Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Toplowtech posted:

They turned the god of really master-crafted sublime ingenious creations into a mass producer of guns and ammo. No loving savoir vivre.

More than that.

Vulcan's a smith. You exult in Vulcan when you create something. Could be a sword, could be a hammer, could be a spatula. He's a creative force, pulling fire and metal from the earth and turning it into something useful and durable.

Vulcan the arms maker changes that entirely: "Every bullet fired in a school in a prayer to me." It's no longer creative, it's destructive. It's not just that it's changed from individual acts of creation to mass production, it's that he's now found in the pointless destruction of useful things, and not the purposeful creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

COOL CORN posted:

Interesting that this episode ended with the god Allah. I wonder if and how that's going to be handled? Or will the Djinn be the only Islamic deity-thing we see?

Seeing as Allah can't be depicted, surely He doesn't have a corporeal form.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

COOL CORN posted:

Interesting that this episode ended with the god Allah. I wonder if and how that's going to be handled? Or will the Djinn be the only Islamic deity-thing we see?

The existence of the various Jesuses did make me wonder about Allah, Christian God, my own YHWH, Muhammed and so on. Although I expect none of those will actually make an appearance. Jesus is pop culture enough to be fair game whereas going further into current large religions is hard to do without coming off as, at best, condescending.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I'd say that the trinitarian Christian trinity-God, the nontrinitarian Christian God the Father, the Hebrew Lord YHWH, Islam's One God titled Allah, and Bahai's God are likely to be very closely related ultimate deities, with a presence that's still hard to see visibly even in the American Gods fictional universe. Jesus is there, though, so I'm keen to hear what he's going to say about our father who art in heaven.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

COOL CORN posted:

It would be kinda lovely to portray Muhammad, much less consider the complications of finding an actor to do so. But the transcendental nature of the Abrahmic God does raise questions. Maybe that belief is just sailing off into the void, since that god doesn't seem to be an interventionist like the more classical period figures. Or maybe that divinity keeps on working like it always has: making revelations to people that everyone else considers to be crazy.

I'd also be curious to see how the show tackles the very extant gods of Hindu culture. Some people with physical maladies are identified as gods still, but should there also be four-armed and elephant-headed gods bopping around India while Wednesday does his thing in the states?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Broadly speaking, beliefs that trace themselves back to Abraham have a unifying expectation that the ultimate God, omnipresent and omnipotent and omnibenevolent, will return to a condition where God dwells peacefully with the whole human race, most resurrected. A talented enough team of storytellers can play with this in a way that's both entertaining, insightful, and still respectful to the source material, which in this case is actual people's beliefs.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Does Santa Claus exist?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think maybe we can take that sunrise scene at the end to be the presence of Allah, or at least Allah as Salim views him. Peaceful, warm, full of possibility, etc

Caufman
May 7, 2007

vermin posted:

Does Santa Claus exist?

Asking for Zwarte Pete, too.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

vermin posted:

Does Santa Claus exist?

The parts of The Dresden Files that Butcher lifted from American Gods had a field day with this question.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

vermin posted:

Does Santa Claus exist?

Yeah, its Mr Wednesday.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

vermin posted:

Does Santa Claus exist?

If there are multiple Jesuses, I see no reason why Santa Claus can't be running around with Mr. Wednesday also out there (seeing as all the gifts in one night thing is a really watered-down version of the Wild Hunt where Odin would stop at various houses while the Hunt was about and leave presents wherever food and drinks were left out for his refreshment while on said hunt).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll be very disappointed if we don't get to see all the tacky "gods" like Santa Claus. Also, where's Cupid drat it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

precision posted:

I'll be very disappointed if we don't get to see all the tacky "gods" like Santa Claus. Also, where's Cupid drat it?

Sweeney's all the cupid I'll ever need.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

Sweeney's all the cupid I'll ever need.

He's not my type physically, but otherwise :agreed: :swoon:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

apparently Sweeney was at some point to be played by Sean Harris, and I just can't see it. Maybe I haven't seen the right Harris movies. Schreiber's Sweeney is best Sweeney.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

vermin posted:

Does Santa Claus exist?

Who's Santa Claus? This more book poo poo?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Tigren posted:

Who's Santa Claus? This more book poo poo?

Some kind of small pastry?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Sickening posted:

Who is odin? This more book poo poo?

