Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
BTW guys I decided that I'm gonna make those tourney streams a scheduled thing - every wednesday from 7-10 eastern is what I'm aiming for. Hope to see you at the next one!

Trykt posted:

Just throwing this out there, but if you wanted to use the discord to help coordinate your tourneys that's no big deal. I can mod you and we can have a channel just for tourneys, or just PS4 tekken, or whatever makes the most sense. I understand if you got people from other communities participating too you might not wanna involve discord (at least not the goony as gently caress discord), just making the offer.

Yeah I think at the very least I'll start posting the link in there when the tourney starts. Basically I just wanna get as many people playing in these as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Has anyone here tried Tekken with the Hit Box? I'm not a stick player but it seems like it'd be interesting to try out and potentially really good, judging by the videos on YouTube demonstrating wavedashing, JFs and stuff.

he1ixx posted:

I did some reading and watching and ended up buying a fight stick (Qanba Drone for $10 off) and, despite waffling back and forth and knowing that a pad is a totally legit way to play, I thought it would be fun pushing big buttons. Thoughts on the Quanba Drone would be useful to me and relevant to my interests.

Then I played a bunch of Tekken last night and doubt my decision, not because the stick is or isn't a bad idea but because holy gently caress Tekken is hard. I started playing with Lili and getting a sense of her move list. I was able to grind through a bunch of Treasure matches, then finished the Arcade mode with her and decided to go online and see what's what.

First match (quick match), I lost 3-1 but the 1 seemed like a really solid effort that was responding to his tactics and adjusting by using things that would counter the poo poo he was busting me up with.

Last night, I started by trying to find a Quick Match and it just would never connect (PS4) or find an opponent. On the odd times when it did, it quickly said "Opponent couldn't connect" or similar. They need to fix that asap.

So I started looking for "Sessions". I eventually found one I could join but it is totally non-obvious what you are supposed to do. I waited around for a while and then a match started. I was getting murdered by this fellow but eventually rallied. He took the first match easily. I almost took the second -- one hit away -- but he ended up finishing it out. Then I came out of the match, said "gg" in the chat and got the message "Removed by host". Was I really THAT bad? Did I make some faux pas by saying "gg"? Did they just not want to play someone so bad? I was perplexed since I felt like, even if I was bad, they'd get an easy win and I'd learn. Why kick me? Any perspective would help because if they don't want to play with someone as bad as me (who clearly says "Beginner" under their name) then I need to rethink things because I won't be good for a while and since it takes FOREVER to get into a game on the PS4, getting kicked after losing seemed like an extra poke in the eye.

How is everyone else initiating matchmaking? Quickmatching? Not even bothering with non-ranked? Also the session screen is baffling with tons of iconography that means nothing to me. I'll need to see if I can find a tutorial or manual or something.

I will say this. -- jumping into a serious fighting as a complete noob is an Everest-level learning curve and culture shock and it hasn't been a ton of fun so far. I will soldier on though because I'm a stubborn person. Also, I've switched to Leo. Maybe that'll help.

It sounds like you're reading way too much into getting removed from one session, it could just be that the host had a friend come online that they'd rather play.

As for matchmaking in general, the PS4 matchmaking is severely broken right now and there's a patch coming soon to fix it, in the mean time random sessions or tournaments are apparently the best ways to find online opponents.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

tyblazitar posted:

Has anyone here tried Tekken with the Hit Box? I'm not a stick player but it seems like it'd be interesting to try out and potentially really good, judging by the videos on YouTube demonstrating wavedashing, JFs and stuff.

It sounds like you're reading way too much into getting removed from one session, it could just be that the host had a friend come online that they'd rather play.

As for matchmaking in general, the PS4 matchmaking is severely broken right now and there's a patch coming soon to fix it, in the mean time random sessions or tournaments are apparently the best ways to find online opponents.

OK That's what I was hoping. My fear was that I somehow violated some sort of secret code of conduct.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've wanted to try playing on keyboard but the default key layout feels really cramped and awful. Anyone here using keyboard and if so, (how) did you remap the buttons?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Arzachel posted:

If you can hit 4 buttons without ghosting, keyboard is perfectly fine.

Mechanical keyboard so I should be fine. Anyway of reliably testing this? nvm found a site, ghosting not a problem.

Check for ghosting.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/20966625/

1500 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 8, 2017

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

gently caress, who thought the Kazuya fight in multiple phases was a good idea? It's like they took boss design notes from Dark Souls 3. :cripes:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Your Computer posted:

I've wanted to try playing on keyboard but the default key layout feels really cramped and awful. Anyone here using keyboard and if so, (how) did you remap the buttons?

