Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Also the TIM thing is a stealth way of forcing you to void your warranty and also saves intel a few bucks since soldering dies is quite complex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Malcolm XML posted:

Also the TIM thing is a stealth way of forcing you to void your warranty and also saves intel a few bucks since soldering dies is quite complex

It's still inexcusable on a $600+ part. Unless coffee lake is amazeballs I'm going with the next version of Zen.

eames
May 9, 2009

sincx posted:

And apparent RAID 1/10 is $99 and RAID 5 is $199 or $299.

And if there's any non-Intel NVME drive in the array it doesn't allow you to boot off the array. :lol:

Also none of the HEDT CPUs support QuickSync because that would be handled by the non-existant iGPU part. Not that you'd want to use QuickSync with 8+ cores available but still interesting to know.

eames fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 4, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How hard it can be to use good thermal paste? I've used the same 3 gram tube of Arctic Silver 3 since the dawn of time, and temps are the same after all the years. Arctic Silver 5 is under $10 and you can use it for many, many CPU's. So what is the issue with the lovely pastes?!

eames
May 9, 2009

"lovely paste" has upsides for Intel. Saves a bit of money, introduces planned obsolescence through TIM degradation and forces overclockers to void warranties. Win-win-win for Intel.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I can't believe Raid Keys are going to be a thing for the X299. I understand if raid keys were a thing for an enterprise demographic, but for consumers/prosumers?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
At this point, I'll probably just get a Threadripper out of principle, even though the lower IPC bugs me. That bitching video from Linus Tech Tips pretty much condenses all issues with Intel for this release.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
There is practically no reason to use Intel raid on a consumer (or enterprise) board. NVMe is so fast there is not any benefit to RAID other than headaches. I've had trouble with Intel RAID on servers too, so I don't use it unless I have to.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Did Intel just ignore soft raid and zfs or something

Who runs raid on a desktop anyway?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you haven't figured it out, it's mostly a bunch of AMD people trumpeting a perceived disadvantage of Intel to push AMD products as an alternative. Much like the whole "Intel hates overclockers!" thing a few weeks ago.

Nobody actually uses Intel Raid on a desktop system, there is no reason a consumer needs dozens of terabytes of direct-attached bootable RAID storage and if you do then ponying up $100 for the RAID key is not going to be a big deal. Just use LVM or ZFS like a regular autist.

The TIM is a much bigger deal actually.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you haven't figured it out, it's mostly a bunch of AMD people trumpeting a perceived disadvantage of Intel to push AMD products as an alternative. Much like the whole "Intel hates overclockers!" thing a few weeks ago.

Nobody actually uses Intel Raid on a desktop system, there is no reason a consumer needs dozens of terabytes of direct-attached bootable RAID storage and if you do then ponying up $100 for the RAID key is not going to be a big deal. Just use LVM or ZFS like a regular autist.

People want even more speed in their raid nvme drives we must reach near ddr speeds in our hardrives.

eames
May 9, 2009

The USP of Intel VROC is that it bypasses the chipset, goes directly into the CPU and is bootable.
Asus demoed 13 Gigabytes per second with eight drives but the theoretical maximum is 128 Gigabyte per second (PCIe 3.0 x16). Anything running off the chipset would be bottlenecked by DMI (PCIe 3.0 x4).

As for who would need that much bandwidth on a platform that appears to be marketed strictly to gamers, no idea. Gotta keep those loading boot and loading screens short. :v:

e: actually Linus is the kind of guy that would run a production server off eight SSDs in RAID 0, perhaps that's why he made the video

eames fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 4, 2017

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
So basically people that don't think they need a professional setup and actually should but think "that's for corporate techies, not me." Sounds like a lot of the market given they probably have more money than sense and constantly are upgrading stuff and acting as beta testers effectively.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

The USP of Intel VROC is that it bypasses the chipset, goes directly into the CPU and is bootable.
Asus demoed 13 Gigabytes per second with eight drives but the theoretical maximum is 128 Gigabyte per second (PCIe 3.0 x16). Anything running off the chipset would be bottlenecked by DMI (PCIe 3.0 x4).

As for who would need that much bandwidth on a platform that appears to be marketed strictly to gamers, no idea. Gotta keep those loading boot and loading screens short. :v:

e: actually Linus is the kind of guy that would run a production server off eight SSDs in RAID 0, perhaps that's why he made the video

I mean, apart from the "Intel RAID" part, what would stop you from putting 4 NVMe cards on a sled and just using it as 4 NVMe drives that then use soft-RAID or ZFS? It wouldn't be bootable, but it should come up once you're into the OS, right?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Its a user hostile development that's also completely useless to gamers and most workstation users

Par for the modern Intel course

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

It's for taking that $100 per workstation perc hw raid controller out of dell's pocket when an enterprise desktop it manager buys five hundred new overspecced desktops.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

most of that poo poo is bottlenecked by single-thread decompression and the assumption things will be read from platter drives at 50mb/sec

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, apart from the "Intel RAID" part, what would stop you from putting 4 NVMe cards on a sled and just using it as 4 NVMe drives that then use soft-RAID or ZFS? It wouldn't be bootable, but it should come up once you're into the OS, right?

