Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Fargo S3 has definitely been a clear step down from the first two seasons, which I mostly attribute to the villains being really lame and the standard competent cop character being boring and irrelevant to the point of not even needing to be in the show. Nikki has been the lone bright spot, I like that character a lot.

It was pretty funny how after one encounter with Varga's henchmen she was able to completely figure out everything that was happening with Emmit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's standard operating procedure for any Competent Fargo Cop, really.

Anyway you'll never hear me disparage Carrie Coon, it's more that Gloria has thus far been a very ineffectual presence due to a variety of reasons.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks for the mystery reocmmendations guys, there's a ton of these I haven't seen. I also liked Luther and Fargo. Though the first seaosn of Fargo is still my favorite, I liked how it was a bit more grounded than the second season (though it did get pretty cutesy with how severely Minnesotan everything seemed to need to be.) Like others I am lukewarm on the third season but still enjoying watching it.

Also I am one of those people who likes anime but didn't like Cowboy Bebop much. Aside from being a pretty good show it was the first anime to air on Adult Swim, so I think it has a special place in people's hearts because of its popularity there and gets brought up a lot more often than it otherwise would because of that.

Actually, speaking of crime dramas and anime, Monster is a really good one. I don't want to give away any of the plot because I think it is pretty cool to watch unfold but if you like the idea of an intelligent, character-focused crime thriller with a lot of noir elements set in Germany that just so happens to be animated, check it out.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Snak posted:

Longmire is fuckin awesome.

Anybody know if a season 6 is ever coming? I was pleasantly surprised how interesting Longmire was, especially with how it treated relations with the Native American reservation relations and how characters/plot threads would pop up throughout seasons.

Plus, I have a soft spot for any show that makes a cheap Buffalo Bills Super Bowl joke.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LadyPictureShow posted:

Anybody know if a season 6 is ever coming?

Probably this September.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Is Longmire serial or episodic with over-arching plots?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

-Blackadder- posted:

The latter. Like Person of Interest and Justified and such.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

The first season has some week case of the week poo poo, but it does some over-arching by the end of the season. It gets progressively more serialized as it goes on, and seasons 4 and 5 are entirely serialized. Which is, go figure, when it made the move to netflix. But my memory of season 3 is that it was pretty heavily serialized as well.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I vaguely recall a quote, and it's from one of the major animated shows (Futurama, American Dad, whatever else). It was someone talking about whatever prescription meds, and something like "Well, I am feeling pretty enthused, though that may be because of all the Enthusasil I'm on..."

Any ideas?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sbaldrick posted:

How did I not know this existed

It's flown under the radar a bit but I think it's very good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

-Blackadder- posted:

Luther is really good. I'm also planning on watching The Fall since I've heard good things about it.

The first two seasons of The Fall are brilliant. The third season is awful do not watch it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
New Ducktales cast members were announced. You've got Jim Rash playing Gyro Gearloose, Paul F. Tompkins as Gladstone Glander, and Allison Janney as "Glittering" Goldie O'Gilt.

Boy, Ducktales sure loved their "G" names.

Oh, and Character Actress Margo Martindale is playing Ma Beagle because OF COURSE.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Catching up with Fargo, and a character appears to be using Tinder. On a Blackberry. In a series set in 2010.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Catching up with Fargo, and a character appears to be using Tinder. On a Blackberry. In a series set in 2010.

Yeah it was a joke

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.....which bit is the joke there? That seems like a stretch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was deliberately absurd. It's funny.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

.....which bit is the joke there? That seems like a stretch.

I think its like the "What year is it anyway?" joke that has been used a couple of times on Archer.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

There were hot or not apps before tinder, okcupid i know had one for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Myspace was practically a dating site.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Given that every other technology or social media-based moment in the season has been lovely I'm pretty set on believing it's just another example of that tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol people are getting pretty desperate to hate on fargo at this point

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's right, MrA. You got me. It's not at all like I'm not enjoying the season, that it's a huge step down with maybe one decent character and one so terrible and depthless I tune out every time he appears on screen (Varga), and that Hawley's bag of tricks is clearly running out. I'm just desperate to look for reasons to hate it, because......well, I'm not sure what your assertion is exactly. Other than 'dumb' obv

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's a lot of rape and sexual abuse in the new season of Orange is the New Black. :stare:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah it was a joke

Was tinder not a thing in 2010? Blackberries still were. IDGI.

MiddleOne posted:

There's a lot of rape and sexual abuse in the new season of Orange is the New Black. :stare:

Worse than the mouse? Is the show just trying to be shocking now? I was really fatigued with it by the end of last season and haven't bothered with this one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IRQ posted:

Worse than the mouse? Is the show just trying to be shocking now? I was really fatigued with it by the end of last season and haven't bothered with this one.

Not sure. It's played for laughs at the beginning of the season and then drama towards the end. It feels more random than anything.

It's worth saying that this season has a really novel premise if you're on the edge about watching though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Myspace was practically a dating site.

This was true for me. Girls swooned over my CSS.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

The first two seasons of The Fall are brilliant. The third season is awful do not watch it.

The third season is weird. The story basically ends with S2, and S3 is a long, slow epilogue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

No, not worse.

There's some pretty sad and terrible stuff that happens this season, but it's nowhere as near as upsetting as last season. For which I'm glad -- I don't think I could do another season as bleak as the fourth, not for a long time at least. The fourth is still probably my favourite season though -- I think this season's pretty average for the show (so high quality stuff).

(The mental illness stuff continues to be stomach churning.)

MiddleOne posted:

Not sure. It's played for laughs at the beginning of the season and then drama towards the end. It feels more random than anything.

(full season spoilers)

You mean the guards? If so, I don't really see it the same way.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Arist posted:

lol people are getting pretty desperate to hate on fargo at this point

I was actually very interested in liking Fargo this year (the first two seasons are great), but unfortunately the plot and characters this season made that impossible!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hot take: This season of Fargo is easily the best one and S2 is the worst by a country mile.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hot take: This season of Fargo is easily the best one and S2 is the worst by a country mile.

I'd be genuinely curious to hear your reasoning. I ranked S1 higher than True Detective that year, and while S2 was a step down it was still engaging and fun. This season was so aggressively dull that I turned off an episode midway through and never felt tempted to go back.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'll go for the hat trick and say season 2 is the best but this is way better than season 1

For my reasoning it comes down to that I really disliked watching Lorne Malvo. He didn't do it for me at all. Lester started off entertaining but I got sick of him as the season went on. Between the two of them I found the season so unpleasant to watch that I almost bailed before the ending. But I stayed with it and the final episode was so great that it went a long way towards redeeming the rest of the season. It's still my least favorite though because most of the time I just didn't enjoy watching it that much.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 10, 2017

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been binge watching The Leftovers for the past few weeks and just finished it. Hot drat, what a great show and an amazing finale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Regy Rusty posted:

I'll go for the hat trick and say season 2 is the best but this is way better than season 1

For my reasoning it comes down to that I really disliked watching Lorne Malvo. He didn't do it for me at all. Lester started off entertaining but I got sick of him as the season went on. Between the two of them I found the season so unpleasant to watch that I almost bailed before the ending. But I stayed with it and the final episode was so great that it went a long way towards redeeming the rest of the season. It's still my least favorite though because most of the time I just didn't enjoy watching it that much.

The monologues in season 2 were boring as hell and I hated the mute murder injun.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Season Three is one big ending to Fargo as a series and as Noah has proven consistently, he just can't write a good ending.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think this season of Fargo is just as entertaining as ever, but it pulls way too widely from disparate sources and kind of makes almost no sense with only 2 episodes left.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main thing really is Varga for me. He's such a lovely character in every way. If there was any attempt to give him depth or anything, I'd probably be able to view the show in a more positive light. But he just slinks around being creepy and making people drink piss and it's no fun at all for me, even with Thewlis in the role.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought this week's episode was pretty good, what with God making an appearance and all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Escobarbarian posted:

The main thing really is Varga for me. He's such a lovely character in every way. If there was any attempt to give him depth or anything, I'd probably be able to view the show in a more positive light. But he just slinks around being creepy and making people drink piss and it's no fun at all for me, even with Thewlis in the role.
Malvo was incredibly charismatic and almost mesmerizing, you knew he was evil but a part of you still wanted to know what he'd do next and how he'd play whomever next. There wasn't really an omnipotent villain in S2 other than maybe Hanzee, but that was fine because the nature of that season was such that you had all these well fleshed out and developments sides and players all going against each other and didn't really need a Malvo driving everything.

Ostensibly we are meant to look at Varga in the same way as a Malvo but he's the exact opposite in terms of charisma; you're just disgusted by him and more than menacing he just comes off as annoying. It was fascinating see Malvo work, the most we've seen of Varga is him googling people and somehow magically hacking everything offscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PriorMarcus posted:

Season Three is one big ending to Fargo as a series and as Noah has proven consistently, he just can't write a good ending.

This is still nonsense no matter how much you try to assert it

• Locked thread