I did

u-w (I might switch this to space, but FSP as ingrained that w is up)
f-d
b-a
d-s

1(x)-j
2(y)-k
3(a)-l
4(b)-;

Places your hands in almost the basic typing posistion. You could just move the left hand over one key and it really would be basic typing position (I play a lot of FPS so wasd seems normal for me). I thought about doing the right hand on the numpad but changed my mind.

If you are asking for how in game, there is a keymaping option in the options menu. Make sure you change the menu and RB/LB keys to something you will remember.

1500 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 8, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

I think his point wasn't "I can't deal with rage arts help" and more that having to play in a super passive style to make sure you don't get tagged by a super is kind of dumb and boring.

comparing it to a DP is unfair because in almost every game getting hit by a DP doesn't take 50%, and even stuff like ultras in SF4 aren't really the same because in 2D games you have a lot more options in how you move around the screen and the moves tend to recover a bit faster so its less likely for you to get caught.

like there isn't really something akin to a safe jump in this game, is there? maybe this is just an online issue but I agree with that guy b/c against most people online I proceed to basically just stand there and only do whiff punishes the second they enter rage because there's been too many times where I throw out a 1 or a low kick or something and that was coincidentally the time they arbitrary decided to do rage art from a quarter screen away so I die

Yeah I've been kinda conflicted on RA. Giving someone a huge one button damage punish as a comeback mechanic is fine, but I think the hyper armor is a little ridiculous. You can tag people with a poke that, instead of blocking, they can just armor through and kill you. It's not even really a whiff punish, so you get super turtley if you're in that sub-50 health range. So it makes end of game play insanely passive in a weird way, but rounds are so fast and damage is so high across the board that it doesn't really matter most of the time. I'm already tired of the animations though, they're way too long.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I like yolo rage art players because that means I get to skip all the foreplay of jab style pressure and just press a big button every now and then. Knocking someone out through their armor is awesome.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Yeah I've been kinda conflicted on RA. Giving someone a huge one button damage punish as a comeback mechanic is fine, but I think the hyper armor is a little ridiculous. You can tag people with a poke that, instead of blocking, they can just armor through and kill you. It's not even really a whiff punish, so you get super turtley if you're in that sub-50 health range. So it makes end of game play insanely passive in a weird way, but rounds are so fast and damage is so high across the board that it doesn't really matter most of the time. I'm already tired of the animations though, they're way too long.

Very few pokes can be armored through with rage art on reaction - if someone armors through something with RA (and it wasn't a later hit in a string or something) it was a guess, and a risky one at that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

darealkooky posted:

I think his point wasn't "I can't deal with rage arts help" and more that having to play in a super passive style to make sure you don't get tagged by a super is kind of dumb and boring.

comparing it to a DP is unfair because in almost every game getting hit by a DP doesn't take 50%, and even stuff like ultras in SF4 aren't really the same because in 2D games you have a lot more options in how you move around the screen and the moves tend to recover a bit faster so its less likely for you to get caught.

like there isn't really something akin to a safe jump in this game, is there? maybe this is just an online issue but I agree with that guy b/c against most people online I proceed to basically just stand there and only do whiff punishes the second they enter rage because there's been too many times where I throw out a 1 or a low kick or something and that was coincidentally the time they arbitrary decided to do rage art from a quarter screen away so I die

the second someone does a random super on me I just start doing nothing but deathfist every time they're low. They can't sidestep and whiff punish it to save their life :mrgw:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arzachel posted:

She has a crouch dash accessable by the normal command but she can also cancel her switch stance into crouch dash by holding forward. Switch stance and crouch dash movesets are seperate.

That's what I thought, so I assume cd3 would be her lunge forward low kick thing that does a very satisfying thud on hit.

What's the normal input for crouch dash? When I was messing around with Master Raven she had something specifically listed as d/f,d,d/f but I don't see it on Josie's list.

As an aside, I did my first backdash canceled into another backdash last night! I can't do it very fast yet, but it was gratifying to see that I could actually manage to do it a few times after practicing it a bit each day I've played.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Rage arts are still kinda dumb. They scale with health lost so the swings can be super dramatic. Not even when you just guess, but as combo enders on rage-buffed launches that's double damage you're looking at. Juggles didn't used to scale that well with rage so it's changed the rage dynamic a bit.

