-designed than the Mal Reynolds expy here? Maybe talking dogs are just inherently funny. Nod, get treat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's because heroic speeches about uniting together to fight to survive are delusions, and because the only great unifying truths are the cold shadow of death and treats.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It's weird, because I don't really care about these characters but I totally DO care about the new NPCs in the Team Evil storyline. Is it because that storyline has fewer characters, so there's more space for them? Is it because they simultaneously serve to further develop the MitD's character and show its growth? Is it because they're just more novel and well-designed than the Mal Reynolds expy here? Maybe talking dogs are just inherently funny. Nod, get treat.

Itss because the Team Evil NPCs will matter in the grand story, while these airship crewmembers are collateral damage for whatever the heroes are doing.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

For me it's because of the update schedule. If all this airship stuff had taken place over a month it would be fine, but seeing it stretch out for a year 10 months really makes it drag, and seem less enjoyable because it's pulling the story away from the "important" bits.

Also the interpersonal conflict between Redcloak and Xykon is way more compelling than what's going on with (Red) Bandanna and Andi. One has taken decades, both within the comic and in real time to develop, the other is two dozen strips long. Anything going on with Team Evil is going to be more interesting because of that dynamic.

Beyond that I just feel like the villain's actions will matter to the story in a way this mutiny won't. We know the impending apocalypse won't happen before the OotS to gets to the dwarf congress. The characters know this (even if only Elan and Tarquin would admit it) because it was flat out said that Dwarves are notorious sticklers for protocol and will take a long time to cast their vote. So whatever happens with mutiny, and Roy's lost sword, and repairing the damage to the ship, or even just hiking to the dwarf city, there's no rush. Ther OotS will get there in time, or it will turn out that them getting there wasn't that important after all. The Mechane stuff is just dragging that out.

The only purpose I can see this airship stuff having is as character development for Bandanna. While she's not a bad character, she's not especially interesting either. So seeing the limited amount of strips per month be used up for a mostly pointless diversion is kind of annoying too.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 2, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'd say at its core, it's because the airship crew area boring and kind of generic, while the new Team Evil NPCs are genuinely interesting as characters. There's other reasons that make it worse, but at the end of the day, if the crew were actually likable, there wouldn't be nearly as much complaining.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also because it feels like Burlew is going in way too hard trying to make us care for these characters and gives us no reason to while the russian wolf at least is funny and part of the infinitely more amusing bad guys team

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Calaveron posted:

Also because it feels like Burlew is going in way too hard trying to make us care for these characters and gives us no reason to while the russian wolf at least is funny and part of the infinitely more amusing bad guys team

All stories are ultimately pointless. Nod. Get comic.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

ikanreed posted:

All stories are ultimately pointless. Nod. Get comic.

Perfect avatar, my friend.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Calaveron posted:

I think the biggest problem is none of the airship drama impacts on the PCs, it's just background to 'airship in trouble.

I also think burlew got a bit rocked back on his heels by accusations he was using sexist stereotypes and an airship full of strong well developed female characters is partly a reaction?

it'll read fine in the books imo.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I like the airship subplot. :shrug:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pretty much everything in this comic reads terribly at the update pace and well as batches later on.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Shugojin posted:

Pretty much everything in this comic reads terribly at the update pace and well as batches later on.

Yeah I imagine not having the desert chapter take multiple years of nothing but sand palettes would make it a bit less grating.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I liked the desert arc I remember being literally on the edge of my seat.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

my dad posted:

Same

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

my dad posted:

Me too. I like stories where the protags aren't the absolute center of the universe. OotS especially, as it subverts how DnD games usually go.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I think the airship plot would be better if Andi wasn't objectively wrong. If any of her argument had any weight, it'd be more compelling, but she's just 100% wrong and being a poo poo, and that's hard to get invested in. It'll read better in book form because it's really only like 10 pages or so.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kruller posted:

I think the airship plot would be better if Andi wasn't objectively wrong. If any of her argument had any weight, it'd be more compelling, but she's just 100% wrong and being a poo poo, and that's hard to get invested in. It'll read better in book form because it's really only like 10 pages or so.

Yeah this. 'Antagonist is obviously 100% wrong, does stupid things, is incompetent...fails utterly??? what a twist!!' doesn't really make for compelling drama. A lot of the dialogue between Andi and Bandanna just fell flat for me too so I couldn't even enjoy it as witty/amusing banter.

Usually with pacing issues there's the expectation it'll read better when archive bingeing, but in this case I think it's still going to be like, okay, and now for this interlude with these characters we don't care about having all this drama? :???: The fact that the main characters of the story are not involved with any of this just removes so much of the interest.

There's also the points already brought up about how we know none of this will matter to the end of story conflict and pacing-wise it just feels weird to take a break from the building tension and race to save the world bits and have a time out for these other characters and their side adventure.

I don't object to the crew on general principle, and Burlew's weakest writing is better than the best that a lot of webcomic authors manage, but I'd rather see them doing all this in like, a side story instead of as a nearly year long interruption to the one we were already following.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 4, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My thinking is we'll appreciate it more after the fact.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Probably, but I'm looking forward to finding out why.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If you map the pacing curve of the main comic I just suspect that without the current content it'd be out of whack mainly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This mini-arc mostly seems to be filling the gap between "we need to hunt down Durkon" and "we have caught up to Durkon", possibly also separating Roy from his sword for that battle to add some tension. The mutiny makes it more interesting than just battling ice giants.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 4, 2017

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

The mutiny makes it more interesting

Hahaha

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Fighting ice giants sounds pretty boring. Better throw in some nameless humans bickering.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Kruller posted:

The thing is until this sequence she seemed pretty reasonable. Her boss let a vampire on board, and put the whole crew in danger over something they wanted no part in. Then three of them got cut in half, a mutiny's actually pretty understandable at that point.

But instead of all that, it's a personal vendetta, and now she's just a caricature and a punchline target.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TequilaJesus posted:

Fighting ice giants sounds pretty boring. Better throw in some nameless humans bickering.

You'd rather have fifty pages of "I rolled a 16, does that get past its AC"?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

The thing is until this sequence she seemed pretty reasonable. Her boss let a vampire on board, and put the whole crew in danger over something they wanted no part in. Then three of them got cut in half, a mutiny's actually pretty understandable at that point.

But instead of all that, it's a personal vendetta, and now she's just a caricature and a punchline target.

I kind of feel like it's the same thing that happened with Tarquin.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

You're right. That and this mutiny arc are the only two options.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, that does sound super boring. Rich sucks at writing fight scenes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You don't get to not want a part in stopping the actual-not-metaphorical end of the world. The good guys need a ride, they're gonna do their best to keep you safe, but knocking out the guy the captain put in command and flying blind is not way to deal with a stressful situation.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thank you, you summed my opinions on it up pretty good.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
When the stakes are literally the end of the world, you shove your dumbass squabbling aside. Who cares that a few of you got killed? If you fail ALL of you die, and so does everyone you've ever known. And of the dwarven population, so many of the still alive ones are going to have their souls go to Hel. Of course, they could just go to war and start killing eachother. I mean if you're going to die anyway you may as well die in the way that sends you to the afterlife that doesn't suck.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
This is why NPCs are wary around the players. Never know when they will just straight up conscript ya.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

World Famous W posted:

This is why NPCs are wary around the players. Never know when they will just straight up conscript ya.

If I could ever get my pcs to interact with npcs in a non stabby fashion it will be a miracle.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

reignofevil posted:

If I could ever get my pcs to interact with npcs in a non stabby fashion it will be a miracle.

Just wiping out the crew and taking the ship seems entirely reasonable here tbh.

Or, subduing them and setting them gently on the ground with some camping supplies I guess, if the characters are Good. Either way, they do not have time to deal with this poo poo.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zoe posted:

Just wiping out the crew and taking the ship seems entirely reasonable here tbh.

Or, subduing them and setting them gently on the ground with some camping supplies I guess, if the characters are Good. Either way, they do not have time to deal with this poo poo.

This assumes the Order knows how to operate and maintain the drat thing. Pretty sure this setting doesn't work like Final Fantasy where any random rear end in a top hat can just push a button to lift off and land on any clear patch of grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

reignofevil posted:

If their level is sane, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with actual law enforcement enforcing the law