Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Badger of Basra posted:

Hi thread, I own a Peggy sofa. I bought it two months or so before all the posts about it came out :suicide:

i hadn't heard about this so i'm just now catching up but like that doesn't look all that comfortable even in the product picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

No kidding.

-Super-recessed back (I know it's a popular couch style for some godforsaken reason, but I hate it)
-Arms look hard as rocks
-Cushions don't look much softer

Even the cheapass Ikea couches look more comfortable than this poo poo.

e: Depending on when you bought it, you might be able to get a refund, Badger of Basra.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 7, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Haifisch posted:

No kidding.

-Super-recessed back (I know it's a popular couch style for some godforsaken reason, but I hate it)
-Arms look hard as rocks
-Cushions don't look much softer

Even the cheapass Ikea couches look more comfortable than this poo poo.

e: Depending on when you bought it, you might be able to get a refund, Badger of Basra.

I emailed them and I can get a refund on it if something's wrong with it. Nothing is wrong with it yet

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haifisch posted:

-Arms look hard as rocks

that's what i hate about it, the back looks so short and so far back

the arms probably aren't that bad, i have a different sofa from a similar-tier place and they're way softer than they look

Badger of Basra posted:

I emailed them and I can get a refund on it if something's wrong with it. Nothing is wrong with it yet

time to slide around on it until all the buttons come off

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tin ceilings look great and are definitely popular right now. I like them in homes -- it's not super unusual in New York apartments from that period -- but I can't stand them in restaurants or other public spaces. You have to consider acoustics, and the noise levels end up being ridiculous.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Another team attacked some perfectly good night tables with black spraypaint and didn't seal it, so it'll always be faintly sticky. Good job, guys.
You don't have to use a separate sealant with spraypaint anymore. I've done a bunch of stuff (nothing that could've been nicer without paint!), and none of it's been sticky even in the grossest weather. Technology!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

Tin ceilings look great and are definitely popular right now. I like them in homes -- it's not super unusual in New York apartments from that period -- but I can't stand them in restaurants or other public spaces. You have to consider acoustics, and the noise levels end up being ridiculous.

You don't have to use a separate sealant with spraypaint anymore. I've done a bunch of stuff (nothing that could've been nicer without paint!), and none of it's been sticky even in the grossest weather. Technology!

Good to know! Now to neon up some antiques...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Spraypaint has come a long way over the years, spraypaint nozzles have not :(

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Spraypaint has come a long way over the years, spraypaint nozzles have not :(

You can actually get all kinds of aftermarket nozzles now thanks to the street art industry.

http://artprimo.com/catalog/art_primo_caps-101

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have ceiling wallpaper with a gentle texture pattern that I chose because it reminded me of tin ceilings. I should have put it in more rooms, it's subtle and doesn't clash with other textures like I expected.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Oh wow, that's gorgeous. Do you remember the maker?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Here's a house for sale that's pretty special. like someone saw a year's worth of Country Living and said "yes, I want that!"

Exposed brick, shiplap and drywall in the living room.

Let's put postcards in 18x18 frames with giant mattes around them and block half with the tv.

Let's use whole peanuts in a wooden bowl as a centerpiece.

Rolling doors that don't open all the way that you have to move to get to the light switch.

Let's decorate with San Pellegrino.

Horse statue in front of cabinet on top of fridge

Let's put The Help quotes on our pillows.

Black wallplates with white switches.

Grow old along with me the best is yet to come.

Louis Vuitton night stands?

Welcome guests towels in the bottom drawer

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
lmao the decor is so bad they had to add listing photos before it was ruined, which is so much better because there isn't all. that. poo poo.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
What an astoundingly ugly house!!

I love this, it's like they went to loving Logan's Roadhouse and were like "wow I love the effect that thousands of discarded peanut shells on the floor gives you, I can't wait to replicate that in my actual home!"

This is loving killing me. Look at all those lamps!

Most offensive parts of this house:
Everything is white/grey/offwhite/brown and it's gross and bland I can't believe anyone voluntarily wants to live in an oatmeal house.
It's so loving crowded!! There's so much poo poo everywhere, not just in the decor but there's a ton of superfluous chairs and tables like this house is set up for 3x the number of people that can actually be inside it. There's also no loving available counter space in the kitchen, everything has tchotchkes all over it.
Those no-door cabinets are hideous, too. Just get glass doors, otherwise it looks like you ran out of money for cabinets or the doors were so crap they fell off.
It would be a really cute little house without all that poo poo in it.

OH poo poo there's pictures from before a Better Homes and Gardens crazed maniac was let in:

Look how normal and livable it looks!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
much like farmers only, city folk just don't get it

as a cityliver I confirm

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Here's a house for sale that's pretty special. like someone saw a year's worth of Country Living and said "yes, I want that!"

Exposed brick, shiplap and drywall in the living room.

Let's put postcards in 18x18 frames with giant mattes around them and block half with the tv.

Let's use whole peanuts in a wooden bowl as a centerpiece.

Rolling doors that don't open all the way that you have to move to get to the light switch.

Let's decorate with San Pellegrino.

