Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Brainworm posted:

And now, a Redditor who can't deal with an ordinary level of weird.

Me [20 M] my Girlfriend [19 F]- How do I get her to stop calling my manhood her adorable little "Princess Isabella"? (Im serious)
Dude definitely needs to get a dress for his dong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vaginas are like onions, or maybe just yours.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Just quote Shrek at her vagina sarlacc pit.

Two can play the nickname game.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barudak posted:

Dude you're 20, youre way too young to settle for garbage because its comfortable. You should be buying a case of live butterflies and letting it loose in her apartment with the note "I hope these last longer than our relationship did"

Yeah what a selfish oval office. If she's not gonna share it's like :frogout:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

]

Well if you have a major that's useless without a graduate degree that's another issue (I did too). From my experience it was working long hours of high quality labor for less than minimum wage, and I don't know of many terminal master's programs that actually pay you and waive tuition (or any doctoral programs at all if you're not in the sciences).

I dunno, for me it was the biggest mistake of my life and I'm only now, years later recovering from the opportunity cost of getting right out of college and making peanuts for years.

I got free tuition and about 20k a year stipend + health insurance do to my ms in Chem Eng, also job lined up before I finished. If what you do in grad school is worthwhile then you will get paid to do it, if not you shouldn't go into that program.

Like I wasn't rich but it was plenty to live off in a college town 1 bedroom.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

I got free tuition and about 20k a year stipend + health insurance do to my ms in Chem Eng, also job lined up before I finished. If what you do in grad school is worthwhile then you will get paid to do it, if not you shouldn't go into that program.

Like I wasn't rich but it was plenty to live off in a college town 1 bedroom.

Fair enough. Health insurance, Jesus christ!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah I got the same for doing an MSc in ecology, though I had to pay a relatively inexpensive tuition. Going to school in Not America probably helps.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guy getting a doctorate in philosophy: dang graduate school is such a rip off

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

Oh I think your advice is generally fine, a lot of people go into grad school just to kick the can of real life down a couple years farther and come out worse for the decision but I was just adding to it.

Don't do grad school if it puts you more in debt, number one sign of a useless program is if they can't pay you to be there. Some exceptions obviously but its a good rule of thumb.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Many masters programs don't pay, they treat those as a profit center for paying their "real" students. So, even if you just want a masters, enroll in a Ph.d program and just drop out once they award the masters.

I mean, in reality it's often not worth your time anyway but hey, whatever you want!

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Tender Bender posted:

Here in Canada, pretty much all the universities give you really really really good extended health coverage (like, they'll pay for everything, including dispensing fees) and that's on top of your general universal health care coverage.

Although apparently Quebec are weirdos about reimbursement, but they're weirdos about everything.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [25/F] dad [58/M] made some incredibly racist remarks towards my [25/M] fiance when we told him we were getting married. We agreed to not invite my dad to the wedding but my fiance never wants him to see our kids even though my dad wants to work things out.Relationships

We thought he'd be extremely happy. He threw a tantrum. It was ridiculous. It was crying,screaming, cursing our future kids because he didn't want black grand kids. Him telling me it was ok to date a black guy but not marry one in front of my fiances face. It escalated to physicality when my dad tried to charge my fiance and my fiance threw him to the ground.

I was caught off guard because my dads known him since our freshman year of college. He's been on multiple vacations and helped him get his start in Real Estate.
As a result My dad is no longer coming to our wedding. It was a hard decision to make, but my fiance didn't want him there. His family didn't want him there and he/his family made it clear if my dad was going to be there then they weren't coming. I'm extremely angry because our families were very harmonious and now they all look at me like I have those feelings too.

I tried to make the wedding a concession so that we could move forward but my fiance is absolutely hell bent on having no contact with my dad at all. We're currently talking about kids and I want to stay close to our families. He said he's fine with that as long as I understand that my dad will never see, touch, or interact with our kids nor will they be going over to my parents house because my dad said he didn't want black grand kids.

Not getting invited to the wedding was a huge blow to me and my dad, so he's trying to change but my fiance is having none of it. He blocked my dads number and any time I mention him he just stops talking or leaves the room. I invited my dad over last night to work things out and when my fiance saw he was there he left our apartment.

He told me explicitly he "loving hates my dad" and not to invite him over again if he's going to be home. My dad says he's sorry, but I understand my fiances anger. I wouldn't want to be around someone who said that either.

My fiances totally fine with my mom, and she's tried to talk to him and he still shuts down.
What do I do? I don't want to have to pick my future husband over my father, but I understand where he's coming from and I'm in love with him and have been for a very long time, so I'm going to marry him.

My dad's tried sending stuff to his office and calling him but he doesn't get a response.

Is there anyway to resolve this? I really don't want to have to sneak my future kids over to my parents nor do I want them knowing what my dad said about them. My Fiance said from the time they understand what race is they'll know their grand dads a racist and I don't think it's fair to deny him a relationship with them while allowing them one with the rest of my plutonic family.

TL;DR Dad my racist comments when we told him we're getting married. He's not invited to the wedding. He's seen the errors of his ways but my fiance will have no contact with him and doesn't want our future kids too either.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

my plutonic family.

Truly excellent freudian slip: family is hellish.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oof.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 9, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brainworm posted:

Oh relax. Benghazi 2 is fine. Pick is fine. They're ordinary people making ordinary decisions subject to ordinary human frailties. Not like these two:

Poirot here might just be on to something.

this guy is, uh, something

quote:

There are times when she does have my undivided attention, but then, say if I receive a phone call and am on it for 3 minutes. This will irritate her, and this situation usually ends up with her throwing blames at me and me apologising. She still has my undivided attention in such moments, but sometimes, one just cannot help it. I live with old grandparents, sometimes, they ask me to do a chore which takes another 5 minutes. She wont understand this.

quote:

She mentioned she was with her dad when this incident happened. I texted her dad a simple "Goodmorning. Have a nice day." My plan was to wait for his response and then ask him about her. The reply I get from her: "Dont involve my family, because then I will involve yours, and it will be really ugly." Then she blocks me from her dad's phone.

previous posts:

Me [29M] with my fiance [28F], she's mad over a comment on Instagram.
Me [30M] with my girlfriend [29F] of 3 years. She wants me to move to relocate to another country.
I (M30) want to breakup with my current girlfriend (F24), because I'm not over my ex (F30). How do I it?

so romantic...

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
There was a loving physical assault and she repeatedly characterizes it as just being racist comments. Fiance needs to loving :sever:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

There was a loving physical assault and she repeatedly characterizes it as just being racist comments. Fiance needs to loving :sever:

the dad's arteries, yes.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The only way you should be ok with a dad who attacks your fiance is if they use a sword and give them a sword first too and its like the Addams family.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
No dad don't bring out the ceremonial katanas you're embarrassing me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dad mishears son as him saying hell take him at "ones word"

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [25/F] dad [58/M] made some incredibly racist remarks towards my [25/M] fiance when we told him we were getting married. We agreed to not invite my dad to the wedding but my fiance never wants him to see our kids even though my dad wants to work things out.Relationships

We thought he'd be extremely happy. He threw a tantrum. It was ridiculous. It was crying,screaming, cursing our future kids because he didn't want black grand kids. Him telling me it was ok to date a black guy but not marry one in front of my fiances face. It escalated to physicality when my dad tried to charge my fiance and my fiance threw him to the ground.

I was caught off guard because my dads known him since our freshman year of college. He's been on multiple vacations and helped him get his start in Real Estate.
As a result My dad is no longer coming to our wedding. It was a hard decision to make, but my fiance didn't want him there. His family didn't want him there and he/his family made it clear if my dad was going to be there then they weren't coming. I'm extremely angry because our families were very harmonious and now they all look at me like I have those feelings too.

I tried to make the wedding a concession so that we could move forward but my fiance is absolutely hell bent on having no contact with my dad at all. We're currently talking about kids and I want to stay close to our families. He said he's fine with that as long as I understand that my dad will never see, touch, or interact with our kids nor will they be going over to my parents house because my dad said he didn't want black grand kids.

Not getting invited to the wedding was a huge blow to me and my dad, so he's trying to change but my fiance is having none of it. He blocked my dads number and any time I mention him he just stops talking or leaves the room. I invited my dad over last night to work things out and when my fiance saw he was there he left our apartment.

He told me explicitly he "loving hates my dad" and not to invite him over again if he's going to be home. My dad says he's sorry, but I understand my fiances anger. I wouldn't want to be around someone who said that either.

My fiances totally fine with my mom, and she's tried to talk to him and he still shuts down.
What do I do? I don't want to have to pick my future husband over my father, but I understand where he's coming from and I'm in love with him and have been for a very long time, so I'm going to marry him.

My dad's tried sending stuff to his office and calling him but he doesn't get a response.

Is there anyway to resolve this? I really don't want to have to sneak my future kids over to my parents nor do I want them knowing what my dad said about them. My Fiance said from the time they understand what race is they'll know their grand dads a racist and I don't think it's fair to deny him a relationship with them while allowing them one with the rest of my plutonic family.

