Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Swim's Spellige will survive, and I'm very interested in trying out a few different warcrier decks. Hell, you can substitute the hunters for warcriers post nerf, still punish frost, and even get some actual use out of the right side of wild boar of the sea by pinging all your dudes once before you warcrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Minrad posted:

Swim's Spellige will survive, and I'm very interested in trying out a few different warcrier decks. Hell, you can substitute the hunters for warcriers post nerf, still punish frost, and even get some actual use out of the right side of wild boar of the sea by pinging all your dudes once before you warcrier.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Also people were whining about Tibor but the Albaaaaaa third round last card swing at least cost you a gold to pull off, while constantly bronze rezzing a 21 points piece of poo poo you couldn't even lock or reset always felt much cheaper to me.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So I am having enough fun here and playing regularly enough that I decided to put some money for a bunch of kegs. If I am going to do this every now and then, are there any "strategies" to which cards to choose and specific directions to work with?

(I don't mean building for specific decks, to be clear, but rather what are must haves/useful all around/stuff like that)

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Kawabata posted:

I think people are underestimating NG nerfs.

Between the golems, Calveit, Vicovaro Novice and Peter they're down about 12 points before turn 3. I doubt Tibor will be unplayable at 8 but it's another small nerf to their third round bomb. This is not a small issue for a deck that usually tries to win round 1 without spending any of their big bombs. Buffs to monsters also create more problems for NG because they usually stack the front row with the Imperas and Golems.

Not sure gold weather nerfs will immediately make them unplayable. Maybe. Maybe not. People were saying RnR/Drought would still be strong at 2 damage as recently as last week.

Skellige is still alive because their overall card quality is fantastic, they'll just need new decks. Also lol if people still ran Queensguard: it was also already terrible and borderline unplayable.

At the highest levels, Rainfarn had replaced Tibor anyway, from what I understand, and Rainfarn got buffed. Top players were talking about how Imperial Golems would be run even at 0 or 1 strength because they were just free deck thinning. NG got off light compared to Skellige which had an entire archetype killed, as well as their main weather counter dumped on so hard nobody will run even one of it anymore.

Pretty stoked for a potential machine NR deck though, and I mainly play fog monsters which inexplicably got some cool buffs without cilantro harpy getting nerfed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dead comedy forums posted:

So I am having enough fun here and playing regularly enough that I decided to put some money for a bunch of kegs. If I am going to do this every now and then, are there any "strategies" to which cards to choose and specific directions to work with?

(I don't mean building for specific decks, to be clear, but rather what are must haves/useful all around/stuff like that)

I can't vouch for it but here's a tool that uses a tier list to help you pick the "best" option when you get offered multiple golds or epics http://gwentify.com/card-picker/

However, there is a patch coming in the next few days which will probably throw the list off; also wait to mill your extra cards until the patch as the scrap value for commons and rares is going to be increased. Cheers to you

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Probably too much to hope for to get retroactive scraps from stuff we've already milled, yeah?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Probably too much to hope for to get retroactive scraps from stuff we've already milled, yeah?

Didn't sound like it. They said there would be some amount of apology scraps given if you'd bought kegs with real money in the past but they were vague about the specifics

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man, my luck with kegs fuckin' sucks.

First legendary I got was a dupe, second time I got to actually pick from 3 legendaries, and they were all poo poo. Renew was the best pick.

Then I get to choose from 3 epics: Iris, Fake Ciri, Manticore

:suicide:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Renew is really good tho.

Those epics are terrible tho :v:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Minrad posted:

Renew is really good tho.

Those epics are terrible tho :v:

I just don't really have any decks that would want to run it over a more flexible gold- there aren't many builds floating around that can spare a slot for Renew, and (at least where I'm at on the ladder) it feels like most people try to hold off and use their golds at the very end of round 3, which leaves a really tiny window to use it. I mean I guess it's better than the default Geralt that I've stuck in a few decks that I don't have all the pieces for, but ugh. There are so many legendaries that I actually want, and out of the very small pool that I wouldn't have an immediate use for, I got to choose from 3 of them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm actually a little worried that they might be too generous with this game. It's already way, way faster to put together a deck than in Hearthstone, which is probably a good thing for retaining new players. But boosting the mill value of cards seems like it might be a bad idea - just comparing it to Hearthstone, you have:

Significantly cheaper to craft cards
Smaller deck size
Smaller overall card pool
Smaller and less frequent expansions (from what it sounds like, maybe this is wrong?)
Easy to get 2 kegs per day vs like .5 packs a day average in HS

I'm probably missing something else, but I guess I'm wondering how they plan to keep people spending money when it already seems like drat near everyone I play against has a fully loaded netdeck and the game isn't even officially out yet. This game is a lot of fun so far, so I'm hoping they have a good model for keeping it going.

