Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I only sell games for which I had the utmost contempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Help Im Alive posted:

Each game you sell adds another 1000 years of your soul being tortured in hell

idk mayne i've been doing this thing where I re-assess my possessions every 6 months and toss/sell things I don't need

It's pretty awesome, emotional attachments to possessions is overrated

plus if someone breaks into my apt and steals my stuff, it's like less than 1.5k worth of possessions atm so whatever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

This. The only game I've ever sold to gamestop was the Vita Assassin's Creed game that came with the console bundle

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Help Im Alive posted:

Each game you sell is another 1000 years of your soul being tortured in hell

I'm already in hell, readin ur posts

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I registered as an Amazon seller and I can list things by scanning the barcode with my phone and typing in the info and then Amazon gives me labels to print when it sells and I just put it in a flat rate USPS box and put the tracking number into the app and it's done pretty easy and you can sell other stuff too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regy Rusty posted:

I only sell games that are worth a bunch of money

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Yeah but you get a sliver of their value, when you adjust for effort vs payoff, ebay get you much much more for a little tiny bit more work.

I guess I'm used to selling stuff online but I think it's really easy to whip up a post, forget about it til monies come in, and ship something out while running other errands.

eBay also charges 10% off the top, then there's PayPal fees (which if you don't offer PayPal then nobody will buy from you), the cost of packaging and shipping (which you can make a separate charge for but you're less likely to sell if it's not "free" shipping), the time it takes to list however many games you're selling which with all these fees makes it less profitable to ship anything less than like $20 cost, etc.

Granted when I dump stuff off it's not at GameStop, but still.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well, I have sold hardware in the past when upgrading it. Like GBA->SP, 3DS->N3DS etc

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
selling old hardware to subsidize new hardware is my favorite

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm contemplating selling my Wii U, but I still like to break out Game & Wario for pictionary

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's the thing though, I don't think I can sell the systems that I have digital libraries built up for, unless they're being supported by the system that came afterwards or the system itself had an upgrade.

I'll be stuck with my PS3 for quite a while.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

I'm contemplating selling my Wii U, but I still like to break out Game & Wario for pictionary

if you sell it you will regret it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
i'm sure it varies for everyone but I find myself less and less likely to go back to retread old games as I get older

aside from glorious emulators, if I'm feeling nostalgic for an experience these days, I find that youtube videos tend to scratch the itch

holding onto hardware is just too clunky and cumbersome, but also I move roughly every year which is why I hate clutter

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I have a pile of old games and systems and dumb peripherals and poo poo that I sleep on at night like a dragon so I unfortunately cannot sell my old hardware/games

I still very rarely find myself re-playing old games these days I guess though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like having hardware for playing older games i havent touched before. Like I still somewhat regularly play PS1/2 games on my PS2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I never go back to to old consoles to play old games. I might do it on an emulator at some point though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I still very rarely find myself re-playing old games these days I guess though

Exactly! I went through a collector phase, a retro emulator nerd phase, and a few others before realizing that the purpose of these hobbies was apparently to spend money and/or tweak stuff because I just never actually sat down to play anything for more than a few minutes

Andrast posted:

I never go back to to old consoles to play old games. I might do it on an emulator at some point though.

Emulators are great for an occasional retro night with friends where you rapid fire switch between games for fun. I did this with gbc a few months ago and it was a blast, but any more focused or dedicated gameplay? I never feel up for it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Amazon has been doing their own trade-in thing for a while, too. I don't know if it's more or less predatory than GameStop, though.

I have purchased about 1000 dollars of games for only 300 dollars cost this year using amazon trade in. (Ive been keeping a running tally since january to test out if its worth it)

It would have been even lower if i didnt buy so many digital games and had more to sell back. With prime on top its a real decent deal if you arent a collector or game replayer. Im kinda a little nuts about ditching clutter and only hang onto a few really special games

Gamefly is probably better if you're trying to save money for real though. But you only get so many games at a time with them.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 5, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
... I still have an old CRT TV hooked up in a corner for all the old consoles that I think look better on it. It's probably kinda a waste of space

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

... I still have an old CRT TV hooked up in a corner for all the old consoles that I think look better on it. It's probably kinda a waste of space

Cheaper than a frame meister

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
ha my old roommate had one and it was a loving eyesore with a surprisingly small screen despite its heft, but he loved it, he got one of the professional ones TV stations used to use back in the day, I have to admit it had the sharpest colors of any CRT i have ever seen

also I am getting an itch to build a little emulator machine with raspberry pi or something, I saw a great little console with a 3 inch screen and a wooden body that someone made on youtube

probably beyond my current abilities tho and once it is done, I bet i'd just play my 3ds instead

they're super slick though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
whenever I have access to a basement I will likely try building an emulator cabinet

ooohhhhh or one of those cocktail table machines?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

Cheaper than a frame meister
At a certain point the extra space saved outweighs the cost IMO.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

corn in the bible posted:

you don't know anything about food lmao

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I have a box of XBox 360 games that I know I'll never touch again. There were some neat exclusives but nothing I want to go through the trouble of dealing with the console again for. I've thought about ways to sell them but at this point I'd probably sell the lot for $30 to someone who was motivated enough to be a serious online seller.

