Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

grimcreaper posted:

Im running pretty much every mod for 8.0 and 8.1a with no issues so far.

drat, since when do avatars even get that big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Pavlov posted:

drat, since when do avatars even get that big?

only mods can do it i think. g0m did it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hmpf, and I didn't get to keep my Trump tower which was smaller. Injustice :colbert:

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

:frogsiren: Nexerelin and Dynasector just updated. :frogsiren:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Lowen posted:

:frogsiren: Nexerelin and Dynasector just updated. :frogsiren:

oh poo poo. there goes my productivity after work tonight. any big changes?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Nexeralin has officer deaths now. You can turn it off in the conf file though.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dynasector is currently hosed in some fashion, so you might want to hold off on using it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Nexerelin seems wierd too. Cant seem to save games. Coukd be an issue with using a bunch of .8a mods as well though

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Make sure you have the 8.1 R7 version of SS rather than the R6 version that was released yesterday - it fixes some of the oddities with the mods.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Started playing this again after buying it back in... gosh, 2013? And saw then that it was obviously not ready for primetime, yet had excellent production values and QC. Immediately decided to shelve it a few years.

Started playing vanilla a week ago. Modded a couple days after that. Found out that most mods aren't even up to the current version yet, then just now found out that Nexerelin (which sounds like it's extremely my poo poo) updated. Just started my 3rd fresh game in a week.

This guy is gonna make so much money when he drops it on steam.

edit: also protip for any modding newbies like me that get crashes on saving, copy your 64 bit java into the /jre/ folder inside the Starsector directory (or get the path to work right, I didn't because I'm dumb / stupid) and edit your vmparams parameters to say -Xms2g -Xmx4g instead of the defaults. No more saving problems!

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 6, 2017

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
A question for anyone who knows about modding: I wanted to try out some pixel art and screw around with a couple ships I wasn't perfectly happy with, so I just edited the image files in graphics/ships. This works for the most part, but there's one anomaly, when the ships "glows", like when its shield is getting hit or its guns are firing, you can see the outline of the old ship image being illuminated. I can't figure out how to change this (including with the ship editor).

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

metasynthetic posted:

edit: also protip for any modding newbies like me that get crashes on saving, copy your 64 bit java into the /jre/ folder inside the Starsector directory (or get the path to work right, I didn't because I'm dumb / stupid) and edit your vmparams parameters to say -Xms2g -Xmx4g instead of the defaults. No more saving problems!

Actually, as of 8.1, it comes with 64-bit Java, so all you have to do is edit vmparams!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

TastyAvocado posted:

A question for anyone who knows about modding: I wanted to try out some pixel art and screw around with a couple ships I wasn't perfectly happy with, so I just edited the image files in graphics/ships. This works for the most part, but there's one anomaly, when the ships "glows", like when its shield is getting hit or its guns are firing, you can see the outline of the old ship image being illuminated. I can't figure out how to change this (including with the ship editor).

are you using graphicslib? it adds several texture files you'll also need to update.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Unreal_One posted:

Actually, as of 8.1, it comes with 64-bit Java, so all you have to do is edit vmparams!

When I tried just that by itself, it didn't work :shrug:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Prav posted:

are you using graphicslib? it adds several texture files you'll also need to update.

goddamn that gave me an idea for a neat weapon system, disables weapons and shield, but projects an aura of angry armor melting damage while boosting maneuverability

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Prav posted:

Thank you!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

metasynthetic posted:

When I tried just that by itself, it didn't work :shrug:

Do you have a 64bit OS?

I was going to say it might be the bounding box on the ship sprite that you weren't changing, but I'm glad someone else found the real answer. Good to know for later.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Tanith posted:

Do you have a 64bit OS?

Yep, Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting this, option 2 worked so I just went with it.

Tooling around in Nexerelin for the first time, I get a much stronger small fish in a big pond feeling than before. I chose Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering as my starting faction, which is relatively weak but also isolated. Of course, the Knights Templar don't give a gently caress, so one of their doomfleets started cruising up on my 8 frigate, mostly D-class fleet in hyperspace.

Til I transverse jumped right out from under them :smaug:

It's worth 3 pointing tech just for Navigation alone.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

Yep, Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting this, option 2 worked so I just went with it.

Tooling around in Nexerelin for the first time, I get a much stronger small fish in a big pond feeling than before. I chose Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering as my starting faction, which is relatively weak but also isolated. Of course, the Knights Templar don't give a gently caress, so one of their doomfleets started cruising up on my 8 frigate, mostly D-class fleet in hyperspace.

Til I transverse jumped right out from under them :smaug:

It's worth 3 pointing tech just for Navigation alone.

Nexerelin is proving far more frustrating than i anticipated. Every faction just eants to clusterfuck you.

Make sure you turn off your transponder begore you attack any remnant probe or ship defenses. Youl get around -30 to all reps every time you forget.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I found an Omen floating in space early on in my new game and it's amazing for killing the unshielded Domain surveyor defense ships. What's a good loadout for it? It seems like a ship people don't use very often so I'm not seeing much info about it on the forums.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

I found an Omen floating in space early on in my new game and it's amazing for killing the unshielded Domain surveyor defense ships. What's a good loadout for it? It seems like a ship people don't use very often so I'm not seeing much info about it on the forums.

The Omen really isn't much of a combat ship, it costs too much and is barely armed. It's far too expensive and fragile to try a close range build to abuse the emp system but without that what are you even bringing to the table? 2 tac lasers and a salamander to keep your horribly rare sensor package from getting itself killed?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 7, 2017

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

my kinda ape posted:

It'll also do a number on unshielded fighters and can sometimes make a notable difference against missile spam. I tend to use it exclusively in fleet engagements, where it gets a single Mining Laser for ranging and whatever defensive options I have available.

