Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is that Dante book good?

Where does Guy Haley fit in the BL author tier list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

mango sentinel posted:

Is that Dante book good?

He's bad.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Dark Imperium is a perfect example of an interesting premise/content being almost enough to make up for not-so-great writing.

Also, I admit I'm willing to forgive Haley a bit because it seems like he had to do a lot of setup and had a lot of constraints to work under. It was like a mix of Abnett in Unremembered Empire having to somehow move all these pieces into place for the larger heresy series, and Aaron Dembski-Bowden in The Emperor's Gift having to shoehorn in a bunch of new models. Dark Imperium had both of these kinds of things going on.

That said, it's so obviously just not as good as the better BL books. Even coming from Carrion Throne there was a huge difference in quality.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Is that Dante book good?

Dante is way good though. I'm a huge Blood Angels fan and was completely happy with how they were handled.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should have had female primarchs in retrospect. Oh well maybe next time.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

euphronius posted:

Malcador tried.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

euphronius posted:

It would have been more civilized.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
There were two, then they questioned the Big E about what the gently caress he was doing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
When you think about it, they really missed an opportunity with the primaris space marines to at least extend that to women.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Iron Rose posted:

When you think about it, they really missed an opportunity with the primaris space marines to at least extend that to women.

:agreed:

Ah well, at least Statuesque has me covered for lady heads. I'll just have to settle for that, GW doesn't seem brave enough to open the grog-tear gates just yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's pointed out the tank works a bit different then others. Most vehicles that hover just hover there and going under them is harmless. This tanks grave engines are constantly pushing against the ground so going under it results in you getting crushed. As a side effect this though the tank can only go a few feet off the group no matter the circumstances and if it goes across too big a hole the tank can end up flipping do to how it works.
Is that mushing effect a specific design goal? I mean this is a weird hill to die on when talking about 40k but the inconsistency is bugging me, so this hill here is where I shall die.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arquinsiel posted:

Is that mushing effect a specific design goal? I mean this is a weird hill to die on when talking about 40k but the inconsistency is bugging me, so this hill here is where I shall die.

Appearntly when Cawl made it, it was not intended, but he felt it would be useful so kept it in. That way dudes like that Iron Warrior who got mushed would make the same mistake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's an element of the Imperium's brute force approach to technology compared to a graceful Eldar skimmer or an advanced Tau design. No, none of this antigravity poo poo, just a full blown grav jackhammer to keep us afloat.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
30k skimmers have a rule to represent that kinda projected force, Grav Backwash. I forget the specific rules, but it does make skimmers, especially the heavy ones like the Custodes', much more dangerous to tackle in combat.

It's a concept that's been in 40k before, just not really explored.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Custodes Grav Backwash? Grody.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

It would have been more civilized.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only female primarchs not talking to eachother

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Why? SMs are sexless monsters - who cares if they are female? Primaris Marines are doubly so, since they are vat grown. Cripes, I don't' get this weird fetish with having female versions of 9 foot tall sterilized sociopaths.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why? SMs are sexless monsters - who cares if they are female? Primaris Marines are doubly so, since they are vat grown. Cripes, I don't' get this weird fetish with having female versions of 9 foot tall sterilized sociopaths.

because I'm a woman, I like some representation in my lovely scifi genre schlock, and I'm more than a little tired of the fact that Warhammer 40k is a gigantic sausagefest.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There is an entire army of women in (extremely cool) power armour. Personally I'm much more invested in them being updated than in the giant eunuch freaks having their withered vestigial winkies replaced by equally redundant vaginas.

I will admit that my reticence is driven first and foremost by exposure to the Doctor Thunder types who infest our hobby. Without the knowledge of those creepy sex-weirdos I'd probably be more open to it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

There is an entire army of women in (extremely cool) power armour.

Who almost never appear in the fluff, and when they do are usually getting butchered (sometimes literally, lol grey knights) or are attack-crazy lunatics who do more good than harm in contrast to the reasonable and intelligent male protagonists.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

because I'm a woman, I like some representation in my lovely scifi genre schlock, and I'm more than a little tired of the fact that Warhammer 40k is a gigantic sausagefest.

Sisters of Battle are all women. IG ostensibly have women under all that flak armor. The Inquisition has female Inquisitors. Eldar and Dark Eldar have female models. Necrons are robots. Tyranids are bugs. Orks are fungi. Space Marines are weird ubermensch sociopaths.

I get your gripe that women are in short supply in sci-fi in general, but making female SMs is not really the answer. Making cool characters like Lotara in the World Eater books is - she's a badass who stood up to Kharn, of all people. The Gaunt novels have some good female characters as well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cythereal posted:

Who almost never appear in the fluff, and when they do are usually getting butchered (sometimes literally, lol grey knights) or are attack-crazy lunatics who do more good than harm in contrast to the reasonable and intelligent male protagonists.
They are religious fanatics in a society of religious fanatics. I think suggesting that they are treated as irrational as a function of their gender is just absolute bollocks, and reading something in that is not there. Their neglect in terms of stories is almost certainly a result of how long the model line has been languishing. I think when they get converted to plastic we'll see an increase in prominence and the quality of their portrayals as part of their sales drive, and afterwards as a result of renewed interest in the army. To an extent this has already happened with the Gathering Storm books, or at least the first one.

I will allow that Matt Ward should not be permitted to write fluff. That bizarre stuff with the Grey Knights definitely comes from the sadder, creepier, end of the hobby spectrum.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 8, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They are religious fanatics in a society of religious fanatics. I think suggesting that they are treated as irrational as a function of their gender is just absolute bollocks, and reading something in that is not there.

I'm not saying it's because of their gender, I agree with you that they're the fanatics among fanatics. Be that as it may, the Sisters rarely appear in the fluff and when they do it's almost never a positive portrayal. Same thing with all the women in the Guard - they're ostensibly there but we just about never see them outside Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain, and the latter claims there's only ever been one lady general in the Guard's history.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cythereal posted:

I'm not saying it's because of their gender, I agree with you that they're the fanatics among fanatics. Be that as it may, the Sisters rarely appear in the fluff and when they do it's almost never a positive portrayal. Same thing with all the women in the Guard - they're ostensibly there but we just about never see them outside Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain, and the latter claims there's only ever been one lady general in the Guard's history.

Ah General Sulla, her prose was as deadly as her tanks. Also, according to the Cain books, who shouldn't be taken much seriously, mixed gender regiments are the norm but there're women-only regiments. 40k is certainly a big enough universe to be able to get a bit of everything, a pity it usually falls short in this regard.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I specifically said female primarchs

It's wierd to me that the emperor is overtly male to begin with

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But also there is no reason that female humans could not be turned into space marines. Theyed probably look the same.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you're arguing about the lack of SOB books due to the age and scarcity of their models how do you explain the imperial guard? Their basic infantry model hasn't been updated since 2001 and there are no female miniatures in their current line, so naturally they shouldn't have so many books and none of them should have guardswomen.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 8, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

euphronius posted:

I specifically said female primarchs

It's wierd to me that the emperor is overtly male to begin with

The emperor (at least according to himself) is overtly a male since he was born as a child and raised in the Fertile Crescent. Why do you find it weird?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh is that a "fact"?

It's hard to keep track .

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ah, I love how the slightest suggestion brings out the grognard rage

:allears:

Seriously though, why is female SMs not an answer?

Like this is the question no one has ever been able to answer me. In the grim darkness of the far future, why should space marines only be male?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Space marines are a weird combination of monks and knights which is why they got their start as all male. Sisters of Battle are Battle-Nuns and there a combination of factors on why the dont get more representation but it all comes down to $$$ (GW has come around on this more so there should hopefully be more books on them soon). Also sisters of silence are totally a thing and they are kicking rad yet everyone forgets them.

euphronius posted:

Oh is that a "fact"?

It's hard to keep track .

He does a series if psychic flash backs with a custode in MoM and basically goes "This is me as a kid, this is where I grew up, thats my uncle/dad."

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 8, 2017

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Because Space Marines aren't really male, they are weapons made out of flesh. A female marine would be pretty much the same exact thing as a male one. (Particularly since it is established that the geneseed even goes as far as adjusting the appearance of the Marines to be closer to the primarchs)

I would much rather have female heads for guardsmen. (Since that is pretty much the only difference you would see with the armor on)

(And no. This isn't rage, just a quick justification as to why I think that females would be better represented somewhere else)

Technically, there is a very good chance that Nids are majority female, at least if you look at Hive insects like ants and bees.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Ah, I love how the slightest suggestion brings out the grognard rage

:allears:

Seriously though, why is female SMs not an answer?

Like this is the question no one has ever been able to answer me. In the grim darkness of the far future, why should space marines only be male?

Per the fluff, written 30 years ago by a bunch of British nerds, geneseed did not react properly to female genetics. It never got any deeper than that. Is it silly? Yes. But this is a game of space knights and elves fighting in World War One.

Nobody here is raging - we're just pointing out that 40K isn't necessarily the sausage fest you claimed.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you're arguing about the lack of SOB books due to the age and scarcity of their models how do you explain the imperial guard? Their basic infantry model hasn't been updated since 2001 and there are no female miniatures in their current line, so naturally they shouldn't have so many books and none of them should have guardswomen.

IG is an entirely plastic range, and you could probably buy at least a platoon's worth for the same price as one squad of pewter SoB. Also, as has been noted, IG troopers are, by and large, not gender specific models.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 8, 2017

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Plus, there have been countless female guardsmen in the fluff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Such feminine grace in these non gender specific models.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, because anyone looks graceful in 50 pounds of battle gear with flak and helmet. Are you mad they aren't pirouetting, like all female models should be doing? Stop being a dick.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Arcsquad12 posted:

How very dishonest of you.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Are we really having model chat? Is that what this is going to hinge on? Maybe we should consider that GW loves to save $$$ and having multiple molds for different genders for a line of models with little to no individuality is not a good business decision and thus was not made. Also like no one checks the model faces unless they are a special character and the paintjob can do a lot to show gender on the face.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Emperor being an avatar of toxic masculinity never occurred to anyone?