Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I'm going to have to abandon my Resilience NG deck. It's literally unplayable. Scorch, Igni, locks, strength resets, strength reversals, and more everywhere. I think my last 6 opponents had each one 2-3 cards of the type.

I couldn't hold for the next round a 10+ strength card in the last 9 games or so.

Instead I will have to try to do a poor's man spy NG Caveilt deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Electronico6 posted:

Another Dev stream happening next Monday on the usual time. Guess no patch today or monday.

augh

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
NG is too strong but the combat engineer nerf between cb and ob seemed unwarranted. If the idea was that resilience shouldn't be something NG excels at then the card should have been reworked entirely.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

NG is too strong but the combat engineer nerf between cb and ob seemed unwarranted. If the idea was that resilience shouldn't be something NG excels at then the card should have been reworked entirely.

Was Combat Engineer nerfed, or are there simply too many scorches/locks around? They are the same as before, except 2 power and never were that popular. Ekkimmaras also hold down Consume in general.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

On the one hand I'm itching for this update so I can mill all of these drat cards, but on the other I guess this will give me enough time to probably craft one more nerfed legendary.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

Was Combat Engineer nerfed, or are there simply too many scorches/locks around? They are the same as before, except 2 power and never were that popular. Ekkimmaras also hold down Consume in general.
2 str is a substantial nerf for a bronze card. Imagine Mahakam defenders at 3 str. And 4 was, as you say, barely playable.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Also man I can't wait for some of these changes. Just played a game against hunters where he went from 0 points on the board to loving 98 on his last play.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

2 str is a substantial nerf for a bronze card. Imagine Mahakam defenders at 3 str. And 4 was, as you say, barely playable.

The only way CE would be played if he had the same str as the Nilfgaard Knight, which sees marginal play as a 1 off in the best variation of Spy NG. But even so, you'd only play for raw numbers, not the ability, much like you get more use out of the spy tag of the cow than it's removal.

Problem with Combat Engineer is that resilience is just a weak mechanic in a world filled with Scorches/Gignis, locks and resets, especially when it becomes about toggling resilience of fat units.

In the end. as a NG player why would I include this card when I could be running these other bronzes that play much better with the 3xBrigades and 3xEmissaries backbone: Cowtossers, Ambassadors, Novices, Medic and Standard Bearer. Plus as a NG player, my best plan is to play all my deck in two rounds and shuffle back a win condition for a third round, I don't need a easy countered plan around resilience.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
ideally, your opponent throws his headphones off and accidentally smashes his monitor in the process after you play nausicaa standard bearers 3(5?) times, gaining you a forfeit win

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A 10 str combat engineer would see marginal play. Nice analysis bro.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Combat Engineer doesn't get played because Nilfgaard has an explosive round 1 and then wants to pass round 2, so there's no useful time for the resilience to ever take effect.

Maybe if there was a more reactionary playstyle where golems didn't exist

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CE could still work, resilience is very good. 2 str is just too little.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, I'm going to have to abandon my Resilience NG deck. It's literally unplayable. Scorch, Igni, locks, strength resets, strength reversals, and more everywhere. I think my last 6 opponents had each one 2-3 cards of the type.

I couldn't hold for the next round a 10+ strength card in the last 9 games or so.

Instead I will have to try to do a poor's man spy NG Caveilt deck.

Honestly this is my main problem with the state of the game right now. Powerful control effects are so plentiful that tempo-based strategies are largely worthless and irrelevant. And since there's so much of that stuff, spell/control/weather decks dominate, so the game becomes too much about denying the opponent valid targets while trying not to waste too many cards on 0-value "I don't want to pass" plays.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

Combat Engineer doesn't get played because Nilfgaard has an explosive round 1 and then wants to pass round 2, so there's no useful time for the resilience to ever take effect.

Maybe if there was a more reactionary playstyle where golems didn't exist

They didn't see much play before Golems either. It's just that resilience as been weak since the expansion of lock and reset mechanics.

No Wave posted:

A 10 str combat engineer would see marginal play. Nice analysis bro.

Right now? Yes. It would have the same use as Nilfgaard Knight does now, which is to fill 1 bronze space and be a pile of stats. I'll give you that the resilience is much better than reveal one of your cards, but you still run into the problem that your resilient unit is going to get burned, locked, or reset.

Again these are common cards you going to see in ladder right now: Auckes(and other silver locks), Peter Saar, Mardroeme, Villen, G:igni, Shackles, Scorch. There's also an increase in Letho/Dimebomb as NG players try to counter Skellige and to protect their big units from weather/scorch. The best NG decks have no space for Engineers, nor do they want them, cause what they aim is to always have good pulls from emissary

Resilience is weak in the current state of the game, no matter how many numbers you try to inflate with.

Edit: Deathwish that leaves units behind is much better than resilience. Hence the must includes of Harpies and rising popularity of Earth Elementals.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 9, 2017

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Wave posted:

resilience is pretty obviously something nilf excels at.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So just to clarify, how exactly is converting meteorite powder to scraps going to work?

So when the patch comes out, you craft legendaries that were nerfed, convert them to premium, and mill for the full 1600 scraps, effectively trading 400 meteorite powder for 800 scraps, correct?

Do you have to craft then convert the legendaries before the patch?

Also, there a list of what legendaries that are being nerfed/what this will work for?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Normal Adult Human posted:

resilience is pretty obviously something nilf excels at.
What cards are we talking about here...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mmm. It's interesting we are going to have an update on the update before it's released.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

The Iron Rose posted:

Do you have to craft then convert the legendaries before the patch?

This is the likely assumption, yes. Otherwise it's tantamount to having a cash:scraps ratio for 5 days.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah I came here to ask what legendary to craft with my first 800 scraps now that ragnarok (spelling) is getting nerfed, but I guess the unexiting answer is still ragnarok, and then transmute it.

Buuut what legendaries do I craft with the nerf dust after the patch hits? Right now I'm grinding one or two packs a day with a budget monster frost deck, and I'm having okay fun (Wild Hunt Rider is probably my favorite card to play after winning the first round), but it's getting a little stale. Haven't been treated too well with cards from packs to have an obvious deck to work towards either.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oenis posted:

Yeah I came here to ask what legendary to craft with my first 800 scraps now that ragnarok (spelling) is getting nerfed, but I guess the unexiting answer is still ragnarok, and then transmute it.

Buuut what legendaries do I craft with the nerf dust after the patch hits? Right now I'm grinding one or two packs a day with a budget monster frost deck, and I'm having okay fun (Wild Hunt Rider is probably my favorite card to play after winning the first round), but it's getting a little stale. Haven't been treated too well with cards from packs to have an obvious deck to work towards either.

Ciri (not Ciri Dash) and Woodland Spirit are looking like the two best golds in the game after patch, providing no additional changes are made. Of course, a new meta could arise that adds some other strong options.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Scored myself 5 kegs today and got a 3rd vran warrior and 2 ekimara with one of them being premium :haw:. I can taste the consume deck but there's so many other cards I feel like I desperately need :ohdear: Water hag, D-bomb, crones, roach, legendaries.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Up Circle posted:

Someone needs to put a stop to toruviel, this is getting out of hand.

i won 5 of 6 games i played last night using her and im getting bolder and bolder by the day

two different people got 2-0ed in ranked with 8+ cards in hand thanks to a 2nd round toruviel and an early pass

I have her, a couple of elf mercenaries... hmm, worth a try? Any cheap scoia'tael cheap ambush decks worth having?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Feels real good beating super high ranked/mmr people just messin' about in casual. Mr. #34 got 2-0'd hard against some pretty lovely draws on my part.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

dead comedy forums posted:

I have her, a couple of elf mercenaries... hmm, worth a try? Any cheap scoia'tael cheap ambush decks worth having?
i think it's insanely fun to find ways to swing rounds using her, and elven mercenaries are a great combo. there aren't enough ambush cards to build a deck around it but you can certainly have round winning plays with the handful of cards that exist

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Found Villen, so I crafted Skellige Storm to play spellgard before the patch.

Hahahahaha this deck gets literally no GGs, does it :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Huh they scheduled it so it doesn't conflict with any E3 conferences, nice.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Is there a way to fix invisible cards, can I just reload somehow

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ugh I am getting a little tired of every. single. person in the poo poo tier ranked matches having a completely loaded deck. How the gently caress are these people with carbon copies of Swim's broken poo poo all in the 1200 bracket? Where is everyone getting all these scraps from. C'mon patch, I want to finally make at least one actual deck that isn't held together with glue and a bunch of crap.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
You mean you aren't playing Gwent 5 hours a day?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It probably takes 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 to get 100+75+50 scraps tier rewards. I annoyed at the fact that I haven't pulled any legendaries in drat near or more than 40 kegs, so i've kicked it down to only going for the 100 and 75.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I don't think anyone's hitting that +50 in 3 hours, that's a metric shitload of matches even for how fast most games go.

I barely have time to hit the 100 ore per day, especially with the reset being at such an odd time, so it kinda sucks feeling like I'm so far behind right now. I guess it will eventually even out since the card pool isn't *that* big and at a certain point basically every non-legendary you pull is going to be a dupe, but man. It just seems like the average player here is putting in a *ton* of time and / or money. I wasn't in the closed beta though, and that sounds like it gave people a whole bunch of kegs, too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Katakan and Caretaker are hilarious against Skellige. Just had one forfeit when I took one of his huge hunters with Caretaker and ate the other one with Katakan.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm sure as hell I will welcome the extra scrap in the new patch, because crafting seems the only way to get silvers or golds. I think my last 12 kegs or so have been only bronzes.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm sure as hell I will welcome the extra scrap in the new patch, because crafting seems the only way to get silvers or golds. I think my last 12 kegs or so have been only bronzes.

I opened 100 kegs when the open beta started and pretty much exactly half of all the cards in them were duplicates (or in case of bronzes, quadruplicates). I had like 12 copies of some bronzes, while missing a ton of silvers.

Later I bought 40 more and got 4 golds and 4 silvers.

My pack luck was loving weird in HS as well so maybe it's just me.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Apparently I've put nearly 200 hours into Gwent now, much of that in the open beta and if there's one thing I've learned so far it's that netdecking is dumb and the most joy in the game (for me) comes from deck building and tweaking. I know that's probably a really obvious conclusion to come to but this is the first CCG I've really invested into.

Like recently I've been trying to make a controly NR deck because I like the idea of Ballistas (Ballistae?). It's mostly pretty bad but just working out poo poo on your own is incredibly satisfying. For example that like Yenn Conn obviously synergises with Ballista and Sabrina is actually amazing as she can give you control over any variety of row as long as you have a way to kill her (like with Myrgtabrakke or Radovid) and then a Gigni or Scorch finish it off at high strength or a Ballista for low strength. Then tweaking poo poo like how I found most opponents will realise the deck relies a lot on Siege Supports/Platforms so having a Shani, Reaver Scout and even a Reinforcement to pull them is useful and supports help so much with varying your strength and adding armour so weather isn't a huge issue. Feel slightly wrong playing a siege-focused deck and not having Foltest because the Witcher 2 lore apparently influences my deck building but previously I had him or Henselt and then Margarita and Cleaver for locks but I found with all the damage output you can do, Margarita is actually a liability most of the time because she resets - simple poo poo I know, but freeing up 1 or 2 silver slots and adding locks and also a near-guaranteed Sabrina kill with Radovid made much more sense. And currently I'm trying work out how good the Dun Banner Light Cavalry are - because deck thinning is great and you get loads of free value if you have some siege supports already placed but on the other hand I really want to include trebuchets. But the fun will be in the testing. Like I said I mostly lose trying this out in casual at 2000 mmr but occasionally it really works out when you're against a NG or Dwarf ST that is gunning hard for the first round and the deck is mostly able to hold it's own.

Also, just got a legendary choice in a keg opening and it was loving Vabjorn, Menno or Premium Ciri Dash. So I took the Ciri Dash of course but also I don't want to play any deck with any of those cards in. I pray for a Kayran or a Caretaker.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Caretaker is loving great, he was the first Legendary I crafted and he upped my winrate considerably.

I gotta say though, slotting in that Dimeritium Bomb was the best decision I've made so far. If I can manage to go into the 3rd round with card advantage and DB in hand, I am going to win against most decks. Especially Reavers, Swim's disgustingly annoying Skellige Axe damage deck, any Tibor decks and presumably Kayran finishers, although I don't think I've actually seen any so far. Would be good against ScoiaSpell as well, but that deck wrecks me regardless.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I've had a lot of fun with my Unseen Elder devour deck; can't wait for the patch since a lot of the cards in it will get boosted. Any suggestions to this? Golds are obviously unoptimal, but I don't have the Kayrans etc. yet.

It's missing 1 silver. Not sure what to put in (the neutral lock-dwarf?), or what to take out (one ghoul probably).

Not sure if 2 or 3 nekker warriors is better; probably just 2? If I get only one in my starting hand I can dupe it with the Operator. Some games I've played 4+ warriors (operator, drawing one from the opponent with Caretaker) but then it gets tricky to eat them all properly. Might be worth it to just replace Operator, since it can't really help much with the other cards.

I also wonder if keeping 2 nekkers in your opening hand is generally worth it - if I keep only one and it gets locked & I don't draw another the main punch of the deck is gone, but if it doesn't get locked the backup one is pretty much just taking space until round 3.

Ghouls are a bit ehh. They boost the nekkers, but usually the random devour lands them around 6-9 power. What would be a good replacement for these? Wild hunt riders? Then again, the devour by itself might be worth them, hard to say.

The top row gets almost everything, so the archgriffons are handy in clearing weathers from it, and I can just ignore the other rows. Igni plays hell on it, though.

EDIT: As RatHat said, this melts Skellige. Eating their graveyard with ghouls & katakans & the caretaker has given me all of the Skellige games for a while now. :unsmigghh:

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 10, 2017

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
ive seen exactly 1 unseen elder in all the time ive played from closed beta until today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Up Circle posted:

ive seen exactly 1 unseen elder in all the time ive played from closed beta until today

I think I've gone against two. I can see why, it's a bit clunky and without the harpy eggs / duped nekkers the leader power isn't doing much by itself. It's fun though; seems to be working well so far, but I'm only on rank 8.