Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think Letang is a lot bigger blow than either of them + both of them combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
RJo isn't even on crutches anymore, get in there kid.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Thufir posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/871962535045591040

Are they really sure he's still injured?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Maybe we can put Letang in one of those neck braces that totally limits neck and head movement.

He'd still be better than Hainsey and Maatta.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not only is the NBA finals the same team for the third year in a row, one team is running away with it. Golden State has won the first 2 games by a combined 41 points.

Golden State won the first two games last year by a combined 48 points and Cleveland came back and won what ended up being one of the best series in NBA history.

Not saying it will happen again because I think the Warriors are probably even better this season, but I wouldn't say it's over either.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

T-Bone posted:

I think Letang is a lot bigger blow than either of them + both of them combined.

Yeah, after stretching out the last 2 series to game 7 I don't believe the luck is gonna hold now without ol' Letang. Nashville is way too good.

Even though they did play better in the last game.... eh. It'll be interesting to see how they respond back home. Home ice might be the only way they end up winning this series.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jumping up and down is probably against doctors orders based on the pictures of treatment for acute compartment syndrome.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

Yeah, after stretching out the last 2 series to game 7 I don't believe the luck is gonna hold now without ol' Letang. Nashville is way too good.

Even though they did play better in the last game.... eh. It'll be interesting to see how they respond back home. Home ice might be the only way they end up winning this series.

I'm still feeling reasonably confident just because of how good the Pens are at home. It will probably take 7 if they get it done, but I still believe they can.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm still feeling reasonably confident just because of how good the Pens are at home. It will probably take 7 if they get it done, but I still believe they can.

I still can't believe the Capitals won 2 of 3 games in Pittsburgh and still lost the series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mind_Taker posted:

I still can't believe the Capitals won 2 of 3 games in Pittsburgh and still lost the series.

caps.txt

For forever.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Carver posted:

I wasn't expecting them to get past the Senators or Capitals. I'm not sure how they get past Rinne because their reserve lines are giving up too many goals unless their passing gets better at home.

Their D is hanging out in the neutral zone like they're almost expecting a turnover when smashville blows by them and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Yay defending SC Champs who lost Letang

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mind_Taker posted:

Golden State won the first two games last year by a combined 48 points and Cleveland came back and won what ended up being one of the best series in NBA history.

Not saying it will happen again because I think the Warriors are probably even better this season, but I wouldn't say it's over either.

Last year, the Cavs doubled down on Curry and Klay and basically dared Harrison Barnes to beat them. Barnes had a ton of open looks and missed every single one of them.

That hot strat wont work with Durant

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

The Pens had no business getting past that series and if they win it's gonna be the most unimpressive looking Cup win ever but it will be p cool if they can pull it off.

But yeah the Caps should be playing right now. They'd have destroyed Ottawa I'm pretty sure and I don't think Nashville could have withstood them either. The Caps are basically Nashville but with way better forwards and a better goalie. Their dmen are really good.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah but the caps have shown over and over again that they'll fold under pressure.

I'd hate to be a fan.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I lucked into a (relatively) cheap ticket and was at the game last night. It owned and there was an incredibly angry / stressed old man near to me who I thought was gonna have a heart attack during the terrible Preds power plays

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

dogstile posted:

Yeah but the caps have shown over and over again that they'll fold under pressure.

I'd hate to be a fan.

It's not so much that I was surprised that they lost to the Penguins, I was just surprised they won 2 of 3 in Pittsburgh given how good Pittsburgh has been at home. I figured it might go similar to last postseason where they won 2 of 3 at home but lost all 3 on the road.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
If the Preds win game 5 I think they have the cup. It really comes down to can Nashville beat the Penguins in Pittsburgh, and can a Rinne stay Consistent?

I thought Murray looked great, he wasn't the reason the Penguins lost.

Also, if I hear the nickname "Freddy Hockey" one more time I'm going to kill someone. Yes, I get it, they have the same last name.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

If the Preds win game 5 I think they have the cup. It really comes down to can Nashville beat the Penguins in Pittsburgh, and can a Rinne stay Consistent?

Also, if I hear the nickname "Freddy Hockey" one more time I'm going to kill someone. Yes, I get it, they have the same last name.

