Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

zelah posted:

Yesterday when I hit those clearly-too-good-for-low-levels players I made sure to rematch them. The faster they level up the faster I can play people closer to my skill level.

Oh, I'm totally willing to rematch them anyway, just often they don't, and either way it's difficult to pick up much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

zelah posted:

Yesterday when I hit those clearly-too-good-for-low-levels players I made sure to rematch them. The faster they level up the faster I can play people closer to my skill level.

I hadn't even thought about it that way :haw:

I've rematched them too but mostly just to see if I can do anything against them, like punish or sidestep (and then punish) a move, do a low parry, etc. It's still a guaranteed loss but at least I can pretend that I'm learning something from it!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Always rematch everyone

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Shockeh posted:

Hardest bit of learning right now is the skill disparity.

I'm meeting either:
A. Long term Tekken players, usually on old staples (Mostly Kazuya, Paul or Bryan) who crush you mercilessly. OR;
B. How do I do fireball keyboard warriors who you end up learning awful habits from OR;
C. Lost SF players, invariably on Akuma who just suck.

I don't feel like I can learn much from B & C, and A is difficult because the gap is SO wide.

There is plenty of stuff you could be practicing and learning on low level players.

Here are a few: Whiff punishing, counter-hit combos, comboing off of non-traditional launching attacks, combo improvisation (especially on wall stages), block punishes (general & character specific), picking up on player habits, general defense, general movement, trying moves you don't use that often but have seen pro players use.

All of these are better practiced in a real match.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
you can learn a lot from people who gently caress you up. like why they do it

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

BattleHamster posted:

There is plenty of stuff you could be practicing and learning on low level players.

Here are a few: Whiff punishing, counter-hit combos, comboing off of non-traditional launching attacks, combo improvisation (especially on wall stages), block punishes (general & character specific), picking up on player habits, general defense, general movement, trying moves you don't use that often but have seen pro players use.

All of these are better practiced in a real match.

All agreed in theory. In practise, these people don't punish, so they're just training you into doing stupid poo poo (because they land when they shouldn't, and they don't punish when they don't.) I'd much rather get an extended set against someone 'better' than me but not ridiculously so.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just picked up this game and I'm in this weird zone where, everyone is either too good or too bad for me, at least in random online play so far. First time ever playing Tekken with other players and I think the local scene is picking up (and by that I mean the latest gatherings are not too far from my place).

The biggest thing I'm getting caught with is openings; I seem to get stuffed clean every time when we both attack or have to block and then guess the follow up. Any tips on what are my options really?

Playing Lili btw, mostly because I tried Steve in Training and went YUP I NEED TO PRACTICE MUH BOI MORE. Might switch characters around but for day 1 the tea drinker is mah gurl. Also I'm not sure what moves she does are safe on block though I am slowly figuring out what moves are not safe the hard way...

PS - Background is mostly 2D fighting games ala Marvel, SF and KoF. Also playing Virtua Fighter with the one other guy in Malaysia who played it at a probably low level? I dunno? Who plays this beautiful game?? Just mentioning the games in case their frame of reference come in handy

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

I hadn't even thought about it that way :haw:

I've rematched them too but mostly just to see if I can do anything against them, like punish or sidestep (and then punish) a move, do a low parry, etc. It's still a guaranteed loss but at least I can pretend that I'm learning something from it!

This is totally the right attitude to have.

(This post sounds sarcastic but it isn't.)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I need to find people to run sets with at some point though, I know I'm getting away with some unsafe lows and gimmicks versus people in the 2 match max ranked mode. Is there a decent chunk of PS4 people in the discord? Sounds like the majority of people posting in the thread are on PC.

Yes, Discord is your friend and last night there were even goon tourneys being run on PS4.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Evil Canadian posted:

Did up some more easy combos for beginners. Once again absolutely not optimal damage, but damage is fair enough, and more importantly easy to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKLYB_Fdis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVBqWzaD9E4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRbm6U1StpQ

Dope.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Did you do one for Jin already? If not, would you be willing to?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Does everyone serious about this game use a fight stick, or is it a matter of preference between that and a console controller even at high level? I'm using an XBONE controller for PC and having a lot of fun with the game, but the d-pad seems ill-equipped for the kind of finnicky movement that happens in Tekken. Might just be that I haven't really gotten a feel for it yet.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Does everyone serious about this game use a fight stick, or is it a matter of preference between that and a console controller even at high level? I'm using an XBONE controller for PC and having a lot of fun with the game, but the d-pad seems ill-equipped for the kind of finnicky movement that happens in Tekken. Might just be that I haven't really gotten a feel for it yet.

Plenty of top players play on pad, but usually it's a dual shock. If you want a step up from the stock xb1 pad but without shelling out for a stick, something like the hori fighting commander might be a good option.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I think if youre gonna actually buy a custom controller you might as well get a real stick

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Jmcrofts posted:

Plenty of top players play on pad, but usually it's a dual shock. If you want a step up from the stock xb1 pad but without shelling out for a stick, something like the hori fighting commander might be a good option.

I am actually looking for a stick and was wondering if there are online places to buy them that aren't amazon. They are all sold out of the stuff I want to buy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
As the owner of a nice stick, I can say that I cannot play Marvel/Capcom fighters without it and I cannot play Tekken with it. Capcom fighters are reliant on smooth circles, where Tekken is more precise directional input. Much easier with a Dual Shock.

I do need to get better at claw though, I use thumbs and have trouble with 1+4 and 2+3 moves without binding them to a shoulder button which I'm trying to avoid.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

he1ixx posted:

I am actually looking for a stick and was wondering if there are online places to buy them that aren't amazon. They are all sold out of the stuff I want to buy.

focusattack or eightarc are other fightstick sellers

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Newegg actually has decent deals every once in a while. A few months ago they had the TE2+ for like $115 and it came with a free coaster and empty case for if you had any loose discs laying around.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

KingShiro posted:

focusattack or eightarc are other fightstick sellers

Thanks. I checked those and lo and behold, they are both sold out of (or expecting shipments of) all stock. Unbelievable. I guess Tekken 7 created a rush! I found a stick at an Amazon reseller that is likely going to ship next week but I have the patience of a baby gnat so it's going to be a long week. Maybe I'll get better at the pad (or I'll focus on Injustice 2) for another week or so...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pshh, nothing personell kid

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Medullah posted:

Newegg actually has decent deals every once in a while. A few months ago they had the TE2+ for like $115 and it came with a free coaster and empty case for if you had any loose discs laying around.

They're also sold out (although they have some old Madkatz stuff for 4x the original cost). Argh!

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Loving the game, even though i am poo poo at it. But I am having a hard time figuring out who to main. I am rather new to fighting games (been 20+ years since the last time I really played one and it was not a dedicated thing at the time), with the closest thing I have played being For Honor. Currently I am just playing Treasure Battle with each of the fighters (have not gone through all of them yet) to see who clicks. So far I found some I really don't like, but none that just jump out and say "play me".

I loved Valk in For Honor ( I played her after her nerf and before her buff), anyone make any suggestions on who I should look closer at based on playing Valk?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I am a PS4 player who really wants to spend some time practicing the game, and as I've mentioned before I am very bad. I have Discord but it moves pretty quickly, so if you are a very bad player as well please add me - PSN username is Degasa. Please help me correct my bad habits of using Bad Habit with Nina over and over again.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

1500 posted:

Loving the game, even though i am poo poo at it. But I am having a hard time figuring out who to main. I am rather new to fighting games (been 20+ years since the last time I really played one and it was not a dedicated thing at the time), with the closest thing I have played being For Honor. Currently I am just playing Treasure Battle with each of the fighters (have not gone through all of them yet) to see who clicks. So far I found some I really don't like, but none that just jump out and say "play me".

I loved Valk in For Honor ( I played her after her nerf and before her buff), anyone make any suggestions on who I should look closer at based on playing Valk?

For Honor's not a lot like most fighting games; can you explain what you like about that character?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This video is based on the character guide in the OP and should give you a sense of who fits what archetype
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbewxse8DlI

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Your Computer posted:

pshh, nothing personell kid

It's like if Skeletor and Cable had a kid and fed it only nachos.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Medullah posted:

As the owner of a nice stick, I can say that I cannot play Marvel/Capcom fighters without it and I cannot play Tekken with it. Capcom fighters are reliant on smooth circles, where Tekken is more precise directional input. Much easier with a Dual Shock.