I can't get enough of this post

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Capntastic posted:

Please, again, I beg of thee, tell me where I can get the taxi driver's sweater, it is my only wish
I actually saw your earlier post and went looking then. I found it last night. Here you are, friend.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

double nine posted:

apparently Sweeney was at some point to be played by Sean Harris, and I just can't see it. Maybe I haven't seen the right Harris movies. Schreiber's Sweeney is best Sweeney.

Well, maybe they agreed with you since he did leave the show? Although for a look of how he probably would have done it, Harris was the crazy tattooed guy in Prometheus.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

socilest butthomo posted:

I actually saw your earlier post and went looking then. I found it last night. Here you are, friend.

<3

My wish has been granted

Thank you

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Caufman posted:

Wednesday's retirement package would have been swankier than Vulcan's, though. You definitely cannot buy off the allfather with a rustbelt town empty of busty blonde babes with veiny mammories.

It was a Zardoz approved town.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The existence of the various Jesuses did make me wonder about Allah, Christian God, my own YHWH, Muhammed and so on. Although I expect none of those will actually make an appearance. Jesus is pop culture enough to be fair game whereas going further into current large religions is hard to do without coming off as, at best, condescending.

Yeah I think the same. Jesus is a human figure as much as divine, and he's EVERYWHERE, so having him be personified in American Gods makes sense, but I can't see them actually depicting Yahweh or Allah.

Ganesha would be amazing.

double nine posted:

I like Harris but he's too serious for this role. Schreiber has just the right amount of angry and dark but at the same time goofy.

I said it before and I'll say it again; Schreiber has been wasting his time working in drama. He belongs in slapstick comedy. Watching him get hurt is hilarious. Team him up with Jackie Chan or something.

muscles like this! posted:

Well, maybe they agreed with you since he did leave the show? Although for a look of how he probably would have done it, Harris was the crazy tattooed guy in Prometheus.

He was also the crazy assassin Micholetto on The Borgias, where he got way more screen time than on Prometheus.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 7, 2017

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't get enough of this post

It could be the thread title if Sweeney wasn't so great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Was that Mark Lanegan singing "I Put a Spell On You"?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Still sad that mexican jesus wasn't portrayed by Danny Trejo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe we'll fet Danny Trejo as Black Pedro...

I don't know if this show is gonna have a Christmas special, but it should...

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Snak posted:

Maybe we'll fet Danny Trejo as Black Pedro...

I don't know if this show is gonna have a Christmas special, but it should...

Nah, if you want to go full mexican, he should be one of the Wise Men. The very very awkward one.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Caufman posted:

Asking for Zwarte Pete, too.

only if his entire appearance is screaming at the other gods about how he isn't a racist and then promptly dying

Caufman
May 7, 2007
He's powered by the Dutch mental resistance to accepting their role in the legacy of white supremacy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Desperado Bones posted:

Nah, if you want to go full mexican, he should be one of the Wise Men. The very very awkward one.

Is this more or less racist than white washing the wise men as all white dudes? :confused:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Definitely more. Especially considering Jesus is still white in most of those adaptions.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Is this more or less racist than white washing the wise men as all white dudes? :confused:

Well the caste the magi came from were typically on the lighter end of the scale, but presumably by the time of the Parthians this probably wasn't as much of factor.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Didn't see this one until last night, great episode. Psych Dad did a great job.

I want to go back to rewatch the "Mr. Wood" scene where Wednesday's pulling the root out of Shadow's gut. Did he tie that into Vulkan? It was something about the first thing that any human worshipped, seeing the trees all around them, then watching as his sanctuary burned to fuel the Industrial Revolution.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

biracial bear for uncut posted:

If there are multiple Jesuses, I see no reason why Santa Claus can't be running around with Mr. Wednesday also out there (seeing as all the gifts in one night thing is a really watered-down version of the Wild Hunt where Odin would stop at various houses while the Hunt was about and leave presents wherever food and drinks were left out for his refreshment while on said hunt).

Just to bring things full-circle, Ian McShane played a murderous Santa in season 2 of American Horror Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IQi0wJTu_E

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finally caught up and enjoying the hell out of this.

McShane for me will always be Lovejoy, and his American accent in this is constantly slipping to my ears. He's a hell of a charmer though, and perfect Wednesday casting.

I want to see more of Mr Nancy, and hope he shows up again soon. I've read the book, but it's been easily over ten years ago, and I can't honestly remember anything about it, so this is basically a whole new story.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Swedgin! you bloody heathen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Never saw Deadwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Ian McShane's greatest role will always be the combative stepdad from Hot Rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpzZ30FviE

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 10, 2017