Hah, we have pretty different meaning of 'generous'.

To win 18 rounds of Gwent (for two kegs) you need to play around two hours every day. That's a lot. Don't you people work, or go out, or read books, or play other videogames? Stop playing 5 hours of Gwent :getout:
And even with two kegs, after the first 25 kegs or so, most of the cards will be duplicates. In my last 6 kegs I didn't have any interesting card.

In other words, no, I don't think it's too generous. I would leave the game if it was anymore grindy.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

To win 18 rounds of Gwent (for two kegs) you need to play around two hours every day. That's a lot. Don't you people work, or go out, or read books, or play other videogames? Stop playing 5 hours of Gwent :getout:
And even with two kegs, after the first 25 kegs or so, most of the cards will be duplicates. In my last 6 kegs I didn't have any interesting card.

In other words, no, I don't think it's too generous. I would leave the game if it was anymore grindy.

How many hours of HS do you have to put in to get 2 packs a day? The actual answer is you can't get 2 packs a day in HS, unless you're hoarding quests, but then you're not really getting 2 packs per day

Outside of Shadowverse vomiting free packs to you every once in awhile, Gwent is pretty generous. You're getting some sort of reward pretty much every game you play, every level you get, every rank you achieve.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

I mean, you aren't wrong, but evidently a whole shitload of people are playing 2 hours a day or spending a lot of money, because I almost never see any more "budget" decks even at low rankings. And two hours a day for 2 kegs is still like a third of the time it would take to get 1 pack in a day from HS if you don't roll a lucky quest. All of these kinds of games reward people willing to spend all day playing it, but as far as that goes, Gwent seems to have a significantly faster acquisition rate.

I had no idea they were planning a whole giant single player thing though, that's an interesting approach. Wonder if they'll be doing it like HS adventures, where it unlocks exclusive cards that become must-haves in all the top decks. If not, I can't see myself really caring much about it, personally.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Gwent feels quite generous to me as well. I was particularly surprised when I hit level 10, tried a ranked game and was just showered in kegs for some reason.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone says Northern Realms isn't very good but they keep summoning those machine towers and those can really cause me grief.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Doing your 6 win daily for a year will basically get you every card with the new scrap changes. Most players won't but that's true of very few games.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

look everything looks more generous after playing hearthstone ok

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Man my Consume deck is getting bodied at 2k mmr. :qq:

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Anyone else just stocking up on kegs right now in an attempt to get some of the soon-to-be nerfed cards for milling?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Slowhanded posted:

Anyone else just stocking up on kegs right now in an attempt to get some of the soon-to-be nerfed cards for milling?

You only get mill value for nerfed cards if you crafted them. But commons and rares will start to give more scrap value so yeah time to stock up on kegs.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

You only get mill value for nerfed cards if you crafted them. But commons and rares will start to give more scrap value so yeah time to stock up on kegs.

That's not true at all. You get the crafted cost of the cards when you mill them, not the cards you crafted. People are confusing "crafted" with "cost to craft".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the best way to deal with Tibor?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

botany posted:

Dimeritium Bomb, Shackles + another card, card advantage into round 3, stick a big bronze card into your deck when you mulligan or put cards back into your deck through an Assire effect. He is kind of a pain in the rear end. The -2 strength will make things a little easier.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

botany posted:

Win R1 and force your opponent to play him on R2

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Run kayran, hjalmar, or Tibor.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I slotted in a D-Bomb, thanks for that suggestion. That also helped against the Reavers deck.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

botany posted:

I slotted in a D-Bomb, thanks for that suggestion. That also helped against the Reavers deck.

I run a D-Bomb and a Scorch in a consume/weather hybrid Monsters deck with Ciri and RnR, Crones, etc and let me tell you that if the NG player is halfway decent D-Bomb isn't even enough. This is because you need to play last in the third round for it to hit Tibor ( as we all know Tibor is always NG's last card in hand) at which point the question becomes when the gently caress are you supposed to mulligan for it.

D-bomb in the first round is often a terrible draw; in the second it may not be but you can only mulligan 1, obviously getting in the 3rd round is always ideal but still requires you to either have card advantage and/or go second to react to Tibor.

By the way, I don't know about you guys but my rule of thumb in the Monsters vs NG matchup is always win the first round unless I'm 2 cards up on them and have carry-over on the board, and never drop Crones early unless I'm desperate. I will D-Bomb their loving Imperas in a second if that's what I need to win the first round hard.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Supposing gold + silver was 10 total with 4 gold max, would there ever be situations where you would take 7 or 8 silvers at the cost of golds, or are golds just too strong?

What if it was 6 silver/4 gold like now, but you could sub 1 gold for 2 silvers and make it 8/3?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Thing that really needs to be added: Allow you to check your graveyard when you're casting any kind of spell that has a card selection.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Supposing gold + silver was 10 total with 4 gold max, would there ever be situations where you would take 7 or 8 silvers at the cost of golds, or are golds just too strong?

What if it was 6 silver/4 gold like now, but you could sub 1 gold for 2 silvers and make it 8/3?

This might actually be a good way to give newer players a fighting chance since you'll usually have a bunch of silvers before you get very many gold cards. Like I have a million silver cards but only 3-4 good gold cards spread amongst the different decks. If I could take more silvers I would.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

botany posted:

I've met with mixed success using Tibor in my deck. Even when I play him as my last card My opponents are almost always able to top him off with their own swing cards. Basically play all the broken swing cards and hope it tips the 3rd round in your favor.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you win round 1 and force someone to play Tibor round 2 (usually as a last card) you'll almost certainly win off of it, because you'll gain 1 card advantage going into the final round. Risky strat though, because you'll need to whittle hands down to their last cards and come out with at least a tie in strength when it comes down to their last card.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Played 10 ranked games today faced 10 Nilfgaard players. Patch can't come soon enough.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
The only time I've felt truly hosed by Tibor was when I got Renew Tibor'd - thinking I had the upper hand by forcing the round 1 Tibor only to get hosed.

Been really hoping for either a Kayran and/or a Ge'els in my kegs lately so I can start playing a good Consume Monster deck. No luck so far but I did get a Rainfarn and so managed to put together a half-decent Calveit deck and while it does feel a little dirty, it's nice to be climbing the ladder again. I do kinda miss getting the free poo poo from GG's though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Estraysian posted:

Played 10 ranked games today faced 10 Nilfgaard players. Patch can't come soon enough.

It'll just change to Dagon every game.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Estraysian posted:

I'm currently rank 14 with a 77% winrate against NG. Just tech a scorch and a d-bomb in your Monster deck if you have it. In a vacuum Fiend is much stronger than the d-bomb but not if every other deck is NG.

Actually, let me link the deck.

When I built it I thought Imlerith, Scorch and D-Bomb where questionable along with my leader choice but the way the meta is right now I'm loving every single card of it.

Imlerith can net you an average 8+6+5(Roach) value while potentially removing a dangerous target (Brokvar Hunters, SK bears, Imperas and so on), and in the worst case an 8 points gold body in the third round is above average. Scorch will win you the matchups you usually can't win (spell ST, NR, the occasional Dorfs and massive Brokvar Hunters) because Monsters don't have many big dudes to drop on the board, while helping even in the favorable ones if you're careful. D-Bomb is acceptable in an NG meta (won't even win you all the Tibor matches but hey, can't find a better alternative)and absolute poo poo as soon as 80% of your matches aren't NG. And finally Eredin, the MVP. I like the flexibility of thinning your deck by two cards with the Navigator summoning another Hound, making an 11 points swing turn with the Wild Hunt Rider in those awkward situations where you're about to lose but still ahead in points, or even, in some niche cases, going for a 15 points swing with the Wild Hunt Warrior.

I tried the Dagon decks before this one but my Katakans kept getting Peter'd, I had no answer to spell ST (Bekker is always loving awkward to use), no answer to Tibor and yeah Dagon can thin your deck by 1 card more than Eredin but I think he's just an inferior leader atm. I'm sure Dagon decks were great last week but they're figured out as gently caress right now it seems.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 8, 2017

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BabyRyoga posted:

nilf's silvers are better than their golds.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think they should make locked cards stay locked if you resurrect them. Morkvarg is pretty much impossible to get rid of unless your opponent has garbage draws since they can just resurrect him with Sigrdrifa(or unlock him with Donar or Decoy).

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RatHat posted:

I think they should make locked cards stay locked if you resurrect them. Morkvarg is pretty much impossible to get rid of unless your opponent has garbage draws since they can just resurrect him with Sigrdrifa(or unlock him with Donar or Decoy).

Has it ever been confirmed that this is the way things are supposed to work? Maybe it's just a bug.

Yeah, I lost a game because someone locked one of my riders and resed it later + buffed it and got the resilience for round 3. Seemed like bullshit at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

It's supposed to work that way. Morkvarg isn't what needs to be nerfed in skellige.