Then again, I have a copy of Gotcha Force in box with the manual on my shelf that I'm hoping will become my kid's college fund, so maybe I should take the time and price what I've got before purging.

e: Whoops, that's not the price I remember. Still, $100 would be nice in a pinch.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 5, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I want to divest myself of physical media but I am just adding more. Just bought the disc version of Injustice 2 after renting it.

I still have the first one on disc and any place that would take it would not give enough for the effort of selling it off

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have basically no sentimental connection to the DC universe but Injustice 2 is pretty all right. The main campaign is patently ridiculous and mostly just a bunch of contrived scenarios to get superheroes to beat each other up, which is about what you'd expect for an NRS game. But apparently fans of the comics like the story, so it's probably just par for the course as far as comic book plots go. Who knows. The multiverse is a natural evolution of all the MKX towers and definitely the strongest aspect to the game here. You can spend hours doing all the scenarios and playing pretty pretty princess with your favorite superheroes without ever getting your ego bruised online. They manage to make some characters memorable and funny even if you had no idea they even existed, like what they did with Black Canary + Green Arrow, and all their little pre-match and clash callouts are cool. It's a fun game that also sometimes succeeds at being a good technical fighter. Now is definitely the time to jump in early, while everyone is still horrible and half the people you play against have no answer for dirty teleport spam.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

But apparently fans of the comics like the story, so it's probably just par for the course as far as comic book plots go.

They do? Who's been saying that?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Almost all the youtube reviewers I've seen of Injustice 2 said they liked the story mode. It's all pretty ridiculous to me and I just kind of tuned out since I don't even recognize half the cast, but it's whatever. A bunch of superheroes are gonna beat each other up, how complex can it really ever get.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The tie-in comic for the Injustice games is unbelievably good. It was supposed to be 6 issues long but got turned into an ongoing due to unexpected financial and critical success. But neither game's actual story is very good at all outside of a few moments and I'm shocked that anyone is praising them. I mean I guess by fighting game standards it's good, because loving look at any given bad Capcom fighter's awful story, but man. That's a low bar to clear.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fighting games outside of blazblue didn't have story modes until like MK9 sold a billion copies

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
anime is pretty dumb, but western super heroes are downright idiotic and i judge the hell out of grown rear end adults who are openly *into* superheroes and actually think they are cool as hell vs campy or goofy action

thats my hot take!!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I want to follow rumors about soul edge again

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I was moved to tears by the story of Labrys actually

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The finest fighting game story ever told is the Mortal Kombat movie

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

KingSlime posted:

anime is pretty dumb, but western super heroes are downright idiotic and i judge the hell out of grown rear end adults who are openly *into* superheroes and actually think they are cool as hell vs campy or goofy action

thats my hot take!!!

The actress who plays Wonder woman is hot

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah that is an undeniable truth

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

The actress who plays Wonder woman is hot

Lynda Carter :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

The finest fighting game story ever told is the Mortal Kombat movie

many people regard Annihilation as the bad one but it has this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmp4R8FuCgc

so it's actually better than 99% of all movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Almost all the youtube reviewers I've seen of Injustice 2 said they liked the story mode. It's all pretty ridiculous to me and I just kind of tuned out since I don't even recognize half the cast, but it's whatever. A bunch of superheroes are gonna beat each other up, how complex can it really ever get.

I don't really care about the Injustice story mode as a story, it just happens to be a more structured way to introduce a bunch of the cast while still being relatively entertaining. With the first Injustice I basically went through each chapter, saw what character it was going to be, then did their STAR Labs missions and an arcade run before going back to the story.

I actually thought the STAR Labs missions were better for that, actually. They had some dumb minigame ones but also some good challenges that were tailored to each character -- using projectiles for zoning characters, practicing parries, stringing together combos, etc. I wish Injustice 2 had custom towers for each character, you get them randomly in Multiverse but the challenges are more generic.

SoulCalibur's Edge Master Mode is still the gold standard of single-player fighting game modes though

• Locked thread