Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I mean if you're afraid that politicians might give you lip service and then immediately stab you in the back for power, then supporting pragmatic centrists is the worst thing you can do short of voting for actual bigots, because sacrificing anything and anyone necessary to grab onto power is the basis of pragmatism as an ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The number of people willing to let 'their people' continue suffering rather than make common cause with people they regard as distasteful is frankly mind blowing. I suspect a lot of people would rather be correct than make progress.

Also, if you keep hearing dog whistles everywhere maybe you should get yourself checked for tinnitus.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Pragmatic centrism basically created the bathroom panic and turned LGBT activism into a single issue push for gay marriage because homeless queer youth isn't a sexy issue.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gtrmp posted:

It's amazing how so many people who point to LGBT rights as an immutable core principle of the Democratic platform have shoved the party's adversarial-at-best relationship to LGBT activists prior to 2012(ish) down the memory hole. The liberal "allies" who spent a decade arguing for separate-but-equal civil unions in lieu of same-sex marriage loved to claim that nationally legalizing gay marriage was a political impossibility and would remain so for the foreseeable future.

Theres a vast difference between 'civil unions are the best I can give you now, but I will keep pressing for full marriage equality' and 'civil unions are the best you will ever get, full equality will never ever happen'.

E: not disagreeing with your post in any way, just clarifying that incrementalism can be cool and good so long as everyone remembers theres supposed to be a goal beyond the increment

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Not a Step posted:

Theres a vast difference between 'civil unions are the best I can give you now, but I will keep pressing for full marriage equality' and 'civil unions are the best you will ever get, full equality will never ever happen'.

Even when the votes were entirely symbolic (like after the 2006 dem wave) they were basically self-sabotaging entirely symbolic bills with the impulse to compromise on poo poo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

I mean if you're afraid that politicians might give you lip service and then immediately stab you in the back for power, then supporting pragmatic centrists is the worst thing you can do short of voting for actual bigots, because sacrificing anything and anyone necessary to grab onto power is the basis of pragmatism as an ideology.

No dispute here! People who call giving you so much as lip service a morally and strategically suspect act, though? Even less appealing ally material!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I feel like R L Stephens has a great take on this issue of representation versus economic inequality:

http://www.orchestratedpulse.com/2016/02/beyonce-slays-black-people/

And by the way, if you haven't, make sure you read Stephens and listen to his podcast, because the guy is loving awesome.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Not a Step posted:

Theres a vast difference between 'civil unions are the best I can give you now, but I will keep pressing for full marriage equality'
Is there example of a national politician who publically held this position prior to marriage equality being broadly popular?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

twodot posted:

Is there example of a national politician who publically held this position prior to marriage equality being broadly popular?

Not that I can recall, but Im not super knowledgeable about it. My point was more to say that I would understand a candidate who offered me a half measure because they couldnt get the whole thing, but promised to keep pressing, while I would be considerably less enthusiastic about a candidate who offered a lovely half measure as a means to placate with no intention of ever pressing forward. The Democrats seem rather short on one and overflowing with the other.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Not a Step posted:

Not that I can recall, but Im not super knowledgeable about it. My point was more to say that I would understand a candidate who offered me a half measure because they couldnt get the whole thing, but promised to keep pressing, while I would be considerably less enthusiastic about a candidate who offered a lovely half measure as a means to placate with no intention of ever pressing forward. The Democrats seem rather short on one and overflowing with the other.
I think we can all agree that it is hypothetically possible for a politician to be good, but it doesn't seem very much relevant to the discussion unless we have actual examples.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

twodot posted:

I think we can all agree that it is hypothetically possible for a politician to be good, but it doesn't seem very much relevant to the discussion unless we have actual examples.

Sometimes I like thinking about good things and holding a tiny, tiny ember of hope in my heart for just a moment

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Not a Step posted:

E: not disagreeing with your post in any way, just clarifying that incrementalism can be cool and good so long as everyone remembers theres supposed to be a goal beyond the increment

"Pragmatic" Democrats love shifting over from "this is the best we can do right now" to "this is the best we can do, period, and saying otherwise is an attack on our accomplishments" the first time they run into any significant pushback. See for instance, the ACA, which was sold as the first step towards real health care reform while it was being drafted, but once it passed, any suggestion that it could be improved upon in any way was treated as a betrayal of the Democrats' values and leadership.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not a Step posted:

What if in order to get the half measure, your negotiating posture has to be that you won't ask for the full measure because the other side fears the slippery slope?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

What if in order to get the half measure, your negotiating posture has to be that you won't ask for the full measure because the other side fears the slippery slope?

Because "start the negotiation with an intractable opponent by offering our compromise position and then work forward from there" has worked out so well for the Democrats thus far, right?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

lol at the idea Obamacare is "half" of anything resembling decent healthcare reform. or that the Democrats are "half" way to anywhere

it was a bailout for the insurance companies and most of their "progress" over the past 30 years has been continued corporate bailouts. what actually have they passed that's good again?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

gtrmp posted:

It's amazing how so many people who point to LGBT rights as an immutable core principle of the Democratic platform have shoved the party's adversarial-at-best relationship to LGBT activists prior to 2012(ish) down the memory hole. The liberal "allies" who spent a decade arguing for separate-but-equal civil unions in lieu of same-sex marriage loved to claim that nationally legalizing gay marriage was a political impossibility and would remain so for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, I remember how it took the Log Cabin Republicans to get rid of DADT. And somehow this hasn't been a mark of shame for the Democratic Party, that it took their political enemies to undo a major piece of their own bigoted legislation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

No dispute here! People who call giving you so much as lip service a morally and strategically suspect act, though? Even less appealing ally material!

So pragmatic centrist Democrats like Hillary and Obama who campaigned against marriage equality, citing their religious belief that marriage is a biblical institution between a man and a woman, now sit down and be quiet gays you're hurting your own cause?

I assume that's who you're referring to, because my questions of "which politicians on the left actually said this" have gone unanswered.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Right because the Republicans didn't immediately start yelling about the slippery slope to communism once Democrats passed Romneycare and let Republicans poo poo it up with terrible amendments.

Lol at "if we meet them halfway, Republicans will be grateful and return our good faith" in 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Centrists are centrists because that's what they believe in, they're not secret communists. You may as well join the tea party if that's what you think.

The half-baked pre-compromised answers are not 'the means to and end', they are 'the end'.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
then why the evolution in public statements

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
My state, ladies and gentleman.

quote:

There is truly no defeat the Florida Democratic Party will avoid snatching from the hands of victory. Donald Trump has turned the Republican Party radioactive. His polling numbers are plummeting right alongside the GOP as a whole. And the nation is seeing a groundswell of progressive activism at levels not witnessed since the 1960s.

So how does the new, incoming brass running the Florida Democratic Party respond? By telling constituents that "issues" don't matter and that it's not the party's job to focus on policies that will actually help anyone, like single-payer health care.

Last night, the party's new second-in-command, Sally Boynton Brown, spoke in front of the Democratic Progressive Caucus of Broward County. And throughout the exchange, she steadfastly refused to commit to changing the party's economic or health-care messaging in any concrete way.

"This is not going to be popular, but this is my belief of the time and place we're in now: I believe that we're in a place where it's very hard to get voters excited about 'issues,' the type of voters that are not voting," Brown said.

Brown, the former executive director of the Idaho Democratic Party, was hired last month to take over for the outgoing executive director, Scott Arceneaux. Last night was her first encounter with local progressives, who are already disgruntled after Stephen Bittel — a billionaire real-estate developer, gas station franchiser, environmental dredging company executive, and major political donor — was elected to serve as party chair earlier this year. Many progressives accused him of buying his way into the job via campaign donations.

And Brown's speech perfectly illustrates why the Florida Democratic Party (and the party in general) can't seem to get out of its own way and actually win elections.

How important is it for candidates to concentrate on "issues" like health care or economic equality, one audience member asked. Her answer? Not very. She said candidates moving forward should focus on "identity messages" instead, which she didn't actually define.

Later in the meeting, she then said that people who are struggling to make ends meet — and often decline to vote because they say it doesn't matter — do not vote based on "issues" they care about and instead vote because they are "emotional beings." She added that people apparently skip voting because they've somehow forgotten about the "power of democracy," whatever that means.

She also said that taking money from large corporations such as Florida Power & Light could somehow be a good thing — and that the "relationship" created when gigantic corporations give thousands of dollars to political candidates can somehow make it easier for politicians to push back against corporations when they are "raping our country."

"It's not so much about the money controlling the conversation; it's about the people controlling the conversation," she said. "And right now, unfortunately, we live in a system where you have to have money to work the system."

(That system seems to be working pretty well in Florida as it is.)

Brown then attempted to explain what she believes the party's strategy ought to be instead. She contradicted herself multiple times and wasted a lot of air deflecting the fact that she wouldn't commit to forcing candidates to pushing for progressive changes that could help people — and perhaps excite them to get to the polls. Here's her nonsensical answer in full:

quote:

"At the end of the day, what really matters, is what our candidates decide to do. So, two things to that. One, I believe that the FDP needs to have an overarching 'identity message' that we are making sure that we are driving out to everybody. And, in that identity message, we identify key issues, health care definitely being one of them, and then we educate our candidates to be able to go talk about those with the best of their ability. So, I believe that the way that we have those conversations needs to be drastically different than the way it has been. As Democrats, I think we continue to try and connect with voters' heads around 'issues,' and 'facts,' and 'truth,' when we are now in an era of emotional politics, where people are scared, and we have to figure out how to connect with their hearts. And I think we have a lot of experimentation to do on how that happens. And I am not prepared to try and say 'issues' don't do that. Because I know there's a lot of people who think differently. What I would like to do is test different 'scripts' that really talk about that, and what I know is that health care and having accessible health care for all is one of the number-one issues that we have."

Brown was right, in that her viewpoint didn't get anyone excited. After she finished her answer, the man who asked the question literally walked right out of the room as she was answering the next question.

The answer was so confusing that at roughly 35 minutes into the clip, an elderly black woman asked Brown to clarify her point. She brought up the fact that poor people of color don't get motivated to vote for Democrats because both major parties haven't done much to help those communities prosper in decades.

"You're not touching their issues," she said to Brown. "The platform has to come from issues. Can you explain that to me so I can get unstuck?"

Brown then explained that, as a person in charge of party "staffing," she's not in charge of what policies her candidates push. And then she contradicted herself a split-second later by admitting it's her job to "elect Democrats."

"My job is to elect the Democrats who go do the governance and then go figure out the policies and issues," she responded.

And then yet another audience member chided her for her answer.

"You sort of hinted when you first answered that you felt that what got people out to vote wasn't really issue-oriented," the man said. "The evidence is that that's not really true at all. Voter participation tends to crash, but when somebody tends to bring out issues, that's when [people] come out. We saw that with Bernie Sanders. And so I think you have a contradiction there."

At this point, Brown argued that poor people are simultaneously struggling to make ends meet but also don't vote based on what policies will benefit them.

quote:

"I believe that what we saw with Bernie was a phenomenon that did not just have to do with issues he was talking about. I believe it was much more than that. Trump had a similar phenomenon. And frankly from Justin Trudeau all the way to the future around the globe, we have seen similar phenomenons. The issues have not been the same everywhere. So, I believe that people are emotionally reacting to the emotion. I believe, and again I don't have the data to back this up, but is that Bernie found a core group of people who were excited about 'issues,' and their passion, and enthusiasm, and energy created an emotion that more people reacted to. That's what I saw from an outside perspective."

She added that "they are emotional beings who are struggling to make a living, and they need to know that somebody's going to be on their side and be able to help them."

"They're struggling to make a living over issues," the audience member responded. "Those are economics."

"I'm not going to get into the hard-head debate," she said. "I'm just sharing my perspective and that we absolutely will do data testing to see which scripts work best [and then share that with our candidates]." (So now Brown's job does include deciding policy? What?)

It's worth noting that Hillary Clinton's campaign relied on data testing to an almost extreme degree in 2016 and lost catastrophically after much of that data turned out to be wrong.

Let's pause for a second: Who is not an "issues person"? Politics is entirely about issues. The basic reason you vote for anyone is because you want that person to accomplish things that make your life better. Who are these "emotional beings" that get excited about candidates but don't care about policy?

The rest of the meeting didn't inspire much more confidence. Brown was also asked about the party's plan to convert formerly red states or counties to blue ones — and her response was that she had spent the past six years working to instead turn Idaho "purple," and that's the best we ought to hope for in Florida (which voted twice for Obama).

"I think that it's unrealistic to think that you convert red counties to blue," she said. "I think you have to ask red counties to come up with a long-term strategic plan on how they're going to move the needle forward, and the FDP is committed to working with them, and making sure that they have resources to accomplish that plan."

(Genuine question: Does the party not realize it needs to win Republican-held seats to win a majority at the state or federal level?)

"I'm lost someplace," one woman eventually said. "I understand what you're saying, but I don't fully agree with it. We have lost the governorships. We have lost most of the races. But I hear the people in Washington saying, 'Change? We don't need to change.' Democrats have not won on the basis of saying, 'We are not as bad as the other guy.' If you don't run with candidates on decent issues, people are still not going to vote."

Another woman then jumped in and called the current party a "dirty church."

Brown's actual response: "I am starting to get tired."

In perhaps the most tone-deaf statement of the night, she said voters can be persuaded to go to the polls by reminding them they can "change their lives" through the "power of democracy."

So poor people have just forgotten about the power of voting rather than resigned themselves to the fact that no matter what party they vote for, their lives never seem to get better. That explains it!

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/florida-democratic-party-president-poor-voters-dont-care-about-issues-vote-based-on-emotions-9358887

(and, admittedly, this is the perfect example why you should pay attention to your state/local politics outside of election time. I've been out of the loop on that level and had no idea that the FDP put this idiot in charge or the past history of the party which explains the absolutely terrible candidates we always get stuck with)

(and and, before anybody tries to jump on me, i vote in every election including primaries. but i normally do my homework for state/local once i get my sample ballot in the mail.)

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because they're opportunists.

Either in the sense that they've never believed their 'new' stance but were willing to take it (note: taking a position doesn't mean they'd actually act on it once they're in power) due to public demand (let's say Hillary Clinton on mass incarceration/the drug war) or that they've always believed in their 'new' stance but they were never willing to publically stand behind it because the optics weren't right or they couldn't figure out a way to properly deceive their more moderate base (giving Hillary the benefit of the doubt, gay marriage)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 10, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I guess that's why you voted for Trump in Florida

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

shrike82 posted:

I guess that's why you voted for Trump in Florida

The irony of that statement coming from a noted contrarian troll that admitted to voting for Trump 'for the lulz'. All people have to do to figure out how full of poo poo you are is to hit the '?' by your post. You switched your gimmick in this very thread. Your early posts run completely counter to your later ones.

(And even if people don't agree with my actions or conclusions, I hope they can see there was thought behind it)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 10, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's pretty fascinating to see people like CmC rationalize their vote for Trump after the election.
It's one thing to stay at home during election day out of disgust of the globalist party but another to actively go out and vote for Trump, especially in a state like Florida.

People like him are reasons why the left in the US can be easily painted as white racists.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Agnosticnixie posted:

Pragmatic centrism basically created the bathroom panic and turned LGBT activism into a single issue push for gay marriage because homeless queer youth isn't a sexy issue.

The gay marriage fight was actually a good one to pick. You can't really legislate "gay people good/bad" in court so instead you generally pick a smaller proxy fight that when won grants you the larger set of rights that you desire. In this case we not only won the right to marry but also the idea that gay people are covered by the same civil rights protections that cover black people, women, etc. That's loving huge and will have positive legal ramifications for decades. The trans bathroom issue is the same thing. It's kind of petty in and of itself, but the consequences of winning will mean vastly increased legal protections for trans people beyond just bathroom privileges.

But yeah, we really do need to address the homeless issue.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
*Call me Charlie post*

What the gently caress kind of idiots are putting people like Brown in charge of poo poo?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Negotiating as a Democrat, a play in three acts

ACT I:

An OFFICE in WASHINGTON D.C.

A DEMOCRAT: My constituency is deeply worried about their access to healthcare. I will push for healthcare for all! Other, lesser nations than grand America have achieved it! So shall we!

ANOTHER DEMOCRAT: Careful as you go! The Republicans will never stand for services for all! You must reign in your idealism and prepare to negotiate for half of what you want, lest you get nothing!

ACT II:

The FLOOR of CONGRESS

DEMOCRAT: I propose a bill providing for healthcare for all!

ENTER A REPUBLICAN

REPUBLICAN: Healthcare for all is but the first step on the path to dreaded Communism! If you push for health care I will fight you tooth and nail and have your name dragged through the dirt! My constituents will never vote for you!

DEMOCRAT: The votes of your constituents are very important to me, because I find my own voters very fickle! I am prepared to settle for market based insurance available to all. What do you say to my generous compromise?

REPUBLICAN: Market based insurance available to all is but the first step on the path to dreaded Communism! If you push for market based insurance available to all I will fight you tooth and nail and have your name dragged through the dirt! My constituents will never vote for you!

DEMOCRAT: The votes of your constituents are very important to me, because I find my own voters very fickle! I am prepared to settle for market based private insurance at inflated rates required of all, with penalties for those who refuse. What do you say to my generous compromise?

REPUBLICAN: Market based private insurance at inflated rates required of all, with penalties for those who refuse, is but the first step on the path to dreaded Communism! (fade out as REPUBLICAN continues)

ACT III:

An OFFICE. A group of LOBBYISTS are just leaving

DEMOCRAT: Well, I have passed a bill today in the Congress to make all Americans purchase health care from a private insurer for minimal coverage at high rates on pain of tax penalty! Lets see what my constituents have to say about this grand victory!

ENTER A CONSTITUENT

CONSTITUENT: You have sold us out to lobbyists and Republicans! This new law is awful!

DEMOCRAT: I had to be pragmatic to get anything done at all! You just don't understand the art of negotiation!

CONSTITUENT: If I had any other choice I would vote for them instead! Perhaps next election I shall just stay at home!

CONSTITUENT storms out

DEMOCRAT: Why are my voters so fickle? If only I had the Republican's voters instead! That gives me an idea!

END

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's actually a pretty good illustration nas.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because that's what their focus groups told them to do.

Also, they only ever 'evolve' on issues that don't threaten their corporate donors. Public option has a lot of support now, but we're told 'it's never going to happen'. Why? Because they don't want it to happen.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Not a Step posted:

DEMOCRAT: Why are my voters so fickle? If only I had the Republican's voters instead! That gives me an idea!

Next week: how I cut social security in exchange for a balanced budget, a play in 3 acts

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Reading this thread makes me feel hosed over and hopeless.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Join the dsa.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

readingatwork posted:

The gay marriage fight was actually a good one to pick. You can't really legislate "gay people good/bad" in court so instead you generally pick a smaller proxy fight that when won grants you the larger set of rights that you desire. In this case we not only won the right to marry but also the idea that gay people are covered by the same civil rights protections that cover black people, women, etc. That's loving huge and will have positive legal ramifications for decades. The trans bathroom issue is the same thing. It's kind of petty in and of itself, but the consequences of winning will mean vastly increased legal protections for trans people beyond just bathroom privileges.

The fight for gay marriage wasn't one that the Democrats picked in the first place. The legal precedents that might be applied as a result of the relevant Supreme Court decisions can be attributed to the Democratic Party, they came about because gay rights activists backed the relevant cases.

And the case that brought down DOMA was specifically a suit seeking the marriage exemption from estate taxes for a multi-million-dollar inheritance. Even when the result is expanded civil rights for all, moneyed professionals are the ones who actually get the squeaky wheel greased, which is why disproportionately bougie civil rights issues like marriage inevitably take priority over housing and employment protections.

By contrast, the only money that's at stake by allowing (or, for that matter, denying) bathroom access to transgender people is money that stands to be lost by cities and states that are boycotted as a result of those bans. For example, if the ban passes in Texas, it's estimated to cost the state hundreds of millions of dollars a year in lost revenues from businesses pulling out of the state in protest. Centrists and other fiscal conservatives might not be willing to support trans rights, but they'd be less inclined to cave in and oppose them if it'd cost their state a billion-plus dollars by the time they're up for reelection.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Lightning Lord posted:

Reading this thread makes me feel hosed over and hopeless.

"hosed over" has some truth to it, but I don't think you need to feel hopeless. I think there's a good chance that progressives can force the Dems to at least get on the road to reform by 2018, and I think that Labour's unexpectedly good showing yesterday strengthens our case.

Also,

rudatron posted:

Join the dsa.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

DeadlyMuffin posted:

So what is the modern rhetoric of social justice? Has the definition changed recently?

Here's the common perception: Centrists are developing social justice into a wedge-issue for getting the base to vote against their economic self-interest.

You're hobbled if you treat economic justice and social justice as mutually exclusive. Centrists are cultivating this problem.

The solution is not accepting their new version of social justice from which the economic dimension is surgically excised. We shouldn't jettison recognition of the integral nature of poverty, labor protections, the justice system's unaffordability, etc. to issues of oppression.

The right's pushing nativist populism? The left's pushing emancipatory populism, and centrists used to. Now they don't. Now they say, "[would breaking up the banks] end racism? Nooo!"

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 10, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
^^ I hadn't thought about it until this post but separating out elements of an ideology could be seen as a straight up symptom of triangulation itself. I always thought it was a result of opposing economic justice but needing to pay lip service to justice in order to get votes. I mean, I still think it's also that, but thinking about it a universal concept of justice is completely impossible to triangulate on. You need to break things down into tiny little pieces if your only navigating principle is what polls/focus groups well.

And if your entire job, your entire worth as a political actor, relies on things being split into tiny pieces you're going to react very poorly to anyone suggesting there's an underlying principle in play. Plus, since you only view things as little pieces your default position is going to assume other people are doing the same thing and view their actions through that lens and distrust them when their actions seem odd through that lens.

Could be a source of the "ideological purity" charge centrists throw out. Yeah I still think it's often a cynical ploy to undermine the left. But, maybe some do it because they don't get having an ideology that underpins all your views and positions. And so to them it appears that the left is arbitrarily picking a bunch of tiny little pieces and pretending they indicate a virtuous person in order to undermine other people's chosen pieces.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 10, 2017

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

rudatron posted:

Join the dsa.

dick sucking alliance? but im already a member

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Futuresight posted:

^^ I hadn't thought about it until this post but separating out elements of an ideology could be seen as a straight up symptom of triangulation itself. I always thought it was a result of opposing economic justice but needing to pay lip service to justice in order to get votes. I mean, I still think it's also that, but thinking about it a universal concept of justice is completely impossible to triangulate on. You need to break things down into tiny little pieces if your only navigating principle is what polls/focus groups well.

And if your entire job, your entire worth as a political actor, relies on things being split into tiny pieces you're going to react very poorly to anyone suggesting there's an underlying principle in play. Plus, since you only view things as little pieces your default position is going to assume other people are doing the same thing and view their actions through that lens and distrust them when their actions seem odd through that lens.

Could be a source of the "ideological purity" charge centrists throw out. Yeah I still think it's often a cynical ploy to undermine the left. But, maybe some do it because they don't get having an ideology that underpins all your views and positions. And so to them it appears that the left is arbitrarily picking a bunch of tiny little pieces and pretending they indicate a virtuous person in order to undermine other people's chosen pieces.

What's crazy about triangulation is that it's constantly undermining the civil rights of the people that people are claiming to be triangulating to protect.

Remember, North Carolina dems twice undermined the fight against anti-trans legislation in North Carolina out of attempts to triangulate and ended up not only losing that fight, but also losing LGBT employment protections and wage protections.

Triangulation said to bring out the Khans to earn some pro-Muslim cred, but also, in the same convention, bring out Bloomberg who tore apart the civil rights of New York Muslims so traumatically that for years many Masjids were scared to let new people attend prayers.

Triangulation said to have a private meeting with BLM, while also bringing in the guy who defended Stop and Frisk overwhelmingly targeting black and Hispanic people with "well they matched the description of troublemakers."

As long as triangulation is the main policy of the Democrat party, no one can trust them to have your back. People still defending the DNC are just people who haven't realized that in the current atmosphere their rights are also available for sale the moment it becomes politically expedient to do so. "The Democrats have protected us for years" - well these are the new Democrats, and you are valuable to them only until they can get some "political capital" for selling you out.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

All kidding aside, when posters in this thread rail against neo-liberals this is what they're thinking about.

It also, not incidentally, why we desperately need folks who were excited about Sanders but lukewarm about Hillary to sharpen their focus on local elections and leadership positions.

edit: that being said, if you think it was the superior strategic or moral choice to let the proposed ACA die because it didn't go far enough (it didn't), you've got no loving standing denouncing others as out-of-touch elitists. I don't fault anyone for complaining about the places where it falls short--join the loving club--but passing it was better than not passing it, full stop.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 10, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dems only supported gay marriage because it cost them $0 to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Dems only supported gay marriage because it cost them $0 to do so

If anything, getting the gay market into the wedding industry was a major boon to the economy.

• Locked thread