TL;DR Dad my racist comments when we told him we're getting married. He's not invited to the wedding. He's seen the errors of his ways but my fiance will have no contact with him and doesn't want our future kids too either.
I wouldn't want this women for my mom. Racist white relatives are the last thing you want in a half black child's life. Fiance should sever. The moment her old man gets dementia that racism is going to get dialed to 11 and she going to coddle him even more.

"I don't want your father at our child's graduation. This day shouldn't be ruined."

"You don't understand, he's sick. :("

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is no good outcome that doesnt involve the dad and an unexpected, sudden, and immediatley lethal illness claiming him before he can even tell them hes dying.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe complications from being pushed over.

:discourse:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Lonely Virgil posted:

I wouldn't want this women for my mom. Racist white relatives are the last thing you want in a half black child's life. Fiance should sever. The moment her old man gets dementia that racism is going to get dialed to 11 and she going to coddle him even more.

"I don't want your father at our child's graduation. This day shouldn't be ruined."

yeah her comments totally show she's gonna marginalize the gently caress out of this. lovely situation but if she's not willing to put her foot down it'll only be worse if/when kids enter the picture, they don't need to see their mom justifying the behavior.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

No dad don't bring out the ceremonial katanas you're embarrassing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQiaurIiDM&t=31s

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Need an update after kids arrive :shepspends:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 9, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
hey so i got a 3 day probation in d&d for saying slavery is bad (long story) and missed pick's meltdown but here's some good stuff

I [37M] want to re-home our dog. My wife [33F] thinks I'm evil.

quote:

(Sorry if this is quite long!).

So my wife and I bought Gigi from an acquaintance about three and a half years ago when she was seven months old. Over the few months that followed it became clear that Gigi had been neglected to some degree at her old home. One of the biggest signs of this was her severe separation anxiety.

Despite trying our hardest to treat this anxiety, we've had zero luck. We've tried different trainers, vet prescribed medication, crate training, leaving her for short amounts of time then slowly building up. Nothing has worked, some have made it even worse. And I don't mean we've tried these once or twice, I'm talking routines lasting several months. This has cost a lot of money and we've almost entirely blown through our savings.

Obviously this has had a huge effect on our lives. We can't leave the house at the same time without bringing her along - so no more date nights, vacations and day trips. Hell we can't even go to the grocery store together because she freaks out at being alone in the car. We can't leave her at home alone even for short periods of time because she howls non stop and claws at the furniture and walls. We've had many complaints from our neighbours over the noise, one of who is retired and would rather not listen to a howling dog all day.

I work from home so peace and quiet during day is crucial for me. Since getting Gigi the quality and quantity of my work has fallen dramatically. She cries all day until my wife returns from work at around seven o clock. This means that I can't properly crack down on my work until then and I'm often working until 12-1 in the morning. She's also very clingy when one of us is out so it can be hard to move and get anything done. My wife and I have different days off so I have no time for my hobbies or alone time as still have to look after the dog all day. On my wife's day off she'll run out and do errands or meet with friends, leaving the dog at home with me while I'm trying to work.

Honestly, I'm at the end of my rope. It's like having a baby around constantly (something we agreed a long time ago was off the cards). I tried to sit down with my wife two nights ago and explain to her that we can't go on like this, not even being able to leave our home together. I also told her how my work has been suffering, how our savings we have spend the last ten years collecting are almost gone and how Gigi needs a home that can give her the proper help she needs.

To say my wife was angry is an understatement. She was crying and screaming that I was a terrible person for even considering getting rid of her and that this was making her reconsider our relationship. This hurt my feelings a lot so I decided to spend the night in the spare room. We finally sat down to talk this afternoon after she'd calmed down and she said while she understood my points only a truly evil prison would consider it a serious option and that Gigi would never recover from being 'abandoned'.

Is she right? Obviously it would absolutely break my heart to give her away but I really don't see another option here. I'm gonna go insane. Gigi needs professional help to make her better and we just can't provide that. We also can't spend the next decade of our lives trapped inside not being about to even go to the drat grocery store together. I don't want to lose my marriage over this but I can't keep living like this. What's the best course of action from here?

TLDR: our dog has severe separation anxiety that we don't have the resources to deal with. I want to find her a new home that can properly care for her but my wife wants to keep her and thinks I'm being evil for suggesting otherwise.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

maskenfreiheit posted:

slavery is bad

reported

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

hey so i got a 3 day probation in d&d for saying slavery is bad (long story) and missed pick's meltdown but here's some good stuff

I [37M] want to re-home our dog. My wife [33F] thinks I'm evil.

pretty sure you said war is good and cool.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

pretty sure you said war is good and cool.

i said qatar is a slave owning dictatorship and it wouldn't be the worst thing if they got invaded, which broke the circlejerk, which pissed off their new tankie mod

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
:siren: Florida Man :siren:

[Florida/Texas] Man I rejected won't stop texting me and sending me flowers (self.legaladvice)

quote:

Background: I moved from Florida to Texas last year. I was raised in a Muslim community where "arranged" marriages are common. By "arranged" it's usually arranged by friends and family, i.e. a man or woman tells their friends that they're looking to get married and they try to play matchmaker for them.