I think Nashville probably has it if they win game 5 but at the same time it would be very Penguins to lose game 5 and then win the final two. Every time they get counted out their bullshit luck kicks back in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the pens have so much scoring talent they could just randomly decide to score a billion goals and win despite their hilariously bad defense.

Really it's a bad idea calling a winner at this point, just watch and wait for the result.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

If I hear another American try to pronounce Gaudreau, same.

So it's me or you, Duckman. One of us isn't walking out of Game 5 alive. Do you feel lucky?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't been watching the games because I have a lot of poo poo going on but Murray looked kinda blah on the goals he let in (though many of them were also good shots)

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

This series hasn't looked nearly as scary as the Caps series, either in the badness of the pens or the goodness of the opponent. Two days of rest between all subsequent games is a good thing for our D

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Really it's a bad idea calling a winner at this point, just watch and wait for the result.

worst sports fan

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

This series hasn't looked nearly as scary as the Caps series, either in the badness of the pens or the goodness of the opponent. Two days of rest between all subsequent games is a good thing for our D

Serious question here: why were you at any point worried about losing to the Caps?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

worst sports fan

Yeah, fair and balanced views have no place in this community but I try. :qq:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the smart hockey fans have their forks out ready to stick them in post game 1

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ginette Reno posted:

Maybe we can put Letang in one of those neck braces that totally limits neck and head movement.

He'd still be better than Hainsey and Maatta.
https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/872025281271402497
My god :v:

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Obvious clickbait is obvious. But one can dream...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably a slight chance Letang returns, period.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dreger is a lunatic. Letang had the surgery just before playoffs and it's a 4-6 month recovery time. He ain't playing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's clickbait and nothing more. Letang isn't coming back.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iospace posted:

Serious question here: why were you at any point worried about losing to the Caps?

Because this Caps team is the best it's ever been and they took 2 outta 3 from PGH on the road? History only goes so far. By that same logic, I should have never worried for a second that the Indians would beat the Cubs since the Cubs hadn't won a WS in over 100 years, but that wouldn't have worked out too well for me. Streaks eventually end.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you take a look at the goals Nashville scored on clean shots in the last two games (eg. not rebounds or scramble plays) Murray has been beaten a number of times low glove side. Nashville may have legitimately found a weakness in his game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

If you take a look at the goals Nashville scored on clean shots in the last two games (eg. not rebounds or scramble plays) Murray has been beaten a number of times low glove side. Nashville may have legitimately found a weakness in his game.

It's not some great discovery. Everyone knows is glove side is his weakness. But almost every goalie is weaker on shots high. The elite ones are elite because they give up next to nothing along the ice.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

It's not some great discovery. Everyone knows is glove side is his weakness. But almost every goalie is weaker on shots high. The elite ones are elite because they give up next to nothing along the ice.

no its because they're 8 foot loving tall and have giant oversized "chest protectors" that close off the top corners even when they're on their knees

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ginette Reno posted:

I said that Murray got beaten on a whole bunch of low shots. I don't know why you're interpreting that differently.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Murray doesn't track into his glove that well, he does that blocker goalie thing where he just kinda throws it up, his head gets locked in forward a lot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

I said that Murray got beaten on a whole bunch of low shots. I don't know why you're interpreting that differently.

I know what you meant. Low glove is still a glove side shot though. Im saying the elite goalies take away just about anything along the ice that could possibly hit their moon sized pads, and if they have any weaknesses at all it tends to be when they have to actually glove a puck. Also:

bewbies posted:

no its because they're 8 foot loving tall and have giant oversized "chest protectors" that close off the top corners even when they're on their knees

This is also accurate.

e: I'm going to game 5, so the Pens better not take a yuge bad dump on the ice

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

If I hear another American try to pronounce Gaudreau, same.

So it's me or you, Duckman. One of us isn't walking out of Game 5 alive. Do you feel lucky?

I am feeling lucky. PK will deliver us the holy grail.

That being said, I have a backup bottle of rum ready to go in case poo poo goes south (disclaimer: it's gonna get used either way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/PKSubban1/status/792828896324517888

Just wanted to remind everybody this existed.

• Locked thread