Nothing and yes unless they wilfully implemented a regression, that's possible with any system that supports PCIe Gen 3.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

It's for taking that $100 per workstation perc hw raid controller out of dell's pocket when an enterprise desktop it manager buys five hundred new overspecced desktops.

Who buys raid in a workstation these days?

Most purchasers are buying SSDs and those are still too expensive to raid

E: with a storage hdd i guess

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There is also the intel Volume Management Device (VMD) stuff which supports setting up volumes using pcie in the bios, not sure if they support various RAID flavours or if there is some overlap with this VROC stuff. It's more of an enterprise thing too I think.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I honestly don't understand why Intel doesn't sell an "XE" chip with a bare die, save for the fact that every cooler maker might have to retool their AIOs or HSFs (or mail/sell adapters) to compensate for the loss of the thickness of the IHS.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I honestly don't understand why Intel doesn't sell an "XE" chip with a bare die, save for the fact that every cooler maker might have to retool their AIOs or HSFs (or mail/sell adapters) to compensate for the loss of the thickness of the IHS.

Bare dies are more delicate, GPU makers can get away with it because there is a cooler on top and they can hold the consumer responsible if the chip gets damaged, CPU makers not so much.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How delicate things are depends on the cooler. Air coolers for OC are pretty heavy and towering, they create interesting forces on the die, given that it's quasi levering from the top two screws. Watercooling should be more on the foolproof side.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Bare dies are more delicate,
Ship it with a shim glued in place or something. A few idiots will still manage to crack the die but by and large it'd probably work just fine I bet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Ship it with a shim glued in place or something. A few idiots will still manage to crack the die but by and large it'd probably work just fine I bet.

I think the rate of breakage would be higher than you think, and when they break Intel has to replace them because they shipped them that way, it's just a headache they don't want to deal with. If you want a delided CPU do it yourself, that is part of the risk inherent in running hardware outside of spec.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Didn't AMD ship bare CPUs back in the day? Plus, being Intel, I'm sure they'd manage to throw some legalese on there where they are not responsible for any physical damage to the chip, they recommend it be installed by a certified professional, etc. I agree it'd still be a bit of a headache, but with a decent shim setup it shouldn't be too bad.

That said, the fact remains that Intel simply doesn't care enough to bother catering to what would be a pretty small demographic.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I read that as "AMD ship bare back CPUs". That's one hot processor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DrDork posted:

Didn't AMD ship bare CPUs back in the day?

Yeah, and it was easy to break them. They started including little rubber pads in the corners in an attempt to make sure you put the HSF on level.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

redeyes posted:

I read that as "AMD ship bare back CPUs". That's one hot processor.

POS my chip hole

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

POS my chip hole

Hot chip mounting POV video.mpg

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

These days delidding is a pretty simple and foolproof procedure anyway as long as you get a proper kit made for your particular CPU, and don't try to eyeball it with a razerblade. Of course, your warranty is toast, but if you know what you're doing with the repaste (like if you want to use LM you need to tape off the PCB etc.) then it's not really a massive deal.

Honestly, the biggest problem of it for me is :effort:

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, and it was easy to break them. They started including little rubber pads in the corners in an attempt to make sure you put the HSF on level.
This is true. I don't think they covered it under warranty if you broke it though? Pretty sure it was just considered user error. Hardware warranties never cover customer induced physical damage. Like if you bend a pin in your LGA socket and try to get warranty, board manufacturers are just going to offer to repair it for a fee. It may be a fragile thing but still the bottom line is you broke it.

Even if they're not going to cover it under warranty though, I can see why intel would rather just avoid opening that can of worms. Surely some people would try and make them out to be the bad guy for not covering it when people inevitably break them.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Col.Kiwi posted:

This is true. I don't think they covered it under warranty if you broke it though? Pretty sure it was just considered user error. Hardware warranties never cover customer induced physical damage. Like if you bend a pin in your LGA socket and try to get warranty, board manufacturers are just going to offer to repair it for a fee. It may be a fragile thing but still the bottom line is you broke it.

Even if they're not going to cover it under warranty though, I can see why intel would rather just avoid opening that can of worms. Surely some people would try and make them out to be the bad guy for not covering it when people inevitably break them.

IIRC, Intel's warranty used to cover just about anything including user damage, but they changed it a few years back when delidding started becoming really popular.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Honestly, the biggest problem of it for me is :effort:
For me it's the effort required in future. Like watching temps and then eventually repasting things. At least that was implied necessary at some point.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

For me it's the effort required in future. Like watching temps and then eventually repasting things. At least that was implied necessary at some point.

If you use good paste it'll last pretty much forever. And there've been more than one case of lovely factory TIM basically failing after a few years, requiring a repaste anyhow.

Soldered chips have largely been immune from this issue, but it seems reasonable to assume that any Intel chip with stock TIM will need to be "fixed" at some point in the future.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Platfrom

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
TIM unlock $99

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Wasn't the real problem the thickness of the glue they used causing the heat spreader to be lifted from the die a tiny amount, and that the actual TIM was fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

TIM unlock $99

Silicon Lottery charges $49, plus shipping. :v: