Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Gann Jerrod posted:

Entertainment Weekly has a big article about Ducktales and shows some new characters. This is my most anticipated show this year.

PFT needs to play an rear end in a top hat rival to the main character in every animated show. He's been pure fire in Bojack and I remember his Adventure Time and Regular Show episodes stood out. "Pfft... actors."

Edit: Oh poo poo beloved character actress Margo Martindale I am 120% in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Gann Jerrod posted:

Entertainment Weekly has a big article about Ducktales and shows some new characters. This is my most anticipated show this year.

It definitely looks good from what we've seen so far, I'll have to keep an eye on it. Shame it doesn't come out until August, though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm convinced that the reason people say that is because the only the diehard fans stuck around after season 2. They are sort of like the people that say the Simpsons is still good.

Nah I started watching when Season 3 aired and enjoyed it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

God you nerds got to stop being such giant nerds.

NEVER!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nah I started watching when Season 3 aired and enjoyed it.

Yeah, the back half of Korra is actually legitimately good and pretty much everyone I've seen that stuck around to get that far seems to agree, it's not perfect by any means but it is a major step up from what the show was like at the start.

To be fair, the disjointed nature of the series isn't entirely the creators' fault. Korra was originally going to just be a one season miniseries but Nick eventually demanded more leaving the writers without any real plan of where to go from there (which probably explains why the first season was so rushed and the second seemed like a massive step backwards for the franchise).

That's why the show doesn't really start establishing much in the way of a cohesive narrative until the second half. If they'd known it was going to last as long as it did (or at least that they were guaranteed one more season) they might have been able to plan things better and the show probably would have ended up being a lot less polarizing as a result.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 8, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the back half of Korra is actually legitimately good and pretty much everyone I've seen that stuck around to get that far seems to agree, it's not perfect by any means but it is a major step up from what the show was like at the start.

To be fair, the disjointed nature of the series isn't entirely the creators' fault. Korra was originally going to just be a one season miniseries but Nick eventually demanded more leaving the writers without any real plan of where to go from there (which probably explains why the first season was so rushed and the second seemed like a massive step backwards for the franchise).

That's why the show doesn't really start establishing much in the way of a cohesive narrative until the second half. If they'd known it was going to last as long as it did (or at least that they were guaranteed one more season) they might have been able to plan things better and the show probably would have ended up being a lot less polarizing as a result.

At the same time, didn't Nick want it to be a longer series initially, and the creators insisted on making the first season a standalone miniseries?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

At the same time, didn't Nick want it to be a longer series initially, and the creators insisted on making the first season a standalone miniseries?

Yeah, the story behind Korra's production was kind of a mess all the way around (though they were able to at least end the series fairly well). It's also probably one of the big reasons why we won't be getting another show any time soon (Nick doesn't really care about it and the original creators are kind of burnt out at the moment).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CRINDY posted:

PFT needs to play an rear end in a top hat rival to the main character in every animated show. He's been pure fire in Bojack and I remember his Adventure Time and Regular Show episodes stood out. "Pfft... actors."
He was also great in the Equestranauts episode of Bob's Burgers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

Well, poop:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU6Uvr_A5pM/
Looks like Miraculous S2 release has been postponed until fall, possibly as late as October. Which I guess we should've seen coming what with the Halloween episode and all. At least it can't be later than October thanks to that.
It'll also drop 13 and 13 in two chunks, which mirrors the Netflix season 1 release.
God drat it.

I'm currently travelling through Europe, and while I occasionally spot a bit of Miraculous merch, mostly it's PJ Masks junk everywhere. And to me, PJ Masks is "the French CGI superhero cartoon that doesn't have a tenth of the imagination, energy, wit or charm of Miraculous."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When does Miraculous hit its stride? I watched the first episode and it seemed like Sailor Moon, but in cg and for younger children.

Glomgold should run for President mayor and be soundly defeated.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Beachcomber posted:

When does Miraculous hit its stride? I watched the first episode and it seemed like Sailor Moon, but in cg and for younger children.

Glomgold should run for President mayor and be soundly defeated.

At this point the episodes have been aired in a different order just about every place they've been aired, so it's hard to say. I will say that Mime, King Food, and Stormy Weather are probably the top three? As a general rule the more over-the-top the villainy is the better the fights are, I think.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It definitely looks good from what we've seen so far, I'll have to keep an eye on it. Shame it doesn't come out until August, though.

