Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've gone back to watching Person of Interest, because I was already a season and a half in and I need a show I can watch that I'm not invested in...

It still feels really bad. It reminds me of like... John Doe.

But as I've said before, the biggest problem is Jim Caveziel being less interesting than a cardboard standup.

It doesn't matter if it's part of the oremis, or if there's a story reason why he's so detached... It's not interesting to watch.

It is nice that he's able to perform technically impressive fifht choreography.

But basically Finch and the two detective side characters are much more interesting than any of the sexy main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just skip past scenes without Amy Acker, the dog, or Sarah Shahi.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The dog is like, the 4th best character.

Honestly, being on s2e16 right now, I feel like if this had been the first season, the show would already be a lot stronger.

Like I the episodicnolots.of thsinshow are so by the boom.I could write a script to generate plots for this show. The only value is in the glacially-paced character development and humor, which is insanely hit or miss.

The action is pretty good on a technical level, but it's hard to be invested in it because it's such a formulaic part of rote plot.

Like "Oh, John finds himself in a bar with the missunderstood victim and 3 thugs bent on teaching them a lesson! I wonder what will happen!" Will John escape before the cops show up? I'm betting the man in the suit is already there! If he got delayed, try to stall them! I wonder if some will get shot in the leg... Will there be a deadpan one liner? Like the worst thing that happens to John is that someone throws a drink in his face, and then after he smashes a beer stein on their head, he looks as the the missunderstood victim and says "I guess drinks were on me"

Edit: someone just called a shotgun a scatter-gun in all earnestness in 2012.

Edit2: Like, this is probably the best episode of the show so far, and it primarily features characters that were introduced this episode and John is barely in it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 8, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
gently caress yes. Cinemax's martial arts drama from the Banshee guys is going to series.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/06/warrior-19th-century-crime-drama.html

(It's set in America, before anyone gets any "Marco Polo but without the white people" vibes.)

Hoon Lee better be in this.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Snak posted:

Like I the episodicnolots.of thsinshow are so by the boom.

Did you have a stroke there? Are you okay? :ohdear:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's been a long time comin'

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Couch Chat: Episodicnolots.of thsinshow are so by the boom.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't really recommend watching a standalone episode out of order, though. The show does a very good job of building the characterization of the cast throughout the series, and some of the best moments of the standalone episodes rely on their character traits.
Shinichirō Watanabe is really good at doing this in all his works; its probably why his stuff is probably the most accessible to Westerners.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The crime of bad opinions on Person of Interest has killed Snak. Rest In Peace

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Life can come at you fast.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Regy Rusty posted:

The crime of bad opinions on Person of Interest has killed Snak. Rest In Peace

I knew he was doomed when he said Bear was only the 4th best character.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

That's not how you watch Cowboy Bebop dammit.

wait

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

McSpanky posted:

That's not how you watch Cowboy Bebop dammit.

wait

Speaking of which, Acker would make a drat good Faye Valentine if you write her as older than she is in the cartoon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I clearly said that the episodic plots of this show are so by the book.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
"clearly"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

I like the British version of Wallander. Kenneth Branagh plays a depressed swedish detective and life shits on him in every single episode. It's like Sherlock in how each season is 3x90 minute movies. Tom Hiddleston plays a detective in the first season.

It is integral for a detective serial that the main character has some shtick. Sometimes the guy's a scatterbrain, sometimes they're a jerk, sometimes they're corrupt and solving the crime just happens to align with what gets him kickbacks. Wallander's thing is that he CARES. SO. MUCH. Expect lots of tortured staring out at the moors or whatever the Swedish equivalent is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What's Midsomer Murder's gimmick?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

What's Midsomer Murder's gimmick?

Sheer body count. It's not so much a whodunnit as a who's left.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mu Zeta posted:

I skipped past any scenes with Amy Acker. She was just awful.

muscles like this! posted:

Fox has decided that they don't want to wait until Corey Hawkins is done doing whatever and has canceled 24: Legacy. Although they have said they're interested in continuing to do 24, just now as an anthology.

I honestly felt that's what they should have done with 24 in the first place. Get a name actor to be the lead each season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

gently caress yes. Cinemax's martial arts drama from the Banshee guys is going to series.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/06/warrior-19th-century-crime-drama.html

(It's set in America, before anyone gets any "Marco Polo but without the white people" vibes.)

Hoon Lee better be in this.

I hope he just shows up as Job. No explanation given.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

I skipped past any scenes with Amy Acker. She was just awful.

Yeah, I actually misread that post as saying I should skip all scenes with Amy Acker or the dog.

Hence my defense of the dog.

My ranking of the characters, from best to worse, is as follows

Finch
Fusco
Carter
Dog
Tao
Reese

Edit: But for real, the second season has been a lot better.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Popping back in to say that the new Twin Peaks is amazing and the glass box scene is one of the scariest things I've ever seen on television

Also, am I the only one not feeling the new season of Fargo compared to the last two seasons? There's still a lot of good stuff but it feels too self-indulgent and the story isn't compelling enough to make the constant digressions worth it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're definitely not alone, but I like it a lot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm two eps behind on Fargo and I honestly just give zero fucks at all about continuing at this point

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm two eps behind on Fargo and I honestly just give zero fucks at all about continuing at this point

Yeah same. The villain is lame, and the main characters are milquetoast in the bad way, not the good regular way that Fargo characters are. This season has been a huge letdown, I don't think I made it past episode 4.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I would strongly reconsider.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's starting to get really good now but I can't help but feel like all the quirky stylistic choices are just being used to wallpaper over a bland story/cast instead of enhance an already interesting set of characters like season 2 did. The worst offender was that episode in LA, where they spent a full hour on flashbacks and animated sequences to tell a story that goes nowhere and has nothing to do with the rest of the plot.

The more I think about this season, the more disappointed I am. The first half was overly quirky aimless bullshit that goes nowhere and now the second half just seems like a lesser retread of plots the show has already done before.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 8, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I would strongly reconsider.

From what I understand the one great scene in the latest ep has nothing to do with the actual plot of the series or anything so eh.

Also, Thewlis' character is just godawful. Why is 2017 trying to ruin David Thewlis?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

It's starting to get really good now but I can't help but feel like all the quirky stylistic choices are just being used to wallpaper over a bland story/cast instead of enhance an already interesting set of characters like season 2 did. The worst offender was that episode in LA, where they spent a full hour on flashbacks and animated sequences to tell a story that goes nowhere and has nothing to do with the rest of the plot.

The more I think about this season, the more disappointed I am. The first half was overly quirky aimless bullshit that goes nowhere and now the second half just seems like a lesser retread of plots the show has already done before.

I liked that episode, but I also enjoy red herring tangents.

Mac showing up as the beat cop was also funny.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bruceski posted:

It is integral for a detective serial that the main character has some shtick. Sometimes the guy's a scatterbrain, sometimes they're a jerk, sometimes they're corrupt and solving the crime just happens to align with what gets him kickbacks. Wallander's thing is that he CARES. SO. MUCH. Expect lots of tortured staring out at the moors or whatever the Swedish equivalent is.

What show is this? Sounds awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shageletic posted:

What show is this? Sounds awesome.

Uh... something I saw on PBS Mystery years ago, set in Italy I think. Stuck in my head as an example because it was at the same time I saw Wallander. Let me do some digging, see if I can turn up a name.

EDIT: well, that was easier than I thought it would be. It's called Zen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(TV_series) From what I remember there's a kind of detachment to the show that didn't really mesh with me so I may be mis-remembering/representing it. It's a casual corruption, not something gritty out of The Wire.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 8, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I swear, sometimes I'll search for hours trying to find something (I think is) obvious, and sometimes my initial word salad vomit into Google returns "I know EXACTLY what you're talking about."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bruceski posted:

I swear, sometimes I'll search for hours trying to find something (I think is) obvious, and sometimes my initial word salad vomit into Google returns "I know EXACTLY what you're talking about."

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Metropolis posted:

What are the good murder mystery/slow burn crime drama shows other than TD Season 1? I'm gonna check out Harper's Island. I also liked The Shadow Line and some other ones I forget. I was one of the many people who ended up hating The Killing.

Luther is really good. I'm also planning on watching The Fall since I've heard good things about it.

e:

Just googling, there's so many it blows my mind, I haven't seen any of these so maybe other goons can get comment on them. But here's a list of stuff I've seen mentioned elsewhere...

Prime Suspect
Ripper Street
Whitechapel
Broadchurch
Inspector Morse
Inspector Lewis
Poirot
Grantchester
Foyle's War
Inspector George Gently
Waking the Dead
Wire in the Blood
Murdoch Mysteries
Jack Taylor
Taggart

Some of these are older than others, apparently Taggart has been on for 27 freaking seasons. I think we need a British TV thread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fargo S3 has definitely been a clear step down from the first two seasons, which I mostly attribute to the villains being really lame and the standard competent cop character being boring and irrelevant to the point of not even needing to be in the show. Nikki has been the lone bright spot, I like that character a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

-Blackadder- posted:

Some of these are older than others, apparently Taggart has been on for 27 freaking seasons. I think we need a British TV thread.

There is one already.

The ITV has a new adaptation of Maigret starring Rowan Atkinson which I enjoy. It does two episodes a year, but they're an hour and a half each.

(There have been previous adaptations of Maigret, of course, including one from the 1960s and one from the early 90s starring Michael Gambon which is quite well-regarded.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

-Blackadder- posted:

Luther is really good. I'm also planning on watching The Fall since I've heard good things about it.

e:

Just googling, there's so many it blows my mind, I haven't seen any of these so maybe other goons can get comment on them. But here's a list of stuff I've seen mentioned elsewhere...

Prime Suspect
Ripper Street
Whitechapel
Broadchurch
Inspector Morse
Inspector Lewis
Poirot
Grantchester
Foyle's War
Inspector George Gently
Waking the Dead
Wire in the Blood
Murdoch Mysteries
Jack Taylor
Taggart

Add Longmire to that list.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Fargo S3 has definitely been a clear step down from the first two seasons, which I mostly attribute to the villains being really lame and the standard competent cop character being boring and irrelevant to the point of not even needing to be in the show. Nikki has been the lone bright spot, I like that character a lot.

I'll watch Carrie Coon read the dictionary so I don't quite have the same opinion as you, but yeah, this season has been disappointing. I still really like it, but it's not the :tviv: giddiness that I felt with the last two seasons. That last episode though.... :black101: :stare: :krad:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Wheat Loaf posted:

There is one already.

The ITV has a new adaptation of Maigret starring Rowan Atkinson which I enjoy. It does two episodes a year, but they're an hour and a half each.

(There have been previous adaptations of Maigret, of course, including one from the 1960s and one from the early 90s starring Michael Gambon which is quite well-regarded.)

How did I not know this existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Add Longmire to that list.

Longmire is fuckin awesome.

• Locked thread