Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

18 Character Limit posted:

Holy poo poo. What is going on?

:piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shere posted:

Like, I'm glad that you're able to determine legal fault immediately, but as a general rule of the road I think everyone should be trying to increase their odds of leaving said road alive. Pay attention to where you are and what kind of issues might arise from that. Be defensive of your own life, not passive-aggressive.

With the TT going on and all the tourists the Isle of Man Constabulary has been posting all week on their social media saying things like "Cyclists.......have a long hard think before you start Cycling on the Mountain Road. We can't stop you but it's not a very good idea."

I think that's the best way to frame the issue. When we're talking about right-of-way and/or mixed traffic people often get too hung up on the legalities and what is allowed versus what's actually a good idea. In life in general there are all kinds of things that are entirely your right to do, but you still probably shouldn't.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On an individual level, absoultely don't do things that are likely to get you killed for little benefit.

But on the other hand, if pedestrians don't enforce their legal right to use public rights of way, that's exactly how those rights of way become dominated by cars and impassible to pedestrians. "You should totally not use this road because you might get killed" ought to be a call to action to government to make changes - legal and/or physical - to restore to pedestrians their right of way. Not, as seems to be the thrust of arguments in this thread, a call to action to pedestrians to get hosed and just not go where you want to go unless you've got a car.

I acknowledge dude with bike is on the wrong side (although how you resolve the law with the need to get on and off a bike, I can't imagine: should he ride to the middle of the road, dismount right there, and then walk the rest of the way to the other side?) but had he been on the right side, the situation would still be the same: a high-speed road with no shoulder that is lethally dangerous to anyone not in a car. And the people in charge of maintaining and regulating that road are the ones that have created a dangerous situation. It's completely wrong to blame the pedestrian in any way for that situation existing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

On the correct side of the road at least he has a chance to see his death coming and possibly jump out of the way though!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

The Locator posted:

On the correct side of the road at least he has a chance to see his death coming and possibly jump out of the way though!

But to ride his bike he would be crossing the road multiple times, everytime he dismounted he increases the chance of getting hit.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Leperflesh posted:

It's completely wrong to blame the pedestrian in any way for that situation existing.
I agree. But if I were the pedestrian I'd blame myself for not paying more attention to a dangerous place in the road. Doesn't matter who's in the right when you're at the Neuro ICU with a massive bleed and you're looking at lifelong cognitive damage or death.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I'm going to borrow my brother's 12 foot camping trailer this weekend. Never really towed anything before. I was wondering if there is a wireless dashcam type thing I can use as a rearview mirror that is worth messing with.

Edit: Yup I'm fully prepared to be mocked and my manhood made fun of. It's one of the reasons I got last minute reservations. I'm going with a group of people in July and want to know what I'm doing before I go with other people I know haha.

Using a Toyota Sienna to tow. My brother uses his Honda Oddysey to tow it and doesn't have mirror extensions so I figure I'll just take my time and I'll be OK.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 1, 2017

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hdip posted:

I'm going to borrow my brother's 12 foot camping trailer this weekend. Never really towed anything before. I was wondering if there is a wireless dashcam type thing I can use as a rearview mirror that is worth messing with.

Sure, google 'wireless RV camera,' but 12 feet is pretty tiny as far as campers go. If you've never backed a trailer up, go to a parking lot and learn that. Otherwise the width of the trailer is going to be more of an issue than the length or what's behind it when you're going forward. Does the vehicle you're towing it with have mirrors that stick out far enough?

If you're going to a campground with other RVs, be prepared for half a dozen dudes to walk over before you even back into the site to watch and offer advice at various levels of condescension.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Secure your loads people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV6mmuBO6XY

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
So this happened this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXZUC3oA0rM

The clip cuts off abruptly at the moment of impact and the next clip starts about 10-15 seconds later once I'd pulled to the side of the road so I need to do some testing and find out if the force of the impact caused a hiccup with the DVR and, if so, do I need to actually anchor the DVR in my glovebox because having it blip out during an impact sort of defeats the purpose. Fortunately in this instance the guy immediately pulled over behind me, apologized, and gave the police the basically correct account of what happened (though from what I understand he tried to blame the car pulled over on the opposite shoulder for why he swerved, not the fact that he was distracted and didn't notice that the cars ahead of him had stopped. But the cop said he was fully at fault so I figured it didn't matter (and I didn't really notice the cause until I looked at the footage later).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Work has me traveling to chicago for about 8 months this year.

Given how badly these people drive, I can't wait for it to be over.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Scruff McGruff posted:

So this happened this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXZUC3oA0rM

The clip cuts off abruptly at the moment of impact and the next clip starts about 10-15 seconds later once I'd pulled to the side of the road so I need to do some testing and find out if the force of the impact caused a hiccup with the DVR and, if so, do I need to actually anchor the DVR in my glovebox because having it blip out during an impact sort of defeats the purpose. Fortunately in this instance the guy immediately pulled over behind me, apologized, and gave the police the basically correct account of what happened (though from what I understand he tried to blame the car pulled over on the opposite shoulder for why he swerved, not the fact that he was distracted and didn't notice that the cars ahead of him had stopped. But the cop said he was fully at fault so I figured it didn't matter (and I didn't really notice the cause until I looked at the footage later).

Wonder if your SD card came loose. Still, it didn't totally defeat the purpose. You have the events leading up to the impact recorded.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I am so glad I have dash cams on every car I own.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I am so glad I have dash cams on every car I own.

Agreed, I'll never have a car without one again. Too many situations where no evidence plus another party who's willing to lie (or was so inattentive that they legitimately believe they're in the right) could gently caress you over.

I 3D printed an adapter to allow my G1W to attach to GoPro mounts so I'm no longer reliant on that stupid suction cup, plus I can switch cameras around with ease.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

CharlesM posted:

I got a G1W-C from Spytec to tide me over until the Street Guardian dual channel camera comes out. I noticed it stopped recording at some point on the drive last night. Any idea why? Is it true a UHS-I is actually too fast?

A fast SD card shouldn't cause a problem, that wouldn't really make sense. Mine was having an issue where it would record to the end of the memory and not overwrite old files. Only did it sometimes, though... Kind of annoying, especially with a 16gb card. I messed with some settings and found out that setting the recording length to anything but 5 minutes caused the problem, after I set 5 minute clips I haven't had a problem for over a year and probably 30k miles of driving.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

chrisgt posted:

A fast SD card shouldn't cause a problem, that wouldn't really make sense. Mine was having an issue where it would record to the end of the memory and not overwrite old files. Only did it sometimes, though... Kind of annoying, especially with a 16gb card. I messed with some settings and found out that setting the recording length to anything but 5 minutes caused the problem, after I set 5 minute clips I haven't had a problem for over a year and probably 30k miles of driving.

Doing a full format of the card and I haven't seen the problem again, but the capacitor doesn't hold the time for more than 13-14 hours (I haven't tested exactly how long), so I'm going to return it anyway.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

CharlesM posted:

Doing a full format of the card and I haven't seen the problem again, but the capacitor doesn't hold the time for more than 13-14 hours (I haven't tested exactly how long), so I'm going to return it anyway.

Mine will lose the date and time after a couple of days, 13 hours seems excessively bad. I actually don't know how to set the month/day on mine.... The settings just skips right over those and goes onto the time. lovely firmware, but the camera works, so whatever. I'll have to make sure I unplug it for a week and plug it back in on january 1st next year :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

chrisgt posted:

Mine will lose the date and time after a couple of days, 13 hours seems excessively bad. I actually don't know how to set the month/day on mine.... The settings just skips right over those and goes onto the time. lovely firmware, but the camera works, so whatever. I'll have to make sure I unplug it for a week and plug it back in on january 1st next year :P

You have to set the date format to year-month-day, then set the date, then change the date format to U.S. style.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Chicago update: Still terrible.

