Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Looks like 3 out of the 5 of Butler's Top 25 recruiting class are staying. Kyle Young hasn't said anything, but is friends with Cooper Neese. So I think he'll stay. I don't know about Christian David.

Collier has already interviewed two of the assistant coaches for the jobs. He's also interviewing Micah Shrewsberry and Lavall Jordan. No word on Matthew Graves. If we can't get Graves, I'd rather have Jordan and maybe bringing on Shrewsberry and Ronald Nored as assistants. At this point, Butler needs someone with ties to the program who isn't going to leave unless the NBA comes calling. We need some loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's the way to never getting another top 25 class again.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Kibner posted:

That's the way to never getting another top 25 class again.

Well we aren't getting any more classes like that in a while. I'd rather have one of those guys I mentioned who can build on the foundation with the guys we have now than a retread like Crean, Groce, Romar, etc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

pubic works project posted:

Well we aren't getting any more classes like that in a while. I'd rather have one of those guys I mentioned who can build on the foundation with the guys we have now than a retread like Crean, Groce, Romar, etc.

I'm just saying that making "loyalty" that high of a priority is a sure-fire way to get nothing but mediocre to bad coaches.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kibner posted:

I'm just saying that making "loyalty" that high of a priority is a sure-fire way to get nothing but mediocre to bad coaches.

Kim Anderson was the truest son to ever true son at Mizzou.

I wish him well now that he's gone, but if he somehow ever got close to the job again I would be forced to hope he developed terrible health problems that made him quit coaching.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
You do not want a "loyalty" hire lmao

It just leads to a fractured fanbase if the hire turns out mediocre or worse

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well, the last 5 head coaches for Butler, from Matta to Holtmann, were all promoted assistants. Collier seems to know what he's doing with them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--It does seem like in June an interim assistant would be the right way to go. If you decide he's your guy hire him full time, if not re-asses at the end of the year.

Lessail posted:

It just leads to a fractured fanbase if the hire turns out mediocre or worse

This is also a good point. There are some (old, out of touch, insane) Missouri fans who believe Kim Anderson was on the right track. Kim, who had a .284 winning percentage in 3 years and managed to run off 11 or 12 scholarship players, most of which he recruited. But this faction still exists.

It's worth noting out of fairness that he didn't come into a good situation, but it still seems impossible to be bad enough for a loyalty hire to have the entire fan base behind getting rid of him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jordan's been a head coach for one year and his team was awful. If he had played literally anywhere else he wouldn't sniff a job like Butler in a million years

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Looks like 3 out of the 5 of Butler's Top 25 recruiting class are staying. Kyle Young hasn't said anything, but is friends with Cooper Neese. So I think he'll stay. I don't know about Christian David.

Collier has already interviewed two of the assistant coaches for the jobs. He's also interviewing Micah Shrewsberry and Lavall Jordan. No word on Matthew Graves. If we can't get Graves, I'd rather have Jordan and maybe bringing on Shrewsberry and Ronald Nored as assistants. At this point, Butler needs someone with ties to the program who isn't going to leave unless the NBA comes calling. We need some loyalty.

Is it realistic to think you're going to get Shrewsberry for just an assistant role?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Is it realistic to think you're going to get Shrewsberry for just an assistant role?

I just realized that he's 40 and still with Boston. I thought he was younger and would want the top assistant coach position.

Ideally, after doing some more reading, I think Shrewsberry is the best choice. He's not the best recruiter, but surely his NBA years would have to count for something. Bring Ronald Nored, keep Terry Johnson and I think you have a good coaching staff.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kibner posted:

Sometimes you make what you think is a loyalty hire and they still leave you anyway. :smith:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Butler has agreed in principle with LaVall Jordan to be our next coach. I was waffling between him and Shrewsberry. I imagine Collier knows what he's doing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, if Jontay Porter reclassifies Missouri will have five players who are 6'10" or taller.

Last year they were super small by big time conference standards. Technically they had two 6'10 guys, but one of them tore up his knee early in the season and the other one was recovering from hip surgery all year. He played some, but you can tell he couldn't really move. So the bulk of the interior play was a 6'8" guy and a 6'7" guy.

But either way 5 of those guys is a lot by most any standards. They might even do things like rebound, which I've been told is a rare basketball play where your team get the ball after a missed basket.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
http://es.pn/2tqvmTt

NCAA issues punishment for Pitino and UofL. Pitino suspended for the first 5 ACC games this season, the program has to vacate all wins from Dec 2010 through July 2011, and 4 more years probation. That would include the 2013 title and 2012 Final Four. They have 45 days to notify the NCAA which games the ineligible players played in, which should include the title. Louisville will appeal.

It sure looks to me like the banner is in pretty serious jeopardy, but I'm honestly surprised Pitino didn't get anything more severe.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Come on NCAA, give em the death penalty.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

http://es.pn/2tqvmTt

NCAA issues punishment for Pitino and UofL. Pitino suspended for the first 5 ACC games this season, the program has to vacate all wins from Dec 2010 through July 2011, and 4 more years probation. That would include the 2013 title and 2012 Final Four. They have 45 days to notify the NCAA which games the ineligible players played in, which should include the title. Louisville will appeal.

It sure looks to me like the banner is in pretty serious jeopardy, but I'm honestly surprised Pitino didn't get anything more severe.

Uh, am I missing something

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A typo. 2011 should be 2014.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Yeah, typo, it's 2014.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Speaking as uofl alumni, the ncaas ruling is both complete horseshit and completely deserved.

I cant defend complete and institutional idiocy. It goes double when you factor in Ricks sex scandal. To try and pull having hookers for the players, after the coach has a very public sex scandal leak, makes Trump look like Einstein.

Whether the banner stays up or goes down, Fire Rick.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Mother gently caress. Holtmann just poached Kyle Young from Butler. I really hate it when poo poo like this happens, especially when it's my school.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cordell Pemsl just had surgery to repair two torn groin muscles that he somehow played basically the entirety of last season with, which seems insane. He averaged 9/5 and shot 62% from the field as a true freshman playing with two torn groins.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Mother gently caress. Holtmann just poached Kyle Young from Butler. I really hate it when poo poo like this happens, especially when it's my school.

If it makes you feel better a 2018 recruit just de-committed today, leaving Ohio State with a grand total of 0 for the year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern assistant Pat Baldwin is the head coach at UW Milwaukee.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Northwestern assistant Pat Baldwin is the head coach at UW Milwaukee.

Good for him, but is UW-M like a total dumpster fire right now? I thought even the school or athletic department was having serious issues. Kind of weird to see coaches from Northwestern getting hired away.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bird in a Blender posted:

Good for him, but is UW-M like a total dumpster fire right now? I thought even the school or athletic department was having serious issues. Kind of weird to see coaches from Northwestern getting hired away.

A system wide cut of 250 million will do that to ya.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn's likely one-and-a-half and done Austin Wiley makes USA U19 team, blowing everybody away after adding like 25 pounds (that's good!) Incoming freshman Chuma Okeke suffers a possibly not good sounding knee injury at those tryouts (that's bad!)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's truly a new era of Mizzou basketball

quote:

A 23-year-old (presumably former) University of Missouri employee drove his Volkswagen Passat through a gate outside Mizzou Arena early Sunday morning. According to the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the driver then somehow managed to steer said car onto the basketball court inside the arena, causing roughly $100,000 in damages.

According to the Dispatch, police officers determined that the damage was caused around 4:00 a.m. Sunday morning; they were called out to investigate three hours later. The current suspect, Nathaniel Conant, reportedly drove his vehicle through a gate on the arena’s south side before driving his car into the arena via its loading dock.

http://deadspin.com/police-mizzou-employee-causes-100-000-in-damages-whil-1796426975

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Available for jokes:

drive to the hoop
kick the tires
ball handling
dribble drive
fast brake
wheel offense
turnover
pick and roll

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The new UNLV logo sucks. Focuses on the wrong colors imo

https://twitter.com/unlv/status/880160841915449344

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Bamba's brother is trying to get the NCAA to disqualify Bamba by alleging violations with a financial advisor: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/06/29/texas-mohamed-bamba-alleged-recruiting-violations

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well that will get you uninvited to Thanksgiving

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cross-posting. This can't be good for recruiting can it?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Is this is the first time the media has reported that he's the one who reached out to a team? The other 3 or 4 times he's been linked to nba teams in the last few years haven't really affected much

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://twitter.com/UKCoachCalipari/status/880622566305652736

Sounds like he contacted the Knicks himself!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Oh no he might have to settle for a 4* recruit this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Peppering in a few 4* would actually help his program be more successful in the tournament in my opinion.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He has literally made the final 4 in half his seasons at UK

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't say his postseason record was bad, just that it could be better with a few more upperclassmen. It's a scary concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Counterpoint: having lots of super good players is actually good, as evidenced by his extremely successful teams

• Locked thread