Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina is very bad and Chad Holbrook needs to be very fired, but he's safe because he's Ray's handpicked successor and we somehow managed to make a super regional last season. Hopefully I only have to watch one more year of him repeatedly slamming a Ferrari into a brick wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is, indeed, some loving bullshit.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

elentar posted:

UNC has probably been the best in the ACC all year, and the tournament sets up decently for them, in particular because Louisville just lost a series at home to FSU. State has been playing a lot better though, they're not the team that got swept by BC earlier this year (though it wouldn't shock me if they lost a fourth game to them this week).

And in fact the ACCT has fallen freakishly well for the Tar Heels, who will be the only top seed left in the semis after Louisville, Wake, Clemson (and Virginia, for that matter) were all knocked out. A resurgent FSU is probably their only competition at this point, although Miami is desperate enough.

Yet again also I learn never ever to say anything good about NC State under any circumstances; they struggled through BC and then immediately in tonight's game went down 10-0 to UNC, including a dropped popup that could have limited the damage to 2-0. Jesus Christ I really don't know why I keep wasting any amount of time on this team, program, or school.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

This is, indeed, some loving bullshit.

I can't remember the last time I saw that call made at any level, and that wasn't a good example of it either

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NCAA tournament starts Friday. Well, actually Thursday for the rogue Stanford regional, but Friday mostly.

Here's the bracket.

D1Baseball has a stripped-down bracket challenge.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I hate that Nebraska landed in OSU's regional. They were so good when I saw them play in AZ earlier this year. :ohdear:

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Glad we didn't get stuck with BYU, which would have forced a Thursday start. I'm curious to see how our #3 guy, Jake Thompson (12-0, 1.31 ERA), bounces back in his start, he didn’t pitch well at all last week against "Abilene Christian". Sounds like he might get the start on Friday vs Holy Cross.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

UNC, behind likely high first-rounder JB Bukauskas, loses to Davidson 8-4. Obviously they'll still run the table from here and make Omaha, but nice while it lasts.

The other 1 seed to lose so far is also ACC: Florida State, to Tennessee Tech.

edit: Iowa made it 3 on the day, beating Houston. Also Stanford lost to Fullerton but that was day 2 of the BYU-blessed regional.

Two 1 vs 2 elimination games first thing tomorrow: FSU-UCF at noon, Houston-Baylor at 3.

elentar fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 3, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Michigan's starting pitcher just let UNC off the hook, with 2 hit batters, 2 walks and a single to give up 3. Will be hard for Michigan to come back from that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why is WatchESPN such a piece of loving poo poo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn advances to the finals in Tallahassee as a #3 burning their two aces already, hope this works out...

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Houston's field is weird

e: Aggies win!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nebraska's postseason sucked once again. So much for being worried about OSU.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Today UNC will poo poo on fun by beating Florida Gulf Coast and then Davidson before beating Davidson again in the final tomorrow.

NC State will complete a counteracting collapse by losing to the Kentucky-Indiana winner tonight, and again tomorrow.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Hahaha, UNC has just gone 0-2 against Davidson and crashed out of just about the cushiest regional imaginable.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just got word that my dad is yelling about the umpire in the Dirtbags/Longhorns game. Upon further review, it was a bad call.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn comes back from four runs down to take a lead in the top of the ninth, lets FSU tie it in the bottom, then gives up a walkoff bases-loaded HBP in the 11th to force a deciding game tomorrow.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Aggies kind of got hosed out of their winners' advantage by the weather, game 6 (and 7 if necessary) against Houston pushed to tomorrow.

Should have made Houston turn around and play game 6 at 1:50 AM

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

General Dog posted:

Aggies kind of got hosed out of their winners' advantage by the weather, game 6 (and 7 if necessary) against Houston pushed to tomorrow.

Should have made Houston turn around and play game 6 at 1:50 AM

that's nonsense what kind of insane hellfucker would play baseball at one in the goddamned morni

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
update: arkansas is losing 7-6 due to a shitload of errors likely on account of PLAYING BASEBALL AT TWO IN THE loving MORNING

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Craig K posted:

update: arkansas is losing 7-6 due to a shitload of errors likely on account of PLAYING BASEBALL AT TWO IN THE loving MORNING

Who makes the decision on whether to play? I would have assumed it was the home team but I guess the away team could complain about extending their trip or whatever.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
update: the razorbacks hit a 2 run homer to put the razorbacks up 11-8 at three in the loving morning! just like the old gypsy woman said!

Craig K fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 5, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Gotta admit I was hoping for extra innings when it was tied at 7.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Grittybeard posted:

Gotta admit I was hoping for extra innings when it was tied at 7.

POSSIBLE IMPENDING GOOD NEWS ON THAT FRONT

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
and people say baseball games have too much downtime in them

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

What a game. And they do it all over again at 6 local time tomorrow (er, today).

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I forgot that this thread would be up, which kind of sucks for me, but the regionals so far have been insane. I'm hoping we'll see some cool and good games today to round it out!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Aggies back into the tournament as a 3 seed, fall rear end backwards into hosting the Super Regional against Davidson lol

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Sam Houston State takes out Texas Tech, so that's national seeds 2, 5, and 8 gone before Supers.

Florida was getting a hell of a game from Bethune-Cookman too, but one BC error kept an inning going long enough for a Gator 3-run homer, might be too much to expect a comeback there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Sam Houston State takes out Texas Tech, so that's national seeds 2, 5, and 8 gone before Supers.
How do they decide home field if 3-seed Auburn takes out FSU tonight? I think that's the super regional they're paired with.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

How do they decide home field if 3-seed Auburn takes out FSU tonight? I think that's the super regional they're paired with.

Both teams put bids in to the NCAA and whoever has the more suitable facility gets it. I can't imagine that wouldn't be Auburn, but I was 4 or 5 years old the last time I was at a game on the Plains.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Both teams put bids in to the NCAA and whoever has the more suitable facility gets it. I can't imagine that wouldn't be Auburn, but I was 4 or 5 years old the last time I was at a game on the Plains.
That's really weird. I assumed you'd go through seed within your regional/whoever knocked off the higher national seed in some order but I guess there might be legit concerns for hosting a relatively big-time postseason event at some of the smallest schools?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Baseball seeding in general is really weird in college and could use a few updates.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

can we post about college softball in this thread?

because Gm 1 of the WCWS is in the 17th inning. also both pitchers are still throwing gas.

e: it just may end in the 17th, because Oklahoma just hit a 3-run dinger in the top half

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 6, 2017

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

can we post about college softball in this thread?

because Gm 1 of the WCWS is in the 17th inning. also both pitchers are still throwing gas.

e: it just may end in the 17th, because Oklahoma just hit a 3-run dinger in the top half

Im staying up late to watch a drat softball game this is the most surprising event of 2017 so far honestly.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Quandary posted:

Im staying up late to watch a drat softball game this is the most surprising event of 2017 so far honestly.

i used to call college softball games when i was at Mizzou (they made the WCWS a couple years when I was there, and at that time the Big XII was REALLY good so every game was a war). it's a really underrated sport.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Softball loving owns. I had a blast watching Auburn's run to the final game of WCWS last year. Seriously if you're got any rooting interest in a program that has a conference network that will put them on TV, get into softball. Only 7 innings, moves fast, big yellow ball, they got the dimensions of the field right so it's not like women's basketball where they just can't do the things you watch the sport for -- they sock dingers, make cool plays in the field. Lots of dramatic plays at the plate for some reason.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Just be aware that they Never. Stop. loving. Chanting. From start to finish. I guarandamntee you they chanted for all 17 loving innings and could chant for another 17 more.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

i used to call college softball games when i was at Mizzou (they made the WCWS a couple years when I was there, and at that time the Big XII was REALLY good so every game was a war). it's a really underrated sport.

Yeah, OU is consistently good enough that it was fun in college. It's nice to be able to win a Natty in something.

Two down one to go so close...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Quandary posted:

Yeah, OU is consistently good enough that it was fun in college. It's nice to be able to win a Natty in something.

Two down one to go so close...

Chelsea Thomas vs Keilani Ricketts was fun both to watch and to comment on. miss those days. (also, congrats on the win)

• Locked thread