Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Scaramouche posted:

When I'm that low I just bung ground coffee, jeez have some standards man

I know. I was at work and it's all they had. I am a terrible person.

To continue my bad coffee choices, I'm drinking United Airlines coffee right now. Significantly better than Keurig, slightly reminiscent of McDonald's coffee (which I don't think is bad at all).

I'm on vacation to rural Michigan so coffee choices are going to be thin for a while. Maybe I'll find a Tim Horton's while I'm there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm on vacation to rural Michigan so coffee choices are going to be thin for a while. Maybe I'll find a Tim Horton's while I'm there.

The number of choices might be thin, but don't give up hope. There is at least decent coffee all over the place these days, just gotta know how to search and find it. Hell, Kickapoo Coffee can hold their own nationwide on their bean selection and roasting, and they're located in the middle of no where Wisconsin in a town of 4000 people.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Madcap roasts in Grand Rapids and I'll happily vouch for them, and you're likely to find it in at least one or two shops around.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Why is it so much harder to push cold brew through an aero press compared to normal coffee? Is there anything I can do to make it easier? Maybe a finer or coarser metal filter?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Fine suspended particles clog the filter. I use a cheap plastic v60 with a paper filter and let it drain at it's own rate rather than trying to force it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Hot liquids are also thinner in viscosity so they will pass through a filter easier.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I'm having a bit of an issue, for some reason the grouphead on my espresso machine and the portafilter (single) I'm using don't really want to line up the way I think they should line up.

The problem is basically when I tamp and insert my portafilter the grouphead presses into the espresso even though I've got it right on the line. This causes me to have to clean the machine after every single cup. If I put less espresso in, the shot comes out weak, and the extraction just sucks.

http://imgur.com/a/REAFk

Any ideas?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ILikeVoltron posted:

I'm having a bit of an issue, for some reason the grouphead on my espresso machine and the portafilter (single) I'm using don't really want to line up the way I think they should line up.

The problem is basically when I tamp and insert my portafilter the grouphead presses into the espresso even though I've got it right on the line. This causes me to have to clean the machine after every single cup. If I put less espresso in, the shot comes out weak, and the extraction just sucks.

http://imgur.com/a/REAFk

Any ideas?

Pretty sure that's not a level mark, it's the retaining ridge that works with the spring clip in the portafilter to hold the basket in place.

Judging by the photo you might be grinding a bit to coarse. Maybe less coffee with a finer grind and firmer tamp? Do you know what the mass of your current dose is?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Oneiros posted:

Pretty sure that's not a level mark, it's the retaining ridge that works with the spring clip in the portafilter to hold the basket in place.

Judging by the photo you might be grinding a bit to coarse. Maybe less coffee with a finer grind and firmer tamp? Do you know what the mass of your current dose is?

Nah, I'm not measuring weight or anything. I've played around with grind settings and where I'm at produced the best shots so far, but I'm willing to play around with it a bit. Screwing around with grind is a huge PITA though (too much waste). I guess it can't be helped.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
That looks like a really course grind. Grind much finer. Also throw the single basket away; it will always be finicky and inconsistent.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ILikeVoltron posted:

Nah, I'm not measuring weight or anything. I've played around with grind settings and where I'm at produced the best shots so far, but I'm willing to play around with it a bit. Screwing around with grind is a huge PITA though (too much waste). I guess it can't be helped.

Weight is a pretty critical measurement in espresso making. Not to say that people, or you, can't eyeball things and get a good result but with single doses there is very, very little margin for error. You can get good 0.1 gram scales for about :20bux: these days and I highly recommend one, even if you don't use it every day. At the very least it'll let you communicate what you're working with to others.

Secondly, waste when working with espresso is just part of the deal. You can definitely work to minimize it (I use only a few roasts from a couple roasters that i've worked out the grinds for ahead of time and I individually vacuum pack and freeze 20g doses when I get a new bag of coffee) but when you're dialing in a new roast or grinder or basket or machine you've basically got to expect to blow through 3-5 servings. It sucks, but espresso is a finicky beast.

Also I wasn't going to suggest it but since someone already did consider forgetting single doses / baskets and going for doubles. They're a lot more forgiving just by virtue of having more coffee to work with.

Lastly, if it tastes good to you and you don't mind having to clean the machine that often feel free to just keep on truckin. Taste is king.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The nut on the bottom of my group head always comes in contact with my grounds, bit that is the amount of grounds that works best in my Silvia from practice. The actual group head is real close, but doesn't touch. If it does touch, it bogs the hell down.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not jumping on the grind finer camp (but grind finer), but it could be the group head gasket. Big silicone/rubber ring that seals the head and portafilter. It can get nudged out of place or have stuff get stuck under it meaning it's pressing "down" into the portafilter. Maybe reseat that and check it for damage as well.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

porktree posted:

That looks like a really course grind. Grind much finer. Also throw the single basket away; it will always be finicky and inconsistent.