I think rage drives are pretty boss though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like RA/RDs but I'm also a newbie so... :v:

I just like that it changes up the tempo a bit and forces both players to play a little differently, especially if both players are in rage. Even then, you can kill people through their RA super armor (it doesn't block damage) and if they whiff or you block then you can finish them off. It makes the end of the round a bit slower and more deliberate than the rest of the round but it shouldn't result in "insane turtling". It punishes blind offense but so does a lot of things in this game y'know?

1500 posted:

I did

-snip-
Thanks! Mapping them in a straight line seems more useful than the default cluster. I'm wondering if maybe Eliza's inputs might be easier on keyboard :haw:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should learn how to use Kazumi's Rage drive somehow, it seems cool

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

In Training posted:

No tigers, 0/10

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That's what I thought, so I assume cd3 would be her lunge forward low kick thing that does a very satisfying thud on hit.

What's the normal input for crouch dash? When I was messing around with Master Raven she had something specifically listed as d/f,d,d/f but I don't see it on Josie's list.

I think it varies from character to character. Josie's crouch dash is f,N,d,d/f and I know some others just have a qcf.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

he1ixx posted:

Then I came out of the match, said "gg" in the chat and got the message "Removed by host". Was I really THAT bad? Did I make some faux pas by saying "gg"? Did they just not want to play someone so bad? I was perplexed since I felt like, even if I was bad, they'd get an easy win and I'd learn. Why kick me?

Saying gg implies you are done fighting the person. People say it at the end of long sets to indicate that they're not playing anymore.

Also you're being kind of neurotic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

i use fengs all the time because its like feng is standing there one second and the next you are against the far wall with 100 damage

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Crouch dashes are always f,N,d,d/f

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Langosta Whiteman posted:

After having recently bad-mouthed Jack-7, I'm actually having a lot of fun with him. He's a silly robot with much better juggling ability than Gigas. Anyone have tips on how to get the most out of my new robot friend?

Jack is who I started playin with. He's so so basic, so turtley and so good at being basic and turtley, the perfect compliment to my training-room-only Mishimas (i am a slave to EWGF).

So basically just block? A lot. And punish as hard as you can. Throw out a 2,1 every now and then. Probably a few d/b+1 cause that button is legit. If you want to get a little aggressive you can ff+1 (follow this up with EMGF if you can, or d/b+2 if you can't do it reliably, also ff+1 is safe). Standard d/f+2 launcher but it's got some serious range. ff+3 is also fun to throw out, it's plus on block so.. I guess push some buttons afterward? Throw? I dunno. I'm not gonna pretend I'm good.

Oh and d/f+1,1 is gonna be your screw attack (s!) that you'll use in practically every juggle.

Also, know your command throws. Also, if/when you win, press 3+4 a bunch, alternatively press d/b+1,2,1,2,1,2.

Edit: and since it's kinda on topic, Rage Drive is probably a better use of rage than RA, at least until you/I start playin dudes who can block it on reaction, which i guess is possible.

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 8, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brosnan posted:

Wait, really? I could've sworn Feng's was different. Guess I'm bad at remember moves after all :v:

Speaking of moves, what's the deal with 1+2+3+4 (guarantees a counter hit?) in practice mode and why isn't it listed literally anywhere in the world. It confused me so much in combo videos and such until I inputted it myself on accident one time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Those big blocky costumes for Jack are just the ugliest things.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Some characters have a sway forward (qcf), which works differently from crouchdashes and prevents you from wavedashing (because sways are a more discrete form of movement that you can't arbitrarily cancel into another sway). Basically imagine that Paul could move like Kazuya and it immediately becomes clear that that's a bad idea.

Supercharge is a legacy thing that's basically only used in training mode when you want to do some poo poo involving CH properties without going to the menu to toggle it on. It prevents you from blocking so yeah don't do that against a human.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Brosnan posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok so the f,n,d,d/f 3 input is actually just crouch dash into 3, I get it now.

I really need to use crouching tools in general a lot more, I end up trading 10 f jabs with people and embarrassing amount because rather than attempt to duck their response I end up stand blocking.

Maybe tonight's the night I force myself to attempt ducks and punishes properly

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

Those big blocky costumes for Jack are just the ugliest things.

Say that to my face.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Brosnan posted:

Saying gg implies you are done fighting the person. People say it at the end of long sets to indicate that they're not playing anymore.

Also you're being kind of neurotic.

