Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

This one

Onmi posted:

I will also say that your positive memories of the comics in those early issues (especially the mini-series) are most likely nostalgia. They don't hold up. A few years ago /co/ did a "Sonic Marathon" where they storytimed the whole series from issue 1 to the then latest issue

Not that I don't agree with this point, but trusting the opinions of /co/? Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I didn't remember it at all as a child but playing Sonic 3C I've realized falling through the geometry has long been part of Sonic's DNA.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The early stuff absolutely holds up because it's so simple and fun. It's just lots of puns and jokes around some simple stories with some surprisingly acerbic quips in there too. My favorite thing about re-reading the early Sonic comics was noticing the environmental commentary that completely passed me by as a kid. Sonic's message at its core was an environmental one, so seeing it realized in that way is nice.

When it starts trying to get serious? Yeah, it probably doesn't hold up as well. I know Mecha Madness probably isn't as good as I remember and Endgame was ridiculously contrived, but I still love it. :colbert:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ventana posted:

This one

Not that I don't agree with this point, but trusting the opinions of /co/? Idk

I don't see how you can misconstrue "Every page of every issue posted" when it comes to judging something. Besides, Ian and Jon Gray dropped by, it was fun, even got a shout out in Sonic Universe.

VJeff posted:

The early stuff absolutely holds up because it's so simple and fun. It's just lots of puns and jokes around some simple stories with some surprisingly acerbic quips in there too. My favorite thing about re-reading the early Sonic comics was noticing the environmental commentary that completely passed me by as a kid. Sonic's message at its core was an environmental one, so seeing it realized in that way is nice.

When it starts trying to get serious? Yeah, it probably doesn't hold up as well. I know Mecha Madness probably isn't as good as I remember and Endgame was ridiculously contrived, but I still love it. :colbert:

Oh the Mike Gallagher stuff is amazingly fun. The moment the series tries to take itself seriously it slowly becomes more awful. That said, Mecha Madness actually does kinda stand out as being pretty okay.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This guy here is going through all the comics issue by issue too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Spiderdrake posted:

I didn't remember it at all as a child but playing Sonic 3C I've realized falling through the geometry has long been part of Sonic's DNA.

If it isn't loaded with game breaking bugs, it isn't a Sonic game bro

Imagine if Bethesda made a Sonic game

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

You'd have to download a mod before Sonic actually goes fast.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Onmi posted:

I don't see how you can misconstrue "Every page of every issue posted" when it comes to judging something. Besides, Ian and Jon Gray dropped by, it was fun, even got a shout out in Sonic Universe.

Not sure what you're talking about with miscontruing anything, just taking a jab at 4chan. In my experience, /co/ has sometimes been okay, but most of the time it's about the same as the mildest parts of 4chan. Pretty nice though to hear those guys stop by though; always fun when Comic writers/artists reach out to communities.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sounds like Sonic 06 to me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bethesda games always get higher ratings than they deserve despite loads of terrible bugs cause bethesda & newer sonic always gets lower scores despite being great because it's sonic so what would a sonic bethesda game earn I wonder

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It would be reviewed fairly and sell moderately well.

Then the Elder Sonic Scrolls modding scene would start and eh, you all know what happens next.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

At least we'll be able to romance Eggman.

What a man.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so Sonic Runners Adventure released early in Russia of all places and

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Bethesda games always get higher ratings than they deserve despite loads of terrible bugs cause bethesda

Ehhh, they also get those ratings because there's almost nothing else out there that can match them when it comes to world exploration fun and the 'over-the-next-hill' effect.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I like Hill Top Zone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the part with the rising lava stressed me as a child

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

elf help book posted:

I like Hill Top Zone.

My favorite 2D Sonic music.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yo, Sonic 3 Complete is really cool. Also, the person who put in those springs at the start of Hydrocity Act 2 is still a real bastard 23 years later.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TFRazorsaw posted:

so Sonic Runners Adventure released early in Russia of all places and

For some reason the game looks worse than the first Sonic Runners, I guess in part to the fact they scrapped the shading style they used the first time around.

Maybe the game's not done yet and they'll add it in later?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I missed out on the first Runners, looking forward to trying the new one out

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

It's funny how much harder games seemed as a child. There's this one section in chemical plant zone where you have to jump onto a ledge but the floor immediately before it periodically disappears, and child me used to freak the gently caress out to the point where I used to call my mum to do it for me.

It's literally just one jump that takes about 2 seconds max.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viewtiful Jew posted:

For some reason the game looks worse than the first Sonic Runners, I guess in part to the fact they scrapped the shading style they used the first time around.

Maybe the game's not done yet and they'll add it in later?

There's a lot of things that just make it visually quite lazy compared to the first runners, but yeah the lack of thick outlines stands out the most since it was fairly prominent before. The UI is also quite a bit more lazily done.

Looking it up, apparently it was made by Gameloft instead of Sonic Team, and it suddenly makes sense to me. With the game looking as it is, and Gameloft's track record (never been a fan of their games), ehhhhh I think I'll wait on this game or just pass it up.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Onmi posted:

I will also say that your positive memories of the comics in those early issues (especially the mini-series) are most likely nostalgia. They don't hold up. A few years ago /co/ did a "Sonic Marathon" where they storytimed the whole series from issue 1 to the then latest issue (Just before the Pendering) As one of the people who did in fact cover for issues while the OPs internet went down... yeah, they were actually quite terrible.

That said, this image is still basically "The Sonic comic experience" to anyone who started from issue 1

Got an archive of the threads somewhere? The responses and the shared vitriol ought to be something worth enjoying.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Does Ian at least have other work now? Sad that Sonic Comic's finally dead, but I'm more worried about the cool people involved than the publication.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Yo, Sonic 3 Complete is really cool. Also, the person who put in those springs at the start of Hydrocity Act 2 is still a real bastard 23 years later.

S3&K removes a surprising amount of dick moves from the S3 levels. I got good at S3&K first, so going back to the S3 layouts in S3C had me cracking up at the stupid, cheap deaths.

I tried to find if someplace online documented all the changes, but nothing turned up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Stairmaster posted:

The part with the lava confused me, because there's a gate to the right that's open but the lava clips above it. That was a moment early in my gaming life when I realized that even professional first-party games can have tiny amounts of jank.

I didn't figure out until years later that you're meant to kind of hop up and down on the floating platform in the middle of the lava as it rises and falls, because I always had the invincibility power-up at that part. I thought you were supposed to outrun the lava, but I don't think that's actually possible.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

The part with the lava confused me, because there's a gate to the right that's open but the lava clips above it. That was a moment early in my gaming life when I realized that even professional first-party games can have tiny amounts of jank.

I didn't figure out until years later that you're meant to kind of hop up and down on the floating platform in the middle of the lava as it rises and falls, because I always had the invincibility power-up at that part. I thought you were supposed to outrun the lava, but I don't think that's actually possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msaihUGv0SY&t=155s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I thought you were supposed to outrun the lava, but I don't think that's actually possible.

Literally been doing exactly that for 20+ years ,scrub., gotta go fast.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Crabtree posted:

Does Ian at least have other work now? Sad that Sonic Comic's finally dead, but I'm more worried about the cool people involved than the publication.

If SEGA is smart they'll swoop him up to either keep writing the comic for whoever gets the license next or just directly write Sonic games from now on.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Guys I had a date last night that didn't go so well and I had to tell a very nice young lady that I don't see a future between us :smith: and I'm watching some sonic videos today to help clear my head and finally got time to finish up Cybershell's comic book vid I think I got a shout out at the end along with some of you other fine posters and that just made my day :unsmith: Thank you for your fantastic service, everyone.

Only 2 months to go until sonic proves once again that this crazy hedgehog's still got some fight left in him. Have a great Sunday, everyone. 🙏

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 12, 2017

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 4, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Eggman/Robotnik/create-a-villain?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Where's our strategy war game Eggman's Ambition, Sega??

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Eggman/Robotnik/create-a-villain?

thousands of moustache combinations, unprecedented level of control over body fat distribution, finally YOU are The Eggman

sneak preview:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Crabtree posted:

I know he at least works on the IDW TMNT book and he writes the Jughead comic.

Dinictus posted:

Got an archive of the threads somewhere? The responses and the shared vitriol ought to be something worth enjoying.

It's probably on one archive, but each one I found had search disabled, and The Ride (what the storytime was called) was during 2014. For the record, The Ride went on for several months, covering every issue of the Archie comics, including the side stories, Sonic X and the Brazillian Megaman comic. what /sthg/ is now owes a lot to The Ride, since it was basically an explosion of fanart and edited images.

EDIT: I just looked on /sthg/ they do have a MEGA archive of The Ride

https://mega.nz/#F!xFAWhZTI!yoE_zGlwfNrwexXd5BCnGQ

I'm on limited net so I haven't gone through it but this looks to be a collection of everything edited. I'll see if I can't find links to the threads since I'm fairly certain that's all just the art content that got made.

EDIT: Oh god... memories

"Writer and Artist: Ken Penders"

Kelp Plankton posted:

thousands of moustache combinations, unprecedented level of control over body fat distribution, finally YOU are The Eggman

sneak preview:

I'm Hulk Hogan Eggman

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 12, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I want to see this.

Edit: Also Knuckles was Green for like 3 years.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Why would you Timg this, this is like the pinnacle of everything penders. The one guy's bizarrely human mouth, Juli-su thrusting her chest out in terror, Knuckles weird goggle-eyes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so is this really solely on ken penders' shoulders or does his editor share that blame

quote:

I'm Hulk Hogan Eggman
no you can't, it's already permanently associated with macaluso to me

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The White Dragon posted:

so is this really solely on ken penders' shoulders or does his editor share that blame

This was well into the era where Bollers and Penders were basically siloed off into the A and B stories of their respective issues, and Penders was god-king of his own little universe. I doubt the editor could have convinced him to scratch his own rear end if he didn't want to.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

no you can't, it's already permanently associated with macaluso to me

They can be Nega Hulk Hogan Eggman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Electric Phantasm posted:

They can be Nega Hulk Hogan Eggman.

Oof, I don't think Hulk Hegman wants to be associated with that word anymore.