Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Gammatron 64 posted:

That Chemical Plant remix is awesome and reminds me of Stardust Speedway Bad Future a lot. Also the new gimmicks are cool as hell, especially when you bounce on that jelly stuff. That's rad. And the DNA thing. That level looks so drat fun.

It's kinda funny that half of the levels are taken from previous Sonic games, but they somehow still feel more fresh, new and interesting than Sonic 4. gently caress Sonic 4. So hard.

My same friend who hates Sonic CD with a passion also says Sonic 4 is not bad and is a better game. I think he must say that to piss me off.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 is a supreme dumpster fire that looks bad and plays awfully and sounds garbage.

Episode 2 still sounds bad, and still isn't really great, but it's better than the tire fire that is Episode 1. Sonic CD is still way better than Sonic 4, even though it's still a weird game for a lot of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's kinda funny that half of the levels are taken from previous Sonic games, but they somehow still feel more fresh, new and interesting than Sonic 4. gently caress Sonic 4. So hard.

Sonic 4, just like Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, does not exist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget if this has been mentioned before but just to be clear, is Sonic Mania getting a retail release or is it a download-only title?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The special edition comes with a download code so it is probably digital only.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

XavierGenisi posted:

Sonic 4 Episode 1 is a supreme dumpster fire that looks bad and plays awfully and sounds garbage.

Episode 2 still sounds bad, and still isn't really great, but it's better than the tire fire that is Episode 1. Sonic CD is still way better than Sonic 4, even though it's still a weird game for a lot of reasons.

To be fair, he's also a weird dude who probably has had too much Internet exposure and is only capable of either loving something or hating it and says that anyone who likes Majora's Mask and Metal Gear Solid 2/4 is a garbage person because insanity I guess

(All of those games are pretty flawed but none of them are seriously all that bad come on)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Andre Banzai posted:

Sonic 4, just like Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, does not exist.

The non-theatrical cuts of Alien 3 are alright though

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It looks cool but eh I'd rather have seen something not done in Generations. This was disappointment I expected, though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm not watching the Chemical Plant vids because I want more surprises in the game itself. This sucks though so I don't recommend it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Overbite posted:

The non-theatrical cuts of Alien 3 are alright though

I thought the ending to Alien 3 where Ridley has to sacrifice herself was pretty cool. Sadly the rest of the movie was kinda lame.

I haven't even bothered to see that new one that just came out, I just don't even care. Alien and Aliens are the only ones you gotta see.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

Sonic 4 Episode 2... at least doesn't feel like a sacrilegious use of the name "Sonic 4". It's not great but it doesn't disgust me, it's below average but not abysmal. I'd put it above Advance 2.

I was also really disappointed to hear they were rolling with Chemical Plant again but I'm pleasantly surprised with how they freshened it up. Chemical Plant was already one of Generations's best levels so I didn't think they'd have any room to make it feel new again, but they did so really well. I think the "Act 1 is an homage, Act 2 is a remix" format works really well from what we've seen so far.

I do hope there's another Sonic 2 stage though... Would it be reasonable to expect something like 2 stages from each of the 5 classic titles, 5 new stages for all the Heavies and a 6th new final stage (with maybe a 7th for the Super battle)? Sonic 3&K had 11 full stages combined with 2 one act stages and a final boss zone, so 16 seems about right to me for Mania.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I liked the 69 attack in Sonic 4 Vol. 2.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I haven't even bothered to see that new one that just came out, I just don't even care. Alien and Aliens are the only ones you gotta see.
It's visually stunning with a plot so dumb and so filled with plotholes it many Sonic 06 look well written. It's basically a COD game, go from setpiece to setpiece, nonsense happens along the way.

Heran Bago posted:

I'm not watching the Chemical Plant vids because I want more surprises in the game itself. This sucks though so I don't recommend it.
I told myself the cut off point for all Sonic news, for me, will be June 15th. Then I'll unsub the thread and turn Sonic off in my feed.

I'm hoping I completely forget Mania is coming out by August and it shows up on my door completely blowing my mind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nerdbot posted:

Sonic 4 Episode 2... at least doesn't feel like a sacrilegious use of the name "Sonic 4". It's not great but it doesn't disgust me, it's below average but not abysmal. I'd put it above Advance 2.

Yeah, while not great Sonic 4 Episode 2 at least feels more like a sequel to me (with more original enemies and bosses). In fact, you probably could ignore the first one entirely and just play that.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

nerdbot posted:

I do hope there's another Sonic 2 stage though... Would it be reasonable to expect something like 2 stages from each of the 5 classic titles, 5 new stages for all the Heavies and a 6th new final stage (with maybe a 7th for the Super battle)? Sonic 3&K had 11 full stages combined with 2 one act stages and a final boss zone, so 16 seems about right to me for Mania.

I think that would be perfectly reasonable and that's about the number I'm expecting to be honest. I think it would still *feel* kinda short because we'd have seen most of the classic levels, but it would be a fair amount of levels.

They have hinted at the ratio of 60% classic to 40% new somewhere, haven't they?

So 10 classic levels being our 60%, that would give us about the number 6 (6,667...) for new levels. The math would add up.

Now they have almost revealed one single level for each classic game now: Green Hill (S1), Chemical Plant (S2), Stardust Speedway (SCD), *MISSING* (S3), Flying Battery (S&K). I am going to predict that they'll reveal Hydrocity or Ice Cap next month. That way, they'd still keep another level of each classic game a secret until launch, while keeping the hype up. If this happens, it'd be more evidence for the 16 levels theory.

Does that make sense or am I insane?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I swear they went from 12 stages to 10 but good luck digging through mania news. Kinda not too excited to dig up information on an argument I want to lose.

Give me all the stages. ALL OF THEM.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Larryb posted:

Yeah, while not great Sonic 4 Episode 2 at least feels more like a sequel to me (with more original enemies and bosses). In fact, you probably could ignore the first one entirely and just play that.

The best part of Episode 2 is the end of the first zone where it plays on your expectations from Episode 1 by making it look like they're rehashing yet another old boss (Aquatic Ruin in this case) and then bam, nope, giant plant robot out of nowhere.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I swear they went from 12 stages to 10

This would unfortunately make a lot of sense too. :-(

EDIT: They have also stated that this game would be longer than Generations. Would 10 Mania levels, from what we've seen so far, make a longer game than Generations?

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 8, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think Generations is counted at 9, which is the metric I imagine they're using.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

His game had better run at 60fps in every platform. If it comes out and they're like "lmao only 60fps on PS4 pro" I'm gonna be pissed.

Would buy a PS4 Pro in a heart beat for Mania alone.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I think Generations is counted at 9, which is the metric I imagine they're using.

drat that would suck a whole lot if that's the metric. That would make the game about the size of S&K.

An average longplay of Generations on Youtube is about 2hs 20 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_nnwlmjws

While the average length of a Sonic 3 & Knuckles longplay goes from 2 to 3 hours. So I'm guessing we're looking at about 10 levels for SM, actually. That makes more sense. Bummer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to blame you guys for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RHdrmZsNs0

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ha ha get it because they both have furries and a negative reputation on the internet

The height of comedy really

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

That Chemical Plant remix is awesome and reminds me of Stardust Speedway Bad Future a lot.

That siren sound sample owns so much

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andre Banzai posted:

drat that would suck a whole lot if that's the metric. That would make the game about the size of S&K.

An average longplay of Generations on Youtube is about 2hs 20 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_nnwlmjws

While the average length of a Sonic 3 & Knuckles longplay goes from 2 to 3 hours. So I'm guessing we're looking at about 10 levels for SM, actually. That makes more sense. Bummer.

This is a lot of assumptions being chained together

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ha ha get it because they both have furries and a negative reputation on the internet

I actually think it's on to something. Like the devs saw all the Sonic Forces Bubsy memes and slapped that poo poo together in a few months.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nah, is due the jokes about Bubsy being the mysterious new characters for Sonic Forces back on april :v:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Augus posted:

This is a lot of assumptions being chained together

Estimating is educated guesswork. ;-)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Looking it up for ~30 seconds, there aren't many statements about amount of zones that I could find. I could only seem to find this reddit post which speculates 15 zones. It's based off of the silhouettes that we saw early on of certain bosses + Iizuka saying the game will mostly be Classic levels. Sounds like a decent guess to me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SONIC

MANIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Ventana posted:

Looking it up for ~30 seconds, there aren't many statements about amount of zones that I could find. I could only seem to find this reddit post which speculates 15 zones. It's based off of the silhouettes that we saw early on of certain bosses + Iizuka saying the game will mostly be Classic levels. Sounds like a decent guess to me.

Hey, that's pretty aligned with my original estimate here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784657&pagenumber=96#post473180725

Not sure if that's just wishful thinking, but that would be a good number for me!

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nah, is due the jokes about Bubsy being the mysterious new characters for Sonic Forces back on april :v:

I will not apologize

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CJacobs...it is calling you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As I've similarly said elsewhere on the forum: I hope the developers of the new Bubsy game suffer a plague of locusts. I can't wait to stream it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Oh, no... nobody wanted this. Accolade, please, you really don't have bring Bubsy back. Please. We were doing so well without him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just think

Even this will probably be better than Mighty No. 9.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Just think

Even this will probably be better than Mighty No. 9.

It's at least in development, which is further than the Boogerman remake got, a game even more forgotten than Bubsy.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
So it looks like the GHZ boss is going to be Death Egg Robot.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh, no... nobody wanted this. Accolade, please, you really don't have bring Bubsy back. Please. We were doing so well without him.
The developers are black forest games or whatever, who brought back the loving Giana sisters. Look that poo poo up and tell me more people remember them than Bubsy.

Hell it looks like a loving reskin of Giana Sisters.

In case it isn't clear, Giana Sister is like... Sonic 4 level fun. An ocean of mediocre.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

The developers are black forest games or whatever, who brought back the loving Giana sisters. Look that poo poo up and tell me more people remember them than Bubsy.

Gladly. Giana Sisters were apparently actually really big in parts of Europe despite their weird history, especially since Nintendo was less successful over there. People legitimately really cared about Giana Sisters and bringing them back in a less-ripoffy way makes sense. Bubsy is a meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I said 'more people remember' not 'more people have positive memories of'. Actually just to correct myself, I mean the remake is mediocre. I actually played and enjoyed the original back on my older cousin's machine of who knows what it was when I was like 5.

Bubsy is iconic. That he's an icon of an army of failure platforming mascots, well, people still remember him.