Horse statue in front of cabinet on top of fridge

Let's put The Help quotes on our pillows.

Black wallplates with white switches.

Grow old along with me the best is yet to come.

Louis Vuitton night stands?

Welcome guests towels in the bottom drawer

Two dining rooms!

For a second I thought it was some sort of haunted mirror, but nope, two dining rooms. Not a breakfast nook. Two full six-seater dining tables. Can't decide which old time dining set to buy? Get two!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
^^ There seems to be a strange obsession on HGTV with 'formal dining rooms' which is just a way to say they want a big fancy table that they will eat at twice a year and otherwise will just take up space and be a shelf. Every loving house hunters I watch (I watch it a lot at work, where I don't have a choice in what's on tv) they mention wanting a formal dining room. You people are just going to eat in front of the tv like everyone else, don't kid yourself.

Those lovely rolling doors are a crime, too. Garbage. They had a nice open arch and they ruined it, and the living room feels way more claustrophobic because of it. Also they're ugly and so is the hardware around them. And there's light switches on the right side that apparently can only be operated when the right side of the door is completely shut.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 8, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

^^ There seems to be a strange obsession on HGTV with 'formal dining rooms' which is just a way to say they want a big fancy table that they will eat at twice a year and otherwise will just take up space and be a shelf. Every loving house hunters I watch (I watch it a lot at work, where I don't have a choice in what's on tv) they mention wanting a formal dining room. You people are just going to eat in front of the tv like everyone else, don't kid yourself.
I wonder how much of this is from people wanting huge houses, buying them, then realizing trying to use all that space effectively is a pain in the rear end(unless you have 10 kids, but then you have other problems). So you get poo poo like formal dining rooms and bathtub-only bathrooms to use up some of the space. You only use it once or twice a year, but at least you're using it for something! :downs:

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
If Granite countertops are out... what is in then? Or does granite counter tops mean literal granite and all the other natural stones are still fine?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Facebook Aunt posted:

Two dining rooms!

For a second I thought it was some sort of haunted mirror, but nope, two dining rooms. Not a breakfast nook. Two full six-seater dining tables. Can't decide which old time dining set to buy? Get two!

I just noticed the chesterfield sofas are all a different color/texture/fabric.

And you should only have ONE and MAYBE a side chair that matches.

Omg they took away counter space by removing the island and you can't even cook in the kitchen? Instead there is another dining set?!

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 8, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

elise the great posted:

Oh wow, that's gorgeous. Do you remember the maker?

All our wallpaper is by Sangetsu. Sorry idk if they have a US partner. I'm also very happy I put this sparkley pale green in the library and stairwell.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheese eats mouse posted:

Omg they took away counter space by removing the island and you can't even cook in the kitchen? Instead there is another dining set?!

Yes, that's exactly what they did. They had an island that could seat 4, but they took it out to add another 6 seat dining set. Maybe they have a lot of 12 person dinner parties?

Not being able to cook in the kitchen isn't a problem. They also took off the cupboard doors so they could show off their novelty dishes.

Look at them. Just look at them. Those dishes have clearly never been used. Everything in this kitchen is merely for show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Words, words on everything.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, that's exactly what they did. They had an island that could seat 4, but they took it out to add another 6 seat dining set. Maybe they have a lot of 12 person dinner parties?

Not being able to cook in the kitchen isn't a problem. They also took off the cupboard doors so they could show off their novelty dishes.

Look at them. Just look at them. Those dishes have clearly never been used. Everything in this kitchen is merely for show.

I'm the pure lard

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So if granite is "out", what's in? I like Carrara but it's expensive as all hell and I don't want to have to rip it up in 10 years.

Maybe stainless since it's fairly cheap and fits with the industrial loft thing? Then change it later when it becomes all bourgeoisie?

Is there a countertop material that's perpetually fine to have?

I'm the pure lard

I'm the E. Butte

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Corian in nondescript colors imo, preferably just in a flat color

e: im jealous of how easy to clean this must be:

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 8, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My bff got an acrylic sink & countertop like that and the sink is already stained af after five years. Our stainless sink & countertop still looks good after twenty years with spot scrubs with a kitchen eraser and periodic steam cleaning.

Edit: VVV We have something just called a "kitchen panel" that's also used for walls in nice public restrooms. It's affordable, fireproof, has lots of color choices and completely smooth for easy wiping and suckers and 3M adhesive hooks. I'll add vinyl stickers when I get bored of white.

Definitely not this gorgeous metallic paneling
http://fasadeideas.com/backsplash/

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 8, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not that I'll ever own a bathroom or kitchen I could ever remodel, but what are the best current materials for just being pleasing to maintain, ie not scratching to gently caress to staining and being easy to clean?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

Not that I'll ever own a bathroom or kitchen I could ever remodel, but what are the best current materials for just being pleasing to maintain, ie not scratching to gently caress to staining and being easy to clean?

This, but also being heat resistant like granite. I like being able to take pans out of the oven and literally set them straight on the counter.

vvv I like this post. It is good.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 8, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IMO stone is fine, it's just the middle class default rather than an upper class luxury now.

In the long long ago most average people had plain hardwood floors. Dirt floors were for poor people, softwood gets all marked up, tile was expensive and slippery, and woven carpeting was mostly confined to area rugs due to cost. So, hardwood was the middle class option.

Then in the post WWII period machine made tufted carpeting burst onto the scene in vibrant colors. Nylon was replacing wool. It was now in reach for a successful middle class family to have wall-to-wall carpet. :wow: You've made it. The Joneses are keeping up with you! Wall-to-wall carpet in the bathroom? Hell, yeah!

Through the 60s and 70s carpeting just kept getting cheaper. A couple guys can roll out carpet and lino for a whole house in just a day or two. At the same time, labor intensive hardwood was becoming more expensive, By the 80's even cheap apartments had wall-to-wall carpeting.

Now you get people in old houses are tearing up their carpeting and lino to find the hardwood underneath and try to save it. Original hardwood floors have become a sign of class and luxury, not a sign of poverty.

Same thing with stone countertops. In the 80s it was hella expensive. Over time more places are producing it, overseas shipping in general has become cheaper, and there are even engineered stone options. Any color or texture you want. Still more expensive than laminate, but not a luxury good. You no longer get bragging rights from stone countertops, but it's nothing to be embarrassed by, and probably won't be in the foreseeable future. It's just . . . normal.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

I think this is super individual. I agree two dining rooms makes almost no sense, but growing up we always ate dinner in the dining room. I never ate with the TV on until after I moved out. My parents were obviously pretty big on family dinners, but I don't think they were/are the only ones.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

IMO stone is fine, it's just the middle class default rather than an upper class luxury now.

In the long long ago most average people had plain hardwood floors. Dirt floors were for poor people, softwood gets all marked up, tile was expensive and slippery, and woven carpeting was mostly confined to area rugs due to cost. So, hardwood was the middle class option.

Then in the post WWII period machine made tufted carpeting burst onto the scene in vibrant colors. Nylon was replacing wool. It was now in reach for a successful middle class family to have wall-to-wall carpet. :wow: You've made it. The Joneses are keeping up with you! Wall-to-wall carpet in the bathroom? Hell, yeah!

Through the 60s and 70s carpeting just kept getting cheaper. A couple guys can roll out carpet and lino for a whole house in just a day or two. At the same time, labor intensive hardwood was becoming more expensive, By the 80's even cheap apartments had wall-to-wall carpeting.

Now you get people in old houses are tearing up their carpeting and lino to find the hardwood underneath and try to save it. Original hardwood floors have become a sign of class and luxury, not a sign of poverty.

Same thing with stone countertops. In the 80s it was hella expensive. Over time more places are producing it, overseas shipping in general has become cheaper, and there are even engineered stone options. Any color or texture you want. Still more expensive than laminate, but not a luxury good. You no longer get bragging rights from stone countertops, but it's nothing to be embarrassed by, and probably won't be in the foreseeable future. It's just . . . normal.

Oh, whew. We're doing a tip-to-toenails kitchen renovation in a few months. I'll probably pop in here asking for suggestions that meld good sense with what we like. But I definitely like the look of stone countertops. My mom has laminate that looks like stone and I can already see the edges and where it's wearing and peeling after only a few years.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I think this is super individual. I agree two dining rooms makes almost no sense, but growing up we always ate dinner in the dining room. I never ate with the TV on until after I moved out. My parents were obviously pretty big on family dinners, but I don't think they were/are the only ones.

My mother was for serious pretentious when it came to rooms. We had a "dining room" (big dark-stained table used on christmas-like occasions only), a "lounge" not a living room, and the room off the kitchen that we actually ate in daily while watching TV was the "morning room".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are there stone countertops that have almost no texture to them? More like a solid colour?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Are there stone countertops that have almost no texture to them? More like a solid colour?

Soapstone! My personal favorite. There are options that have more veining, but you can get pretty close to a flat black or gray too.

If that's too dark for you you could look into white quartz:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Soapstone! My personal favorite. There are options that have more veining, but you can get pretty close to a flat black or gray too.

This one is so loving fantastic in a number of ways. My only complaint is the front of that sink, I don't know what you call that, like farmhouse or something? Where there's a big lip hanging down the front instead of some cabinet facade. I don't like that. But that's just a personal preference. Everything else going on here though, A+.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

This one is so loving fantastic in a number of ways. My only complaint is the front of that sink, I don't know what you call that, like farmhouse or something? Where there's a big lip hanging down the front instead of some cabinet facade. I don't like that. But that's just a personal preference. Everything else going on here though, A+.

I agree, I hate that kind of sink, and I don't think it matches that kitchen at all.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are tile countertops a thing? We had one in my mom's house that I really liked but she replaced it with laminate.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nothing exciting about laminate but a sheet of unfinished B-grade plywood would be superior to tiled countertops.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That solid black soapstone is a flashback to every high school science class.

Tile is a special pain because grout lines suck to clean. Wherever you want tile, I always want to go as big as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

That solid black soapstone is a flashback to every high school science class.

That's exactly what I like about it. Welcome to my kitchen laboratory, today we are making frozen pizza :science: