Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While my enthusiasm for BSG has cooled significantly over the years, I still can't think of a show that had the impact for season starting episodes/midseason episodes/finales. Even Lost at its best I feel only really had one (the season 3 finale) that was on the same level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like BSG was a very solid episodic, character-driven drama up until the very end. Like, if you got mad that you didn't get the answers you wanted, I don't really care.

Was it perfect? No. There were mistakes and accidents and all kinds of poo poo. But like, the important stuff got done.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nate RFB posted:

While my enthusiasm for BSG has cooled significantly over the years, I still can't think of a show that had the impact for season starting episodes/midseason episodes/finales. Even Lost at its best I feel only really had one (the season 3 finale) that was on the same level.

Nikita and Fringe

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Did anyone else watch Terra Nova? It was for the most part a bad show with bad acting, but at the end it got a little Lost-y and I kind of wanted to see where it would go in season 2, just because the possibilities seemed pretty cool.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

Did anyone else watch Terra Nova? It was for the most part a bad show with bad acting, but at the end it got a little Lost-y and I kind of wanted to see where it would go in season 2, just because the possibilities seemed pretty cool.

Terra Nova was a misunderstood masterpiece too good for this world. *Rides motorcycle between t-rex's legs*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Terra Nova was a misunderstood masterpiece too good for this world. *Rides motorcycle between t-rex's legs*

It made dinosaurs boring

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Where's that gif that replaces the airduct dactyls with dicks? I never watched beyond the pilot of that shoe, but I followed the thread for a season because the gifs were gold...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Terra Nova's greatest problem was that the future depicted in the pilot was infinitely more interesting than the boring dino past/alternate dimension/whatever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember all those Lost copycats from the mid- to late-2000s that were predicated on having a mysterious mythology story arc but never got resolved because none of them lasted?

Like THE EVENT. I remember one advert for THE EVENT.

"You have to tell me about THE EVENT."
"I'm sorry, but THE EVENT is classified."
"I'm the President of the United States; I need to know about THE EVENT."
"I'm sorry, sir, but I can't tell you about THE EVENT."
"TELL ME ABOUT THE EVENT!"

I also remember a show called Vanished which was about a kidnapping that ended up involving a government conspiracy and (I think) the end of the world. The most noteworthy things about it were a) it killed off its main character; and b) after it ended without resolving its storyline, the showrunner of Bones of all things announced that the story could potentially be resolved in whatever the next season of Bones was going to be (it was not - but that would be pretty funny, if all the cancelled and unfinished Lost-alikes had been resolved in episodes of Bones).

(Vanished ran at the same time as another kidnapping-themed show called Kidnapped, which I remember being pretty decent.)

Invasion, Surface, Persons Unknown. I liked all three of those too, especially Invasion.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Invasion, Surface, Persons Unknown. I liked all three of those too, especially Invasion.

There was another one too, I can't quite remember it but it was the only one I like at all. I think it started with an E, but it wasn't the Event? It was the same season as Invasion. Now this is bugging me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Surface and Invasion both started in the same season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

Similar question, has a murder mystery/"who is the bad guy?" show ever made the initial super obvious decoy bad guy the actual bad guy/killer? If so, has it been done effectively or does it just not work from storytelling/emotional payoff perspective?

Scream. And it did it so effectively.

Twin Peaks still has one of the most solid pilots of all time, if nothing much else. And the bad guy there is responsible for some of the most affecting poo poo on the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was a show called The Nine about a group of people involved in and/or victims of a bank heist mystery.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

try the new taco place posted:

I thought I was the only person on earth that watched/enjoyed Harper's Island

Nope, I loved it. I recently rewatched it on iTunes and it was still great. It has the best episode titles too.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

IRQ posted:

There was another one too, I can't quite remember it but it was the only one I like at all. I think it started with an E, but it wasn't the Event? It was the same season as Invasion. Now this is bugging me.

Threshold? That was CBS' attempt at a serial genre series.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JethroMcB posted:

That was it!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JethroMcB posted:

It had a fantastic cast too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Nope, I loved it. I recently rewatched it on iTunes and it was still great. It has the best episode titles too.

Harper's Island was cool and i want more one season horror shows

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MacheteZombie posted:

i want more one season horror shows

AHS is six of those

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

less laughter posted:

AHS is six of those

yeah I've watched AHS. only half of it was any good

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
It's interesting, it seems like Lost really did start a pretty big wave of sci-fi serial drama.

I remember when those three alien shows, Invasion, Surface, and Threshold, all came out at once, I was like a kid in a candy store.

Some stuff I don't think has been mentioned yet, we also got a V reboot, which sucked, Revolution, about no more electricity, and everyone's favorite post-nuclear small-town drama, Jericho.

There was also eventually Alcatraz which was supposed be JJ Abrams next big thing after Lost, but it apparently stunk.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I fell asleep watching random episodes of Elementary that I had missed and it's actually kind of shocking how much better of a show it is than Sherlock (and, again, I say that as a fan of Sherlock)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jonny Lee Miller is a better actor and is also way more attractive than the other guy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like even if I liked Sherlock, Elementary would come out on top by sheer virtue of how it gives Watson something to do. It's honestly kinda baffling how thoroughly Sherlock fucks that up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

-Blackadder- posted:

There was also eventually Alcatraz which was supposed be JJ Abrams next big thing after Lost, but it apparently stunk.

JJ Abrams has had a lot of those, I think Fringe was the only one that lasted more than one season. RIP Almost Human

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alcatraz was actually very good (mostly) and it's a real shame it didn't get a chance, just as things were getting interesting. I have no clue how Revolution got a second season but that show didn't.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Revolution had some potential that turned into a wet fart after the pilot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoyed Revolution quite a bit.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

-Blackadder- posted:

It's interesting, it seems like Lost really did start a pretty big wave of sci-fi serial drama.

Lost and Desperate Housewives were the breakout hits of the 04-05 season, and for the next few years everybody was trying their hands at high-concept serialized mystery dramas and soaps (Including ABC, who weren't content to rest on those successes.) Then you had the shows that tried to split the difference, like The Nine, which created a mystery of "What happened to those nine ordinary people during that bank robbery" then stretched it out as long and as thin as possible, and Fox's Reunion, the soap/murder mystery where every episode took place one year after the previous.

Iron Crowned posted:

JJ Abrams has had a lot of those, I think Fringe was the only one that lasted more than one season. RIP Almost Human

I think JJ Abrams will take a meeting with any production team with a sci-fi pitch in development, gleefully slap his name on it for profit participation, and then not really give a poo poo. His "brand" should be toxic by this point, at least as far as television is concerned. (Almost Human got really good as the season went on and I was pretty eager to see where the whole "John Laroquette turning evil and going over that mysterious wall" thing was going to go, but alas.)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

JethroMcB posted:

Lost and Desperate Housewives were the breakout hits of the 04-05 season

Grey's Anatomy too (colossal midseason hit).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I enjoyed Revolution quite a bit.

Yeah it picked up after awhile and got good, but man there was a real slump there with some stinker eps.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Being diabetic after the apocalypse is hell

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Man, gently caress Persons Unknown. Literally nothing about the setting made any kind of sense and before it started they made a big deal about it being a complete story with an ending and then the finale is all "welcome to the next level."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

-Blackadder- posted:

I wonder has there ever been a "central mystery" show whose ending/reveal actually lived up to the hype? I feel like there must have been some, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Obviously a lot of shows had great endings such as the aforementioned Breaking Bad and Justified, but they weren't really "central mystery" shows.

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. And they did it in one season, too!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. And they did it in one season, too!

I watched this show again a couple years ago, and the story arc episodes are mostly great, the filler episodes can be hit or miss though, especially the post arc episodes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JethroMcB posted:

Lost and Desperate Housewives were the breakout hits of the 04-05 season, and for the next few years everybody was trying their hands at high-concept serialized mystery dramas and soaps (Including ABC, who weren't content to rest on those successes.)

It's interesting to read in Disney War how those shows came out and they were massive successes all over the world but Michael Eisner (who was on the way out anyway) hated them.

Eisner also turned down Survivor because he ABC already had Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and he was convinced that it would be a number-one megahit forever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Event had a great premise and solid pilot.

That's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqYX-qI9oxw

precision posted:

Alcatraz was actually very good (mostly) and it's a real shame it didn't get a chance, just as things were getting interesting. I have no clue how Revolution got a second season but that show didn't.
The protagonist, the cute blonde cop, was eating Chinese food in the first couple eps and I thought they were gonna make it a thing.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 6, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's interesting to read in Disney War how those shows came out and they were massive successes all over the world but Michael Eisner (who was on the way out anyway) hated them.

Eisner also turned down Survivor because he ABC already had Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and he was convinced that it would be a number-one megahit forever.

"Huh, what did Eisner do after Disney...?"

In 2009, Eisner used his own money to produce a claymation show called Glenn Martin, DDS.

Yep. Nothing could make more sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Jonny Lee Miller is a better actor and is also way more attractive than the other guy

I have been places that saying this would get you stabbed.

But Elementary has Lucy Liu who I have been madly in love with since Ally McBeal so it wins no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JethroMcB posted:

"Huh, what did Eisner do after Disney...?"

In 2009, Eisner used his own money to produce a claymation show called Glenn Martin, DDS.

Yep. Nothing could make more sense.

I believe he also had some hand in the production of Bojack Horseman.

He's most recently been trying to buy a struggling English football team (Portsmouth, IIRC).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread