Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

GunnerJ posted:

This reminds me that in one of the really early chapters, Duane found a belt buckle or something from a Crescian soldier that said "Republic of Cresce" on it (iirc). Was that retconned or are they going with the Roman principate "We're totally a republic even though we have a monarch, honest!" thing?

I would be shocked if it wasn't the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't Cresce have communist leanings? That might well be related.

Or maybe that's reading the wrong thing into the whole "this city is inefficient so we're demolishing it" business.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Cresce is kinda sorta communist. They've outlawed money and the state runs everything, including picking your career. On paper they're dedicated to material equality, but what this means in practice is any city that doesn't contribute into the pot as much as it takes out gets shut down.

For an example of what this looks like when the city doesn't want to play along, consider the previous chapter.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Well, that's not entirely true. Ethelmik was definitely an outlier in how it chose to behave after it was going to be shuttered - getting in bed with the Sharteshanians and running straight up against a once-in-a-lifetime conspiracy to assassinate the Queen. I'd imagine most town dismantlings go significantly more peacefully and don't involve the destruction of the town to cover up political upheaval. Even if the city didn't want to play, in most cases it wouldn't involve staging a fake Aldish attack and mass murder.

Both Alderode and Cresce seem to have pretty garbage governments, and I'm betting that when we see Sharteshane's it's going to also go off to the garbage races.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd imagine the majority of dismantlings are considerably more peaceful than what we witnessed last chapter; the important thing to take away from that example is that the mass-slaughter of their own is an option the Crescian government is apprently prepared to take. We also don't know exactly how common (or uncommon) it is since we're mostly just familiar with the goverment byline of urban relocation.

As for Sharteshane, it's been heavily implied people like Sette's dad hold most of the political power in the region, so I'm sure it's just as terrible as Cresce and Alderode, just in a different way.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Pretty sure Sharteshane is an anarchic failed state where the power is entirely held by local warlords and criminals, and any higher order is ornamental at best.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Both Alderode and Cresce seem to have pretty garbage governments, and I'm betting that when we see Sharteshane's it's going to also go off to the garbage races.

otoh:

Raposa posted:

Sharteshane Domination!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Turns out this entire comic is just one long anarchist tract.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sette having body-image issues, but at least the timing was good.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Eeech, Sette.

Also time to get the gently caress outta the water I'mma guess.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Reading this update was the exact moment I realized that I hate the thing where one character is getting up in another's grill, who seems to be trying to de-escalate things, and the first one is like "no gently caress you!" and then the second one points out some nearby calamity that renders the whole conflict moot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like this comic, but I'm uncomfortable about a naked child's body being an important plot point.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like this comic, but I'm uncomfortable about a naked child's body being an important plot point.

I would be uncomfortable with it if the comic was sexualizing her, but it's kind of the opposite? The importance is that she's sexless and ageless, probably because she's some kind of fragment of a god.

I don't know, I haven't thought through it completely, but that's where I'm leaning.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Can somebody with no nipples ever be truly naked :2bong:

Also, I read Slothful Cobra's post, then checked their rap sheet and loving lol

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Sette is canonically immortal so she lacks all ability to breed and all traces of primary sexual characteristics, this was a deliberate choice by someone... also seems like a small price to pay to be immortal tbh

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Sette could also be a senet beast.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The Kickstarter for Volume Three is up, if any of you fine people would like to support the comic and get goodies:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502093706/unsounded-comic-volume-3

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Sette could also be a senet beast.

Unless the cut and dry pymary rules Ashley set up herself and follows pretty closely are going to get broken, I doubt this.

Ashley said wrights can't directly cast on first materials / senet beasts, and that Duane directly casts on Sette to heal her, and even uses the tanish word for "human flesh" when casting to do so. This page and the one after it go over it, and Ashley referenced it on tumblr.
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch11/ch11_16.html

Still no idea what Sette is exactly, but not a senet beast unless she is "the super most special one of all ever who can break all the rules" which i guess, but would be lame and unlikely.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

According to today's comic, Chiz has difficulty discerning senet beasts, making it even more unlikely that Sette could be one of theirs.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Twenty Four posted:

Unless the cut and dry pymary rules Ashley set up herself and follows pretty closely are going to get broken, I doubt this.

Ashley said wrights can't directly cast on first materials / senet beasts, and that Duane directly casts on Sette to heal her, and even uses the tanish word for "human flesh" when casting to do so. This page and the one after it go over it, and Ashley referenced it on tumblr.
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch11/ch11_16.html

Still no idea what Sette is exactly, but not a senet beast unless she is "the super most special one of all ever who can break all the rules" which i guess, but would be lame and unlikely.

Just a minor thing: you can do magic on first materials, but normally it requires direct contact and a special tool to put the spells into the first material. The whole reason the gang is heading to this temple is to use one of these machines to fix Uaid's leg since Rahm's smaller one couldn't handle the job. Sette being a "first human" with common spells already burned into her is a real stretch though.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

akulanization posted:

Just a minor thing: you can do magic on first materials, but normally it requires direct contact and a special tool to put the spells into the first material. The whole reason the gang is heading to this temple is to use one of these machines to fix Uaid's leg since Rahm's smaller one couldn't handle the job. Sette being a "first human" with common spells already burned into her is a real stretch though.

Yeah they can burn spells into first materials with a spellburner or whatever to make pymarics and stuff. But otherwise the reason that, say, Toma has a first material sword is specifically because it is a pymary blocker. You can't just cast directly on it on the spot, and I think he used it to block some spells, if I remember correctly.

More importantly to Sette not being a senet beast, the senet beasts have their own khert, so they are basically their own little world, and can't be directly casted on. Like, a wright could gather heat aspect and make a fireball and throw it at a senet beast, but couldn't cast directly on it. In practice it can be almost the same results, but, for Duane casting directly on Sette to heal her, it matters, especially since he has to use the exact name of the material he is casting on, human flesh.

What really are these characters exactly, and how do others react to them? It's a common theme in the story. Are Duane and Timmofey really alive? Is one but not the other? Is "alive" just semantics? Are Sette's mutations just a glitch in the khert when she was created, or something else? Not as much of a mystery, but, how people treat and react to these unique characters (among others) also seems pretty central to the story. The last few pages with the water woman Minnow is pointing at this theme again.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The Kickstarter just funded, so delivery is now guaranteed, just in case you were waiting around for that.

There's a stretch goal to reprint volume 2, too, so you may want to chip in if you don't have that one yet. And, of course, register your choice in the good pin vs evil pin battle royale going on over there.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
The audio update for the kickstarter is pretty funny.

Ashley Cope posted:

I don't really read webcomics much myself... which kind of is a strange thing to admit, since I do them.

I do love print comics! But I'm just not patient enough for webcomics. So, I admire anyone who's able to follow along on the web.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay what the hell is that thing.

Also the Black Tongues have their own hell dimension. Huh.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The Real Dark Souls begins Here

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Last day of the Unsounded Kickstarter! If you want either of those pins, you'd best get in on it now, because it appears they aren't going to be in the store.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502093706/unsounded-comic-volume-3

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
The javascript-animated pages are always a surprise. Quite pretty, though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i do have to wonder how that one will be translated to paper

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Tollymain posted:

i do have to wonder how that one will be translated to paper

They'll be like in a children's book, where you pull a tab and Winnie the Pooh floats up a tree, or the Babadook murders your dog.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well dang, I had kind of liked Sonorie from what I saw of her, or at least was surprised and thought perhaps the rumors were wrong. Instead it seems that they, and even Duane, have underestimated just how bad she really is. I have a feeling those plots against her aren't going to go as well as the plotters hope.

Also, Chorley there is calling Bastion out. Bastion, the's an evil lawyer or something, but he's also right; you're like an overdramatic teenager sometimes.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Well dang, I had kind of liked Sonorie from what I saw of her, or at least was surprised and thought perhaps the rumors were wrong. Instead it seems that they, and even Duane, have underestimated just how bad she really is. I have a feeling those plots against her aren't going to go as well as the plotters hope.

Also, Chorley there is calling Bastion out. Bastion, the's an evil lawyer or something, but he's also right; you're like an overdramatic teenager sometimes.

Bell and Sonorie deserve each other.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Skulls have done nothing wrong." :allears:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I wanna love whats happening but I'm honestly loving confused, its like the silver except instead of mystifying art its mystifying politics bullshit with a bunch've names I've only heard in dialogue and don't care about. Please bring back my zombie hasbando.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Someone mentioned in the comments that General Bell also has a bite mark on his throat, although I have no idea what that means for the story. Sonorie is setting up her own coup?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I wanna love whats happening but I'm honestly loving confused, its like the silver except instead of mystifying art its mystifying politics bullshit with a bunch've names I've only heard in dialogue and don't care about. Please bring back my zombie hasbando.

OK, here's the quick and dirty.

* The Terrible TItbird, Lady Ilganyag, used to pretty much run the Black Tongues by whispering weird secrets into their mind. Once Duane showed up, she stopped doing this. (Possibly because she was only hanging on until someone invented something like Duane.)
* The Black Tongues now don't know what the gently caress to do without her support. A faction of them has decided that an evil snakeman that can extract memories from your soul via its venom is an acceptable substitute.
* The guy being skeletonized in the background who was murdered totally committed suicide is the former leader of the Black Tongues, Ballanstern. Bastion speculates, almost certainly accurately, that he didn't like the idea of putting the organization in charge of an evil snakeman, and he was bumped off as a result. The skeletonization is just the usual funeral rite given to ex-Black-Tongue leaders.
* The unconscious dude that the snakeman is carrying around in his backpack is Roger Foi-Hellick, the youngest and most recent husband of the Queen of Cresce, Sonorie. He's an Aldish expat like Quigley, and pretty much everyone in Cresce is upset about her marrying him. It turns out she was only doing it to have the evil snakeman mine his soul for information on how the special Aldish khert works so that they can more effectively annihilate them. We just got introduced to all these people not long ago so we don't care much except that this is a super, super lovely thing to do to a person.
* This is all relevant to our interests because Duane is walking right into the middle of all this bullshit. He's a valuable product of Bastion's that most of the Black Tongues would love to examine, and by examine I mean dissect. He's an Aldish patriot even though they're all lovely garbage people. He's in Cresce right now. All of this terrible nonsense is going to come crashing down on his head, and we're just kind of getting a preview of it right now.
* Bastion would totally have five Linkin Park posters in his room, minimum.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nice. Especially thanks for telling me who back-pack boy is. I forgot that dude totally. Although I still pine for Dwayne's world.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

* The unconscious dude that the snakeman is carrying around in his backpack is Roger Foi-Hellick, the youngest and most recent husband of the Queen of Cresce, Sonorie. He's an Aldish expat like Quigley, and pretty much everyone in Cresce is upset about her marrying him. It turns out she was only doing it to have the evil snakeman mine his soul for information on how the special Aldish khert works so that they can more effectively annihilate them. We just got introduced to all these people not long ago so we don't care much except that this is a super, super lovely thing to do to a person.

This might be right, but it also seems possible from what we have seen of her that the queen might not be entirely knowledgable about all of this. General Bell definately has his own agenda going on behind her back for one. I wouldn't expect evil snake man and weasel lawyer friend that claim the black tongue leader that was opposing them totally just happened to kill himself to be the pinnacle of honesty, and they are the only source of information we have on this so far.

I'm not commiting one way or another, but it does seem quite a few people seem to claim to be acting in accordance to the queens wishes as a cover story while just doing whatever they want and presenting their own version of events.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So wait, I thought the silver was part of a plan by the general who's overstepping beyond what the Queen wants to do in the war, and is planning some sort of coup.

And so the Queen's marrying an ald who she brainwashed or some crazy poo poo? I don't really get that. I assume this whole thing will make more sense in time, but for now it's clear as mud.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SlothfulCobra posted:

So wait, I thought the silver was part of a plan by the general who's overstepping beyond what the Queen wants to do in the war, and is planning some sort of coup.

And so the Queen's marrying an ald who she brainwashed or some crazy poo poo? I don't really get that. I assume this whole thing will make more sense in time, but for now it's clear as mud.

Queen married the Ald so that she could dissolve his mind and extract tactical inside knowledge about Alderode. It's not really that obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rime posted:

Queen married the Ald so that she could dissolve his mind and extract tactical inside knowledge about Alderode. It's not really that obtuse.

This.

Bell's coup is a separate plot that's entirely unrelated. Unless Queen Sonorie is some sort of mastermind and she organized that too. Maybe it would be a way to identify and then later destroy dissidents as well as get a dangerous super weapon into Alderode? Someone mentioned Bell having an odd neck scar so the snake might have done something to him.