Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

Probably going to be my new frontline:

Probably going to hear a lot of demandss for nerfs.

She's gonna be awesome with her ability to knock people off the map all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Her kit seems really fun and a complete nightmare to handle in a double tank comp.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh the Summer Open Qualifiers week 4 is hilarious. District 69 and WASD were battling and WASD's Evie was pushing the cart and won the push while District 69 was distracted by the rest of WASD.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Just tried this game for the first time today and I gotta say it's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sophism posted:

Her kit seems really fun and a complete nightmare to handle in a double tank comp.

After trying her out for an hour I can honestly say your prediction was accurate :hellyeah:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

After trying her out for an hour I can honestly say your prediction was accurate :hellyeah:

I got randomly paired with an Ash as Inara a few times. Between her knockbacks and my wall no one was able to dislodge us off the point.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

EDIT double post

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I tried this awhile ago and kept getting a bug where I couldn't move, but this is actually really fun. Kinessa seems pretty insane ATM, but i can see how Viktor or someone would be a better option later on. Aha Lin > Kinessa I don't really get - it seems like kinessa has way more consistent, higher damage, with an ok escape?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sha Lin has the advantage of not getting completely boned when a flanker comes to face him whereas a Kinessa has to do alot more to have a winnable duel.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Who makes good video guides for this game? I've found Bird's channel is pretty good, but am curious what else to look for.

Annointed posted:

Sha Lin has the advantage of not getting completely boned when a flanker comes to face him whereas a Kinessa has to do alot more to have a winnable duel.

This might just be a function of who I'm playing then - I haven't had trouble 2-shotting most flankers so far, but I could see that just being because I'm level nothing playing casual.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Who makes good video guides for this game? I've found Bird's channel is pretty good, but am curious what else to look for.

DefnotHanzo makes some pretty informative vids, especially about how to flank good

NinjaBoffin's Paladins University series helped me build my perfect loadout for every champion

And Raire's Paladins Mythbusters films desperately need some real narration and less chirpy music but are essential to avoid falling into dumb but often repeated ways of playing

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Ty! Those are great.

Also, what do people refer to when they are talking about their mmr/rating? Do they actually use the elo from paladins.guru? Or is there something better.

It seems like no one really plays comp? I'm confused here.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Hey, another new player here. As an alternative to video guides, are there good text guides for basic loadouts for each character? I've just been looking at the leaderboards and seeing what's popular but that can be kind of a slog.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ty! Those are great.

Also, what do people refer to when they are talking about their mmr/rating? Do they actually use the elo from paladins.guru? Or is there something better.

It seems like no one really plays comp? I'm confused here.

People refer to elo using the fan site Paladins.Guru to track their mmr. Competitive is kind of messed up because it encourages throwing and selfish picks to preserve your main champ's elo. Even the pros find Casual matchmaking to be better than competitive.

There are alternatives such as mypaladins, but that site sucks. Mypaladins includes matches from test maps as part of your mmr which means you don't have a mode where you can practice w/ other players without worry. Paladins.guru which shows you what elo everyone has to you can understand how much elo you gain and lose per match, mypaladins doesn't tell you jack squat. It says that it grades you on individual performance, but it doesn't tell you exactly what you're being graded on. And on a person note I certainly believe that bugzy is 1500 elo than me than mypaladins telling me that he's only 400 elo better than me.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Annointed posted:

People refer to elo using the fan site Paladins.Guru to track their mmr. Competitive is kind of messed up because it encourages throwing and selfish picks to preserve your main champ's elo. Even the pros find Casual matchmaking to be better than competitive.

There are alternatives such as mypaladins, but that site sucks. Mypaladins includes matches from test maps as part of your mmr which means you don't have a mode where you can practice w/ other players without worry. Paladins.guru which shows you what elo everyone has to you can understand how much elo you gain and lose per match, mypaladins doesn't tell you jack squat. It says that it grades you on individual performance, but it doesn't tell you exactly what you're being graded on. And on a person note I certainly believe that bugzy is 1500 elo than me than mypaladins telling me that he's only 400 elo better than me.

Weird! It shows me as in the top 6% of players, which seems extremely unlikely. does it tend to get more accurate once you have played more games?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Weird! It shows me as in the top 6% of players, which seems extremely unlikely. does it tend to get more accurate once you have played more games?

I think the total player count includes every HiRez account regardless of whether or not they've ever played Paladins.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
They really need to get their poo poo together on the consoles. I'm tired of getting randomly disconnected while in the queue only to get "Deserter" status when I log back in. I wasn't even in a loving game dipshits. :argh:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

They really need to get their poo poo together on the consoles. I'm tired of getting randomly disconnected while in the queue only to get "Deserter" status when I log back in. I wasn't even in a loving game dipshits. :argh:

They said next patch they made the servers more stable. Hopefully that means stable for everybody.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

OB 53 in a nutshell:
Make everyone shoot farther and projectiles go faster. Also give everyone but Skye buffs. Skye gets a nerf to Preparation and nothing else.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Started playing this on the PS4, pretty decent so far, been having a lot of fun as most of the champs, with Ashe, Torvald, Androxus, and Trya being my favorites.

Is Buck considered terrible in most circles, I can't tell if it's me or him, he just seems to have no damage, and kind of a lame kit? Is there a decent list of who is considered "the best" at stuff, I'll still play with who I like, but it feels like certain characters are just outclassed by others, Like Fernando seems really lame next to Ashe?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Buck tends to be bad because his leap has a long cd, a big hitbox and his shotgun needs you to headshot and be practically hugging your target to deal significant damage.

The best tend to be:
Androxus as top flanker for him having a shield, an omnidirectional dash with 3 charges, a hitscan revolver that does 600 damage a shot with 900 damage for headshots, and an aoe teamwipe ultimate that deals 4000 damage. He also has a passive that allows him to float in the air, so it helps you keep a steady aim on people when you're flaying and increases your air time.

Drogoz, Bomb King, Sha Lin, Cassie,
Damage pip and viktor as damage. Typically because they can output alot of damage while also being incredibly mobile and hard to hit.

Frontliners are Makoa and Inara. Makoa because he has a kill secure hook, a dome shield, a spin dash and ultimate that grants him a ton of hp and can clear off capture points. Inara because she has a ton of damage reduction skills and a wall that can be used to block off passages and ultimates. With a healer this makes Inara ridiculously hard to take down.

Side tanks are typically used to support the main tanks like Ruckus who is basically an attack helicopter, Barik who has a shot gun and turrets, and Ash who has a ton of knockback skills and an ultimate that makes her immortal for x seconds.

Supports right now are Seris for having the best single target healing, a good escape and sustain, and an ultimate like Zarya's that pulls everyone into one place. Another is Mal Dhamba who has a projectile stun when he reloads, a hitscan right click heal, a gourd that does heals your team and harms your enemies, a dash that gives you invulnerability frames and an ultimate that makes everyone run away from the cart and capture point.

This is by far not a comprehensive list but these are usually the heroes I see that are played most.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Buck is probably the 3rd or 4th best flank after androxus and evie. You should be using the bounce house legendary, jump in, do some damage, pop your self heal, and then jump out.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sophism posted:

Lemme tell you, it is. You can counter her with Inara, and or Grohk. But if you do not have these two on your team, and you intend to cap the point, then I hope you are ready to blow all your cash on CC.

foutre posted:

Hey, another new player here. As an alternative to video guides, are there good text guides for basic loadouts for each character? I've just been looking at the leaderboards and seeing what's popular but that can be kind of a slog.

Check out Joshino on youtube. He has several videos where he explains champions, loadouts and metagame stuff. Also not very obnoxious by youtube standards. Worth checking out!

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 30, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Seconding the Joshino recommendation, on one video where he lambasts HiRez for continuously increasing the grind he went through the trouble and actually researched up on how FTP models made their money and was genuinely surprised that HiRez's way was not a common practice nor the most profitable.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sounds really interesting, thanks. I'll check him out! On a more specific note, is there a favorite Barik card? It seems like the shotgun one would do wonders for his dps, but maybe that's the wrong instinct.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Watch Bird's weekly decks videos - I think he is on YouTube as omgimabird or omgitsabird. Goood overviews for each character of the meta loadout.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

foutre posted:

Sounds really interesting, thanks. I'll check him out! On a more specific note, is there a favorite Barik card? It seems like the shotgun one would do wonders for his dps, but maybe that's the wrong instinct.

