Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The new Great Gianna Sister's game felt like an early 90's Apogee or Epic Megagames side scroller.

Instead of Steam, you should have had to buy it by sending money by mail to an address you'd get from a BBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The sonic dating sim was weird

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/GPigParkour/status/872952433344880640

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

Gladly. Giana Sisters were apparently actually really big in parts of Europe despite their weird history, especially since Nintendo was less successful over there. People legitimately really cared about Giana Sisters and bringing them back in a less-ripoffy way makes sense. Bubsy is a meme.

Their Giana Sisters game (and there are actually two of them, they made a second one that's multiplayer-only or something that I know nothing about) had nothing to do with the original beyond the name, really, and this new Bubsy game seems pretty similar in that regard, not that it really matters if it's faithful to the originals or not.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Their Giana Sisters game (and there are actually two of them, they made a second one that's multiplayer-only or something that I know nothing about) had nothing to do with the original beyond the name, really, and this new Bubsy game seems pretty similar in that regard, not that it really matters if it's faithful to the originals or not.
I mean you can't really blame them for changing up IPs that were completely unoriginal to begin with.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SupSuper posted:

I mean you can't really blame them for changing up IPs that were completely unoriginal to begin with.

It makes more sense in Giana's case because that's a game that was so derivative it got pulled off the market but in Bubsy's case I think "crappy Sonic ripoff" would still be a more worthwhile direction to take than "generic europlatformer", especially nowadays when there are indie developers out there who've established they can make competent Sonic-style games and would probably unironically love to make a Bubsy game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/872946127296897024

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
There's something really ghetto about how the new Bubsy and Shaq Fu both prop up how terrible the originals were just to say that the new version is "better than before" when in reality they just look as average as any other bargain bin game out on the market

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I just played the Sega CD version of Sonic CD for a race and I definitely can't blame people for not liking it if they played only this one. The 2011 version is like a completely different game.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://twitter.com/BubsyThe_Bobcat/status/872958280523431936

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The original Bubsy was okay.

Also, why yet another Death Egg Robot fight? We've beaten that dead horse so much it exploded and birds flew out and our points got tallied.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Death Egg robot in GSZ is kinda novel.

Did anyone ever compare that blurry gamepro style screenshot of the new level with the pre-order trailer? Is it just Speedway or was it a new level?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

This whole loving thread tho. Even Mike Pollock pops up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Screaming Idiot posted:

The original Bubsy was okay.

Also, why yet another Death Egg Robot fight? We've beaten that dead horse so much it exploded and birds flew out and our points got tallied.

This looks like a novel fight, though, and according to another article the fight is constantly moving left to right, so it's basically a new boss.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thinking about sonic today

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic just told me he was thinking about you too (He's sitting right next to me right now)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Not every day?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TFRazorsaw posted:

Just think

Even this will probably be better than Mighty No. 9.

Well, I'll tell you what, it isn't going to get anyone really disappointed like Might No. 9 did, so nobody is gonna have any strong feelings about this game. Mega Man is a series people actually like. Bubsy... uh... well...

Almost all of the Sonic ripoff animal mascots of the 90s were insanely terrible. However, there was at least one of them that was very good. And that was Sparkster the Rocket Knight. The Rocket Knight Adventures games for Genesis and Sparkster for SNES are great. They made another one for Xbox 360 a few years back and sadly it wasn't very good. We will probably never see Sparkster again because, well, Konami.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIvpboKVdrw

What a time to be alive, another Cybershell video.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Hahahaha that was a great answer.

That Bubsy trailer just doesn't look like the game's gonna be fun, though. Poor thing, Bubsy. I actually hope it's not that bad. Wouldn't mind to see a Bubsy game succeed.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Mr. Glum posted:

Holy Christ, I laughed so hard I cried at 2:35.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mr. Glum posted:

That was a fun trip down memory lane. I forgot just how bat poo poo insane the Endgame arc actually was.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

J-Spot posted:

That was a fun trip down memory lane. I forgot just how bat poo poo insane the Endgame arc actually was.

Same. I barely remember anything from the Sonic comic past issue 50. Or the Knuckles comic past the first couple minis. I think I must have blocked Ken Penders slow descent into insanity out of my brain.

And I read it from like, issue #10 through to the time when Sonic Adventure 2 came out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

There's something really ghetto about how the new Bubsy and Shaq Fu both prop up how terrible the originals were just to say that the new version is "better than before" when in reality they just look as average as any other bargain bin game out on the market

That's just for authenticity's sake.

Also I'll be the dissenting voice and say I really liked the new Giana Sisters, until I just sort of stopped playing it. That's not a knock against the game, I also "just sort of stopped playing" Freedom Planet too and that game was fantastic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I really do recommend people pick up the comics from when Penders took over, even if it's pre-reboot, the stories are still great. For those interested on alternate things that could have happened, Karl Bollers once gave an interview talking about what he intended with the comic after it did it's "Sonic has been gone for a whole year" plot line. Bollers didn't get to really do anything as he and Penders were heavy in there war at the time. Jon Gray, who is an absolutely wonderful artist and person, once explained that it was basically like being between two arguing parents who hate each other.

http://archive.sonichq.net/newsite/comics/kbsonicoverview.php

For the reminder on how Penders seized complete control? Well, every now and then people like to work under pen names, on the Sonic comic, both the comics editor at the time and Bollers did sometimes enjoy writing comics as someone else. So Penders outed Bollers pen names and basically harassed him out of the place.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

This might be the endgame of developers trying to capitalize on 90s nostalgia, because when you remake bring back Bubsy and Shaq-Fu, you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gammatron 64 posted:

This might be the endgame of developers trying to capitalize on 90s nostalgia, because when you remake bring back Bubsy and Shaq-Fu, you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

They went straight for Bubsy and Shaq-Fu and didn't even give us a good new Streets of Rage done in the style of Double Dragon Neon. Or what about Zombies Ate My Neighbors?

I'm betting on the next retro reboot to be James Pond.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mick and Mack Global Gladiators as a gritty third person cover shooter.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Aero the Acro-bat 3
Mr. and Mrs. Nutz
Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel 2
Awesome Possum Reloaded

:barf:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Mo Hawk and Headphone Jack 2.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Give it a few years, and we'll get the early 2000s nostalgia projects.

Dr. Muto 2
Blinx 3
Vexx 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's pretty sad to see the Archie Comics go. It was a nice redemption story to see them stop being horrible evil garbage and go back to being a great video game adaptation with a love and appreciation for what made the source material good.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Augus posted:

It's pretty sad to see the Archie Comics go. It was a nice redemption story to see them stop being horrible evil garbage and go back to being a great video game adaptation with a love and appreciation for what made the source material good.

Agreed. They were one of the first comic books I started reading as a little kid, starting around issue #3. I do remember all of the goofy one-off issues, until after issue 25 when it started to get "super serious". I also stopped reading them around issue 75, but I'm glad the series was around, since it got me into reading in general.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Archie and Sega are still in discussions as of today, for what it's worth.

I mean I'm not optimistic but that's what the situation is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cybershell is right on about Mecha Madness being an amazing comic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Why they didn't use their alternate universe premise to give us more of Mecha Sonic (the roboticized one) always struck me as weird. People really wanted that design to come back.

We only ever got it again in a really underwhelming story that seemed to exist only to make Eggman and Snively human again.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Augus posted:

Maybe I should go back and read the Ian Flynn stuff post reboot. It might be up my alley since it's an adaptation of the actual games. I read the Sonic \ Mega Man crossover and liked that.

Is the post reboot stuff collected anywhere?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Why they didn't use their alternate universe premise to give us more of Mecha Sonic (the roboticized one) always struck me as weird. People really wanted that design to come back.

We only ever got it again in a really underwhelming story that seemed to exist only to make Eggman and Snively human again.

The Mecha Sonic from Metallic Madness reminded me of the one from Sonic & Knuckles. That's probably on purpose.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe I should go back and read the Ian Flynn stuff post reboot. It might be up my alley since it's an adaptation of the actual games. I read the Sonic \ Mega Man crossover and liked that.

Is the post reboot stuff collected anywhere?

There's a few TPBs on Comixology.

I think his pre-reboot stuff is interesting if only because he manages to sow greatness out of lackluster stuff from previous writers. Everyone dogs on echidna bullshit, but "Enerjak Reborn" is definitely one of the best stories that Archie has ever told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes I think Cybershell and I are the same person because I just recently went back and read Mecha Madness myself, and apparently we fell off the comic wagon around the same time.

I've never seen the two of us in a room at the same time....I don't think.