Yea, that's just not going to happen. The double I have requires so, so much more ground to be good and I'm just not going to use that much for a single shot.

Scaramouche posted:

Not jumping on the grind finer camp (but grind finer), but it could be the group head gasket. Big silicone/rubber ring that seals the head and portafilter. It can get nudged out of place or have stuff get stuck under it meaning it's pressing "down" into the portafilter. Maybe reseat that and check it for damage as well.

If it isn't right, it came that way. I'll play around with the grind a bit and see before I decide to try and pull the grouphead filter/ring off. I was wondering if it could be that, somehow.. Like if it was just sold with a rubber seal that is simply too big.

Oneiros posted:

Weight is a pretty critical measurement in espresso making. Not to say that people, or you, can't eyeball things and get a good result but with single doses there is very, very little margin for error. You can get good 0.1 gram scales for about :20bux: these days and I highly recommend one, even if you don't use it every day. At the very least it'll let you communicate what you're working with to others.

Lastly, if it tastes good to you and you don't mind having to clean the machine that often feel free to just keep on truckin. Taste is king.

Eh... I hear you, I'm just trying to avoid going hypercritical of the whole process.

Taste is right, but it's a little too much work per shot to clean. I'm spending three times as long cleaning the machine as I am making my coffee, turning the whole ritual into a 15 minute thing 3-4 times a day. Worst case I can live with it.

Thanks for all the replies peeps. Sadly, I'm deathly reluctant to try dual shot for cost alone.

rockcity posted:

The nut on the bottom of my group head always comes in contact with my grounds, bit that is the amount of grounds that works best in my Silvia from practice. The actual group head is real close, but doesn't touch. If it does touch, it bogs the hell down.

That's the way it's been for me so far (mostly) but I'm going to play around with it a bit more before I give into just having to clean it every single time I make a shot with it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why wouldn't you use a scale? It's super cheap and makes things way easier. I find it impossible to make coffee without one.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Also if cost is an important deciding point for you, espresso isn't for you - do pour-over instead. Making good espresso is expensive, there's no way around it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

+1 for both grind finer and buy a scale. A scale will probably pay for itself in reduced waste because you'll be able to dial things in much faster.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ILikeVoltron posted:

If it isn't right, it came that way. I'll play around with the grind a bit and see before I decide to try and pull the grouphead filter/ring off. I was wondering if it could be that, somehow.. Like if it was just sold with a rubber seal that is simply too big.

I had a situation today where I ran into the same thing you're reporting. Someone had set the big mythos grinder to single shot instead of double shot, so I ran a single grind twice which ended up with me having way too much coffee in the portafilter. The portafilter seal imprint was exactly like yours, and so apparent it was still present after extraction. So I'd say the problem is Too Much Coffee, and to fix extraction Grind Finer.

EDIT-It also took 90 seconds to get a usable amount from the extraction (I was morbidly curious at this point; I'm a professional with professional equipment, don't do this as home, it's called "choking")

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 5, 2017

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That isn't a goup head gasket imprint, it's from the spacer/screen. If the group gasket had junk under it and was lower than it should be it would just make it harder to lock the portafilter into place. Those seals are pretty hard rubber and can't deform enough to get inside the basket. Looks like just too much coffee for that basket (as has been covered).

ILikeVoltron, if you want consistent espresso with minimal fuss, waste or cleanup, look at a super-auto. That's pretty much why they exist, and yes, they can be dialed in to pull a decent shot.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

ILikeVoltron posted:

Taste is right, but it's a little too much work per shot to clean. I'm spending three times as long cleaning the machine as I am making my coffee, turning the whole ritual into a 15 minute thing 3-4 times a day. Worst case I can live with it.

How is cleaning taking you so much time? Dump out espresso puck, put portafilter back on, flush out for a few seconds, and you're done. :shrug:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jan posted:

How is cleaning taking you so much time? Dump out espresso puck, put portafilter back on, flush out for a few seconds, and you're done. :shrug:

He's probably right up against his screen, which means cleaning gunk off there too.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I clean my screen after every shot and can't see how it would take that long.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I go right below that line on my E61 Rocket and the screen still gets gunky. You just need extra wet/dry rags around to clean up the filter as well as mysterious flying grounds from all over your coffee station.

One of these is key too:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I rarely brush mine off but I flush mine before and after use every time, with and without the portafilter.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Hey guys, dumb question as usual but someone at work is talking to me about "nitro" coffee and they don't really seem to know what they're on about. I can't blame them since it's not something I've heard of either. Some kind of cold brew, they seem to think? Any ideas?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a scam to charge people $5 coffee with little bubbles in it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Okay, so that absolutely means the coffee chain I work for is going to get into it, and that's why someone here asked me what it was. Good to know, thanks.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Fizzy coffee sounds gross

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

TheDarkFlame posted:

Hey guys, dumb question as usual but someone at work is talking to me about "nitro" coffee and they don't really seem to know what they're on about. I can't blame them since it's not something I've heard of either. Some kind of cold brew, they seem to think? Any ideas?