Architronics is Barik's only good card. Fortify is useless since Barik's shield is fragile and has a 15 second cooldown that starts after the shield breaks. And Blunderbuss is not using Barik's turrets. With Architronics you get turrets with lower cd, 20% more damage and autoaim. Basically these turrets will never miss and because they aren't loud, you can deal alot of damage to enemies and they won't even notice until it's too late. Plus your turret has cards that heal you and the Turret so you get a lot of self sustain. OB 53 also made it so your shotgun does extra damage far away so you'll have more consistent damage across all ranges.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Probably not going to be my new damage main:

But I'll give her a few games, see how she plays

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Her kit looks really boring and uninspired. Which is a shame because I adore her weapon design and animations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sophism posted:

Her kit looks really boring and uninspired. Which is a shame because I adore her weapon design and animations.

Yeah she strikes me as "Cassie, but with a little more agility and a little less damage" which is an adequate role for a Paladins character, but it's not going to be fun

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

She's giving me Zhin vibes, a hero that I'll probably like but is going to require Inara tier buffing to get anywhere close to viable and interesting.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I see the latest patch nerfed Torvald, looks like he's still viable, but a lot more killable.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sophism posted:

Couldn't agree more. IMHO The design of every hero they released lately have been so boring and cookie cutter.

Anora posted:

I see the latest patch nerfed Torvald, looks like he's still viable, but a lot more killable.

Torvald is no longer the unkillable powerhouse he used to be, but yeah he is still viable. He needs proper medic support to be of any use at all though.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 8, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Anora posted:

So, I saw a tier list from Bird iirc for ob 52(?) that i thought put Torvald at like B tier. He always seemed decent when I saw him, and people ran him a lot, but I assumed it was just a "things are viable at low levels that are bad at high levels" thing. Was he actually pretty strong?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

foutre posted:

So, I saw a tier list from Bird iirc for ob 52(?) that i thought put Torvald at like B tier. He always seemed decent when I saw him, and people ran him a lot, but I assumed it was just a "things are viable at low levels that are bad at high levels" thing. Was he actually pretty strong?
He was very dependent on two things; the enemy team being too dumb to buy wrecker and an open map so he can use his Hyperbeam and protection without things blocking his los.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

She may be pure gun, but her gun is great. She is really really fun to play. First damage champion I've looked forward to since Tyra maybe.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

She may be pure gun, but her gun is great. She is really really fun to play. First damage champion I've looked forward to since Tyra maybe.

Which legendary would you recommend on her? Precision makes it so you almost never have to reload ammo, Eminence seems good on narrow maps to pierce multiple enemies and Alacrity just seems good on a "I dismount literally everyone at once" basis. Also should I focus more on body shots or headshots? 200 more damage for a headshot seems kind of meh to me.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Annointed posted:

w
Which legendary would you recommend on her? Precision makes it so you almost never have to reload ammo, Eminence seems good on narrow maps to pierce multiple enemies and Alacrity just seems good on a "I dismount literally everyone at once" basis. Also should I focus more on body shots or headshots? 200 more damage for a headshot seems kind of meh to me.

I haven't gotten enough play with her yet to really decide, they all seem viable. I'm currently running Precision.

What I want to try right now is Alacrity with Swift Jade IV. If you have 3 targets and swift jade IV you can chain together dash -> right click -> dash for 1200 damage to anything you can see.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

I haven't gotten enough play with her yet to really decide, they all seem viable. I'm currently running Precision.

What I want to try right now is Alacrity with Swift Jade IV. If you have 3 targets and swift jade IV you can chain together dash -> right click -> dash for 1200 damage to anything you can see.

That sounds awesome. I can't wait to play her when she's officially released. I play almost nothing but frontliners so she would be a welcome Reprieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The dreamhack Valencia lan has been going on and it's been pretty crazy. China and NA are in the finals tomorrow. Literally every lan before this has been EU vs EU in the finals. China plays some weird comps with buck, ying and Torvald and it's throwing everyone off. It helps that they're also a really good team.