Note: Some of this happened on the way into Indiana, which is terrible too.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

Chicago update: Still terrible.

Note: Some of this happened on the way into Indiana, which is terrible too.
Yo gently caress you for trying to run that guy off the road. If people drive lovely let them drive lovely, we don't need to multiply that by two.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I care deeply about your opinion, thanks for sharing it.

Edit because I do like being open, generally:

I certainly didn't run anyone off the road, I attempted to close the shoulder. He decided to drive off the road because he's a road raging moron - or, in simpler terms, a bully.

Bullies will always do what they can get away with, and I've always made it a point to encourage them to the extent possible not to get away with things. You're certainly welcome to live your life differently. I won't even stoop to your level and say "gently caress you" as you did.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 9, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
When I intentionally try to cause accidents you should absolutely tell me to gently caress myself, as I would be a danger on the road.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

When I intentionally try to cause accidents you should absolutely tell me to gently caress myself, as I would be a danger on the road.
I have never intentionally or unintentionally tried to cause an accident, so cool, I guess.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

I have never intentionally or unintentionally tried to cause an accident, so cool, I guess.

* Except that one time right there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nope, didn't try to cause an accident. If I had, believe me, I could've.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

THREAD RAGE!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I love it when goons basically self-incriminate. That was reckless endangerment. You lucked out that nothing happened.

You aren't the loving law, stop endangering people like that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Post like an idiot, drive like an idiot. The magic that is Krakkles.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yup, lol.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
It's Chicago. Surprised that dude did not try to take a shot at you when you pulled up next to him.

Edit: Sometimes it just ain't worth it

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Missed in the wonderful chicagoon's self-incrimination is the much more subtle tailgating he did to close gaps and keep that turd from merging in front of him.

Krakkles, its you, the bad driver inside the thread.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Lol, there's not a jury in the Western world that would convict someone for accidentally being too far into the shoulder and getting rear-ended by a flagrant maniac. Krakkles just needs to remember to be more cautious about his word choice or you loving busy-bodies will hop to the rabid defense of someone who shouldn't be on the road.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Lol, there's not a jury in the Western world that would convict someone for accidentally being too far into the shoulder and getting rear-ended by a flagrant maniac. Krakkles just needs to remember to be more cautious about his word choice or you loving busy-bodies will hop to the rabid defense of someone who shouldn't be on the road.

Actually, if someone else is making a mistake on the road and you go out of your way to make their mistake more dangerous, you can and should be convicted in the event of an accident. What Krakkles did is attempt to enforce the law by doing something dangerous with his car, which is both stupid and illegal.

Imagine the other drivers' testimony was "your honor, I found myself having trouble controlling my vehicle - I swerved onto the shoulder to avoid hitting the car in front of me, but then the car in front of me swerved onto the shoulder to block me. As a result I crashed into that car/pulled further off the road and hit a lightpost/corrected harder and flipped/swerved the other way and hit another car."

Krakkles can make the snap judgement that it's just another rear end in a top hat passing on the shoulder, but his response should be to avoid danger by giving that person as much room as he safely can, not to increase danger and escalate the decision in an attempt to punish that driver or enforce the law.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 9, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok guys, relax, the video is gone and I won't post about it again. Everyone will be ok. Thanks to those that kept somewhat less extreme views.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nice new avatar Krakkles. :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

Nice new avatar Krakkles. :v:
Man, there's a lot of typos in there - somebody was maaaaaaaad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No but you did kinda drive like an rear end and potentially caused the "issues" in the video.

Wanna be with ya on that one, but can't :(

New avvy day is always a good day though :yayclod:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

No but you did kinda drive like an rear end and potentially caused the "issues" in the video.

At the center of every dark cloud is a silver lining.

And passive aggressive driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Oh yeah, he totally caused that idiot behind him to be an idiot. What you didn't see in the video was Krakkles running back to the guy's car and putting a brick on the accelerator--see, the idiot driving like a maniac is actually a victim in this.