Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

mysterious loyall X posted:

focus attack, arcade shock, 8arc, or ettoki. i usually buy crap from arcade shock cuz they're nearby and sometimes they give me vsav stickers that sit on my desk forever in a pile. also u may want to hold out until evo [or ceo which is in a week or two?] because at least one of the stick retailer places will probably have some kind of sale to coincide with the tournament.

Oh wow. Found a sweet stick at Arcade Shock. Thanks very much. These sites are getting bookmarked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel a little better about complaining about the box RNG now.... these are all the characters I've gotten items for while playing Josie for ~280 matches. Notice who's missing :v:

1500 posted:

ok thanks, got the answers I was expecting. Will keep trying them until something clicks or I just find cooler than the others.
Clearly the most important thing is aesthetics, so you should consider going to customization and see who you can make the coolest :c00lbutt: You should also mess around a bit in practice mode with anyone that interests you, try out some BnB combos and see what type of playstyle they have. A lot of the characters have some sort of gimmick/stance that you may or may not enjoy. For instance, I thought I'd really like Miguel but after trying out his moves in practice mode I didn't really like the Savage Stance. And I thought Claudio's Starburst mechanic was dumb but really liked it after trying it out! :v:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

FallenGod posted:

All rebinding those buttons does it make it as easy to hit 1+2 / whatever on a pad as it is on a stick.

It is already equally easy to do on both.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If you press triangle in the movelist you can cycle through displaying all the characters inputs. so you can check them out and see if they have cool looking poo poo

cool thanks

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Brosnan posted:

It is already equally easy to do on both.

claw grip is really uncomfortable for me personally as i have freakishly huge hands, ymmv

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I guess there's no penalty for rage quitting? Just had multiple people rage quit on me back to back to back.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I think I remember reading that there is a penalty, they're just not saying what it is yet? I'm phone posting right now so I can't find anything but I want to say it was either a Twitter post or on the steam community forums.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Foodahn posted:

I think I remember reading that there is a penalty, they're just not saying what it is yet? I'm phone posting right now so I can't find anything but I want to say it was either a Twitter post or on the steam community forums.

Your name turns yellow, then red eventually. Lets people know you're a big baby(or alternatively, "The Salt must flow"). No point penalty though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

BattleTech posted:

Your name turns yellow, then red eventually. Lets people know you're a big baby(or alternatively, "The Salt must flow"). No point penalty though.

So your name changes colour and thats it? Man Japanese devs really don't understand the rage quitting problem do they.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

So your name changes colour and thats it? Man Japanese devs really don't understand the rage quitting problem do they.

A quick double check and this quote is the only official thing I can find: There is a penalty in place but we don't want to talk about it too much so cheaters don't start to circumvent it even BEFORE the game is released.

VIA: https://steamcommunity.com/app/389730/discussions/0/1291817837618657641/

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ugh I will say this game makes you feel really, really stupid when you lose. Lots of times when I lose I don't even know why I lost cause there's just so much to know and a lot of certain things I just won't know unless someone tells me :(

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
yeah playing this game without learning your frames and your opponent's frames is a waste of time

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zand posted:

yeah playing this game without learning your frames and your opponent's frames is a waste of time

I know my frames-ish but knowing every little detail of all the other characters is a lot to take in. So a move I thought beats sidesteps apparently only beats it to the right, not the the left. I lose to a move that high crushes apparently despite it not even looking remotely so.

My biggest lesson of tekken 7 is bring back VF. Even if you don't know your poo poo that game communicates so much visually to you its a big help(plus you know, a tutorial).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Canadian posted:

Ugh I will say this game makes you feel really, really stupid when you lose. Lots of times when I lose I don't even know why I lost cause there's just so much to know and a lot of certain things I just won't know unless someone tells me :(

Yeah, I appreciate the sentiment of "getting your rear end kicked is the first step to learning" but Tekken is a drat hard game and I like I said earlier I feel that if the player you're fighting is much better than you (aka. big skill difference) then it becomes really hard to learn anything. There's so much going on in a match of Tekken at once, and when my opponent is just completely wiping the floor with me I just feel like "what's even going on anymore." Not knowing frame data or match-ups also make things more difficult, like I fought a Lee who seemingly attacked forever and I couldn't even get in a sidestep, duck or jab and then I was dead. I just had no idea what he was doing or how to counter it.

Likewise, if you're getting your rear end kicked by this One Weird Asuka Mix-Up you can go into practice mode and use the record function to practice on it.... but sometimes it's hard (at least for me) to even know what moves the opponent used because it just felt like one long 100-0 combo and I wouldn't be able to replicate it in practice mode :v:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

yeah, skill gaps make learning hard in everything. you wouldn't learn much playing chess against Bobby Fischer and the little league team isn't going to get any better playing the Yankees. it's just the nature of the beast. but getting completely dominated sure helps some people get a thirst for improvement/"the taste of blood" and do hella self-study

finding good competition for your level is important though and it's pretty easy online

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

I literally just learned about button buffering today: https://youtu.be/wBpSTK4Sjio

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I was playing a bunch of matches VS a friend on Steam and we were trying out different characters. I picked Kuma as a joke but actually wound up winning almost every time I used him. Is he strictly a joke character or is he at all worth using?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

You're probably way better than me, but I've felt like it hasn't been too hard to understand my mistakes even if the solution isn't immediately obvious. Stance characters like Ling and Hwo give me the most trouble but I don't mind slowly figuring stuff out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I appreciate the sentiment of "getting your rear end kicked is the first step to learning" but Tekken is a drat hard game and I like I said earlier I feel that if the player you're fighting is much better than you (aka. big skill difference) then it becomes really hard to learn anything. There's so much going on in a match of Tekken at once, and when my opponent is just completely wiping the floor with me I just feel like "what's even going on anymore." Not knowing frame data or match-ups also make things more difficult, like I fought a Lee who seemingly attacked forever and I couldn't even get in a sidestep, duck or jab and then I was dead. I just had no idea what he was doing or how to counter it.

Coming from basically zero knowledge of how to play the game, I accept that I'll almost certainly be "good" at Tekken 7. Maybe passable at a handful of characters, but never reaching anything approaching mastery. Unless you've been playing the series consistently for years, every character has so many moves and minor tricks to keep in mind that jumping into it fresh can be really overwhelming.

In something like Overwatch, the separation between myself and someone on the pro level mostly comes down to aiming ability and character positioning. Matters of mechanical skill and reflexes mostly, whereas the difference between myself and someone like Knee is that I'm lacking a whole encyclopedia of moves and frame data in addition to pure muscle memory and mechanical skill. I'm still having fun because I'm being matched up against people who are similarly clueless, but I'm sure there will be a point relatively soon when my fundamental lack of knowledge will become more apparent.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Your Computer posted:

Likewise, if you're getting your rear end kicked by this One Weird Asuka Mix-Up you can go into practice mode and use the record function to practice on it.... but sometimes it's hard (at least for me) to even know what moves the opponent used because it just felt like one long 100-0 combo and I wouldn't be able to replicate it in practice mode :v:

Can you get replays with input display? Tekken is a confusing mess if you're not "in" already, I feel, but at least you can see what they were pressing then.

I still haven't got the game, but I did get to play it a bit the last two days. Kazumi is real simple and fun and pretty, and I strongly recommend her if you're bad like me and want a character with simple stuff. I took 30min in training mode and kinda got a couple of punishes down, basically just do f4 into df1 something whenever they fly into the air, and it seemed to be basically it. Played a handful of online matches, won against some other bad people by doing uf2 and magic 4/b1 a lot, lost against people that actually played the series and could punish me just doing whatever tech I mashed.

It's a fun game. You can play dress-up with your characters. I spent all of my friends' cash prettying up my Kazumi.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

What you're saying is true of any fighting game. If you're getting beat by one thing, go to practice mode and figure out that thing they are beating you with. Before consoles they didn't even have practice mode.

So, man up

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Booyah- posted:

What you're saying is true of any fighting game. If you're getting beat by one thing, go to practice mode and figure out that thing they are beating you with. Before consoles they didn't even have practice mode.

So, man up

"just figure it out"

"but it's hard to even know HOW to figure it out"

"gently caress you you scrub suck my dick"

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dias posted:

"just figure it out"

I said how to figure it out. Look at what beats you, and try it in training mode.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Even Aris has said that Tekken 7 is kind of lacking in its tutorialization

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

Can you get replays with input display? Tekken is a confusing mess if you're not "in" already, I feel, but at least you can see what they were pressing then.

