Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Catching up on this thread forced, FORCED me to pull the trigger on finally buying a Zojirushi, my first rice cooker.
...and a bag of Tamaki Gold (thank you for the suggestions of rice)
...and I had to stop myself from getting one of the Anovas.

I hope that model zoji ok, they have like, 2 or 3 of them that appeared nearly identical, that one seemed to fit the most of my needs at the best price.

Any of the ones with that form factor are going to be great. Enjoy your perfect rice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I want a Zojirushi t shirt so badly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

These have come up before, they are a scam. They are actually fairly average chinese made production knives with a lot of fraudulent marketing BS.

Saw this on my FB feed back in March. Should have known better but ordered it after seeing lots of good reviews and stuff. Probably one of my dumber days.

Thought nothing of it until I saw this post.

Requested cancellation / refund last night. Whew...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Feenix posted:

Saw this on my FB feed back in March. Should have known better but ordered it after seeing lots of good reviews and stuff. Probably one of my dumber days.

Thought nothing of it until I saw this post.

Requested cancellation / refund last night. Whew...

They are not completely terrible knives, just no better than what you could get at Ikea or whatever for far less money. Basically infomercial knives with a somewhat different pitch. If you want a good set of knives that are actually worth the money check out Chef's Knives To Go and get a decent Gyuto and maybe a paring knife.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah, I have a few Shuns. A Ken Onion Santoku and some nice similar Shuns... I just thought (or wanted to believe, I guess) I was getting some master craft knife forged by a samurai's sensei.

It was dumb on my part.

But I'll check out that site when I need more. :)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Your shuns are probably better knives.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What is like The Best rice maker? Assume money is no object but I don't want a huge one, but something suited for like 2-4 people.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bongwizzard posted:

What is like The Best rice maker? Assume money is no object but I don't want a huge one, but something suited for like 2-4 people.

Zojirushi.

[Ed] I guess if money is no object, a small Asian man who is really good at cooking rice and pay him well...

Or a Zojirushi.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

bongwizzard posted:

The smaller size model of zojirushi should do you nicely, get as fancy as you please with the specific version.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, but like which specific one is the best? The Change Jar of Gimmicky Kitchen Purchases is like 3/4 full, it is almost time to start weighing our options.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, but like which specific one is the best? The Change Jar of Gimmicky Kitchen Purchases is like 3/4 full, it is almost time to start weighing our options.

Look for one that uses induction heating, they are much faster and more accurate with their temperatures. Here is an induction pressure rice cooker which should get you very good rice very quickly if you are willing to pay nearly $400 for it.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I'm looking to get a blender and/or a food processor. While I'd love a Vitamix, it's out of my budget.

Costco currently carries a $69 1000W Ninja Blender and a $129 1500W Ninja Blender + Food Processor + Assorted Crap.

I know the Ninja is a solid blender but I'm leery of combo/multi-function appliances. Does anyone have experience/thoughts on the food processor attachment on the Ninja?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Looking for a good, not too expensive roasting pan, preferably with a rack, and large enough to hold a decent-sized chicken.

Currently looking at this 18 inch granite ware covered roaster, but I'm not sure how good granite ware is at roasting, and I'd have to get a rack as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-0509...ds=roasting+pan

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Also taking recs on breadmakers. My girlfriend has this one, and I like it a lot, but wondering if there's something better for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CB...rds=bread+maker

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 5, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

Looking for a good, not too expensive roasting pan, preferably with a rack, and large enough to hold a decent-sized chicken.

Currently looking at this 18 inch granite ware covered roaster, but I'm not sure how good granite ware is at roasting, and I'd have to get a rack as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-0509...ds=roasting+pan

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Also taking recs on breadmakers. My girlfriend has this one, and I like it a lot, but wondering if there's something better for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CB...rds=bread+maker

Check it out.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Yeah, a half or full size sheet pan with a wire rack is all you need. Commercial kitchens hardly even use roasting pans.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Look for one that uses induction heating, they are much faster and more accurate with their temperatures. Here is an induction pressure rice cooker which should get you very good rice very quickly if you are willing to pay nearly $400 for it.

Oh man, the change jar usually only holds like $250-300. Gotta cull some pennies out I guess.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

Oh man, the change jar usually only holds like $250-300. Gotta cull some pennies out I guess.