Oh hey, I may have spoken too soon

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

The big thing I wish there was more of from S3 and 4 is more Zaheer and his crew and more of the old Gaang faffing about like Old Lady Toph

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

David Tennant is great as Scrooge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The big thing I wish there was more of from S3 and 4 is more Zaheer and his crew and more of the old Gaang faffing about like Old Lady Toph

Granny Toph was awesome yes, I do wish the old cast had been given a bit more to do though (I understand why they didn't as it wasn't really their story anymore but a few extra nods here and there might have been nice), almost everybody showed up at least once (even Iroh) though so that was neat.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 9, 2017

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Trebuchet King posted:

At this point the episodes have been aired in a different order just about every place they've been aired, so it's hard to say. I will say that Mime, King Food, and Stormy Weather are probably the top three? As a general rule the more over-the-top the villainy is the better the fights are, I think.
The Mime, Mr Pigeon, Pixelator, Puppeteer, Simon Says, Reflekta and Kung Food are the best for nutso imagination and good action. (Stormy Weather, IIRC the first episode made, is probably also the weakest as it's not quite 'there' with the show's format; it's heavily front-loaded with the babysitting stuff - I don't think Ladybug appears until over halfway through - and unlike the other episodes the villain has no prior connection at all to the heroes, though they later retconned her to be at the same school. The creators were still finding their feet, and I think it shows.)

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Completely off-topic, but I still can't believe they made a children show out of Trolls of Troy. Obviously it's watered down from the comics, but still, whose brilliant idea was that?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Of course, if you want to see an extension of Avatar that hits upon the themes of the four nations trying to get along, the complications of industrialization in a spiritual society, or what happens with the main characters after the war's over, read the comics. They're great and better than Korra.
Really? All I've heard is that the first one is mediocre and that it just gets worse from there, reaching "truly awful" levels in the last ones.

Gaunab posted:

I always thought Korra took the magic out of Avatar. The world in last airbender seemed to be a world shaped around bending whereas Korra was a world that wanted to be modern.
It was kind of inevitable considering the industrial advances of the Fire Nation during the war. Frankly, I thought having the bad guys in season 1 be anti-benders was illogical, a reactionary movement by benders angry at the loss of power and job opportunities brought by this industrial revolution would have made more sense. Plus, we could have said that it was prophetical!

TwoPair posted:

*Side note: this never made a lot of sense anyway according to the show's own rules. Earthbending was supposed to be hard for Aang because the elements were diametrically opposed; so Korra, the natural waterbender, should have problems with fire. But at the show's beginning, baby Korra's already throwing flames and for some reason when she gets to Republic City she has problems with airbending because ???
All the old rules went out the window when the world went without an Avatar for more than a hundred years. I personally thought it was a great move to have the Avatar reflect her era so much : her instant mastery of water, earth and fire reflected places like Republic City and sports like pro-bending, with their mix of different bendings, and her inability to pick up airbending reflected the world's loss of spirituality as well as the scarcity of airbenders compared to other benders.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the story behind Korra's production was kind of a mess all the way around (though they were able to at least end the series fairly well). It's also probably one of the big reasons why we won't be getting another show any time soon (Nick doesn't really care about it and the original creators are kind of burnt out at the moment).
Another problem is that this show is probably expensive as gently caress. Not on the level of The Clone Wars, but still, really expensive. Animation this gorgeous cannot come cheap. Don't we all remember that one of the issues with season 2 was the shift to Pierrot for the first episodes?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Larryb posted:

Wasn't another problem with Korra with how only a few of the writers from TLA were around for Korra, that could have probably helped with the narrative problems the show had for the 1st two seasons.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Payndz posted:

The Mime, Mr Pigeon, Pixelator, Puppeteer, Simon Says, Reflekta and Kung Food are the best for nutso imagination and good action. (Stormy Weather, IIRC the first episode made, is probably also the weakest as it's not quite 'there' with the show's format; it's heavily front-loaded with the babysitting stuff - I don't think Ladybug appears until over halfway through - and unlike the other episodes the villain has no prior connection at all to the heroes, though they later retconned her to be at the same school. The creators were still finding their feet, and I think it shows.)

Hm, that's fair--I just really like the action sequence atop the TV studio building in that episode, and that's probably coloring my judgement. I agree with your list of good eps, I might add Princess Fragrance just because the Chat Noir factor, though. My absolute favorite remains The Mime though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

achillesforever6 posted:

Wasn't another problem with Korra with how only a few of the writers from TLA were around for Korra, that could have probably helped with the narrative problems the show had for the 1st two seasons.

It wasn't even a few of the writers, IIRC the only writers for Season 1 were the creators Konietzko and DiMartino, and obviously when you only have two pairs of eyes going over everything there's gonna be a lot more bad ideas that slip through.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not just that industrialism has taken the magic out of the world, it's that bending itself is totally demystified. Lightning bending used to be one of the hardest things to do, and now it's just a lovely day job, which is kinda funny, but it means these working schlubs all have some weird complicated inner piece from 9 to 5. Then as the show goes on, most of the bending seems more gimmicky than anything else, everybody's gotta have some wacky specialty to be important. Also there's the fact that season 2 is all about how the spirit world has a totally non-complex black and white morality.

When I was watching the show, I never really knew what to expect at any time, so I never really knew what to make of it. They started out trying to hype up Korra as some kind of tough guy, but through most of the series she spends most of her time getting beaten up. The show then acts like the big issue it's going to confront is benders vs. non-benders, but never really addresses the core issue of what it means to have a society literally biologically divided into haves and have-nots. They put a lot of plot importance on very vaguely defined concepts. There was a similar deal with the importance of a disunited Earth Kingdom in the last season; I never really got what the structure of the Earth Kingdom was considering it had a monarch who had some nebulous responsibility for the safety of villages outside Ba Sing Se.

When you think about it, there must be all sorts of weird ethnic issues too in Republic City, what with all the street cops being Earth Nation and the way that different benders are only capable of certain jobs in addition to the whole bender v. non-bender Rodriguez thing. It seems like a missed opportunity.

X_Toad posted:

Really? All I've heard is that the first one is mediocre and that it just gets worse from there, reaching "truly awful" levels in the last ones.

Well, I liked them a lot at least. I never actually got around to the last one, but I liked the ones I read. The first arc is all about the problems with decolonization when certain parts of the Earth Kingdom have been inhabited and ruled by the Fire Nation for over a century, which seemed like such a direct thing dealing with real political concepts compared to Korra.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, I liked them a lot at least. I never actually got around to the last one, but I liked the ones I read. The first arc is all about the problems with decolonization when certain parts of the Earth Kingdom have been inhabited and ruled by the Fire Nation for over a century, which seemed like such a direct thing dealing with real political concepts compared to Korra.

There's also the issue of the time jump between shows, I believe Korra is supposed to take place like 50 or so years after TLA which means we don't really get to see the aftermath of the war and how the nations handled reconciling with each other leading to the world we see in Korra where they're all suddenly inter-mingled with each other (hell, you could probably do an entire series just dealing with that whole lost time period). So it's nice the comics are at least trying to cover some of that ground.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 9, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly the gap between the end of ATLA and Korra should have been a lot longer

Also the overall fight choreography for Korra sucks compared to ATLA, Bending almost universally looks pathetic in the former compared to the latter

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

Margot Martindale and Paul F. Tompkins.

This actually excites me for both BoJack season 4 AND for DuckTales.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Keeping with Nick chat, Butch Hartman has released two videos where designed characters from Danny Phantom 10 years later. It's an interesting watch since he goes through at least three designs for each character and spitballs story ideas around.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

Margot Martindale and Paul F. Tompkins.

This actually excites me for both BoJack season 4 AND for DuckTales.

BoJack Horseman obviously doesn't belong in the kids show thread, but I'm super happy that PFT and Character Actress Margo Martindale are getting more VA work.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Also the overall fight choreography for Korra sucks compared to ATLA, Bending almost universally looks pathetic in the former compared to the latter

this is not an opinion that anyone who watched the fourth season would have

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I just started watching ATLA and the bending choreography is amazing. The characters all use their bending powers a lot more resourcefully than in other shows with elemental magic. For example, the characters in Captain Planet all tend to just shoot energy blasts or raise the same earth pillar out of the ground over and over, but Aang does things like use his airbending to create suction and move things short distances, and they make use of ventilation ducts and pipes to reroute bending effects over long distances. It's great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gaunab posted:

Keeping with Nick chat, Butch Hartman has released two videos where designed characters from Danny Phantom 10 years later. It's an interesting watch since he goes through at least three designs for each character and spitballs story ideas around.

Then he decides to cheat and uses character designs from Ultimate Enemy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I totally forgot Johnny Bravo and Adam West had a team up. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMiO8xcTQk

Also one of my favorite BTAS episodes ever.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 10, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rewatching Korra after finishing one for the orginal show and out of curiosity, aside from Dante Basco as Iroh II and Greg Baldwin reprising his role as the original did any of the other voice actors from TLA return for Korra in some capacity?

Also in the story of the first Avatar was that Dan Green as the leader of the squad Wan was traveling with in the beginning and Charlie Adler as the lemur-esque spirit who was protecting the oasis? Because if not they both sounded really familiar to me for some reason.

Finally just wondering, but what exactly was wrong with Korra's second season? As while not great I've kind of been enjoying the whole Water Tribe civil war arc and Wan's story was pretty good as well. Is it because a lot of aspects of the first season are just dropped without much if any explanation and the characters generally act like assholes to each other at times (though then again, aside from Korra, Tenzin and his family, and, to a lesser extent, Lin none of the new characters in this series really clicked with me the same way the old cast did)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 10, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
One reason was that the villain was really bland and not very memorable.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Mraagvpeine posted:

One reason was that the villain was really bland and not very memorable.

Two was they didn't advertise it at all. I didn't know it was back until the 3rd season was about to be dropped from tv. Then again, I seem to have dodged a bullet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Two was they didn't advertise it at all. I didn't know it was back until the 3rd season was about to be dropped from tv. Then again, I seem to have dodged a bullet.

That one was more Nick's fault than anything else but I agree about the bad guy being a generic super villian type character though. The whole relationship drama got annoying too (to the point where at times Asami felt more like a prop than she did an actual character) but fortunatly there wasn't too much focus on that.

I'm not defending the season by any means, it's just that it didn't seem as completely terrible overall as I remembered (at least in concept if not in execution). The show does get much better in the final two seasons though (especially the last one).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 10, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My favourite Terrible Revival Show was probably Xiaolin Chronicles - had a strong start with the demolition of the temple in the opening episode, then Ping-Pong was a french child who looked like Omi for some reason (Him just being called Ping-Pong due to being Chinese would have been worse and the nickname stuck fine, but making him French was just impenetrable), Chase Young became a Diva who's new second-in-command couldn't take him seriously. I loved the sequence where he does random Kung Fu then lays an egg that hatches into Shadow and it just cuts to her staring at Chase quizzically going "Seriously? That's how I was born?" Even she couldn't believe how stupid her own backstory was.

The Dojo reactions were really lazy and it had a dumb ending, but overall me and my brother stuck with it as we both loved the original series and we were transfixed by the terrible decisions - it wasn't even hate-watching, we were genuinely enjoying laughing at it. It was like a trainwreck - we couldn't look away lest we miss exactly how this carriage crumples into the carriage behind it and what kind of mess that would leave behind.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

My favourite Terrible Revival Show was probably Xiaolin Chronicles - had a strong start with the demolition of the temple in the opening episode, then Ping-Pong was a french child who looked like Omi for some reason (Him just being called Ping-Pong due to being Chinese would have been worse and the nickname stuck fine, but making him French was just impenetrable), Chase Young became a Diva who's new second-in-command couldn't take him seriously. I loved the sequence where he does random Kung Fu then lays an egg that hatches into Shadow and it just cuts to her staring at Chase quizzically going "Seriously? That's how I was born?" Even she couldn't believe how stupid her own backstory was.

The Dojo reactions were really lazy and it had a dumb ending, but overall me and my brother stuck with it as we both loved the original series and we were transfixed by the terrible decisions - it wasn't even hate-watching, we were genuinely enjoying laughing at it. It was like a trainwreck - we couldn't look away lest we miss exactly how this carriage crumples into the carriage behind it and what kind of mess that would leave behind.

Some of the changes are understandable(all the Shen Gong Wu had to have their names changed because WB still had the rights to the old names because of the TCG for the old show, and having to change all the VA's due to it being done in Canada), but most were really bad ideas

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Three was the lovely animation studio that did some of the episodes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Saw a preview for tomorrow's new episode of PPG and man it's going to be a weird one, even by that show's standards

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drrockso20 posted:

Saw a preview for tomorrow's new episode of PPG and man it's going to be a weird one, even by that show's standards

Well don't tease us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Well don't tease us.

If I weren't phone posting I'd give more info