It's coffee(often cold brew) in a keg on a 100% nitro line. There are a couple reasons why this is a good idea. For one, the coffee doesn't oxidize as fast, so it's a great way to preserve coffee. Storing coffee this way also means it can be served on its own without ice - so it doesn't get watered down. The nitrogen gives it a creamy texture kind of like a Guinness. As far as the expense goes - it depends what kind of coffee you're using. It's certainly an extra labor step to make the stuff, but if you're just throwing in some random "mystery coffee" cold brew then yeah 5 bucks is probably a rip-off. The cool thing about "nitro coffee" in my opinion is that if one uses really nice coffee, brews it with care so it tastes really fresh and delicious, the coffee can be served in places outside of a normal coffee shop because it's already brewed and ready to go.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Wachepti posted:

It's coffee(often cold brew) in a keg on a 100% nitro line. There are a couple reasons why this is a good idea. For one, the coffee doesn't oxidize as fast, so it's a great way to preserve coffee. Storing coffee this way also means it can be served on its own without ice - so it doesn't get watered down. The nitrogen gives it a creamy texture kind of like a Guinness. As far as the expense goes - it depends what kind of coffee you're using. It's certainly an extra labor step to make the stuff, but if you're just throwing in some random "mystery coffee" cold brew then yeah 5 bucks is probably a rip-off. The cool thing about "nitro coffee" in my opinion is that if one uses really nice coffee, brews it with care so it tastes really fresh and delicious, the coffee can be served in places outside of a normal coffee shop because it's already brewed and ready to go.

Ya, a local KC craft brewery (Stockyards) has coffee on tap and it is delicious. I don't know what they charge for it, I have't been charged for it in other words. Its really tasty after a nice Brunch Stout.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cost wise it's comparable to a beer CO2 system with the piping and infrastructure that accompanies it. I've seen a few places selling it and it's sad how they are aping beer culture in how they market it, but I'm not a fan of what I've had thus far. It seems like the gas process kind of "downgrades" the subtlety of the beans into a kind of generic tasting drink with an odd chemicaly backtaste regardless of what goes into it.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Summer's coming and I've got an unused kegerator at home so I'm probably bringing it into the shop and setting it up for coldbrew. Haven't decided on still vs. nitro yet but I'm going in for a tasting first, they've got a bunch of different roasts to pick from. I could get Stumptown kegs too but for about twice the price.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bizarrely Stumptown is mostly what I've had thus far and what I haint been impressed with.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah ditto. This is what I'm going to go sample: http://www.soscoldbrew.com/our-cold-brew/

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Nitro coffee is so drat good, gently caress the haters.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I made cold brew gin and tonics the other night. I recommend it

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My local place (Bohdi Leaf) sells Nitro cold brew, but it's like $8. Luckily their rewards program gives free drinks and you can literally get any drink for free. 32oz Nitro Cold Brew, don't mind if I do!

Their beans are so good I'm never buying Illy again.

And to the goon with the cleaning problem: the superautomic recommendation someone made is good. I was able to get good enough shots and it told me when it needed cleaning. I went the other way and got a grinder and a Rocket, but it does take that daily rinse and a weekly clean.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mulls posted:

Nitro coffee is so drat good, gently caress the haters.

Nitro coffee has a great creamy mouthfeel out of a tap. Cold brew tends to be strong and often bitter (and not particularly nuanced) so I don't feel bad just making some sweet whipped cream and putting a little quenelle of it on top of it.

They're definitely targeting the beer and home brewing crowd, but if you already ponied up for a nitrogen regulator and tank for stouts, you just need an air manifold and that's probably the cheapest part unless you're going to be adding a dedicated tap for it.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I stand by my opinion that cold brew is trash.

I like bright, acidic coffees and cold brew just takes a giant poo poo on that. Japanese ice brew is absolutely amazing though when you get it dialled in properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

Cost wise it's comparable to a beer CO2 system with the piping and infrastructure that accompanies it. I've seen a few places selling it and it's sad how they are aping beer culture in how they market it, but I'm not a fan of what I've had thus far. It seems like the gas process kind of "downgrades" the subtlety of the beans into a kind of generic tasting drink with an odd chemicaly backtaste regardless of what goes into it.

Cold brew downgrades the subtlety of the beans - I don't make it but I thought it was a prime use for stale beans :) I haven't noticed any chemical after taste, I'm not sure where that'd come from in a gas system unless it was not cleaned or purged before it went into service. (ie residue from the oils and manufacturing process).