I'm not religious and I have no interest in getting married this way. I was honestly never even a part of the Muslim "community" , but I do have a few friends who are actively involved in the community and I used to occasionally go to their events, but not regularly at all.

A few months ago I got a text from a random Florida number. A man, we will call him Mo, introduced himself, said he was new to Florida (from a city hours away from where I grew up), and that he grew up in Palestine. He said he saw my picture on Facebook and asked around about me. He was able to get my number from someone and wanted to reach out to me because he liked me. He linked my to his Facebook and LinkedIn to "prove" that he was "legit". We had no mutual Facebook friends.

I straight up told him "I'm not interested at all, sorry. I left Florida a year ago and I'm not looking for this type of marriage. Also who gave you my number?"

He never answered about who gave him my number but instead just started going on about how I should give him a chance, and started sending me pictures of himself, and talking about how he could give me a good life. It was incredibly creepy, and I told him "please do not contact me again. I am not interested".

Over the next week I received dozens of random messages from him like "hey" "hey" "hey how are you?" "Hey, can I just ask you something ?" "Hey can I call you?" To which I responded to none. Eventually I realized I could block his phone number on my iPhone and I did. I thought it was the end of it. I also blocked him on Facebook.

A couple of weeks later I got a call from the leasing office at my apartment building, that I had a flower delivery. The delivery didn't specify the apartment number, so it was just given to the front office. I was surprised because I couldn't think of who would send me flowers. Sure enough, it was Mo, with a card that said "give me a chance to show you how happy I can make you".

I was incredibly freaked out because I had no idea how he could've known where I lived. I told my best friend about it and we figured that whoever gave him my number must have also helped him figure out where I lived. My apartment complex the previous month had asked its residents to make a post to instagram with their hashtag for a chance to win a few free months of rent so I had done that. I quickly deleted any post that indicated where I lived( my instagram is otherwise private) and deleted my Facebook account entirely.

Another couple of weeks passes and yesterday I got another call from my leasing office that I had a flower delivery. And yup, again from Mo, this time with a note that says "I don't understand why you won't answer my calls or texts. Please just give me a chance". I told the office manager that if this company tries to deliver flowers for me again to please not accept them.

My friend suggested to me that I unblock his phone number to see what kind of messages he's been sending me, since he would still be able to send messages even though he's blocked. I unblocked his number, and within the next hour I started receiving his messages again. The messages were like "[my name], please answer me. I sent you flowers again." "Fine bitch, I was just trying to kill some time but clearly you're nuts" "sorry I didn't mean that" "I'm not giving up on you". "I want to come visit you" "please answer me".

I need advice on what steps to take to stop this harassment. I literally have never met this guy, and have no idea how he found my number. I don't know if I should threaten to call the police, or just go directly to them. I am moving out of my apartment in august when my lease ends, and I don't plan to tell anyone where my new apartment is. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Edit to add: I contacted some of my Muslim friends in Florida and none of them know who the hell this guy is.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lonely Virgil posted:

Or, and hear me out, they open up to grandpa, and help him work through his prejudices and they can all grow to be better people?

Haha, no this is the internet where everything is an extreme moral-equivalence test.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Or, and hear me out, they open up to grandpa, and help him work through his prejudices and they can all grow to be better people?

Haha, no this is the internet where everything is an extreme moral-equivalence test.

l m a o

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

Nice try old man, you're still not seeing the kid.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

The black man who wants nothing to do with a racist who tried to assault him for thinking about marrying the racist's daughter sure does need to grow as a better person.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

blarzgh posted:

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Let racist into your life, and you can make them better people somehow. Man, why haven't me and other black people ever thought of that.

Racism is over.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
*fruit on the bottom withdraws coolly*

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [22M] date with a girl [22F] I met on-line went badly, and I fear that I've really hurt her

Hope he doesn't own a bunny.....

Someone I knew did this to a guy and then the next day buzzed him to go sorry I didn't mean to say those things we're cool right? Then was super mad at him when he withdrew future plans at that point AND got mad at me when I tried to explain to her wtf you can't just do that sort of thing to someone.

She's 38. She's blocked now.

Edit: She didn't do the am I pretty part because she was and she knew it.