It's a fun game. You can play dress-up with your characters. I spent all of my friends' cash prettying up my Kazumi.
I don't think there's any sort of replay feature at all. I've recorded some matches manually (which can be helpful) but even then it can be hard to figure out what the opponent is doing. Like you say, Tekken is definitely... complicated. That's why I think the Aris videos are so fantastic, he explains stuff that a lot of Tekken veterans take for granted because it's so basic but it's mindblowing how much I'm learning from it. Even more so because I've never played fighting games before, so explaining stuff like gameplan, spacing and punishes and stuff are super helpful.

Also, heck yes dress-up is very important.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In something like Overwatch, the separation between myself and someone on the pro level mostly comes down to aiming ability and character positioning. Matters of mechanical skill and reflexes mostly, whereas the difference between myself and someone like Knee is that I'm lacking a whole encyclopedia of moves and frame data in addition to pure muscle memory and mechanical skill. I'm still having fun because I'm being matched up against people who are similarly clueless, but I'm sure there will be a point relatively soon when my fundamental lack of knowledge will become more apparent.
Yeah, Tekken is a stupidly complex game and it's impossible to be great at it without a whole lot of knowledge (and ability to apply that knowledge in-game). I'm content with never becoming "good" at Tekken, but the game is still really great (and fun if you get a good match-up) so I'm enjoying it a lot and I still feel like I have a lot to learn just on a basic level. Then, when I reach my scrub limit, presumably there will be other uncompetitive scrubs like me and we can all fight and have fun together in our scrub tier so I'm not worried :v:

Booyah- posted:

So, man up
did you read my post at all
e:

Booyah- posted:

I said how to figure it out. Look at what beats you, and try it in training mode.
oh you didn't read my post at all

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I will say though that this game would be much better if it had a replay feature. That's really useful in learning about your own matches.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Booyah- posted:

You were just being antagonistic. :shrug: Tekken is pretty hard to learn and T7 doesn't even have a good tutorial, it's fair to be annoyed and vent a bit. I'm not even sure if the replay feature helps in learning what the gently caress you got hit with.

edit: wait there ain't even a replay feature? That sucks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Even Aris has said that Tekken 7 is kind of lacking in its tutorialization

He posted a video about the sample combos at the bottom of the move list being a huge wasted opportunity for combo trial systems.

I dont mind cause you can pin them to the screen but gamifying them would certainly get more people to explore the move lists.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I did read it

quote:

if the player you're fighting is much better than you (aka. big skill difference) then it becomes really hard to learn anything. There's so much going on in a match of Tekken at once, and when my opponent is just completely wiping the floor with me I just feel like "what's even going on anymore." Not knowing frame data or match-ups also make things more difficult, like I fought a Lee who seemingly attacked forever and I couldn't even get in a sidestep, duck or jab and then I was dead. I just had no idea what he was doing or how to counter it.

You have to figure out "what's even going on anymore." This is tough without replays! But it's how you have to learn.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just play and play and play and look up a thing when it makes you mad. I mean unless you got aspirations and need to do hw for serious

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Evil Canadian posted:

I know my frames-ish but knowing every little detail of all the other characters is a lot to take in. So a move I thought beats sidesteps apparently only beats it to the right, not the the left.

Moves that beat sidesteps universally are called homing and have a little spinny icon beside em in the move list. No, the game doesn't actually tell you what the icons mean (outside of maybe mentioning it in a tooltip). Thanks Harada.

I totally get the venting tho. Learning how/what to punish seems like an insane amount of knowledge. I mean that's one of the hard things about all fighters, but it seems even harder to me in Tekken because every character has a hundred goddamn moves and a lot of them look kinda similar. "Punish the mid kick with this. No, not that mid kick, the other one." Times that by 30 characters and 100 moves.

It's hard not getting paralysed by it but my personal consolation is that I know my fundamentals are garbage and that honestly until I get better with those applying any knowledge isn't gonna do that much for me. I mean obviously you have to know how to punish a bit to play, but there's a million other things that are holding me back besides move knowledge that I can/should work on first.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 10, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also I learned that homing moves have white sparkles on them. I don't know where I learned that, but I know it wasn't from the game :v:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

"just figure it out"

learning how to learn, and learning how you as an individual learn, is part of the path to getting good at basically anything that takes effort or study. nobody here owes anyone else a handholding through their self-improvement. for a lot of people getting good at anything competitive is a deeply personal journey of constant struggle, defeat, and the overcoming of obstacles.

believe in yourself..!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
On the other hand it's kinda cool that a lot of the game is based around mobility, because you can kinda overcome the "learn all the strings" thing by just, y'know, sidestepping/backdashing a string and doing a launcher. It makes beginner Tekken a lot easier.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Anyone play Feng? What are his panic moves? I use ss+4 but I read something about auto Parry stance and some other things?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

learning how to learn, and learning how you as an individual learn, is part of the path to getting good at basically anything that takes effort or study. nobody here owes anyone else a handholding through their self-improvement. for a lot of people getting good at anything competitive is a deeply personal journey of constant struggle, defeat, and the overcoming of obstacles.

believe in yourself..!

I learned that I have a lot of fun calling out obtuse motherfuckers like yourself, and I learned that I learned quite a bit by dispelling the weird "just play and get better, you scrub" mentality early on because this ain't 1997 anymore and people kinda know their poo poo.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Repeatedly losing to obviously bad players online has made me realize just how incredibly bad I am at this stupid lovely game. :smith:

That said, it's funny to see how some of my opponents have incredibly specialized skill sets:

- One Heihachi with flawless movement, wavedashing and throwing out EWGF's like it was nothing, but couldn't combo at all and kept spamming the power crush.
- One extremely aggressive Lars with sick combos that didn't seem to be at all able to block.
- One Bryan whose entire movement game consisted of holding back, who was a beast at punishing.
- A bunch of people who has obviously only memorized 3 of their character's moves, but one of them is always a 10-string for some reason? :psyduck:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

He posted a video about the sample combos at the bottom of the move list being a huge wasted opportunity for combos systems.

I dont mind cause you can pin them to the screen but gamifying them would certainly get more people to explore the move lists.

Didn't Dark Ressurection do this? You input the move from the movelist and it says "ding" and you get a little checkmark. I expected to see that when I started inputting stuff in the movelist in T7, so it was pretty unsatisfying when nothing happened :(

Booyah- posted:

I did read it
You said

Booyah- posted:

If you're getting beat by one thing, go to practice mode and figure out that thing
and my entire point was about situations where you're not being beaten by one thing. I even gave an example! If you're being beaten by one thing (like in my example, an Asuka mix-up) then it's easy to go into practice mode and practice it.

But my point was that a lot of the time, for a total beginner like me, I'm getting stomped and I don't even know what moves the enemy is using. To take another example, let's say I go up against a Nina and she wrecks me completely. In that fight, she might've used 30 different moves. I wasn't being wrecked by "one thing", I was wrecked by everything. Especially without a replay (and even with) it's hard to pinpoint what exactly it was that murdered me, because it was all a blur of arms and legs and then I was dead. I can't very well go into practice mode and input that entire fight into the record feature so what am I supposed to do?

And heck, even if the skill levels were more equal a match can last for 5 rounds. There's a lot of moves you can get owned by in that amount of time and trying to remember all of that while also fighting and then finding all the inputs later in practice mode and practicing on it is hella hard! :shobon:

The more knowledge of everyone's movesets, frame data and whatnot you have the easier this becomes (since you can keep an eye out for "that one thing" that fucks you up) but please understand that to a beginner who probably hasn't even seen half of the moves in the game this might be impossible/less useful.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

attackmole posted:

I totally get the venting tho. Learning how/what to punish seems like an insane amount of knowledge. I mean that's one of the hard things about all fighters, but it seems even harder to me in Tekken because every character has a hundred goddamn moves and a lot of them look kinda similar. "Punish the mid kick with this. No, not that mid kick, the other one." Times that by 30 characters and 100 moves.

Why would you try to punish a generic mid when there's plenty of obvious strings and launchers you can learn to deal with first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

I learned that I have a lot of fun calling out obtuse motherfuckers like yourself, and I learned that I learned quite a bit by dispelling the weird "just play and get better, you scrub" mentality early on because this ain't 1997 anymore and people kinda know their poo poo.
i dont think anyone here really has the mentality of "just play and get better"

i mean even in the post of mine you quoted i didnt say that. i get that you have some sort of crusade or whatever going on but its really not fair to someone asking for advice to tell them that the advice everyone else is giving them is bad and offer none of your own.