Ideally I aim for 10 caps, 9 vents, hardened shields, auxiliary thrusters, flux coil adjunct, swarmer launcher, mining laser

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dynasector seems to have bugs so the download link got taken down. Hope it gets fixed for the weekend though! I'm itching to start a grand campaign.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I installed SCY for the first time and hoooooly poo poo the miniguns are my favorite weapon in the game.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

The Omen really isn't much of a combat ship, it costs too much and is barely armed. It's far too expensive and fragile to try a close range build to abuse the emp system but without that what are you even bringing to the table? 2 tac lasers and a salamander to keep your horribly rare sensor package from getting itself killed?

Slap some antimatter blasters, chuck on some hardened shields. Actually a great close range combat ship.

Not sure I'd trust the AI with it set up for close range, but I could fly through the middle of massive fleet fights and have the manoeuvrability to dodge any actually dangerous weapons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Slap some antimatter blasters, chuck on some hardened shields. Actually a great close range combat ship.

Not sure I'd trust the AI with it set up for close range, but I could fly through the middle of massive fleet fights and have the manoeuvrability to dodge any actually dangerous weapons.

Better not get hit by anything after you pop off 2 antimatter blasters because you don't really have the flux capacity to survive, even with hardened shields. That's also well over half your meager op, leaving you with little room for anything else.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The Omen is a great little class for a player to pilot but I find it needs the Auxiliary Thrusters for the AI to be acceptably survivable to me. Mind you I'm quite fond of putting Auxiliary Thrusters on most things I'll be letting the AI fly that have good front shield coverage (or Accelerated Shields for anything AI piloted with omni shields)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Having a really, really tough time starting out now with the new patch. The pirate bounty fleets are like 5x stronger now so I have to face 3-5 destroyers and 5-10 frigates with my handful of frigates for a reward of like 80k. The 120k fleets have Eagles and stuff that I have absolutely no chance of taking down. All of the core planets are now surveyed so if I want survey rewards I have to do a long distance trip. The Domain survey fleets drop a single low level AI core about 1/3 of the time and are much stronger than before. I can't even afford to get a decent freighter so that I can carry enough supplies and poo poo to make a profit from going to the outer systems.

It feels like instead of toning down the survey rewards a notch or two he toned down the rewards for every single way of making money a low while simultaneously cranking up the difficulty. The game was already hard enough to start out in, now it just seems miserable.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If it's mostly the early progression that's giving you trouble then consider something like Steiner Foundation

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I finished a survey expedition using Nexerelin, so I started heading back to my faction's capital system. I hadn't been paying attention to the popups (or it was one of the million you get when you return to radio range of settled space) and the Knights Templar had declared a crusade there :stare: My survey fleet is still pretty barebones, 2 clean destroyers, several mostly D class frigates still, and some civilian craft, so no way I could actually take them on. I was playing cat and mouse with them using go dark, creeping through deep hyperspace, hiding in asteroid fields, selective emergency / sustained burns, all trying to in and out of my home base so I could evac my assets.

It reminded me of playing Eve many years ago trying to get my poo poo out of a hostile system. Very cool.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

metasynthetic posted:

I finished a survey expedition using Nexerelin, so I started heading back to my faction's capital system. I hadn't been paying attention to the popups (or it was one of the million you get when you return to radio range of settled space) and the Knights Templar had declared a crusade there :stare: My survey fleet is still pretty barebones, 2 clean destroyers, several mostly D class frigates still, and some civilian craft, so no way I could actually take them on. I was playing cat and mouse with them using go dark, creeping through deep hyperspace, hiding in asteroid fields, selective emergency / sustained burns, all trying to in and out of my home base so I could evac my assets.

It reminded me of playing Eve many years ago trying to get my poo poo out of a hostile system. Very cool.

Sounds like it's all working as intended

... Did you make it? :eek:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

The knights templar are a bitch to deal with but ive found the cabal to be the worst. I can atleast avoid the templars whereas the cabal will emergency burn you down and seem to be impossible to run from.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

New Blackrock's out ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4018.2730

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dony use it with nex... seems to cause crashes during saves

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Dony use it with nex... seems to cause crashes during saves

I played for a fairly long time with nex and dyna enabled and no crashes before I released, could be interaction with another mod or another mod entirely

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I played for a fairly long time with nex and dyna enabled and no crashes before I released, could be interaction with another mod or another mod entirely

Im thinking its the prv works mod. Its the only other new one besides brsy ive put in. I had forgotten about adding it.

Ill retest in a bit.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Im thinking its the prv works mod. Its the only other new one besides brsy ive put in.

Ill retest in a bit.

i haven't tested prv with nex (wasn't updated at the time i put out v1), but at the same time it doesn't do anything particularly weird that i can imagine would cause conflicts. if it is the culprit, please tell me and i'll look into it.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
I ran into the save lockup and choppiness with PRV disabled. My gut tells me it's likely Nex itself more than any of the other mods.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

NightfallGemini posted:

I ran into the save lockup and choppiness with PRV disabled. My gut tells me it's likely Nex itself more than any of the other mods.

Yeah.. the longer you play the longer it takes to save until it eventually just crashes out. I like nex a lot but i think ill put a hold on it for a week or so.

And to prav i think ita nex for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Since 8.0 was released, this was the news I needed to hear so I could log in.