Makes sense and I totally agree with you.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Brosnan posted:

Some characters have a sway forward (qcf), which works differently from crouchdashes and prevents you from wavedashing (because sways are a more discrete form of movement that you can't arbitrarily cancel into another sway). Basically imagine that Paul could move like Kazuya and it immediately becomes clear that that's a bad idea.

Supercharge is a legacy thing that's basically only used in training mode when you want to do some poo poo involving CH properties without going to the menu to toggle it on. It prevents you from blocking so yeah don't do that against a human.

The final boss of Tekken 8 will be Devil Paul and he will have the mishima wavedash and 1,1,2 and EX deathfist is an instant kill if it hits.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fighting a Jin with good wavedashing and perfect ewgfs was like looking into the face of god

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pomp posted:

Fighting a Jin with good wavedashing and perfect ewgfs was like looking into the face of god

I'm thinking he's who I want to learn.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

KingShiro posted:

Aris doing good work out there online, it's also pretty :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYD6OICOWaA

I was watching this again and it made me realize some of those low sweeps are launcher punishable, huh. I know what I'm doing in the training room tonight.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
(For EU only, maybe?) the PS4 patch is live now. I just managed to get into a ranked match, so it definitely did something: http://eu.tekken.com/#!/en/news/new-patch-for-ps4-live-now

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 8, 2017

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

I was watching this again and it made me realize some of those low sweeps are launcher punishable, huh. I know what I'm doing in the training room tonight.

This video opened my eyes. I'm doing the exact same thing as that paul in the video.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

God drat Dam God posted:

This video opened my eyes. I'm doing the exact same thing as that paul in the video.

This should be reposted every page

Trykt posted:

Gonna share some generally important lessons for newer peeps that I've learned from playing Tekken and 3D fighting games in general over the years . Some/all of this might seem super obvious but I promise each of these bullet points was a genuine fuckin' epiphany for me at some point:
  • Learn your punishes first - If you can't consistently punish unsafe moves then people WILL abuse them against you. Make sure you can at least attempt to do basic punishment, which includes knowing which moves you can actually punish with a combo instead of a single hit or string.
  • Block high, react to lows - This is kind of upside-down from 2D games. Your general goal on defense is to default to stand blocking to defend against highs and mids, and react to throws with a break input and react to lows (which are generally slowish moves) with a low block or low parry (then punish).
  • Mids are the baseline of your offense - As above, lows are generally slower/riskier, and High hitting moves generally have great properties but will always have the liability of being duckable which can lead to punishes/interrupts of varying severity. You need to threaten with mid hitting attacks very often to keep the opponent honest.
  • Learn to convert off wall hits - Something that really intimidated me about learning TTT2 was figuring out how to alter my combos to include walls, but it turns out this is really easy. Every character will have 1 or 2 moves/strings that are basically meant to "pick up" a combo on an opponent that splats on a wall and you basically just go straight into this ASAP when the wall hit happens, then finish with a combo ender. Then it's oki as usual, that's it.

I hope that's helpful to somebody! Please ask questions if anything is unclear.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 8, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
MMCafe lets you make t7 tier lists now

here's mine:

Would love to see one from someone who actually knows what they're talking about

E: scratch that this one is better:

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 8, 2017

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

If no one got the chance to watch the Wednesday Night Fights last night, it was probably the most informative and all around fun one to watch in a while. A bunch of different characters were played and they rotated in a bunch of different casters who were also playing in the tourney. If you're looking to learn Aras gets on the casting desk around 4:18 and is pretty awesome during every fight.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/150314786

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skjorte posted:

(For EU only, maybe?) the PS4 patch is live now. I just managed to get into a ranked match, so it definitely did something: http://eu.tekken.com/#!/en/news/new-patch-for-ps4-live-now

I dont have any download in NA. :negative:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont have any download in NA. :negative:

Same. Was hoping it might be a server side only one. :D

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I'm guessing it's only live in Europe at the moment, though I didn't notice a download, and there's nothing new in the game's Update History. I'm still getting more 'couldn't connect' or 'couldn't send fight request' messages than I am fights, but I've managed to connect with a handful of players, so EU definitely did get a boost. Hopefully they're still tweaking the algorithm because connecting was way less of an issue in T6 and Tag 2.

I've played 9 games with Ling and have reached 2nd kyu now. If I level up one (two?) more time(s), will every other character also level up, or is that not until I reach a higher milestone? I'm a very comfortable Xiaoyu player and an extremely bad everyone else player, so I'd hate to not have those ten or so low-level fights with all of the other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer