Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

jojoinnit posted:

I've never played this series. How literal is this description and why?

You create monsters by swapping the game disc out with music CDs. Some discs spawn special monsters.

Tips N Tricks back in the day had a whole list of what disc spawns which monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

(A) There is a ghost monster type.
(B) It and a few other monster types can only be unlocked through a series of actions that includes the death of one of your monsters (either from old age or a fatal injury).

A lot of weird things can happen in this game. It's grand.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I want everyone to appreciate Dark Cloud 2 as much as I do.

Each level is randomly generated, it's a real-time action RPG, you fight with a wrench, a pistol and a giant robot made from a barrel.
Once the level is over, you can replay the whole thing as a mini-golf course.
Stuff you get from that help build the town populated by people you recruit from all over the world to help fight the big bad.

It's such a good game!

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pastry of the Year posted:

"His goal is to become the world's best chef, so every day he is busy studying. But the truth is that his own body is the most delicious thing."

Leaked Bloodborne II art?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

This but for Chao Garden

Yes. I honestly think the chaos could have their own game and it would probably do better than a typical sonic game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inzombiac posted:

Each level is randomly generated, it's a real-time action RPG, you fight with a wrench, a pistol and a giant robot made from a barrel.
Stuff you get from that help build the town populated by people you recruit from all over the world to help fight the big bad.

It's such a good game!

did they bring back the mimics from the first game? those are my favorite mimic design next to minjos.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

It's such a good game!

With trophies. I'm planning to grab it the next time it's on sale.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FauxGateau posted:

Leaked Bloodborne II art?

Fries on the inside.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quarter Pounder, some say Royal with Cheese

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I just started playing Persona 5, and I've never seen a piece of media more perfectly inspire the sense of anxiety in trying to figure out an unfamiliar public transport system, getting lost, and being late on your first day.

Also it lets me answer an 'are you getting this' text message with 'no', and I didn't realize until now that I wanted that option every time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ilmucche posted:

Is that the london one? The london one was actually good, right? They release too many now and I've completely lost track since they stopped using numbers.

Yeah. I haven't played most of the others, but it's kinda ...Saint's Row 2-y? Like the city is controlled by a gang and as you do activities in each area you take them back over with your own gang that you see on the street and can recruit to ride with you and shoot stuff, and you can carjack horse n' buggies and stuff. That said the core gameplay is still sneaking and assassinating dudes and attack/dodge combat and a million collectibles so if that sounds like what you're looking for check it out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jojoinnit posted:

You don't have to work the monster to death, but it has to die and you have to have a lovely non-funeral for it in order for it to become a ghost. Ghosts are literally monsters you can get from disks from there on out. Which you can then do whatever with, you don't have to kill the ghost, but you get a fusion item that lets you create one for free and ghosts kind of suck. Unlocking some monsters were loving arcane magic mysteries. There are three monster types you unlock through the following method;
You get a "Hopper" Which is a weird horrifying lemur monster with giant bulging eyes. You have to raise it to a specific rank, no higher and no lower, and let it grow old as balls without dying. Then one winter it'll just randomly dig a hot springs in your farm if you're lucky. You find an item that lets you then make an Undine, which is a weird mermaid type monster. What the game doesn't tell you is that this also unlocks Niton, which are cartoonish ammonite looking dudes you see all over the place in higher ranked tournaments and seem to exist solely to get obliterated in one hit, and Disks. Which are literally just living disks.

Hoppers are awful monsters and just getting one up to B rank without a lump of slime with mega beefy arms punching it to death is a miracle in and of its self because they're terrible.

A lot of weird things can happen in this game. It's grand.
My absolute favorite is probably unlocking Mock. Which is a living tree and you might never see it because it's just a long con. Your assistant buys some seeds and plants them. They grow into a lovely little tree. Then loving nothing happens for like four in-game years. At some point the lovely tree dies. ??? then the tree comes to life and holy poo poo it's a monster now?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

TVTropes posted:

Unlocking Metalner in 2 requires that you have beaten two of the Major 4 and have upgraded your stable at least twice. Starting in the first week of September, as long as the weather is clear, you will randomly get an event that has extraterrestrial-looking beings that look exactly like the monster that you're about to unlock visit your farmland. The beings seem intrigued about humans raising monsters as fighting beings and want to inquire of your assistance for some of their fascinations with raising monsters. This event must be repeated for the next two consecutive weeks (likewise with clear weather), of which on the last one, the beings will give you a special item that will help you clone a being that is similar to their species and then is able to be raised as a proper fighting monster. Once you have the item, you must take it to the shrine and once done, the item will mysteriously disappear. From that point on, you will be able to generate a Metalner of any breed as well as different monsters that are related to the Metalner off of any CD you can find, provided that you can remember the particular CD that generates that specific breed of Metalner. You're going to need to do some Save Scumming once you're in the last week of August because sometimes the events will not occur.

The game is madness.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah I'm 75% of the way through it right now. It has zero modern day bits (so far at least) and the reconstruction of London is remarkable.

The only modern day bits are a few short cutscenes and, iirc, there's only ONE in the middle of the game.

Make sure you poke around the east end of the Thames once you get around 2/3rds through the plot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Quite literal. It's a weird series.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want to replay that now. Time to go to my dad's this weekend and try to track it down.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah. I haven't played most of the others, but it's kinda ...Saint's Row 2-y? Like the city is controlled by a gang and as you do activities in each area you take them back over with your own gang that you see on the street and can recruit to ride with you and shoot stuff, and you can carjack horse n' buggies and stuff. That said the core gameplay is still sneaking and assassinating dudes and attack/dodge combat and a million collectibles so if that sounds like what you're looking for check it out.

You've made this sound fantastic.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I remember playing American Wasteland when it first came out as a kid. I stayed up all night to beat the campaign even though it was a school night and I was in 5th grade. It's probably still my favorite Tony Hawk game just for the nostalgia and that it introduced lovely PS2 Wallruns which blew my 11 year old mind and hearing people call it a bad game makes me kind of sad.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

You've made this sound fantastic.

AC: Syndicate works out way better then it should, especially after the disaster of Unity. I like that you can bounce between the two characters at will, with one focused on combat and the other stealth, but the real difference between the two is pretty minor.

Always wanted to get back into it, but its pretty far down the game pile.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I remember playing American Wasteland when it first came out as a kid. I stayed up all night to beat the campaign even though it was a school night and I was in 5th grade. It's probably still my favorite Tony Hawk game just for the nostalgia and that it introduced lovely PS2 Wallruns which blew my 11 year old mind and hearing people call it a bad game makes me kind of sad.

I was first introduced to Tony Hawk Underground 2 around the same age, and it's still one of my favorite games that everyone else seems to hate. My little punk self thought it was so cool that you could graffiti any wall. I also really enjoyed the goofy tricks/arcade style jumps, and just skating around the city.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Few gaming experiences have stuck with as much as THPS1, loading the school level and "Superman" is the first song to play.
I still have that album, haha.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You have to remember that American Wasteland came out after over half a decade of annual sequels across three different console generations.If you were a kid and it was your first experience with the series then I bet it was great because you had what was probably the most refined and feature-packed installment in the series but for everyone else it had been running on fumes for years.

They did a remarkable job keeping the series fresh for as long as they did but eventually the progression went from actual groundbreaking stuff like the ability to chain together air and ground tricks into single long level-spanning combos and being able to freely explore levels and create your own moves to, uh, having a story mode and palling around with Bam Margera?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The Darkness 2

I have an Alfred and an Aunt May. Aunt May's hard af in this game.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm still amazed that THPS1 has a Minneapolis level. As a Minnesotan, it's awesome.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nordick posted:

I've been playing Prey, and I admit I appreciate the System Shock references like a video technology called Looking Glass, and the main elevator being stuck at the Arboretum level (was Hydroponics in SS2).

Great game overall, too.

I'm pretty sure the first code you need to 0451, too.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mokinokaro posted:

The only modern day bits are a few short cutscenes and, iirc, there's only ONE in the middle of the game.

Make sure you poke around the east end of the Thames once you get around 2/3rds through the plot.

I already found WW1 and I'm saving it for later :hfive:

Also, I would love to check out Monster Rancher but it doesn't exactly sound like something I could check out easily sadly. I'm assuming even a rom wouldn't really work based on the disk swapping bit?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Couple other things about the Monster Rancher series (these are at least true of the ones I played, 1 and 2):

Action Tortoise posted:

You create monsters by swapping the game disc out with music CDs. Some discs spawn special monsters.

Tips N Tricks back in the day had a whole list of what disc spawns which monsters

See that handsome little guy I used to represent Neubot's post? That's a special breed of monster you can only get off of disc 1 of Metal Gear Solid, for example. And there are a lot of hidden one-off monsters like this in the game, that you can't get by breeding (their "sub-type" is listed as ???). Look at some of the special discs for MR2. It's bonkers.

Another thing is that there's an entirely different roped-off section of the game that involves you bringing your monster along with an archaeologist on expeditions to remote ruins and other places in search of lost treasures, magical artifacts (which in turn unlock still more monster types), and wild cryptids, and monsters that do well on these trips aren't necessarily the ones that would do well in arena combat. Have fun!

Also, someone wrote about half of his master's thesis about Monster Rancher, which is actually pretty neat.

So yeah, someone that has patience for and an interest in old games should definitely play these.

ETA

jojoinnit posted:

Also, I would love to check out Monster Rancher but it doesn't exactly sound like something I could check out easily sadly. I'm assuming even a rom wouldn't really work based on the disk swapping bit?

PSX emulators have a "Change Disc" function (remember, a lot of PSX games spanned more than one disc) that you can use at the shrine to generate monsters. You could either pop in a physical disc or even just mount an ISO for the emulator to read as the disc in the drive for that purpose.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

See that handsome little guy I used to represent Neubot's post? That's a special breed of monster you can only get off of disc 1 of Metal Gear Solid, for example. And there are a lot of hidden one-off monsters like this in the game, that you can't get by breeding (their "sub-type" is listed as ???). Look at some of the special discs for MR2. It's bonkers.

The best one of these is Moo/Muu which is a giant apocalyptic dragon thing. They accidentally assigned it to a single limited edition printing of Beck's Mellow Gold, rather than the standard edition so managing to track down a copy that produced the monster was exceedingly rare. There was also a monster, the Pole Mock, which took people years to find out which specific disk it was coded to.

My personal favorite, however, is the Metal Jell. It's a regular old Jell monster with a simple silver metal texture applied to its body, and it's little encyclopedia description talks about how they run away really fast as a reference to Dragon Quest. They put it on the Terminator 2 Soundtrack.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Thanks a lot guys, now I want to play Monster Rancher again

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Ya you guys pretty much convinced me that Monster Ranch is an awesome collect-a-thon. I assume starting with 1 would be better than jumping into 2?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nude posted:

Ya you guys pretty much convinced me that Monster Ranch is an awesome collect-a-thon. I assume starting with 1 would be better than jumping into 2?

1 is good, but 2 improves on it in every way, and these games literally do not have an end - although there are certain high-tier goals to shoot for - so if you want to throw yourself into one for dozens and dozens of hours to try and see/do as much as possible, go directly to 2.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Someone mentioned the horrible scanning minigame in Mass Effect 2 in another thread. I seem to remember that Uranus uniquely had no minerals whatsoever so there was zero point in scanning it or probing it, so when you ordered a probe to be fired at it the computer wouldn't do it the first time and would say 'Really, commander?' and if you pressed it again would say '...probing Uranus'. You could almost hear the eye roll, it was great.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The only disc I remember that spawned a monster was Blink 182's Dude Ranch and I think Backstreet Boys' Millenium spawns something as well.

The Darkness II

The art style is very comic book-y, with some slight cel-shading and a cute trick where the game renders a solid black contour line to objects and characters when they're facing you and it changes based on your position. It's not as aggressive as Borderlands' art style. I want to see this kind of cel-shading done more.

