Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hate it when there are only two options on a menu, but you can't immediately tell which is the one you've highlighted just by glancing at the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:eyepop: getting a 'bone port

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mak0rz posted:

Similar: games where you can only access the options menu while in game and not on the title screen. JRPGs had a habit of doing this for a long while.

Or the inverse.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thought Kingdom Hearts were menu games?

If that were a Platinum joint you might have my attention

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

CJacobs posted:

Regardless of your feelings on subtitles, I think we can all agree that games that launch directly into the story right out of the publisher logos without allowing you to access an options menu first are just the worst.

Jak 2 and 3 got this poo poo right in the mid 00s! it did launch you into a cutscene but before any dialogue happened you got a prompt that was like hey press square if you want subtitles going forward. I always really liked that and dont know why it never caught on.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thought Kingdom Hearts were menu games?

If that were a Platinum joint you might have my attention

I kinda like postgame KH2 as an action game more than some Platinum games

Nina fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 11, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I wish more games intuitively determined camera inversion. The ones I can think of right now that do are Psychonauts and inFamous.

Just ask the player in the beginning to look up, and depending on which direction they move the stick/mouse, figure out whether they want it inverted or not.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Whoops

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol at how much better this looks than ffxv

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
man the kingdom hearts art style don't look too good in HD

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Very excited for a look at this game that won't come out for like 3 loving years

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

Did you not see how smooth goofy's neighbors chin curves looked

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaggitz posted:

Jak 2 and 3 got this poo poo right in the mid 00s! it did launch you into a cutscene but before any dialogue happened you got a prompt that was like hey press square if you want subtitles going forward. I always really liked that and dont know why it never caught on.

Brutal Legend did this too.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I wish more games intuitively determined camera inversion. The ones I can think of right now that do are Psychonauts and inFamous.

Just ask the player in the beginning to look up, and depending on which direction they move the stick/mouse, figure out whether they want it inverted or not.

This rules. Had no idea Psychonauts did this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

What's wrong with this

It's good

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Looper posted:

Are you telling me you don't want to see crusty Xehanort's every pore.

Honestly it's a bit plasticy on non-Disney characters but it looks grand in motion and the Disney boys look just right.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
For me, what looks off is a combination of the hair, pete's outfit, and the increasing contrast between the highly detailed square characters vs the cartoonish disney ones.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I gotta hand it to them Hades is looking fantastic

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

What's wrong with this

It's good

strix meant the kind of sigh where you're swooning

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

It's kind of sad that one of the gimmicks the PS2 version of KH2 pushed was the fact that there were a few parts where they were able to render armies of hundreds of enemies onscreen but a decade later KH3 looks like it has the same small areas and clusters of enemies,

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

It's kind of sad that one of the gimmicks the PS2 version of KH2 pushed was the fact that there were a few parts where they were able to render armies of hundreds of enemies onscreen but a decade later KH3 looks like it has the same small areas and clusters of enemies,

Based on what we've seen though the worlds are pretty vast this time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nina posted:

Based on what we've seen though the worlds are pretty vast this time

That isn't necessarily a good thing.

I remember the worlds of kingdom hearts 2 that weren't the final world and the first world and for the most part they felt like they just dragged a lot, with way too much open space in some cases. The worlds in that game simultaneously managed to feel both drawn out and too short imo. That may just be me though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Despite being an old fucker I doubt I'll ever get fully into retro gaming. Bought all the SSI Gold Box games off GOG after playing them as a kid. Got very excited to play an Unlimited Adventures (pretty much a create-a-rpg utility) version of Pool of Radiance.

After over an hour of scouring message boards for instructions and modules and then finally getting it going I made a party and lost all motivation...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My wallet!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

My wallet!

7XX (currently sold out)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if Hyper Light Drifter is good

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Looper posted:

They've been tweaking the visuals time and time again. They just don't seem happy with the look of the characters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Help Im Alive posted:

Yes, yes it is

The boss fights are really hard though

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Hyper Light Drifter is great

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

They better be revealing the Wreck-It Ralph world next month

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The shadowy still at the end of the KH3 trailer kinda sorta looks like a Gurren Lagann drill.

CJacobs posted:

Regardless of your feelings on subtitles, I think we can all agree that games that launch directly into the story right out of the publisher logos without allowing you to access an options menu first are just the worst.

I fired up Horizon Zero Dawn last night and it starts with some language questions and my subtitle preference before jumping into the opening cutscene, and gives you access to a real options menu before any gameplay. I think that was a nice compromise but console games don't need a lot of fiddling with the graphics so I don't presume it would be perfect for PC games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to the traditional "Microsoft underwhelms everybody followed by Ubi putting on a show so bad that you partially suspect they're doing it on purpose at this point" day

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

#girlwood

(i like ubisoft's conferences idk)

Regy Rusty posted:

Hyper Light Drifter is great

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes, yes it is

The boss fights are really hard though

Cool I just noticed today it's on sale in Europe (PS4) so I'll probably pick it up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

glam rock hamhock posted:

Looking forward to the traditional "Microsoft underwhelms everybody followed by Ubi putting on a show so bad that you partially suspect they're doing it on purpose at this point" day

Bethesda is after Microsoft, Ubi isn't until tomorrow evening.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Bethesda is after Microsoft, Ubi isn't until tomorrow evening.

My bad I guess it's "Microsoft underwhelms everybody followed by Bethesda underwhelming you so much that it makes the MS conference look exciting" day

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope the Bethesda audience is as enthusiastic as it was last year

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bethesda: I don't know, whaddya morons want this year? Fallout 5? Elder Scrolls? Is that all you ever care about, you idiots?
Gaming Public: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbUpGoOjFWw

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

the bethesda conference is at 5am my timezone lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Bethesda will once again revive an old IP and it will look underwhelming at best and end up being really good. They've managed that two years in a row now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

the bethesda conference is at 5am my timezone lol

Yeah I'll probably watch MS but gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

They better be revealing the Wreck-It Ralph world next month

It would be an exclusively Sugar Rush themed area and would contain one of the worst racing mini games in years.

• Locked thread