Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

Yakuza's greatest strength is knowing it's dumb as gently caress but never lets that bleed into its player characters. Your dudes play everything straight even when it's a guy in his underwear gyrating in front of you.

See also: Zelda, Undertale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Yakuza's greatest strength is knowing it's dumb as gently caress but never lets that bleed into its player characters. Your dudes play everything straight even when it's a guy in his underwear gyrating in front of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjrsqyWv0M

They play everything straight.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

Sometimes they want to do this but can't get permission, like how the Chicago park sculpture appeared in Watchdogs as glowing blue donut instead of a reflective blob.

Are we sure that's not just a practical hack to avoid having to render real-time reflections? :v:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Your dudes play everything straight even when it's a guy in his underwear gyrating in front of you.

Why wouldn't they? That just sounds like any random salaryman after work

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why would they need permission to do that? It's a public structure. How is it any different than copying the John Hancock building or the Statue of Liberty? Is it because it's art?

I guess so, that was the reason they gave. Whoever made it must still have some IP rights.

repiv posted:

Are we sure that's not just a practical hack to avoid having to render real-time reflections? :v:

:v:

Would explain the new material but it's also a noticeably different shape from the real one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

I guess so, that was the reason they gave. Whoever made it must still have some IP rights.

He does indeed and was notoriously pissed everyone called it The Bean.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why would they need permission to do that? It's a public structure. How is it any different than copying the John Hancock building or the Statue of Liberty? Is it because it's art?

Intellectual property is already a mess in America but it gets even worse when you enter the art world. You have public landmarks that aren't allowed to be used or sports games that are sued by the artists who designed the tattoos worn by athletes but then you also have Tarsem Singh and Bryan Fuller lifting installation art more or less entirelty for their movies and TV shows or how for a few years every movie poster and TV intro was copying that one dude's dioramas or the exact text overlay from the The Social Network movie poster.

Best case scenario you get something like season 2 of True Detective where they actually went to the trouble of paying to license :nws:a video sculpture for one of their crime tableaux:nws: but most of the time it's nowhere near that cut and dry and you have to settle for hoping they give the original artist a shout-out and both sides accepting that creation is a constant synthesis of existing ideas.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

You can't use someone else's IP for commercial purposes without them agreeing to it. The city might have paid to have the work publicly displayed but that doesn't extend usage rights to any other entity, especially not for profit.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Somfin posted:

But the characters sell the "this will make me feel better" angle so strongly that I want to help them almost for its own sake.

Any game that does this well basically has me on a string, and I am totally okay with that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

You can't use someone else's IP for commercial purposes without them agreeing to it. The city might have paid to have the work publicly displayed but that doesn't extend usage rights to any other entity, especially not for profit.

This is also why true recreations of most sports stadiums don't appear outside of the actual sport franchises.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well I just finished the first silent hill game (tried doing it all myself and only looked up a few tips on completing puzzles) I got the bad ending+ and I still liked it, mad game but the ending credits made it better, especially dahlia kissing the camera : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFxMviounH8

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In Doom 2016 I just picked up the Gauss Cannon. I quickly tab where I in the blurb read the only detriment of the weapon is that it has quite the kick which the user has to compensate for. Then some enemies spawn in front of me, I jump over a chasm to get at them and fire a shot. Que my surprise as the weapon does exactly what the game told me it would do as I lose all momentum and fall to my death. :lol:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Well I just finished the first silent hill game (tried doing it all myself and only looked up a few tips on completing puzzles) I got the bad ending+ and I still liked it, mad game but the ending credits made it better, especially dahlia kissing the camera : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFxMviounH8

Bill Pullman would have been the perfect Harry Mason.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I just started playing AssCreed Syndicate and I appreciate that it completely forgoes the idea I would ever want to parkour and just straight-up gives me a Batman combination grappling gun + line launcher.

Also I get to hang out in my steampunk locomotive base of operations just like cinema hero Jim West, desperado, rough rider.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just got into Yakuza 0 after watching some LPs. I spent an entire night going to karaoke, destroying the claw machine and topping my high score in1980s arcade racing games. Not once did I feel like i was wasting my time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Saint Freak posted:

I just started playing AssCreed Syndicate and I appreciate that it completely forgoes the idea I would ever want to parkour and just straight-up gives me a Batman combination grappling gun + line launcher.

Also I get to hang out in my steampunk locomotive base of operations just like cinema hero Jim West, desperado, rough rider.

Is that the london one? The london one was actually good, right? They release too many now and I've completely lost track since they stopped using numbers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MiddleOne posted:

Chicago's actually got a lot of this, which Watch_Dogs unintentionally showcases. They could get the rights to recreate basically no iconic Chicago buildings, but they knew everybody would be looking for them, so the entire city's filled with lawyer-friendly knockoffs of all the Chicago landmarks you actually wanted to see.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ilmucche posted:

Is that the london one? The london one was actually good, right? They release too many now and I've completely lost track since they stopped using numbers.

Yeah syndicate was solid. Which was welcome after the trainwreck that was unity. The French revolution was so ripe for this series but they really fumbled.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

ilmucche posted:

Yeah I'm 75% of the way through it right now. It has zero modern day bits (so far at least) and the reconstruction of London is remarkable.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah I'm 75% of the way through it right now. It has zero modern day bits (so far at least) and the reconstruction of London is remarkable.

Sweet, I'll wait for it to go on sale then. Can't justify that price right now...

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Sweet, I'll wait for it to go on sale then. Can't justify that price right now...

I've seen it for something like 12 dollars at Gamestop. I absolutely hate assassins creed games but at that price it's tempting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

2B has a pretty pink bow

I assume because Yoko Taro did this the entire happy machine village gets slaughtered at some point though

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In American Wasteland I'm very glad for the ability to hop off the board, as I'm very bad at flatland stuff so it's nice to be able to quickly hop across the tarmac to reach another tricking object. It's how I've got most of my high-scores at the ranch so far, although I'll probably have to get actually good eventually.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

In American Wasteland I'm very glad for the ability to hop off the board, as I'm very bad at flatland stuff so it's nice to be able to quickly hop across the tarmac to reach another tricking object. It's how I've got most of my high-scores at the ranch so far, although I'll probably have to get actually good eventually.

Bio, I never want you to stop playing old bad games.
You're a treasure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally got past a few of the missions in TH:AW that I got stuck on! Scaring the birds after riding/lip-tricking the Ferris wheel was very hard, but I like that some of the skate ranch pieces not only make the ranch more interesting a closer to the girls Sketch, but they make the world more skateable as well, like not only do you get the 8-ball on the gas station, the ball crushes the roof giving an easy way to skate up there again and trashes the concrete in the yard across the road making a pair of pools that you can grind and transfer in. The stairs from Santa Monica do something similar, after collapsing they form a ramp and kicker combo piece. It makes the world more fun to navigate while making the Skate Ranch more and more impressive and I always like that kind of environmental poetry in this kind of game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tell us more about the environmental poetry of Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.

(I love BioEnchanted)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, Overwrought phrasing - I meant that every time you take from one place it adds to another but in a way that makes both of them better. The negative space left over becomes a new object in it's own right.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Is there a Bioenchanted Plays thread because there should be

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Len posted:

2B has a pretty pink bow

I assume because Yoko Taro did this the entire happy machine village gets slaughtered at some point though

There's also a blue bow you can get too. And yeah, I do not have high hopes for the fate of the robot village.
Something I like about automata, is that it's pretty much like how I think Nier would have turned out if people and shades could talk.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Is there a Bioenchanted Plays thread because there should be

I mean, he has at least one LP going :shrug:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I mean, he has at least one LP going :shrug:

But that's a new game, I wanna see BioEnchanted discover the joy and mystery of like Monster Rancher 2

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pastry of the Year posted:

But that's a new game, I wanna see BioEnchanted discover the joy and mystery of like Monster Rancher 2

Look man. Monster Rancher 2 is an old game but not a bad name and I will fight you for suggesting that.

Tecmo or whatever remains of your pieces just give me an HD port of MR2.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pastry of the Year posted:

Monster Rancher 2 is a deep rabbit hole and you start with a dog everyone around you insists on calling a Tiger. Then like, ten hours later you're slowly working some piece of poo poo dinosaur to death so it can die and you can piss on its grave so you can enslave its ghost and work its ghost to death out of spite.

So Super Robot Wars: V is pretty cool and it does something I really like. There are special requirements in each stage that get you bonus money if you fulfill them. Usually it's just poo poo like killing a certain number of dudes in a few turns, or killing a dude with a specific character. So the game actually lets you know if support attacks count or not, because it's somewhat inconsistent on that front, and whether or not the enemy flees before it's health completely empties if it's a plot character that flees and it wants you to kill them.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MR2 and MR3 were my jam back in the day.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Len posted:

Look man. Monster Rancher 2 is an old game but not a bad name and I will fight you for suggesting that.

No way, I love that game, and one of my greatest pleasures has been seeing people with absolutely no idea what they're in for, but are still willing to give it a fair shot, get sucked into it and plumb its weird and convoluted and rewarding depths.

I think that was pretty much the only game I played in 1999 other than Super Mario All-Stars.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Monster Rancher's Unlock Ya Disc > Pokerap

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I keep hoping someone who has skills at game design puts the love and care into a monster rancher clone like the Stardew Valley guy did Stardew Valley

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"His goal is to become the world's best chef, so every day he is busy studying. But the truth is that his own body is the most delicious thing."

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Len posted:

I keep hoping someone who has skills at game design puts the love and care into a monster rancher clone like the Stardew Valley guy did Stardew Valley

This but for Chao Garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Nuebot posted:

Monster Rancher 2 is a deep rabbit hole and you start with a dog everyone around you insists on calling a Tiger. Then like, ten hours later you're slowly working some piece of poo poo dinosaur to death so it can die and you can piss on its grave so you can enslave its ghost and work its ghost to death out of spite.

I've never played this series. How literal is this description and why?