I do need to get better at claw though, I use thumbs and have trouble with 1+4 and 2+3 moves without binding them to a shoulder button which I'm trying to avoid.

what's the point in avoiding it? Just bind 'em.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

1500 posted:

I'm coming to this from For Honor as well, and don't think you can really compare them too effectively outside of a generic statement that they're both fighting games. I play Lawbringer in For Honor, but there's nothing in this game that really has the same playstyle. All the general considerations of unblockable attacks and bashes, parries, movement, etc. are completely different here, and there are no indicators so you have to know what the threats are and how to react. Valk relies a lot on shield bash to transition to mixups, but the only unblockables in this game are heavily telegraphed charge moves that will probably get you killed if you try and use them for the most part.

You're probably going to have to just browse through the cast until you find someone that feels right. Even then it's difficult to tell since you're coming from a game where characters have about 10 moves or so to one where everyone has a long list of ~70 different moves, grabs, sample combos and so on. It's a hard transition to make, all my fighting game instincts are wrong since I've played so much For Honor and almost none of it is applicable here. It's probably better to just ignore For Honor entirely in relation to this game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarEternal posted:

what's the point in avoiding it? Just bind 'em.

Well ultimately it's for when I play with friends who all use different top button bindings so I don't need to trade controllers back and forth. But on a super optimistic note, if I were to ever play in some sort of real life match, I'm pretty sure bindings are discouraged.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you want to use your thumb to hit strings and juggles and poo poo anyway? That's a terrible idea.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Why would you want to use your thumb to hit strings and juggles and poo poo anyway? That's a terrible idea.

Habit. The way I've done it the last 20 years. Working on retraining myself to be better. I can't use Nina's Ivory Cutter or Betrayer without claw, not that I use either all that often.

Also I have absurdly tiny child fingers.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

1500 posted:

Find a character you think is cool and play them. Don't try to recapture the experience you had with another character in a different game, it's pointless.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

Find a character you think is cool and play them. Don't try to recapture the experience you had with another character in a different game, it's pointless.

Hey I first played Kazuya in Tekken 1 because he had Ryu's colors and has a dragon punch and hurricane kicks. :)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like using the thumb like in any other game works just fine, at least for the babby tier I'm at :v:

Then again I can't really do a claw grip on my controller due to stick placement anyway.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

The final boss of Tekken 8 will be Devil Paul and he will have the mishima wavedash and 1,1,2 and EX deathfist is an instant kill if it hits.

congrats devil paul

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Medullah posted:

Hey I first played Kazuya in Tekken 1 because he had Ryu's colors and has a dragon punch and hurricane kicks. :)

Kazuya was very much the Ryu of Tekken 1 but yeah as early as 2 the series quickly diverted in all sorts of directions.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

he1ixx posted:

focus attack, arcade shock, 8arc, or ettoki. i usually buy crap from arcade shock cuz they're nearby and sometimes they give me vsav stickers that sit on my desk forever in a pile. also u may want to hold out until evo [or ceo which is in a week or two?] because at least one of the stick retailer places will probably have some kind of sale to coincide with the tournament.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
ok thanks, got the answers I was expecting. Will keep trying them until something clicks or I just find cooler than the others.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

1500 posted:

ok thanks, got the answers I was expecting. Will keep trying them until something clicks or I just find cooler than the others.

If you press triangle in the movelist you can cycle through displaying all the characters inputs. so you can check them out and see if they have cool looking poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Medullah posted:

Well ultimately it's for when I play with friends who all use different top button bindings so I don't need to trade controllers back and forth. But on a super optimistic note, if I were to ever play in some sort of real life match, I'm pretty sure bindings are discouraged.

All rebinding those buttons does it make it as easy to hit 1+2 / whatever on a pad as it is on a stick. Why reinvent the wheel on holding your controller for the sake of saving a hypothetical future opponent 5 seconds while you rebind a few buttons?