There's a lot of character to their animations as well. I'm not sure if they did motion capture to the faces because they move slightly asymmetrically and not in a bad way; like they paid attention to how people talk. And they did a great job giving character to the mobster npc's and how they gesture with their hands.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Im not sure if it was this thread or the other one that got into a multipage derail about SOMA, but thanks. I've been playing it now. I got it in a humble monthly back in september and its pretty drat good.

Also, not a game per se, but I've been drat pleased with the humble monthly. poo poo, next month the headliner is Dark Souls 2.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I bought a Matchbox 20 cd because I needed it to make a monol.

It turned out to be a pretty good cd.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Monster Rancher 2? Dark Cloud 2? This thread is literally all about my jam right now.

Len posted:

I keep hoping someone who has skills at game design puts the love and care into a monster rancher clone like the Stardew Valley guy did Stardew Valley

A guy did this for Dragon Quest Monsters series, into a game called Siralim 2.

My favorite little thing about that game is how after beating the main quest line, you generally have enough abilities and items unlocked that you transform the game from an RPG dungeon crawler into a convoluted incremental game where you speed through dungeons as quickly as possible using your absurd monster trait combos, doing things like sacrificing your own monster to have it explode for 9 trillion damage (not an exaggeration), and if that's not enough (it won't be, eventually) you can repeat a loop of revival and death 11 more times before the enemy can even act.

All this to unlock even more absurd artifacts, which you can then slap on your literal God of Volcanoes to give him a quadrillion intelligence (also not an exaggeration) so that his world-ending cataclysmic spell does thousand times more damage than your 12 sacrificial explosions ever did.

Once again, to unlock even better artifacts. Repeat.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

jon joe posted:

Monster Rancher 2? Dark Cloud 2? This thread is literally all about my jam right now.

A guy did this for Dragon Quest Monsters series, into a game called Siralim 2.

My favorite little thing about that game is how after beating the main quest line, you generally have enough abilities and items unlocked that you transform the game from an RPG dungeon crawler into a convoluted incremental game where you speed through dungeons as quickly as possible using your absurd monster trait combos, doing things like sacrificing your own monster to have it explode for 9 trillion damage (not an exaggeration), and if that's not enough (it won't be, eventually) you can repeat a loop of revival and death 11 more times before the enemy can even act.

All this to unlock even more absurd artifacts, which you can then slap on your literal God of Volcanoes to give him a quadrillion intelligence (also not an exaggeration) so that his world-ending cataclysmic spell does thousand times more damage than your 12 sacrificial explosions ever did.

Once again, to unlock even better artifacts. Repeat.

So what you're saying is this is Dragon Quest Monsters X Disgaea. I'm okay with this.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

So what you're saying is this is Dragon Quest Monsters X Disgaea. I'm okay with this.

Speaking of Disgaea, another great game: Phantom Brave. The summoning system was pretty inspired, and I loved wielding an absurdly level log of wood which I could use as a laser cannon.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This reminds me of a game I spent tons of time playing back on the PS1: Azure Dreams. It was like a monster-collecting/breeding game crossed with a dungeon-crawling roguelike. You could go into the dungeon to collect monsters, fight through randomly-generated levels and get loot (which you would lose if you died) but you could use a town portal to go home. You could use your money to build up your house and the town you lived in, and there was even a dating mini-game too. I really enjoyed that game and I never hear anyone talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I bought INXS's Kick because it would make a rare monster (a disc that looked like a soccer ball) in Monster Rancher. Then I gave the CD to my brother as a Christmas present. :v: I also rented 'Hackers' just so I could get a rare monster in Monster Rancher 4 (that was a PS2 title, so it could use DVDs as well as CDs).

Speaking of which, I did an LP of Monster Rancher 4, which you can look up on the LP Archive if you care. I think that was the last good Monster Rancher game (3 was kind of odd, and the less said about EVO or the portable titles the better). It let you raise multiple monsters simultaneously, which was a nice quality-of-life feature.

e: hm. Looks like all the videos in the LP are busted. I still have them, so it should be simple enough to get the maintainer to link them back in.

FredMSloniker has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Jun 6, 2017