There are induction, non-pressure based models for $250-$270, those are still very, very good since they heat up really fast, they just can't accelerate the cooking process even more via pressure.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My wife is a teacher and through her teacher perks thing we can get a refurb Vitamix for half price ($329 Canadian). Is this worthwhile if she's a smoothie fanatic? We have some piece of poo poo Oster that leaves seeds whole.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

My wife is a teacher and through her teacher perks thing we can get a refurb Vitamix for half price ($329 Canadian). Is this worthwhile if she's a smoothie fanatic? We have some piece of poo poo Oster that leaves seeds whole.

Yes. I'm pretty sure you could puree a brick with a Vitamix.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

Hey, maybe she can get it as a work item if she argues it's for pureeing fidget spinners.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

rgocs posted:

Hey, maybe she can get it as a work item if she argues it's for pureeing fidget spinners.

In America the joke's punchline is the concept of teacher perks

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
We live in Canada. :)

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Funny, I was just about to ask if this reconditioned Vitamix is a good choice. We are getting a very large gift card from them due to a mess up with some furniture. Also, is this rice cooker a good choice?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Funny, I was just about to ask if this reconditioned Vitamix is a good choice. We are getting a very large gift card from them due to a mess up with some furniture. Also, is this rice cooker a good choice?

That Vitamix should be fine. I have that rice cooker and it works well, though WS's price there is sort of hilarious, I paid $80 for mine. If you can you should step up to the induction heating model for faster cook times.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

At my last restaurant we had a vitamix and it is def worth the investment. We would make chili oil with it, and the friction inside one of those things after blending dried chilis with oil created enough heat to start the cooking process.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

At my last restaurant we had a vitamix and it is def worth the investment. We would make chili oil with it, and the friction inside one of those things after blending dried chilis with oil created enough heat to start the cooking process.

That's pretty badass. Worth double the price of the Costco Ninja? We got one of dem Ninjas for a friend and the thing can make ice into powder and pulverize anything.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Ultimate Mango posted:

That's pretty badass. Worth double the price of the Costco Ninja? We got one of dem Ninjas for a friend and the thing can make ice into powder and pulverize anything.

100% yes. like when ppl say they can't afford it my advice is always to start saving now until they can. nothing comes close and they last forever

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Can you actually make soups in a Vitamix, and as mentioned due to friction, the soups will come out already hot and ready to eat?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^No, not quite "hot". But eggs will cook and some emulsions will separate.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

nothing comes close and they last forever

Agreed. The Mrs. uses hers a lot, it's lasted 12 years with only having two replace two parts.

Kind of nice to have something in this day and age that is actually repairable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Can you actually make soups in a Vitamix, and as mentioned due to friction, the soups will come out already hot and ready to eat?

It will come out steaming. I did a broccoli soup this way once.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dumb question, but can it also not produce heat for things like frozen smoothies and such?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

baquerd posted:

Dumb question, but can it also not produce heat for things like frozen smoothies and such?

that is a dumb question.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

The heat comes from friction, and smoothies are not frictionless. Just don't blend it until it heats up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

that is a dumb question.

Be nice.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The heat comes from friction, and smoothies are not frictionless. Just don't blend it until it heats up.
You just need to make the blades spin the opposite way of course.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

rgocs posted:

You just need to make the blades spin the opposite way of course.

Thats how I keep the mileage down on my Costco Vitamix. The Kitchenaid doesn't have a reverse gear, though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

El Jebus posted:

Thats how I keep the mileage down on my Costco Vitamix. The Kitchenaid doesn't have a reverse gear, though.

Just hold it upside down when you use it. Duh.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just hold it upside down when you use it. Duh.

Or just move to Australia

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

1redflag posted:

Or just move to Australia

:fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Random gear news:

Breville is now the exclusive distributor for Polyscience. They redesigned the Smoking Gun and it now has the ability to stand up on its own without a stupid flimsy clip on stand. Same price.

All clad has a new line yet again, another Williams Sonoma exclusive yet again. The LTD line is basically like the D5, but with an anodized aluminum outside and handles like the Thomas Keller line. The people have spoken, they hate canoe handles. Price is $900 for a 10 piece set, which puts it close to the $800 D5 set.