Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

thanks everyone.

There's no chance I'll be able to get this person to reconsider. I'll ask them to leave me details on their route, possible "plan b" routes, and recommend a device. He is very experienced with good judgement but a bit of a luddite on technology as you can see

the rough conditions out there are not surprising, he says he knows what to avoid and when to turn back. my feeling is he'll hike at lower elevations upon seeing what he's in for

here's what the nutjob will attempt:
http://www.summitpost.org/scimitar-pass-to-southwest-chutes/161396 - I mean, no way this is happening with the snow level

I've gone up Sill via the glacier in the winter and it's a gnarly route. Going up to Scimitar Pass and then ascending from there is pretty doable as a light mountaineering trip, so if he's very experienced and has good judgement, why not. Better as always to do it with a partner in case something happens, but there are plenty of people out there who prefer solo trips and are willing to take the consequences. The phone thing was just a weird expectation that you wouldn't expect an experienced mountaineer to have. He should have a Spot or some sort of PLB at the least if he's doing High Sierra routes in the winter solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Please execute the trail designers buffet style for AT miles 665-685. Thanks in advance.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

George H.W. oval office posted:

Please execute the trail designers buffet style for AT miles 665-685. Thanks in advance.

I had this thought coming down Dragons Tooth the other day.

Edit: Ooh yeah that section sucked out loud.

Hunterhr fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 11, 2017

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Well, it finally happened. Guess I waited too long to reapply permethin to my shorts.
Got a tick on my dick :stonk:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Flambeau posted:

Make sure to check your buttcrack too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Don't forget the gooch. Better get a mirror and a flashlight.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Verman posted:

Better get a mirror and a flashlight.
And now it comes out why everyone wants to hike with friends. :staredog:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

And now it comes out why everyone wants to hike with friends. :staredog:

It's a great way to find out how good a friend they are that is for sure. Waking up in gaol next to your buddy isn't as good a friend as picking a tick out of your friends multi-day hike stank butt.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
While it has been well over a decade since I've had a tick latch on to me here in the Smokies (I have seen them), it was common to find as many as 2 or 3 latching on to you after any field op at Camp Lejeune. Many times I've had another Marine shine a light up rear end, and I've returned the favor.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Flambeau posted:

Well, it finally happened. Guess I waited too long to reapply permethin to my shorts.

I had one on my nuts a few weeks ago. I need to reapply as well.

How throughly wet with sweat do shorts have to be to count as a "wash"?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Flambeau posted:

CopperHound posted:

Make sure to check your buttcrack too.

My greatest phobia, after leeches doing the same

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

nate fisher posted:

While it has been well over a decade since I've had a tick latch on to me here in the Smokies (I have seen them), it was common to find as many as 2 or 3 latching on to you after any field op at Camp Lejeune.

I picked this one up in the Chilhowee area of Cherokee Natl Forest. My big Smokies trip got rained out last month, hopefully I can get a few days out there in autumn.

bongwizzard posted:

How throughly wet with sweat do shorts have to be to count as a "wash"?

That's a good question.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Flambeau posted:

That's a good question.

Also just water contact in general. I am trimming down to a single pair of "outdoors" shorts (plus a spare in the car) and want to figure out how often I have to re-treat them.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Hey Alan_Shore - you still hiking?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hunterhr posted:

I had this thought coming down Dragons Tooth the other day.

Edit: Ooh yeah that section sucked out loud.

Confirmed coming down Dragons Tooth sucked a butt. I've descended to a shelter full of Girl Scouts on their first hike. It's so :3:

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Anyone here backpack on Isle Royal? I'm just curious about what routes you took, time of the year and whatnot. We're hoping to go next year for a min of 6 nights with the last night being at the Rock Harbor Lodge. My initial thought was Windigo to Rock Harbor, mostly along the Green Ridge, but I've only just really started looking.

Either the start or end of the season cuz bugs

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005
I did a short trip there a few years back in mid July. Took the Ranger III from Hougton in on Tuesday, spent 4 nights and took it back on Saturday. Camped at Three Mile, Daisy Farm, Lane Cove, and Rock Harbor. I loved Lane Cove, the other spots were a bit too busy for me - I got really sick of hearing the screen doors on the shelters slam shut. The section we did on the Greenstone Ridge trail was really nice, you could go fast and see a lot up on the ridge.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

ronaldreagan posted:

I did a short trip there a few years back in mid July. Took the Ranger III from Hougton in on Tuesday, spent 4 nights and took it back on Saturday. Camped at Three Mile, Daisy Farm, Lane Cove, and Rock Harbor. I loved Lane Cove, the other spots were a bit too busy for me - I got really sick of hearing the screen doors on the shelters slam shut. The section we did on the Greenstone Ridge trail was really nice, you could go fast and see a lot up on the ridge.

I've come across some other refs about how nice Lane Cove is.

Cool thanks

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dukket posted:

Anyone here backpack on Isle Royal? I'm just curious about what routes you took, time of the year and whatnot. We're hoping to go next year for a min of 6 nights with the last night being at the Rock Harbor Lodge. My initial thought was Windigo to Rock Harbor, mostly along the Green Ridge, but I've only just really started looking.

Either the start or end of the season cuz bugs

I've done trips in May and in August. May was nice, no bugs, but August was cool too. You can really fly on the ridges. The stretch from Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm can be pretty gnarly, especially when you're dealing with everyone else on the trail.

The shelters are a double edged sword. The screen doors are a definite bummer. But it's really nice to be in a cozy shelter when a thunderstorm blows through.

McCargo cove is still one of my favorite spots on the island. Lane Cove was cool too.

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

Yooper posted:

dealing with everyone else on the trail.
Oh yeah, this is another thing I didn't really consider when I was planning my trip but I would be more careful of in the future. If you come in on a big boat with a bunch of people, you're all leaving from the same spot at the same time and you end up kind of hiking in a pack to the same campgrounds. Some people are more social and it obviously thinned out eventually but I go into the woods to get away from people. If I was planning another trip I'd probably try to take a smaller transportation option to avoid starting out in a crowd.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

ronaldreagan posted:

Oh yeah, this is another thing I didn't really consider when I was planning my trip but I would be more careful of in the future. If you come in on a big boat with a bunch of people, you're all leaving from the same spot at the same time and you end up kind of hiking in a pack to the same campgrounds. Some people are more social and it obviously thinned out eventually but I go into the woods to get away from people. If I was planning another trip I'd probably try to take a smaller transportation option to avoid starting out in a crowd.

I hadn't really thought about that, but it certainly makes sense. May is when my work really starts to ramp up so taking week or 10 days off is tough, so the late summer fall is more likely. If I remember correctly the park closes in Sept sometime. The boat rides are so long we were pretty seriously considering a sea plane in at least one direction, though I'm not sure we can take fuel on the plane and its not cheap.

I like the idea of starting on one end of the island and finished on the other.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Dukket posted:

I hadn't really thought about that, but it certainly makes sense. May is when my work really starts to ramp up so taking week or 10 days off is tough, so the late summer fall is more likely. If I remember correctly the park closes in Sept sometime. The boat rides are so long we were pretty seriously considering a sea plane in at least one direction, though I'm not sure we can take fuel on the plane and its not cheap.

I like the idea of starting on one end of the island and finished on the other.

I went last year and for my next trip I'll go from one end to the other, Feldtman Ridge and Greenstone. I'll pay the money.

In my four trips there only the Rock Harbor and Daisy Farm campsites were usually packed and seemed to be hubs for people coming and going. The boat rides can be deceptive, they'll be packed, but only a small portion are going far into the park.

Lane Cove, Chippewa Harbor, and McCargo Cove are the best in the East. The west can be hit or miss.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ronaldreagan posted:

Taking the Queen out of Copper Harbor is 3.5 hours on a clear day. On my last trip back it was more like a rolly-polly 5 hours. I had my scopolamine patch and didn't mind it. Unfortunately lots of folks in the back of the boat were quite sick. My next trip is going to be via the floatplane and I plan on doing end to end. Though I'll miss the German restaurant staff doing the dance when you pull back in to the harbor.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Very helpful Isle Royal talk, thanks!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I want to take my dog canoeing. Any suggestions for something cheap for him to lie down on? I was thinking of buying the least expensive yoga mat on amazon.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
That should do fine. We use our sit pads in our packrafts, and that works fine for our smallish dog.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Update in case anyone was curious: relative has returned safely and completed the Scimitar Pass mission in the eastern sierra. I haven't talked to him in-depth yet but it would seem flowing water (rivers) were more of an adversary than the snow.

Not a whole lot of info on Scimitar Pass out there, it is somewhat in 'R.J. Secor mountaineer obscura'.

Here's a video (only 15 views - most I've seen for something on the pass) on Youtube of hikers goofing off there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d5wf2NI-BI

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Are gaiters worth the time and trouble?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ropes4u posted:

Are gaiters worth the time and trouble?

I use them if there's snow. I don't bother otherwise.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr. Powers posted:

Same. I don't feel like they are much 'time and trouble' but there is no need if there isn't snow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drat, REI had a super advertised national mega garage sale this morning and I forgot about it even though I was awake in time.

Could've gotten a Beta AR for cheap.

And by cheap I mean probably still $350 :v:.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The one and only time I went to a garage sale it kinda sucked. I got there an hour early and was in the second group they let in. By the time I got back there everyone had grabbed everything and put into a massive pile they claimed was theirs while they sorted through what they actually wanted.
People actually go as a team. One person grabs an entire rack of clothes and the other person guards their mountain of crap.

The only way to actually get something is too see it someone else's pile, then wait around for an hour and hope they decide they don't want it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I will pay to not deal with that poo poo.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I will pay to not deal with that poo poo.

We went once, it was mad house

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

eSporks posted:

The one and only time I went to a garage sale it kinda sucked. I got there an hour early and was in the second group they let in. By the time I got back there everyone had grabbed everything and put into a massive pile they claimed was theirs while they sorted through what they actually wanted.
People actually go as a team. One person grabs an entire rack of clothes and the other person guards their mountain of crap.

The only way to actually get something is too see it someone else's pile, then wait around for an hour and hope they decide they don't want it.

Those people should be killed.

Mr. Powers posted:

Thank you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've gone a few times and have had decent luck.

I'm pretty fortunate that I'm near the Seattle flagship store though because they literally have so much stuff that they replenish the piles of gear with new stuff for every round of new customers.

I got $230 MSR snowshoes for $80 with only some slight visual wear. They were literally the exact model I was looking for. The clothes are hard for me to sort through though. Ill just pay for new stuff and its rare that there's ever an arcteryx jacket, or its 3xl and done weird color or worn out.

They even had the mountaineering boots i wanted they were just 1 size too small.

There was a lot of good stuff, especially backpacks, tents, and car racks. Likely depends on the location and you have to get there early and have something in mind you're looking for or go in open minded.

The deals are generally steep but you'll have to wait in line or deal with the madness.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Ropes4u posted:

Are gaiters worth the time and trouble money?
Yes. Emphatically yes.

My gaiters weigh less than my goretex rain pants, which I often don't need to carry.

My gaiters can be added or removed without taking off my boots. My rain pants can be shuffled over my boots, but they'll get muddy/wet on the inside in the process.

My gaiters keep things out of my boots. Pants generally don't. It wasn't a problem when I wore 9" boots, but with general hikers it's an issue.

My gaiters are often enough to keep my legs warm if I'm wearing shorts and happen to need a bit of quick protection.

Waterproof pants typically only get worn if it's gonna be raining constantly or if I'll be snowshoeing enough to expect lots of flipping snow or thigh deep powder.

Gaiters get worn in high stream situations, on trails with lots of underbrush, wet plants encroaching the trail, with spikes on slushy ice or ankle deep snow, muddy situations, sometimes even as protection against rocks and boulders, and during snowshoeing.

My hiking buddy just bought some last month and for the first few trips he kept saying, How did I go so long without buying these?!

(I do not own any stock in any gaiter company)

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Wife and I went on a longer hike than we're used to today and my legs are very displeased. My whole body is displeased, really, but mostly my legs.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

My gaiters weigh less than my goretex rain pants, which I often don't need to carry.

Waterproof pants typically only get worn if it's gonna be raining constantly

Gaiters get worn in high stream situations, on trails with lots of underbrush, wet plants encroaching the trail, with spikes on slushy ice or ankle deep snow, muddy situations, sometimes even as protection against rocks and boulders, and during snowshoeing.

Might I add that rain pants suck (except in constant snow) compared to a rain skirt (or kilt, or whatever you want to call it). Same advantages as gaiters. Weigh nothing, on and off in truly about 5 seconds (while walking!), ultra breathable and ultimately you'll end up less wet. Paired with gaiters, it's a great system.

I've been using the ULA rain skirt for about 4 years at work (trailwork; heavy brush, thorns, mud, etc) and it's still perfect. I used the old version of the ZPacks kilt for about 3 years backpacking, and I recently replaced it with the Enlightened Equipment version. They all rule, because rain skirts rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

Might I add that rain pants suck (except in constant snow) compared to a rain skirt (or kilt, or whatever you want to call it). Same advantages as gaiters. Weigh nothing, on and off in truly about 5 seconds (while walking!), ultra breathable and ultimately you'll end up less wet. Paired with gaiters, it's a great system.

I've been using the ULA rain skirt for about 4 years at work (trailwork; heavy brush, thorns, mud, etc) and it's still perfect. I used the old version of the ZPacks kilt for about 3 years backpacking, and I recently replaced it with the Enlightened Equipment version. They all rule, because rain skirts rule.

Oh man I have never heard of such a thing but that is like the best idea! Like it's so loving obvious once you think about it.

Even better, a long skirt will really groove with my current hiking attire: