Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No quadriplegics in heaven. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

we'll accept you if you dont have arms but you really gotta sink your teeth into those rungs

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

RFC2324 posted:

Also that's WAY too small to read.

Or more traditionally,

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Facebook Aunt posted:

No quadriplegics in heaven. :(

Don't be silly, all gifts are accepted by Aranaktu.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

You all may have forgotten it, but the Shitpost Bot 5000 is still going strong:

https://twitter.com/ShitpostBot5000/status/874166951580454912

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
doot doot

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Or more traditionally,

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That better not be Bart you fucker <:mad:>

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/874019528925171712

What about the memes?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
They're good memes, Bront

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I thought we were all here to make friends?!?!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Who What Now posted:

I thought we were all here to make friends?!?!

This ain't comic-con!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Love can bloom on the battlefield.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So was he too racist, or not racist enough?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

the_steve posted:

So was he too racist, or not racist enough?

Racist, but against the wrong minority.

I appreciate that they called him a Nazi gently caress and and that the protestors seemed to be committed to being on point about why they were there ("This isn't about anti-communism, this is about the monument")

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What were they trying to protest about in the first place? Confederate statue removals?

Also I'm all the people who brought firearms to a protest. :911:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/pQKAwWn.gifv

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:golfclap:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

PittTheElder posted:

What were they trying to protest about in the first place? Confederate statue removals?

I'm the tactical kilt

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PittTheElder posted:

It was the counter-protest for a leftie protest of a confederate statue. Except there was no leftie protest. An alt right troll made a fake account telling everyone there was going to be a big protest against the statue. The left saw through the ruse and didn't go. The right wing groups saw the (fake) posts about the protest and organized a counter protest. They got all riled up and there was nothing going on there.

TLDR: A troll trolled he own side. A shameful troll.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A nazi troll trolled redneck racists and got a nazi troll dunked on.

Meanwhile the left sat there enjoying the right cannibalizing itself.

Good times.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm not a nazi or a redneck but I see any statue removal the same as book removal or history washing.

The Germans will straight up arrest you for even suggesting that the holocaust maybe possibly didn't happen, but the Japanese would probably say "Nanking? Never heard of it!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That would be a fitting analogy if Italy had statues of Mussolini extolling his skills at railroad scheduling.

The confederate statues are the attempt to whitewash history. These brave sons of the South who valiantly stood up to government overreach and not because they wanted to keep owning human beings. They're not a product of their time, they're like the confederate flag, they went up well after the fact when people started breaching the idea of civil equality.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Jun 13, 2017

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:kiddo:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Most Confederate statues were put up during the civil rights movement as a gently caress you to black people.

And tearing them down doesn't "erase history" unless you're retarded and never heard of books, which you probably are if you think the only way to learn about history is by looking at statues put up by racists.

This is the best meme. 2017 finally has a good meme.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ak Gara posted:

I'm not a nazi or a redneck but I see any statue removal the same as book removal or history washing.

As said, those statues were nothing except an attempt to whitewash history in the first place. You don't get to put up a statues of guys like Robert E. Lee and Bedford Forrest and talk about how they were just noble southern gentlemen defending their way of life without bothering to include exactly what that way of life was.

Notice how there were never too many statues of James Longstreet in the south, and wonder why that might be.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Jun 13, 2017

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

The Germans will straight up arrest you for even suggesting that the holocaust maybe possibly didn't happen, but the Japanese would probably say "Nanking? Never heard of it!"

Personally I'd prefer statues of now-reviled people to be moved somewhere else. They should still be displayed, especially if they are at all old, but statues of people who the city now considers disgraceful probably shouldn't be adorning public squares in the middle of downtown. But really it's all up to the community in question to decide if and where they want to move statues, outsiders who don't live there shouldn't be pressuring them either way, IMO.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Jun 13, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

oh for sure man

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sucrose posted:

Personally I'd prefer statues of now-reviled people to be moved somewhere else. They should still be displayed, especially if they are at all old, but statues of people who the city now considers disgraceful probably shouldn't be adorning public squares in the middle of downtown. But really it's all up to the community in question to decide if and where they want to move statues, outsiders who don't live there shouldn't be pressuring them either way, IMO.

An old statue museum or park. Go see all the horrible old statues in one spot!

Heck, if they are publicly owned, sell them. The new owner can take on the costs to maintain and display them privately. Or melt them down for scrap. :capitalism:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hope no rich nazi buys them all and establishes a sieg heilarium downtown

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I cannot think of a better way to commemorate Hitler than with a fuckoff humongous bronze statue in central park, have some trees around, some fountains, attract all of the birds, have the dude awash in bird feces for eternity.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Make it one of his iconic skyward yelp spaz poses to, make him froth at the mouth proper. Gargle that guano bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

It would depend on the statue in question, if it's a generic 'for our boys' statue I don't see any harm, but if it's of a particularly objectionable person it's fine to remove it regardless of historical value.